Search Text in Database

Hi,
I would like to use keywords inside a record to search for - like a
searchengine.
How can I design the table? Right now I would store data in Memo-Column in a
format like ";apple;banana;lemon;". I would use a INSTR(ring)-function - but
I wonder if the performance is still OK then - even when I index the field.
Are there maybe even better ways?

Thanx in advance.
Greg

Each field in a given row should store one piece of information.  Seperating
your data with semicolons suggests that your storing multiple piecies of
data in a field that should only be storing a single peice of data.  It
defeats the puprose of a relational database.  Instead you probably want to
add a second table that will have a one to many or a third table to setup a
many to many relationship with your first table and possibly second.  Here
are two table ideas but without your DDL I can't know what it is your trying
to do so I'm guessing.  If you need more information provide your DDL (i.e.
your create statements, and some insert statements with sample data).

CREATE TABLE Food_Type
(
    ID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
    Name VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL
)

CREATE TABLE Food_Attributes
(
    ID INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
    Attribute VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
    Food_Type_ID INT NOT NULL
)

Then your data could look like this.

INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Dinner')
INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Lunch')
INSERT INTO Food_Type VALUES ('Snack')
INSERT INTO Food_Attributes VALUES ('Chicken',1)
INSERT INTO Food_Attributes VALUES ('Sandwich',2)
INSERT INTO Food_Attributes VALUES ('Orange',3)
INSERT INTO Food_Attributes VALUES ('Bannana',3)
INSERT INTO Food_Attributes VALUES ('Apple',3)

Now you have two tables that look roughly like this:

ID    Name
---------------------------------------
1      Dinner
2      Lunch
3      Snack

ID    Attribute    Food_Type_ID
1      Chicken      1
2      Sandwich    2
3      Orange       3
4      Bannana      3
5      Apple         3

Then if you wanted you could select all the food attributes that belong to a
snack

SELECT     Food_Attributes.Attribute
FROM       Food_Attributes
JOIN       Food_Type    ON    Food_Type.ID = Food_Attributes.Food_Type_ID
WHERE      Food_Type.Name = 'Snack'

This will return a result set like this

Attribute
------------------
Orange
Bannana
Apple

Best,
    Muhd

"Greg Cyrus" <nospam@muelltonne.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I would like to use keywords inside a record to search for - like a
> searchengine.
> How can I design the table? Right now I would store data in Memo-Column in
> a format like ";apple;banana;lemon;". I would use a INSTR(ring)-function -
> but I wonder if the performance is still OK then - even when I index the
> field. Are there maybe even better ways?
>
> Thanx in advance.
> Greg

0
eat (49)
10/6/2004 8:16:13 PM
"Greg Cyrus" <nospam@muelltonne.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I would like to use keywords inside a record to search for - like a
> searchengine.
> How can I design the table? Right now I would store data in Memo-Column in
> a format like ";apple;banana;lemon;". I would use a INSTR(ring)-function -
> but I wonder if the performance is still OK then - even when I index the
> field. Are there maybe even better ways?
>
> Thanx in advance.
> Greg

Memo and INSTR() are Access terms, I believe, not MSSQL. Assuming you are
using MSSQL, there are functions like CHARINDEX() and PATINDEX(), but if you
have a lot of text in one column, then you should look also at full text
indexing (see Books Online).

As a side comment, it's not clear from your example what the data is, but
delimited text in a single column is often a sign of an incorrect data
model. You might want to review the model, and see if you can store only one
word in each column, which would make normal indexes much more effective.
But this may not apply, since your real data may look totally different.

Simon

0
sql (2120)
10/7/2004 11:41:16 AM
hi simon,

PATINDEX is a very good usage for what I want. I just wonder about the
performance on a SQLSVR.

> [a] delimited text in a single column is often a sign of an incorrect data
> model. You might want to review the model, and see if you can store only
> one word in each column, which would make normal indexes much more
> effective.

that would make the query very oversized when using OR's and AND's: like
where (col1='apple' and col2='banana') or (col1='banana'  and col2='apple')
and this is only a 2-words example.

greg

hi Muhd,

thanx for this very good and detailled example (i also make it very detailed
when I answer on quests).
a dictionary-table (Food_Attributes) makes it also very lean and a good
data-model.(->simon).

greg

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

Good day: Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file extension of .mde? I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized format". Any help is greatfull. TIA This usually indicates an attempt to open an Access 2000 database in an earlier version. -- MichKa [MS] NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development Globalization Infrastructure and Font Technologies This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "mary" <chloemelmom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a0a64947.0311151242.4df0c8a3@posting.google.com... > Good day: > > Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file > extension of .mde? > > I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized > format". > > Any help is greatfull. > > TIA "mary" <chloemelmom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a0a64947.0311151242.4df0c8a3@posting.google.com... > Good day: > > Can you kindly assist me in opening a MS Access database with a file > extension of .mde? > > I get an error message stating "This database is in an unrecognized > format". > > Any help is greatfull. > > TIA Best place to get answers is at the official MVP site: http://mvp.org Robyn Schulz, MVP A) That url isn't. B) If that's the best place to get answers, why do you hang out in a newsgroup designed to give ...

Converting database to MS-SQLServer from PostGRESQL
Forgive me if this question is a bit too generic, if it is, feel free to just not respond. I have a database which has been running in PostgreSQL for a number of years at this stage which I want to port into MS SQL server. It seems that the SQL that Postgre outputs when I do a backup is not syntactically correct within MS-SQL server. My question is, does anyone have any documentation on how to convert a database from the Postgre platform to SQL server? Is it possible using an ODBC connection to import a database structure including table definitions, views etc into SQL Server? Failing this, does anyone have any suggestions on where I might start - I did attempt to go through the SQL code and modify it to suit SQL server, but it's about 3,500 lines of code excluding the insert statements (which themselves are also wrong) and almost every line needs something changed when comparing SQL syntax from Postgre to MSSQL server Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions. Engada. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Engada wrote: > I have a database which has been running in PostgreSQL for a number of > years at this stage which I want to port into MS SQL server. > > It seems that the SQL that Postgre outputs when I do a backup is not > syntactically correct within MS-SQL server. pg_dump has a number of flags that may help, e.g. --inserts What specific types of syntax errors do you encounter? Googling (Postgr...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Error on opening a database: MS JEt database says someone tries to modify the file
Hello, I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. When i try to open the file it gives the error: The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how to save the data in this .mdb file. Greetings, Remco Remco Groot Beumer wrote: > Hello, > > I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. > When i try to open the file it gives the error: > The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and > another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). > > I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or > Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how > to save the data in this .mdb file. > > Greetings, > > Remco > > if your friend doesn't have a backup, it's shot. There are companies that you can sent it to which specialize in getting data out of corrupt Access databases....but it'll cost you a pretty penny! ...

Error on opening a database: MS JEt database says someone tries to modify the file #2
Hello, I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. When i try to open the file it gives the error: The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how to save the data in this .mdb file. Greetings, Remco ...

export sqlserver database to ms-access by sql script
Hi Is there anyway to export a sqlserver database to ms-access through a sql scipt only without using the sql enterprise manager. -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-general/200601/1 ...

Extracting a Database to a seperate Database
Is it possible to extract part of a database and create it in a seperate database? I have a large database and would like to take about 10 screens out and put them into a seperate file? Is there a quick and easy way of doing this or must I delete and re-create the new database? Falcon in article Pnh1c.8696$Db4.1479@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, Falcon at ernie-no-spam-faulkner@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 3/3/04 4:18 AM: > Is it possible to extract part of a database and create it in a seperate > database? > > I have a large database and would like to take about 10 screens out...

Searching Database
Is there a way to peform a query search on a database where you type in a word to be searched across multiple fields? a bit like a search engine if you like. for example if searching a stock database typing in the word shoes would bring up all products with the string shoes in the product name, but also in description and so on. regards Lloyd lloyd_stevens2001@yahoo.com (Lloyd Stevens) wrote: > Is there a way to peform a query search on a database where you type > in a word to be searched across multiple fields? > > a bit like a search engine if you like. > > for example if searching a stock database typing in the word shoes > would bring up all products with the string shoes in the product name, > but also in description and so on. Well you could create a query with something like Like *[Enter keyword]* in the criteria of all the fields you want to search (using the "or" lines), otherwise I think you'd have to do it in code. Regards, Keith. ...

Database Search
hi all, i am developing a program in matlab 7 in which i have to access a particular data from a database using search, i successfully get the table data from access dataabse. now i want to search a particualr record. but so far it is unsuccessfull. pleasea any onw can help me in this. thanks ...

Database searching
Hi all - total newbie to DB programming, so bear with me.... I am using a Recordset object, and am trying to implement a search, but am not having luck finding what I need. I would like to enter a partial name, and seek records that contain that string, rather than equal it. All I can find for relational operators are =, <=, >=, >, and <. How would I go about doing a "contains" search? Thanks! sql: like *blabla* Boobbbbbb heeft geschreven in bericht ... >Hi all - total newbie to DB programming, so bear with me.... > >I am using a Recordset object, and am trying to implement a search, but am >not having luck finding what I need. > >I would like to enter a partial name, and seek records that contain that >string, rather than equal it. All I can find for relational operators are >=, <=, >=, >, and <. > >How would I go about doing a "contains" search? > >Thanks! > > "Boobbbbbb" wrote > OK... So I tried to use '*' as wildcards in this program line: > datNLA.Recordset.Seek "=", "*Boo*" > and it does not work. :( Would I have to convert this to a SQL query? If > so, how? Again, I'm a total noob to doing this kind of thing in VB. Assuming you've dim your database and necessary variables used below, then: (replace the parts in <> with the appropriate info') Sub SearchDatabase() 'sub to search a database and ass...

How to search database?
I am new in this field and would appreciate it if someone points me to the right direction. I have a website with lots of users and each have lots of data in multiple tables. I want to create a search box where a user can search between all their data for the match. I want to search system to contain multiple words and be forgiving. How do I do it? Do I have to create a flat text of every record in my tables and then run the search through them for every word entered? That doesn't sound right? It would exhaust my database with a few users... Regards, Mike <akiany@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1136229389.066096.109460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I am new in this field and would appreciate it if someone points me to > the right direction. > > I have a website with lots of users and each have lots of data in > multiple tables. I want to create a search box where a user can search > between all their data for the match. I want to search system to > contain multiple words and be forgiving. How do I do it? Do I have to > create a flat text of every record in my tables and then run the search > > through them for every word entered? That doesn't sound right? It would > > exhaust my database with a few users... > > Regards, > Mike > Mike, You need to define what it is that you want to do more precisely. Jim <akiany@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1136229389.066096.109460@f14g2000cwb.googlegrou...

database control for several database
How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? On Oct 25, 11:09 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? > > yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? Are you talking about this: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b40002/structure.htm#sthref90 jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Single women come home, look in the refrigerator, then go to bed. Married women come home, look in the bedroom, then go to the refrigerator." - heard on radio. ...

Search a database.
I'm just playing with some ideas at the moment and want to work out how to search a database. The database is simple, 1 table called "userbase", 2 fields: 1st field name is "NickName" its a indexed - no duplicate field. 2nd feild name is "RealName" I have on the form, Data1, text1, text2, text3 I want to search the database, for a nickname (entered into text3) and have the search return the nickname and realname to Text1 and Text2 respectivly. help would be great. Cheers, `Andy ...

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want to throw away your C++ and use Microsoft Access for the job? If you want to keep C++, you can ask for C++ code in another newsgroup, because we'd just be guessing. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Text database?
I am trying to implement a text recognition module. But I need some character to train the algorithms with. Does anyone know of a free online database that contains characters? > But I need some > character to train the algorithms with. Does anyone know of a free > online database that contains characters? Wouldn't the Internet itself serve as such a database? Or perhaps a subset, like Usenet, perhaps even narrower- talk.religion.newage, for example, is full of long, winding texts. wget + sed|perl|(g)awk|python|... should get you a _lot_ of training data. HTH and TTFN, Tar...

Web resources about - Search Text in Database - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...