Rights

I have a basic question regarding rights.  What level of rights do I
have to have to grant another user update rights?  I don't want to
give everyone owner rights.  Can a person with update rights grant
another person update rights?

Thanks.

"Chris_M" <cmcclendon@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a basic question regarding rights.  What level of rights do I
> have to have to grant another user update rights?  I don't want to
> give everyone owner rights.  Can a person with update rights grant
> another person update rights?
>
> Thanks.

You can grant a user update rights per table (and per column) if necessary.
If you specify WITH GRANT OPTION, then that user can grant the update right
to other users. There are examples in Books Online in the syntax for GRANT.

A general best practice is to manage permissions with roles, not by
individual user, as it makes things a lot easier. Also have a look at the
built-in roles, such as db_datareader and db_datawriter, which can be
useful.

In general, though, it's considered better to allow data access only through
stored procedures, if this is possible in your situation. This means that
users never require update permissions on tables, they only have execute
permissions on the procedures. That gives you more flexibility, as you can
add logic to the procedure for more control. Check out "Using Ownership
Chains" in Books Online for more details on how this works.

Simon

0
sql (2120)

Converting database to MS-SQLServer from PostGRESQL
Forgive me if this question is a bit too generic, if it is, feel free to just not respond. I have a database which has been running in PostgreSQL for a number of years at this stage which I want to port into MS SQL server. It seems that the SQL that Postgre outputs when I do a backup is not syntactically correct within MS-SQL server. My question is, does anyone have any documentation on how to convert a database from the Postgre platform to SQL server? Is it possible using an ODBC connection to import a database structure including table definitions, views etc into SQL Server? Failing this, does anyone have any suggestions on where I might start - I did attempt to go through the SQL code and modify it to suit SQL server, but it's about 3,500 lines of code excluding the insert statements (which themselves are also wrong) and almost every line needs something changed when comparing SQL syntax from Postgre to MSSQL server Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions. Engada. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Engada wrote: > I have a database which has been running in PostgreSQL for a number of > years at this stage which I want to port into MS SQL server. > > It seems that the SQL that Postgre outputs when I do a backup is not > syntactically correct within MS-SQL server. pg_dump has a number of flags that may help, e.g. --inserts What specific types of syntax errors do you encounter? Googling (Postgr...

MS Access Database right for us?
Hi -- we are a small manufacturing looking for a multi-user database to take customer orders (nothing too complicated, with 3 users total). We think we should be using Access, but are wondering what alternatives there are. It has been recommended to us to use ASP.net and SQL instead, with the reasoning that: 1) Access is likely to go obsolete at some point 2) It will be more stable Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Allison, Your situation sounds like an ideal task for Access. As for Access being obsolete anytime soon I don't see that happening. Access can handle 3 users no problem. I would recommend that you get the Access database setup by someone with some database experience as a poorly designed database regardless of the application could have problems. The ASP.net and SQL server options would require much more development time and money. Just my two cents... Good luck, -Joe "Allison" <marimbasherry@gmail.com> wrote in news:1140204889.603121.190570@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: > It has been recommended to us to use ASP.net and SQL > instead, with the reasoning that: > > 1) Access is likely to go obsolete at some point The person making the recommendations is clearly quite ignorant of reality. Microsoft has already invested a huge amount of work in the next version of Access, Access 12, which will be released as part of the next MS Office suite, which I expect to be released along with Windows Vista next year. From...

export sqlserver database to ms-access by sql script
Hi Is there anyway to export a sqlserver database to ms-access through a sql scipt only without using the sql enterprise manager. -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-general/200601/1 ...

MS Sqlserver 2005: Displaying only dbs user has a right to?
Hi; My company just installed MS SQLServer 2005 ( see below the dotted line ). When a user logs into management studio all of the databases on the server are displayed in the right hand column. What can we do to have only the databases the user has rights to, display? Thanks much in advance for any info. Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.1399.00 Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.1399.00 Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 6.0 Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.42 Operating System 5.1.2600 Steve (tinker123@gmail.com) writes: > My company just installed MS SQLServer 2005 ( see below the dotted > line ). > > When a user logs into management studio all of the databases on the > server are displayed in the right hand column. > > What can we do to have only the databases the user has rights to, > display? What you can do is to revoke the permission VIEW ANY DATABASE from public, or DENY this permission to the users in question. Alas, the user would then only see tempdb and msdb (or was it master?), databases he owns, and possibly his current database. He would have to issue a USE database in the dark to get there. This is not an uncommon question, so I filed a suggestion for an improvement in SQL Server. You...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > > Cyril Look into linked servers in Books Online - you can create a linked server pointing to the Oracle database, then do this: insert into dbo.MSSQLTable select col1, col2, ... from Oracle..SCHEMA.TABLE Alternatively, DTS can move data from Oracle to MSSQL. Simon ...

left() and right() function in MS SQL vs MS ACCESS
I normally use MS ACCESS vs MS SQL,, which has a left() and right() function. I need to use MS SQL for this project but I am not familiar with it. I have read a few books, but can not figure out how to do this. Please help. If I need to compare the first 4 letters of a field, with the first four letters of another field, how can I do this? Select field1, field2 FROM table1 Where left(field1,4)=left(field2,4) (MS SQL does not have left() and right() functions) Please help. In addition, I have a CSV file with data like 10.20, which I import inrto a numberic field. Unforunately the value gets changed to 10. It's seems to get rounded. How can I fix this. The import SQL I use is.... BULK INSERT dbo.table FROM 'c:\MYDATA.CSV WITH ( FIRSTROW = 1, FIELDTERMINATOR = ',', ROWTERMINATOR = '\n' ) Thank you in advance!!! On 29 Jun 2006 11:40:22 -0700, "sql guy123" <stoppal@hotmail.com> wrote: >Select field1, field2 FROM table1 Where left(field1,4)=left(field2,4) > >(MS SQL does not have left() and right() functions) MS SQL Server does have both LEFT and RIGHT functions. From the Books on Line for SQL Server 2000: RIGHT Returns the right part of a character string with the specified number of characters. Syntax RIGHT ( character_expression , integer_expression ) Arguments character_expression Is an expression of character or binary data. character_expression can be a constant,...

Good day: Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file extension of .mde? I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized format". Any help is greatfull. TIA This usually indicates an attempt to open an Access 2000 database in an earlier version. -- MichKa [MS] NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "mary" <chloemelmom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a0a64947.0311151242.4df0c8a3@posting.google.com... > Good day: > > Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file > extension of .mde? > > I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized > format". > > Any help is greatfull. > > TIA "mary" <chloemelmom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a0a64947.0311151242.4df0c8a3@posting.google.com... > Good day: > > Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file > extension of .mde? > > I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized > format". > > Any help is greatfull. > > TIA Best place to get answers is at the official MVP site: http://mvp.org Robyn Schulz, MVP A) That url isn't. B) If that's the best place to get answers, why do you hang out in a newsgroup designed to give ...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

Error on opening a database: MS JEt database says someone tries to modify the file
Hello, I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. When i try to open the file it gives the error: The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how to save the data in this .mdb file. Greetings, Remco Remco Groot Beumer wrote: > Hello, > > I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. > When i try to open the file it gives the error: > The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and > another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). > > I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or > Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how > to save the data in this .mdb file. > > Greetings, > > Remco > > if your friend doesn't have a backup, it's shot. There are companies that you can sent it to which specialize in getting data out of corrupt Access databases....but it'll cost you a pretty penny! ...

Error on opening a database: MS JEt database says someone tries to modify the file #2
Hello, I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. When i try to open the file it gives the error: The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how to save the data in this .mdb file. Greetings, Remco ...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS .... this is a joke, right?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/ Norton Personal Firewall 2002 edition????? I 'accidentally' found this page after the SP2 update inserted a link on my "Links" toolbar in IE6. I don't use IE these days, preferring Firefox, but was just 'cleaning up' after installing SP2 on my system when i noticed this. Does Symantec even support 2002 on the firewall? They don't support NAV 2002 anymore. On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:42:44 +0100, Tx2 wrote: > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/ > > Norton Personal Firewall 2002 edition????? > > I 'accidentally' found this page after the SP2 update inserted a link on > my "Links" toolbar in IE6. > > I don't use IE these days, preferring Firefox, but was just 'cleaning > up' after installing SP2 on my system when i noticed this. > > Does Symantec even support 2002 on the firewall? They don't support NAV > 2002 anymore. That was the version that was available when XP was released and the first version that was "XP ready." Any subsequent versions would be XP ready as well. Older versions of any XP product may need an update or two from the vendor. If currently shopping for software, it would be prudent to by a current version instead of an older one. -- Sharon F MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User In article <egG47I4hEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org, a.k.a Sharon F says... &g...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access database work
This is prob well off topic but I need an Access person to do a 2-3 hours work on a database for me - does anyone know of the correct place to ask? The database is being used by a company but it now has a problem. Its Access 97 and the problem is with Word Automation Best regards James James, I can help you. Email me at the address below. -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "James" <jameshartley7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c8feddad.0311280752.233305d7@posting.google.com... > This is prob well off topic but I need an Access person to do a 2-3 > hours work on a database for me - does anyone know of the correct > place to ask? > > The database is being used by a company but it now has a problem. > > Its Access 97 and the problem is with Word Automation > > Best regards > > James Probably off-topic?!? Read the Daily FAQ Posting and your questions will be answered! On 28 Nov 2003 07:52:24 -0800, jameshartley7@hotmail.com (James) wrote: >This is prob well off topic but I need an Access person to do a 2-3 >hours work on a database for me - does anyone know of the correct >place to ask? -- 1+1=3... Think About It. ...

Web resources about - Rights - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

The New Civil Rights Movement - A Journal Of News & Opinion On Gay Rights & Marriage Equality
An Online Journal Of News & Opinion On Gay Rights & Marriage Equality.

Human rights in Morocco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Morocco’s human rights record is mixed. On the one hand, Morocco has made considerable improvements since the repressive Years of Lead under ...

Lawyer Amal Clooney talks human rights in Mideast speech
... in the Middle East on Sunday that governments around the world should be vocal, consistent, principled and transparent about human rights. Clooney ...

Kentucky GOP stalls restoration of voting rights for ex-felons
Shortly before he left office this year, former Kentucky governor Steve Beshear restored voting rights for over 180,000 non-violent ex-felons ...

Netflix just paid $90 million for the rights to a new Will Smith movie
After a multi-week bidding war, Netflix edged out other big-name movie studios for the rights to a film called Bright . The film is said to be ...

Stun-Gun Rights Backed by Unanimous U.S. Supreme Court
The five-paragraph ruling overturned a conviction of a woman who was carrying the electrical weapon in a Massachusetts parking lot.

While in Cuba, Obama calls for more respect for human rights
Obama administration argues that the best way to improve human rights is to invest in Cuba's future by strengthening economic ties

UN rights chief says many in Burundi are living in "terror"
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. human rights chief says many people in Burundi are living in "terror" with increasing reports of torture, almost ...

Obama: ‘Hopefully, We Can Learn From’ Cuba About Improving Human Rights In America
'The goal of the human rights dialogue is not for the United States to dictate to Cuba how to govern themselves'

Shameful: Gay rights group endorses Republican Mark Kirk over Democrat Tammy Duckworth
In a move that is as appalling as it is embarrassing, the Human Rights Campaign, which styles itself as the largest LGBT civil rights group in ...