Restore of Case Insensitive Database to a Case Sensitive Database - SQL Server 2000

Yesterday I received a response to my CI/CS Collation problem and the
recommendation was to try and restore a CI Collation database to a CS
Collation database.  After creating a blank CS database a full restore
(Force restore over existing database) does change the Collation to
CI.  I'm unsure as to how I can restore without changing the
Collation.  Any suggestions?
0
swansons (2)

Hi.  Check out this article:

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/vg_database_comparison_sp.asp

If appears that if you can put the CI db on another box and create a
linked server to it you should be able to bring over everything to the
CS db and avoid all your collation issues by setting one flag.

I've recently been wrestling with collation issues too due to
developing with SQL2K PersEd and then trying to migrate to SQL2K for
production.  What a nightmare.  In my case, I want to use the
production server's default collation and I saw an article about
restoring one collation over another (it sounds like that's what you
tried) but it didn't work for me either.  I resorted to renaming the
old db and scripting all the objects in it, removing any DDL
references to collation settings (so that running the scripts would
use the new db's default), creating a new database with the original
db name, and then running the scripts to create the new objects.  Then
via DTS I ran queries to bring all the data over.  My databases are
fairly small and this was still a lot of work but it succeeded. It may
not be a viable option for you though.

Good luck, and if you find an easier way of doing this please let me
know.

JT

swansons@optimalinternet.com (Sue Swanson) wrote in message news:<c93054c8.0307010414.44475a5@posting.google.com>...
> Yesterday I received a response to my CI/CS Collation problem and the
> recommendation was to try and restore a CI Collation database to a CS
> Collation database.  After creating a blank CS database a full restore
> (Force restore over existing database) does change the Collation to
> CI.  I'm unsure as to how I can restore without changing the
> Collation.  Any suggestions?
0
jctootell (1)
7/1/2003 9:07:51 PM
Sue Swanson (swansons@optimalinternet.com) writes:
> Yesterday I received a response to my CI/CS Collation problem and the
> recommendation was to try and restore a CI Collation database to a CS
> Collation database.  After creating a blank CS database a full restore
> (Force restore over existing database) does change the Collation to
> CI.  I'm unsure as to how I can restore without changing the
> Collation.  Any suggestions?

This does not seem like a workable way to me. It is possible
that the default for new tables in the new database would be CS, but
the existing tables in the backup would retain their CI collation.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, sommar@algonet.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
sommar (1290)

HELP! Case insensitive database on case sensitive server
We need to install CI database on CS server, and there are some issues with stored procedures. Database works and have CI collation (Polish_CI_AS). Server has coresponding CS collation (Polish_CS_AS). Most queries and procedures works but some does not :-( We have table Customer which contains field CustomerID. Query "SELECT CUSTOMERID FROM CUSTOMER" works OK regardless of character case (we have table Customer not CUSTOMER) Following TSQL generate error message that must declare variable @id (in lowercase) DECLARE @ID INT (here @ID in uppercase) SELECT @id=CustomerID FROM Customer WHERE .... (here @id in lowercase) I know @ID is not equal to @id in CS, but database is CI and table names Customer and CUSTOMER both works. This does not work for variables. I suppose it is tempdb collation problem (CS like a server collation is). I tried a property "Identifier Case Sensitivity" for my connection, but it is read only and have value 8 (Mixed) by default - this is OK I think. DO I MISS SOMETHING ???? aki999 (aki999@wp.pl) writes: > We need to install CI database on CS server, and there are some issues > DECLARE @ID INT (here @ID in uppercase) > SELECT @id=CustomerID FROM Customer WHERE .... (here @id in lowercase) > > I know @ID is not equal to @id in CS, but database is CI and table > names Customer and CUSTOMER both works. This does not work for > variables. > > I suppose it is tempdb collation problem (CS like a server...

case-insensitive database
Is there a way to make Postgresql case-INSENSITIVE? Thanks Quoth "Relaxin" <noname@spam.com>: > Is there a way to make Postgresql case-INSENSITIVE? It already is. portfolio=# select * from stocks limit 1; symbol | description | exchange --------+-------------+---------- AADBX | AADBX | NYSE (1 row) portfolio=# sELeCT * FROM STOCKS LIMIT 1; symbol | description | exchange --------+-------------+---------- AADBX | AADBX | NYSE (1 row) Those queries were cased differently, but were recognized as being functionally identical. -...

need to restore old database (database server 4.01 AIX)
hi. i need to restore an old database. The db was backed up using a DLT drive, using 2 volumes. The content for the tapes was copied to file onto Solaris machine using rsh and dd (for backup purposes). Now, the drive is defective and can't read the tapes anymore. Server is AIX 4.3.2 and database is IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX Version 2.1.2) I tried doing an NFS export from solaris machine. and doing restore database ..... from /mnt but i got the following message: SQL2542N No match for a database image file was found based on the source database alias and timestamp ...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

Restore database fails because database is in use.
I'm a newbie so please be gentle. In attempting to run a restore I get the following error message: "Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use." However, it doesn't appear that there are any connections to the database. At the suggestion of another thread, I ran sp_who2 and there are no connections to the database in question. I've been running the same restore for months and all has been well, until yesterday.... I wrote an .asp page (below) to test connectivity to this database. The vb code ran successfully and soon thereafter, my nightly restore failed. Task manager does no show that the asp page is active. Lastly, I did add a user ("jbtest") as well as change the option to use either Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication in Enterprise Manager. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. <%@ Language=VBScript %> <% companyName = "agemni" Set cnn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") cnn.ConnectionString = "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=SHEELA-NA-GIG;UID=jbtest;PWD=test1;APP=Microsoft Development Environment;WSID=SHEELA-NA-GIG;DATABASE=" & companyName & ";Trusted_Connection=No" cnn.ConnectionTimeout = 300 cnn.CommandTimeout = 300 cnn.Open Set RS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") strSQL = "SELECT * FROM Preferences" RS.Open strSQL, cnn Response.Write "connection established with the <b>"...

change case sensitivity after database set up
I have a SQL Server database hosted with a web hosting company. The SQL Server was clearly set up to be case sensitive, however, I want this particular database to be case-insensitive. I have searched high and low, the best suggestion I can find is to reinstall SQL Server and select case-insensitive. But since this is the web host's SQL, that isn't an option here. With default language I can use the sp_defaultlanguage to change to British settings (for example). Is there something similar I can use to make just this database case insensitive? -- Popular uprising? http://www.blairfacedlies.org/statue.htm captain(underscore)flack(squirlything)hotmail(you know what)com If you are using SQL 2000, you can change the default database collation with ALTER DATABASE: ALTER DATABASE MyDatabase COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS Note that a column collation is determined when the column is created so changing the database setting will not affect existing tables. You'll need to alter existing columns to the desired collation or recreate the tables. The collation used for identifiers (table names, column names, etc.) will take affect immediately. -- Hope this helps. Dan Guzman SQL Server MVP ----------------------- SQL FAQ links (courtesy Neil Pike): http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800 http://www.sqlserverfaq.com http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq ----------------------- "Captain Flack" <captain.flack@trumpton-firebr...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > > Cyril Look into linked servers in Books Online - you can create a linked server pointing to the Oracle database, then do this: insert into dbo.MSSQLTable select col1, col2, ... from Oracle..SCHEMA.TABLE Alternatively, DTS can move data from Oracle to MSSQL. Simon ...

How can create case-insensitive database in oracle?
Hi, I am basic in oracle. My Old programs write with Delphi and Databases: Access, Paradox, MySQL, Microsoft SQL. I write my code (SQL code) case-insensitivae, but now i need use oracle database. The Oracle by default is case-sensitive, How can used case-insensitive in oracle. Thanks Madjid Nasiri "Madjid Nasiri" wrote... > Hi, > I am basic in oracle. My Old programs write with Delphi and Databases: > Access, Paradox, MySQL, Microsoft SQL. > I write my code (SQL code) case-insensitivae, but now i need use > oracle database. The Oracle by default is case-sensitive, How can used > case-insensitive in oracle. > > Thanks > Madjid Nasiri Hi Madjid, I hope you are going to use a version >= 8.1.7 (9.2.0.4 would be best). Since you don't provide much infos to play around with, here are 2 two possible meanings of your post: 1. You want to store data case insensitive: do an 'insert... values(upper('Abcd'))...'. This will put your data in upper case into the tables. 2. Your data will be mixed-case and you want to select them case insensitive: create 'function based indexes' on every column you want to use in your where-clauses. Then 'select ... where <column_name> = 'ABCD'. If my assumptions about your intention are wrong, please explain it a little. hth, Guido Guido Konsolke wrote: > > "Madjid Nasiri" wrote... > > Hi, >...

Sqlserver 2000 database on Oracle 9 server
Hi! how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. or how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. Thanks Hubert Mayr wrote: > Hi! > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > or > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > Thanks > Oracle Transparent Gateway. Heterogeneous services. ASCII files. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1073922683.284194@yasure>... > Hubert Mayr wrote: > > > Hi! > > > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > > or > > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > > > Thanks > > > > Oracle Transparent Gateway. > Heterogeneous services. > ASCII files. I have read some articles about this, but I am a little confused about the difference between "Oracle Transparent Gateway" and "Heterogeneous services". I want to create a database link so that the application (logging on to Oracle) will not know whether the table is actually stored in Oracle or in SQL Server. Do I need Oracle Transparent Gateway to make this possible or ...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Opening one database always restores a minimised database
Hi I have an Access database that I use to keep track of hours I work on development. The database is always open and minimised. An annoying problem is that whenever I open a database I am working on through a shortcut, the time tracking database window gets restored before the one I am opening actually opens. It does stay behind the one I am working on but I have to minimise it again if I want to keep the desktop uncluttered. Is there any way of stopping the minimised one restoring? Jeff When I set the target property of the shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lyle Fairfield\My Documents\Access\downloads.mdb" the minimised window does not restore. Yep, that works. Pity is that for each project I have a single shortcut to the folder where the files are and I rely on the file association to open the database files. This means that I have to create a shortcut to each database file in all my projects. Oh me, oh my...life is so hard. Jeff "Lyle Fairfield" <lylefairfield@aim.com> wrote in message news:1134600734.008957.271860@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > When I set the target property of the shortcut to: > > "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" > "C:\Documents and Settings\Lyle Fairfield\My > Documents\Access\downloads.mdb" > > the minimised window does not restore. > "Jeff" &...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

Database Links for replication between databases
Hello, Until now we do not want to use Database Links for security reasons. But an application needs to access informations that are on two separate DB. As we can not use an asynchrone mecanism (night job of export/import for example) the application provider would like to use Database Links. When a change occurs on the remote DB, a trigger then retrieve new informations into a dedicated table on the local DB. Question : is it an other way to do that ? Regards. ...

database control for multiple database
Hi, some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? Typically : LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 http://hostname:1158/em ===> UID1 or UID2 thank's On 25 oct, 16:27, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk > multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? > > Typically : > > LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 > > http://hostname:1158/em===> UID1 or UID2 > > thank's How can i do to specify port eliot06 wrote: > Hi, > some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk > multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? > > Typically : > > LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 > > http://hostname:1158/em ===> UID1 or UID2 > > thank's > In short...you cannot. DB Control is for a single database. If you want the same functionality for more than one database (without running more than one DB Control), then you will need Grid Control. HTH, Brian -- =================================================================== Brian Peasland dba@nospam.peasland.net http://www.peasland.net Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me. "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of the three" - Unknown -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com On 25 ...

open database from another database
I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like to automate the back-up of an Access application to a writeable CD drive. I've got the process of creating a folder on the CD with the back-up date done, and I can copy the database objects (there are four MDB files in total) to the CD. All of that works. Here's my problem: because Access databases cannot be copied when they are open, I need to have my CD writing code in a new MDB, and will need to launch the new CD writing MDB from within one of the existing databases. I've done this kind of thing before, but I don't have the slightest recollection on how I did it (used to be you had to do that kind of thing in order to compact/repair through automation). So, I give up. How do you launch Access from within Access??? Well this will do it: Dim i As Variant i = Shell("msaccess d:\persprop\CSCPP.mdb") Just put in your own db path. But this does come up with the warning that requires you to click to get into to the db (in 2003). If you know how to get by that I'd like to know. You could put the function in a macro and then close the db stat started the new one. Good luck Ira Solomon On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:17:10 -0500, Mike Easter <username@domain.com> wrote: >I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like >to automate the back-up of an Access application to a wri...

how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server
I am on Redhat Linux 9 and using Oracle 10G (10.0.1.3?). I know how to create a Oracle database instance and use EM database control to administer the database. To access database control from a browser, Oracle asks to enter a URL: http://server_name:5500/em The URL does not specify the ORACLE_SID. I however want to create several database instances on the same box. Will Oracle automatically set up a different port (e.g., 5501) for second instance. All the documentation I have found on Oracle's web site refers to a single database instance on a server. Appreciate any pointers. Thanks a lot, Prem You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid Control or DB Console. Jining Han Jining Han wrote: > You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your > database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid > Control or DB Console. > > Jining Han I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to access many instnaces on the same server using database control. Prem Of course you can, a DB Console for each database, and you can choose that as your preferred approach, too. But I really think it's a waste of resources and a big inconvenience. You are probably better off with the "tradictional" desktop console. Just my 2 cents. Jining Han <premmehrotra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

database control for several database
How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? On Oct 25, 11:09 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? > > yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? Are you talking about this: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b40002/structure.htm#sthref90 jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Single women come home, look in the refrigerator, then go to bed. Married women come home, look in the bedroom, then go to the refrigerator." - heard on radio. ...

Good day: Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file extension of .mde? I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized format". Any help is greatfull. TIA This usually indicates an attempt to open an Access 2000 database in an earlier version. -- MichKa [MS] NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "mary" <chloemelmom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a0a64947.0311151242.4df0c8a3@posting.google.com... > Good day: > > Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file > extension of .mde? > > I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized > format". > > Any help is greatfull. > > TIA "mary" <chloemelmom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a0a64947.0311151242.4df0c8a3@posting.google.com... > Good day: > > Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file > extension of .mde? > > I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized > format". > > Any help is greatfull. > > TIA Best place to get answers is at the official MVP site: http://mvp.org Robyn Schulz, MVP A) That url isn't. B) If that's the best place to get answers, why do you hang out in a newsgroup designed to give ...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

Web resources about - Restore of Case Insensitive Database to a Case Sensitive Database - SQL Server 2000 - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Insensitive munitions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Insensitive munitions (IM) will only burn (rather than explode) when subjected to fast or slow heating, bullets , shrapnel , shaped charges or ...

Koran Burning Is Insensitive, Unnecessary; Pastor Jones, Please Stand Down (Updated)
Update: Book burning is bad. But the Muslim cleric who is running for parliament in Afghanistan is calling for the murder of American children ...

Insensitive on the App Store on iTunes
Get Insensitive on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

'No Escape' review: Owen Wilson shines in insensitive thriller - YouTube
Ashley Dvorkin and Fox411 movie reviewer Justin Craig discuss the thriller 'No Escape' starring Owen Wilson, Lake Bell and Pierce Brosnan For ...

Paris attacks: Rob Lowe’s insensitive tweets - Francois Hollande - AdelaideNow Search Search
AMERICAN actor Rob Lowe has been slammed on Twitter after making insensitive comments about the Paris attacks.

Singapore Airlines apologises for insensitive Facebook posts after MH17 shot down
After getting a drubbing on social media for making statements deemed "insensitive" after the downing of flight MH17, Singapore Airlines issued ...

Paris attacks: Rob Lowe’s insensitive tweets - Francois Hollande - The Courier-Mail Search Search
AMERICAN actor Rob Lowe has been slammed on Twitter after making insensitive comments about the Paris attacks.

How to avoid culturally insensitive photography
A guide to not looking fool on the interweb for the rest of your life.

Paris attacks: Rob Lowe’s insensitive tweets - Francois Hollande
AMERICAN actor Rob Lowe has been slammed on Twitter after making insensitive comments about the Paris attacks.

British Open 2015 golf: Marc Leishman subject of insensitive Twitter post - PerthNow Search Search
IF YOU’RE not familiar with Marc Leishman’s story, here is a quick recap.