Restore SQL Server 6.5 database in SQL Server 2000

Hi,

Do you know if it is possible to restore database (backup) from SQL Server
6.5 in SQL Server 2000?

Best Regards,
Wojtek
--

(Remove bez.syfu get my e-mail address)

0
wjezior (1)

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > > The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject > line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server > site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would try select * from master..sysdatabases where databaseproperty(name, 'IsInRecovery') = 1 and see if that finds something. There are a couple of more properties for Databaseproperty that you should search for. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Jan 30, 5:30 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes: > > > While I was out of the office the Lan Team ...

Restore of Case Insensitive Database to a Case Sensitive Database
Yesterday I received a response to my CI/CS Collation problem and the recommendation was to try and restore a CI Collation database to a CS Collation database. After creating a blank CS database a full restore (Force restore over existing database) does change the Collation to CI. I'm unsure as to how I can restore without changing the Collation. Any suggestions? Hi. Check out this article: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/vg_database_comparison_sp.asp If appears that if you can put the CI db on another box and create a linked server to it you should be able to bring over every...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they do squirly things that often break stuff. Thanks -- Alex Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes: > We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM > work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise > Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or > anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 > Enterprise Manager. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions > of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they > do squirly things that often break stuff. There isn't any Enterpr...

Migrating data from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 2005
Hello, I'm not very familiar to SQL Server, but I've to upgrade a DBMS from V6.5 to V2005. >From the V6.5 I've got a backup file and a dump file (which seems to be the same, at least it has the same size). After installing V2005 - at another system - I could not find any option to import a database from an old system, e.g. importing/reading a dump file, backup file. How can I migrate the data from V6.5 to V2005 ? Is there a way to make an export - like in informix - which creates a sql script including all data and definitions (all tables,views, stored procedures, users, etc.) ? Or can I connect directly V2005 to V6.5 and import the database this way ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance. Norbert (info.nrieger@web.de) writes: > I'm not very familiar to SQL Server, but I've to upgrade a DBMS from > V6.5 to V2005. > >>From the V6.5 I've got a backup file and a dump file (which seems to be > the same, at least it has the same size). > > After installing V2005 - at another system - I could not find any > option to import a database from an old system, e.g. importing/reading > a dump file, backup file. > > How can I migrate the data from V6.5 to V2005 ? There is only one tool in this world that can read a backup file from SQL Server 6.5 and that's SQL Server 6.5. SQL Server underwent a complete architecture change from 6.5 to SQL7, that's why. (Had you had a backup from SQL 7, you c...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpress is does not allow external connections then you will need to push it (export) from the SQLExpress machine. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546 John "tlyczko" <tlyczko@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157561832.911996.148780@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this > topic?? > > I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express > locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the > tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. > > Thank you, Tom > I should have said SS 2005 Developer, not Express, I am installing SS 2005 Dev to my workstation here. But everything you said should work, I just have to learn how!!!!!!!! I will read the KB article, I suppose I could learn SSIS for just tables ...

Restoring a SQL Server 2000 database to PostGreSQL...
Is there any way to restore a SQL Server 2000 database for use on PostGreSQL? Thanks, Chari L. Clark Database Administrator National Background Data, LLC ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend ...

Database link to a MS SQL Server 2000
Hi NG, we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines directly. Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? thanx abbas On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:13:02 +0200, "Abbas" <ar.newsgroup@web.de> wrote: >Hi NG, > >we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. > >There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines >directly. > >Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? > >thanx >abbas > Look into using Heterogeneous Services in your Net administrators manual. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Are you willing to install a bridge program to create this "link"? If so, then try www.examinstudio.com Do as Sybrand told you, look at the Heterogenous services of Oracle. Oracle even supports natively DRDA towards a DB2 z/OS mainframe, and they also support SQL Server. They all end-up like a database link with a totally quallified names in the "from" clause. Be aware of that distributed joins between different DBMS systems might cause huge performance problems, keep the functionality when dealing with multiple DBMS systems simple, no dist...

Restore master database from 64bit sql server to 32 bit server
Hi, We are planning to create a prod environment on our Dev server, by creating a new named instance on DEV. Our prod server is running on sql enterprise edition 64bit and dev on SQl enterprise 32bit. Could we copy all the databases from prod server including Master,msdb,model onto our dev server, and bring up all the databases? Does Master store information about the version of SQl server? Thanks for your help GG It would probably be best not to copy the system databases (except perhaps model) - master and msdb have lots of information about the instance, including name, backup history etc which could create problems if you restore onto another instance. Typically, those databases are only restored if they become corrupted, or as part of a complete server recovery. Simon ...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

migrate Progress database to MS SQL Server 2000 #2
I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about movin to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do about it Is there a migration tool -- panagiotis@mel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- panagiotis@melo's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=817 View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7937 Yes ther is. You'll find it between your ears. Regards...Dan. "panagiotis@melo" <panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com> wrote in message news:panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com... > > I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about moving > to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do about it. > > Is there a migration tool? > > > -- > panagiotis@melo > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > panagiotis@melo's Profile: > http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8173 > View this thread: > http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=79374 > crossmerge.com ? Regards...Dan. "panagiotis@melo" <panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com> wrote in message news:panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com... > > I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about moving > to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't know for sure. If it installs, it may still noe be supported. For SQL 2000 you need SP3 to run on Win 2003. That I know. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

MS SQL Server databases
Hi, I am looking for a tool to create MS SQL Server databases. Who can help me? Valentine Download BOL, it's free and it will show you how to create SQL databases. If you don't have SQL you can buy the developer edition for $50 http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp HTH Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! ...

Import XML file to database (MS Server 2000) using procedure (transact sql) ???
I must import some exemplary file to database (MS Srrver 2000) ofcourse using procedure Transact SQL. This file must: 1.Read the xml file 2. Create table 3. Import this date from xml file to my database Ps. I create procedure who File xml imports to base, but unfortunately she only schedule when earlier create a table or table is created.So I need (I think) create such mini parser in language transact SQL. Does someone have some ideas? For every help Thanks ==== example file xml =========================================== <root> <Cust> <IDosoby>1</IDosoby> <Imie>Lukasz</Imie> <Nazwisko>Przypadek</Nazwisko> </Cust> <Cust> <IDosoby>2</IDosoby> <Imie>Dariusz </Imie> <Nazwisko>Mroz</Nazwisko> </Cust> <Cust> <IDosoby>3</IDosoby> <Imie>Tomasz</Imie> <Nazwisko>Kolo</Nazwisko> </Cust> </root> =========================================================== -- Luk Not sure of the exact requirement. But if you can parse the XML and then using OPENXML shred it into a new table. SELECT * INTO <MyNewTable> FROM OPENXML (@idoc, '/root/') Where @idoc is the document handle of the internal representation of an XML document. -- HTH, Vinod Kumar MCSE, DBA, MCAD, MCSD ...

File Server Database Apps and SQL Server?
Like a lot of database developers, I often choose Jet for the back- end. I'm starting to worry about what will happen when Jet is deprecated. Ostensibly, Jet users like me must switch to SQL Server (or MSDE / SQL Express), but there's something I just don't understand. Without Jet, how will we create file server database applications? In other words, how will we create multi-user apps which use a file server to share data and don't require a database server? I've seen many discussions of Access vs. SQL Server, but I've never seen this question addressed head-on. I can speculate on three possible answers, but I'm not sure which one Microsoft intends: In a Jet-less world, 1) there will be no file server database apps, only database server apps. 2) there will be file server apps implemented somehow with SQL Server. 3) there will be file server apps, but Microsoft will cede this niche to its competitors; thus, we will use neither Jet nor SQL Server, but some other product, to implement them. If anyone knows where things are going, I'd be grateful if you share your understanding. -TC TC wrote: > Like a lot of database developers, I often choose Jet for the back- > end. I'm starting to worry about what will happen when Jet is > deprecated. Ostensibly, Jet users like me must switch to SQL Server > (or MSDE / SQL Express), but there's something I just don't > understand. > > Without Jet, how will we create file s...

Explicitly fail a SQL Server Job in SQL Server 2000
I have a SQL Server job, which runs mutiple steps. One of the steps (step 3) looks for a record in the database. How can I explicitly fail the SQL server job if the database record does not exist? You can use RAISERROR with a severity level of 11 or higher to indicate failure. Simon Thanks Simon. That worked. ...

Help! SQL Server error
Dear all, On Win2000 server with SP3, I am trying to access a SQL Server 7.0 database, "TestDB", from VB6 via a SQL Server ODBC system DSN using ADO 2.7. In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, there is a login named "Tester". In its property window, NO "Server Roles" was assigned but its "Database Access" was set to "TestDB". This login was also made as the user of "TestDB" with "public", "db_datareader" and "db_datawriter" selected as its "Database role membership". All the tables I am trying to access in "TestDB" were created under "Tester". My code is like: Set conn = New ADODB.Connection conn.Open "DSN=TestDSN;UID=Tester;PWD=test" Set cmd = New ADODB.Command cmd.ActiveConnection = conn cmd.CommandText = SQL set rs = cmd.Execute() If I set the SQL to something like "SELECT * FROM tbl_test", I always get an error of "-2147217865" saying "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Invalid object name tbl_test". If I set the SQL to "SELECT * FROM Tester.tbl_test", everything runs properly. Could anyone please kindly advise why the first SQL is not working? Or in other words, why must I prefix the table name with its owner while the DB connection is already made under that owner name? Thanks in advance. Tracy I likely cause is that your ODBC DSN is setup for integrated security instead of SQL authent...

SQL Server 2000 Failover Cluster upgrade to SQL Server 2005
I attempted to upgrade my SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (32 bit) to SQL Severer 2005 EE 32 bit and while the prereqs passed the installer will not let me select the version 8.00.x (2000 SP4) database that it finds on the server. When I ckeck the install details it tells me that "Your upgrade is blocked becuase of cluster upgrade rules" I have tried searching the MS site but none of the entries I found appear to apply. Any ideas? -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > I attempted to upgrade my SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (32 bit) > to SQL Severer 2005 EE 32 bit and while the prereqs passed the > installer will not let me select the version 8.00.x (2000 SP4) > database that it finds on the server. > > When I ckeck the install details it tells me that > "Your upgrade is blocked becuase of cluster upgrade rules" > > I have tried searching the MS site but none of the entries I found > appear to apply. > > Any ideas? Exactly when do you get this error? And do you have a cluster in the first place? I have not run that many upgrades (if any at all) to SQL 2005, but do you really select which *database* to upgrade? The upgrade is per instance, as far as I know. In any case, it may be simpler to install a new server instance rather than upgrading, not the least on a cluster. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Links for SQL Server Books Online: SQL 2008: h...

SQL server replication from non-clustered database servers
Hello, Being a bit of a SQL Server novice, need some advice with the following situation. Server A and Server B have SQLServer 2000 based databases. The vendor of the application/system has implemented their own replication process to ensure the 2 databases are in sync. However, there is no clustering with virtual IP addresses implemented. So to an external client/db, it is 2 identical databases with the same name on 2 distinct servers. We need to develop an application that will reside on a networked server C and with SQLServer 2000 as well. While most of the tables in this database are self contained, around 10 tables will have to be mirror copies of the same tables from either Server A or Server B. Question, how do we implement subscription based replication on top of a redundant database, when no clustering is implemented? So, in essence, when Server A is alive, the database on Server C will periodically (or on change) replicate the 10 tables from Server A. When Server A is not alive, it needs to do same from server B. (When both server A and B are alive, it is acceptable to get data from either, since they are synchronized internally). Any alternate suggestions on achieving this functionality are welcome too. If SQL Server 2005 has some capabilities that may address this problem, that is a consideration as well. Thanks Pls take a look at Alternate Synchronization Partners in merge replication. On SQL Server 2005 you might consider peer-to-peer transactional repl...

SQL Server
Can someone recommend a utility (preferably open-source) to synchronize changes across servers? I need to bring only data over in some cases, and only objects in other cases. Any ideas? Thx! javelin (google.1.jvmail@spamgourmet.com) writes: > Can someone recommend a utility (preferably open-source) to > synchronize changes across servers? I need to bring only data over in > some cases, and only objects in other cases. Any ideas? Have you looked at replicatoin that comes with SQL Servers? The tools from Red Gate are popular, although they are not open source. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Mar 26, 5:49 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > javelin (google.1.jvm...@spamgourmet.com) writes: > > Can someone recommend a utility (preferably open-source) to > > synchronize changes across servers? I need to bring only data over in > > some cases, and only objects in other cases. Any ideas? > > Have you looked at replicatoin that comes with SQL Servers? > > The tools from Red Gate are popular, although they are not open source. > > -- > Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se > > Books Online for SQL Server 2005 athttp://www.microsoft.com/tec...

Web resources about - Restore SQL Server 6.5 database in SQL Server 2000 - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...