Multiple Foreign Keys on Same Table #3

Hi,

I have an Orders Table that has Employee1 and Employee2 (one is the
sales rep the other is the telemarketing rep)  Both of these fields
need to cascade update against the Employees table.  I can't seem to
create the desired relationship in a Diagram and I'm not sure how best
to set this up.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

0
wlr (6)

look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321843

Perhaps you might have a look on triggers.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

---
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
---

0
Jens1058 (119)

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

SQL
I want to create a table with member id(primary key for Students,faculty and staff [Tables]) and now i want to create issues[Tables] with foreign key as member id but in references i could not able to pass on reference as or condition for students, faculty and staff. Thank You, Chirag Chirag wrote: > I want to create a table with > > member id(primary key for Students,faculty and staff [Tables]) > > and now i want to create issues[Tables] with foreign key as member id > but in references i could not able to pass on reference as or > condition for students, faculty and staff. Create a Members table, then have all the other tables reference it. On Apr 9, 9:48 am, "Chirag" <chirag.dpa...@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to create a table with > > member id(primary key for Students,faculty and staff [Tables]) > > and now i want to create issues[Tables] with foreign key as member id > but in references i could not able to pass on reference as or > condition for students, faculty and staff. > > Thank You, > Chirag Two options 1. Create multiple member tables member_student,member_faculty,member_staff and issues_student,issues_faculty,issues_staff 2. Create a new column called flag in both the tables like Create table member ( memberid iNT, Flag Char(1) --S - Student, F- Faculty, T - Staff) Primary Key (flag,memberid) Create table Issues (memberid INT, Flag Char(1) -- S - Student, F- Faculty, T- Staff...

Multiple Foreign Keys on Same Table
Hi, I have an Orders Table that has Employee1 and Employee2 (one is the sales rep the other is the telemarketing rep) Both of these fields need to cascade update against the Employees table. I can't seem to create the desired relationship in a Diagram and I'm not sure how best to set this up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance... Don't use the diagram to do this. Use a script: alter table MyTable add constraint FK1_MyTable foreign key (Employee1) references Employees (EmployeeID) on update cascade , constraint FK2_MyTable foreign key (Employee2) references Employees (EmployeeID) on update cascade -- Tom ---------------------------------------------------- Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA SQL Server MVP Columnist, SQL Server Professional Toronto, ON Canada www.pinpub.com .. "FreeToGolfAndSki" <wlr@genoagroup.com> wrote in message news:1143301309.330185.72720@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... Hi, I have an Orders Table that has Employee1 and Employee2 (one is the sales rep the other is the telemarketing rep) Both of these fields need to cascade update against the Employees table. I can't seem to create the desired relationship in a Diagram and I'm not sure how best to set this up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance... It isn't what you asked for, but a better solution is to have an Employees table, A "roles" table, and a Employeesroles table. So, one employee row for every person. Roles would ...

Multiple Foreign Keys on Same Table #2
Hi, I have an Orders Table that has Employee1 and Employee2 (one is the sales rep the other is the telemarketing rep) Both of these fields need to cascade update against the Employees table. I can't seem to create the desired relationship in a Diagram and I'm not sure how best to set this up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance... ...

Foreign key pointing to multiple tables
Hi, I have found a problem that I can't seem to solve in what I consider a nice way. Basicly I have a table called Jobs. Each Job has some details in its table, it also has a type. These are A, B, C, D, E and F. If it is of type A then it needs an additional 10 columns, B 13, C 30 and so on. These additional piecies of information are totally unrelated to those in a different letter. How do I represent this? My first thought was to have a Jobs table which has a foreign key pointing to a Type table, which lists the types, and then a column which has a foreign key to eit...

Foreign keys referring table in other database
Hi ! IDS 11.50.FC6 I need to set up constraints between tables in different databases. According to the documentation the tables used in a foreign key definition must be in the same database. I have also tried to use synonyms and views thar refers the table in the other databas but no success. One idea is to use ER to replicate the tables in question, another would be to write triggers that does a check against synonyms. Any other ideas anybody ? TIA Ulf --_29528b80-cd1d-4bdd-9635-bd292cc1552a_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Tr...

Foreign key references a table in an other schema of the database
Hello, First, I wish you a happy new year ! I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN. I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put every privileges possible but nothing to do. Any idea ? Laurent Laurent RUHLMANN wrote: > > Hello, > > First, I wish you a happy new year ! > > I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner > of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN. > I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN > but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put > every privileges possible but nothing to do. > > Any idea ? > > Laurent Are you using Object or System priviledges? The problem you have seems to relate to object privs. (See Chapter 25 of the 9iR2 DBA manual - topic is too large to discuss here.) "Laurent RUHLMANN" <lruhlmann@ingesoft.fr> a �crit dans le message de news:btjb10$ne6$1@s1.read.news.oleane.net... > Hello, > > First, I wish you a happy new year ! > > > I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner > of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN. > I'm trying to create a for...

Example of multiple foreign key to one table?
Hi, I'm writing a PHP class for representing relationships between tables. One case of inter-table relationships that I believe I need to support is that of a table with multiple foreign keys to another single table. But some people I have talked to don't see the need for supporting this. So I just need a concrete example of this kind of relationship in a plausible database schema, to convince people that I need to support this in my PHP class. Here's an abstract example of what I'm talking about: CREATE TABLE table1 ( table1_id INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY...

renaming multiple tables and retain foreign keys
I have 3 tables with foreign keys limited to the that group of tables. I need to create temp tables with new data create the foreign keys and then replace the current tables with the new tables. how can I do this with retaining the foreign keys thanks for the help john Coltrane wrote: >I have 3 tables with foreign keys limited to the that group of > tables. > I need to create temp tables with new data create the foreign keys > and then replace the current tables with the new tables. > how can I do this with retaining the foreign keys > > thanks for the help > > jo...

Multiple tables refer to one -To use foreign keys or not?
As one of my first encounters with SQL (The RDBMS used is MySQL 5.1), my colleague and I have designed the following (it's a part of a catalog system for a museum): We have an "attachments" table, which can refer to "works_of_art", "people", "reproductions" (Let's say, more than three tables). So a work of art can have attachments, a person can have a different attachment, etc. To be able to relate each object to its eventual attachments, one solution I imagined is to put N foreign keys from each of the tables referred in attachments (...

Not grasping outer joins for ms-sqlserver :: 3 tables to join
I'm new to ms-sqlserver ( 2000 ) and need to get an OUTER JOIN working on a three table query. Assumptions: -- I have events in the Event table. -- Each event CAN have one Transaction, but it's not guaranteed -- Each transaction, ir present, will have one or more Amount records This would be the pseudo-query without any special joins: ----------------------------------------- SELECT a.Name, SUM( c.amount ) as Total FROM Event a, Transaction b, Amounts c WHERE a.EventID = b.EventID AND b.TransID = c.TransID ----------------------------------------- This is fine if there is a ...

comparing 3 tables from 3 databases
We have 3 databases. Each of these databases have a identical table. Each table has anywhere from 1400-1550 records. The data in these tables was supposed to be identical. But they aren't. So, I need to compare the table in each database to determine the exact differences of the data. Any suggestions on how to best complete this task would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Shawn "Shawn" <spedwards@x.qwest.net> wrote in news:4HbSc.13$ah5.102082@news.uswest.net: > We have 3 databases. Each of these databases have a identical table. > Each table has anywhere from > 1400-1550 records. The data in these tables was supposed to be > identical. But they aren't. > So, I need to compare the table in each database to determine the > exact differences of the data. > Any suggestions on how to best complete this task would be greatly > appreciated! > > Thanks, > Shawn > SELECT * FROM TABLE_A MINUS SELECT * FROM TABLE_A@REMOTE1; ETC., ETC., ETC. "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns9541B4DD0C7FFSunnySD@68.6.19.6... > "Shawn" <spedwards@x.qwest.net> wrote in > news:4HbSc.13$ah5.102082@news.uswest.net: > > > We have 3 databases. Each of these databases have a identical table. > > Each table has anywhere from > > 1400-1550 records. The data in these tables was supposed to be > > identi...

Re: How to do table lookup in SAS when main dataset has multiple records with the same key #3 1540871
Hi Susie, That is really strange. It should update all all matching records. Try this one: DATA Main; x=1; y=1; OUTPUT; x=1; y=2; OUTPUT; x=2; y=1; OUTPUT; x=2; y=2; OUTPUT; RUN; DATA Table; x=1; z=1; OUTPUT; x=2; z=2; OUTPUT; x=3; z=3; OUTPUT; RUN; DATA Updated; MERGE Main (IN=InMain) Table; BY x; IF InMain; RUN; PROC PRINT DATA=Updated; RUN; If you would have used UPDATE instead of MERGE it would yield the result that you indicate. Regards - Jim. -- .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Jim Groeneveld, MSc. Biostatistician Science Team Vitatron B.V. Meander 1051 6825 MJ Arnhem Tel: +31/0 26 376 7365 Fax: +31/0 26 376 7305 Jim.Groeneveld@Vitatron.com www.vitatron.com My computer has the solutions, I have the problems. [common disclaimer] -----Original Message----- From: Susie Li [mailto:Susie.Li@US.SANOFI.COM] Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 22:33 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to do table lookup in SAS when main dataset has multiple records with the same key Suppose I have my MAIN dataset (with fields: employee_id table_id), and the lookup table in TABLE dataset (with fields: table_id value), and I want to read the value from TABLE into MAIN for every employee: Data MAIN; merge MAIN (in=a) TABLE; by table_id; if a; Above will update ONLY one record of the MAIN employees with the value of the table_id. Is there any other way to update all employees in MAIN with the same table_id with its corresponding va...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Two foreign keys pointing to the same primary key in other table
i came accross requirement of multiple foreign keys in a table referencing the same primary key another table. i created the table relations using the relations editor in access. even though i could have multiple foreign keys to a table access did allow the referential integrity. my database structure is table1 - students table table 2 - subjects table table 3 - subjects opted by students in the table 3 totally there are 6 subject columns and a student can opt for variable number of subjects. table structure students ID -> primary key, FirstName, LastName, ........ subjects ID->primary key, subject student_subjects ID->primary key, StudentID->foreign key referencing students.ID, and sub1, sub2, .....sub6 all of which reference the primary key in subjects table. now if in the student_subjects table i have a record with data ID-1000, StudentID-100, sub1-1, sub2-2......sub6-6, how can i join table in SQL query to access the student_subjects table so that i can display the result as ID->studentID (name not required) but from sub1 to sub6 i should display the actual subject name that is in the subjects table ? for example : ID sub1 sub2 sub3 ........................ sub6 1000 telecom. cryptography networking ....................... cgi/perl The 3rd table is not right. Table 3 needs fields: ID primary key StudentID foreign key SubjectID foreign key Now you have nee...

Unknown primary keys and foreign keys ina database
I would like to connect to a database and determine, on the fly, what columns are the foreign and primary keys for each table.&nbsp; Is there any way to do this using the LabView Database connectivity toolkit or a SQL query? Thank you! Brad Found it, thanks!&nbsp; For future reference (for anyone who might search for this topic) Go to: Tools -&gt; Options -&gt; View and check "system" and "hidden" objects to explore the structure of these tables.&nbsp; It's not recommended to edit them directly for obvious reasons, but will at least give an idea...

Database Design Problem with Hibernate Primary Key and Foreign Key
hi, I am a newbie to Hibernate. It seems to me that Hibernate does not allow you to declare both id and composite-id in .hbm.xml mapping. That was why i have a triple primary key in my ENROLLED table as following: CREATE TABLE ENROLLED ( SID INTEGER NOT NULL, CID INTEGER NOT NULL, ENROLL_SINCE DATETIME NOT NULL, EID INTEGER NOT NULL auto_increment, COURSE_ROLE_ID INTEGER DEFAULT 0, LAST_LESSON_ID INTEGER, COMPLETE_BY_DATE DATETIME, GRADE VARCHAR(10), STATUS_ID MEDIUMINT(9), IS_AVAILABLE CHAR(1) DEFAULT 'Y', CREATION_DATE DATETIME NOT NULL, LAST_UPDATED DATETIME NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (SID, CID, ENROLL_SINCE), UNIQUE KEY (EID), FOREIGN KEY(SID) REFERENCES USERS ..... and my QUIZ_GRADES table need to reference the ENROLLED table. That was why I had EID as unique key. CREATE TABLE QUIZ_GRADES (QUIZ_ID INTEGER NOT NULL, EID INTEGER NOT NULL, PASS CHAR(1), CREATION_DATE DATETIME NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(QUIZ_ID, EID), FOREIGN KEY (QUIZ_ID) REFERENCES QUIZES ON DELETE CASCADE, FOREIGN KEY (EID) REFERENCES ENROLLED(EID) ON DELETE CASCADE)TYPE=INNODB; However, Hibernate complained as following: "******Foreign key (QUIZ_GRADES [EID])) must have same number of columns as the r eferenced primary key (ENROLLED [SID,CID,ENROLL_SINCE]) net.sf.hibernate.MappingException: Foreign key (QUIZ_GRADES [EID])) must have sa me number of...

Re: Primary key, Foreign key and indexes in Informix #3
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Hamm" <ahamm@mail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 3:42 AM Subject: Re: Primary key, Foreign key and indexes in Informix [On indices on potential FK columns with poor data distribution] > If you do > adequate testing in development then any software faults should be caught > before it ever gets to production. Heh, the famous last words :-) I am still in favour of some kind of db-level consistency checking - be it using referential constraint, check constraint, trigger.... No such thing as perfectly tested application. BTW, good old Informix 5 was terrible with this kind of indices - not only when inserting or updating; since meaningful distribution statistics were missing, the optimizer very often got it completely wrong. Bonzi sending to informix-list Dragi Raos wrote: > >> If you do >> adequate testing in development then any software faults should be >> caught before it ever gets to production. > > Heh, the famous last words :-) yup - very famous. An alternative which would be just as rigorous would be to use a trigger on the production database. Set the trigger to fire on insert or update of the field, and it can do a lookup into the little reference table. That way you get the strong validation without having to suffer the cost of the FK index. > I am still in favour of some kind ...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #3
You might say he is "incorrigible". Rob Rohrbough Omaha, NE > -----Original Message----- > From: Howard Wood [mailto:sasbum@AOL.COM] > Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 10:25 AM > Subject: Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES > > > LOL -- I told him I had a table in my dining room, and > another kind in my kitchen, etc. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@westat.com> > To: Howard Wood <sasbum@AOL.COM> > Sent: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:44:38 -0500 > Subject: RE: TABLES TABLES TABLES > > > Howard, > > Maybe you should turn the tables on him and correct him whenever he > refers to a sedan as a car or to beef as meat or to an engine as a > motor. > > Ed > > Ed Heaton > RW-4541 > #4818 > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu > [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] > On Behalf Of Howard Wood > Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 7:59 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: TABLES TABLES TABLES > > > How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that > the concept > of TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on > table lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup > tables pre- date SQL). Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables. > This made the student apoplectic. > > Words of wisdom most welcome!!! > > Thanks, > Ho...

Exporting to Excel: Multiple tables in 1 spreadsheet
I've got my code working so that it'll count the number of columns in the table and move across (eg Range A-P and then range Q-W). Problem is when I get to the end of the single letters and get into AA etc. Have got an idea of how I could do it by using Chr() and having an ongoing counter which is divided by 26 when it goes past Z to work out location. However, I'd dearly like there to be an easier way. Any ideas? Another problem I'm getting is my code is exporting the first 2 tables fine to excel (moving across the columns), but the third one (who's range is between Q-Y so the above problem should not apply) has a runtime error: "The Microsoft Jet Database could not find the object. Make sure the object exists and that you spell the name and the path correctly". Now it appears to work when I have the excel spreadsheet open (though the export is A LOT slower). It also works if I don't export the first table, and do only the last two (proving that the table does exist and can be happily exported). I am rather mystified.... all help/ideas appreciated. Cheers Reg PS I could post the code if its helpful.... only thing is she's pretty ugly - I'm new to this vb game (I gotta get me a book and learn some basics). Regnab wrote: > I've got my code working so that it'll count the number of columns in > the table and move across (eg Range A-P and then range Q-W). Problem is > when I get to the end of the single letters a...

Convert Foreign Key to Foreign Key with Delete Cascade
Here is the script which generates drop and add fkey constraint This is based on another posting << Erland posted this a short time ago, you should be able to modify it to meet your needs: http://tinyurl.com/6o9af >> Thanks Erland and every one. ..................... SET NOCOUNT ON DECLARE @dummy tinyint, @fktbl sysname, @fkcol sysname, @refcol sysname, @reftbl sysname, @keyno smallint, @constr sysname, @prev_constr sysname, @drop varchar(4000), @add1 varchar(4...

To retrive a table from one database to and another database(same table)
hi i have emp table in one database , how to retrieve same table another database through query analizer give code ,,, Hi, use the three part notation: SELECT * FROM database.owner.Objectname (replace owner by schema for SQL2k5) HTH, Jens Suessmeyer. --- http://www.sqlserver2005.de --- Hi surya While the first database is "Current" as would result from: Use FirstDatabaseName select * from OtherDatabaseName..Emp -- -Dick Christoph "surya" <suryaitha@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142588469.061525.268810@u72g2000cwu.googlegr...

I am trying to set up a database using the database connectivity toolkit and 8.5. I have tables setup and each one has an autoincrementing primary ID key.
I have very little experience with databases, but I have to set one up. I am setting up a relational BD, I have several tables set up, each has a primary key set up as a ID, autoincrement. &nbsp; How can I not send this column data, and let it autoincrement like it should so that it is a unique entry. I keep on getting an error that says that the number of colums don't match. Is there any way to do this. &nbsp; I want the database to keep track of the line count for this, and increment when each new entry arrives.&nbsp; Does this make any sense? The insert data VI has a Columns input which is a 1D string array. Each element in the array corresponds to an element in the cluster, so you can just use the names of the columns and not use the ID column. I think that is what I was doing, but it did not like it, I kept getting an error saying that the array that I was sending did not have the same number of columns as the table I was sending it to. When I read the database and list out the tables and the columns, I see that ID as one column in each table. That is my problem, It seems like I have to define each element and I have to send the same number of elements as there are in the table. I am using that as the primary key so I can not by definition send that a null, it has to be&nbsp;unique.&nbsp;&nbsp; questionable wrote: It seems like I have to define each element and I have to send the same number of elements as there are in the table. No, the...

Web resources about - Multiple Foreign Keys on Same Table #3 - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Multiple sequence alignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A multiple sequence alignment (MSA) is a sequence alignment of three or more biological sequences , generally protein , DNA , or RNA . In many ...

Multiple shooting in Pittsburgh, suspects still at large - AdelaideNow Search Search
POLICE are hunting two suspects after at least five people were killed and several more wounded in a multiple shooting at a backyard party in ...

Multiple shooting in Pittsburgh, suspects still at large - The Courier-Mail Search Search
POLICE are hunting two suspects after at least five people were killed and several more wounded in a multiple shooting at a backyard party in ...

Multiple shooting in Pittsburgh, suspects still at large - PerthNow Search Search
POLICE are hunting two suspects after at least five people were killed and several more wounded in a multiple shooting at a backyard party in ...

Five-car pile-up leaves multiple people in hospital
Five people were taken to hospital&nbsp;following a five car pile up in Canley Vale in Sydney's west on Thursday.

Newly released multiple angle video and photos show Google’s self-driving car accident [Video]
A new video with multiple angles and new pictures of the Google’s self-driving car hitting a bus last week and its aftermath have been released ...

Medical examiner: Katy teen died from multiple gunshot wounds - abc13.com
Authorities say they have identified the body found in west Houston earlier this week as missing Katy teenager Adriana Coronado.

Choetech 6 port USB charger: The quick way to charge multiple devices
Having multiple mobile devices is great. Charging them? Not so much. If you need to top the battery on a few smartphones and tablets at the same ...

Cruz Finance Team Member Had Multiple Conflicts Of Interest In 1980s Loan Scandal
Cruz Finance Team Member Had Multiple Conflicts Of Interest In 1980s Loan Scandal