Slightly off-topic topic

Hi,
I wanted to know how actually a database converter works.
I am working on a converter from DBF to MS SQL server 2000
using Visual Basic 6.0. I wanted to know that once a legacy database
is enterd in the program, how does it get normalised.
I have aboout 40 tables in DBASE IV format. I want to convert them
into relational database and store them on server. But on conversion,
how can the converted data be normalised by itself.

Awaiting the replies,
Thanks

Shwetabh wrote:
> Hi,
> I wanted to know how actually a database converter works.
> I am working on a converter from DBF to MS SQL server 2000
> using Visual Basic 6.0. I wanted to know that once a legacy database
> is enterd in the program, how does it get normalised.
> I have aboout 40 tables in DBASE IV format. I want to convert them
> into relational database and store them on server. But on conversion,
> how can the converted data be normalised by itself.
>
> Awaiting the replies,
> Thanks

SQL Server Data Transformation Services has an Import Wizard that will
load DBFs to SQL tables for you.

Microsoft Visual FoxPro has an Upsizing Wizard that will also migrate
DBFsto SQL Server (DBase IV files should be compatible).

As for normalization. No tool can do that entirely from data alone
because normalization requires knowledge of functional dependencies. In
a non-normalized data set the FDs may not be obvious and probably
aren't defined by metadata. Also, if the data set isn't normalized
there may be data anomalies that can only be sensibly resolved using
knowledge of your business.

There are data integration, profiling and ER-modelling tools that will
help with the process but ultimately a well-designed data model is a
product of business analysis followed by conceptual modelling followed
by logical modelling followed by physical modelling. Tools aid that
process, they don't eliminate it.

--
David Portas, SQL Server MVP

Whenever possible please post enough code to reproduce your problem.
Including CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements usually helps.
State what version of SQL Server you are using and specify the content
of any error messages.

SQL Server Books Online:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/ms130214(en-US,SQL.90).aspx

I answered your same question 2 weeks ago:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.databases.ms-sqlserver/browse_frm/thread/c01e9ce6bc2dfe24/9e26e23c7457193e?hl=en#9e26e23c7457193e

--
David Portas, SQL Server MVP

Whenever possible please post enough code to reproduce your problem.
Including CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements usually helps.
State what version of SQL Server you are using and specify the content
of any error messages.

SQL Server Books Online:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/ms130214(en-US,SQL.90).aspx

Off Topic [Off Topic]
I have to admit that I somehow admire the persistance of those that can post some 250 off topic comments in a newsgroup in a two week span! -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft ...

slightly off topic
Today I found myself in a strange mood. As a joke, I renamed the datafile for the system tablespace from SYSTEM01.DBF to SYSTEMO1.DBF on a colleague's laptop (replacing a zero with an OH). I got a laugh out of it ... but it is a bit of a time bomb out there. I guess that its not really funny until he or someone else tries to start it up. Then its not really that funny, either. It would be a good test exercise in terms of sitting someone down in front of a database that seems to have a bit of a problem and doesn't want to open. See how many minutes it takes for them to figure it out, or go looking for a backup set to restore. I'll bet that the average dba would have run dbv against it at least twice and checked the file ownership and permissions before realizing the "tweakage". Just thought that I would share. -bdbafh You should find a book on business ethics and read it. You might also want to find a book on humor. It might help you develop a better since of humor. Finally if you have paid any attention to the posts on this board you should have noticed that the majority of helpful people on this board use their real name to sign their posts. IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- bdbafh@gmail.com wrote: > Today I found myself in a strange mood. > > As a joke, I renamed the datafile for the system tablespace from > SYSTEM01.DBF to SYSTEMO1.DBF on a colleague's laptop (replacing a zero > with an OH). > > I got a laugh out of it ...

Slightly off-topic, but...
We were discussing earlier today whether a sequence point in something like "continue;" could make any difference. While I'm sure it's not that, I'm fascinated by the following output from gdb on my crashing program: ---- Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault. #0 0x00000000004422b5 in Real_Evaluate (expr=0x7fffeee62968, cache=0x22afd38, recurse=false, prevcache=ca_none, lvalue=false, oneitem=false) at expression.c:520 520 break; ---- I'll look at it tomorrow - it's far too late to dig around in core dumps now, but I'm deeply fa...

off Topic
Hi from Bangkok immense Tips wide Muay Thai -- questo articolo e` stato inviato via web dal servizio gratuito http://www.newsland.it/news segnala gli abusi ad abuse@newsland.it ...

Off Topic
I am looking for "vertical text" that appears sideways until you rotate it into place. A Google search didn't help. I have searched about 50 text sites and only found one, "aachenvertical"..Any suggestions? Char On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:43:23 -0400, "CandCS" <cstamper@voyager.net> wrote: >I am looking for "vertical text" that appears sideways until you rotate it >into place. A Google search didn't help. I have searched about 50 text >sites and only found one, "aachenvertical"..Any suggestions? > >Char &...

OFF Topic
Hello! In this topic, i would like to ask you guys what is your name, in which country do you stay (and in which city), Where do you work (company, position), and how long do you use LabVIEW. :P &nbsp; Soo... I'm Tilen from Slovenia, city name is&nbsp;Kranj. I work as a student in a firm, but just for 2 months. Im studying mechatronics. I'm total n00b at LabVIEW :P ...

Slightly off-topic question
Ok sorry for the off-topic question. I see a lot of people posting their html code here. Why so many people still use iso-8859-X instead of UTF8? Is there a particular reason? For my latest develops (web pages in greek) I always use utf8 both in html&DB. Isn't that the right thing to do? again sorry for the off-topic question Harris Kosmidhs wrote: > I see a lot of people posting their html code here. > Why so many people still use iso-8859-X instead of UTF8? Is there > a particular reason? Laziness, in my case. Dreamweaver uses 8859-1 by default. I onl...

Off-Topic or not?
Hi, I have a question about creating a Makefile. Is this OT here or not? Thanks, Huub In article <44ff00a1$0$4367$e4fe514c@dreader28.news.xs4all.nl>, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a question about creating a Makefile. Is this OT here or not? comp.unix.programmer would be more appropriate. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me *** *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group *** Barry Margolin wrote: > In article <44ff0...

Off Topic
It turns out that it was a member of the Unification Church that blew the whistle on Cat Stevens. As he was being led off the plane, Stevens was heard shouting, "I'm being shadowed by a Moon follower." ...

How very topical...
Intel Memory Protection Extensions http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-isa-extensions#pid-16080-1495 Hardware bounds-checked pointers! Who'd have thought we were so prescient? Andrew. Andrew Haley <andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> writes: > http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-isa-extensions#pid-16080-1495 > Hardware bounds-checked pointers! Who'd have thought we were so > prescient? Interesting. Hey Intel, how about integer overflow checks? Makes it easier to know when to break out the bignums ;). ...

off topic
Call for free !! http://www.skype.com/download.html grtz, Fish "Fish" <ronald@toonafish.nl> wrote in message news:3f589c7f$0$23140$e4fe514c@dreader8.news.xs4all.nl... > Call for free !! Nothing worth anything is free. <let the floodgates open> forever the optimist ron! :-)) "Ronald Stepp" <rstepp@sw.rr.com> wrote in message news:7m36b.6033$162.3846@twister.austin.rr.com... > "Fish" <ronald@toonafish.nl> wrote in message > news:3f589c7f$0$23140$e4fe514c@dreader8.news.xs4all.nl... > > Call for free !! > > Noth...

Off Topic
I am looking for "vertical text" that appears sideways until you rotate it into place. A Google search didn't help. I have searched about 50 text sites and only found one, "aachenvertical"..Any suggestions? Char On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:43:23 -0400, "CandCS" <cstamper@voyager.net> wrote: >I am looking for "vertical text" that appears sideways until you rotate it >into place. A Google search didn't help. I have searched about 50 text >sites and only found one, "aachenvertical"..Any suggestions? > >Char &...

On Topic: What is it?
<http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/what-is-it> Curious what this shape makes you think of. What do you think it is? What do you think of the designers of such a shape? -- [INSERT .SIG HERE] On 4/5/2011 4:40 PM, Snit wrote: > <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/what-is-it> > > Curious what this shape makes you think of. What do you think it is? What > do you think of the designers of such a shape? It's a Rorschach-type test your shrink gave you... DFS stated in post infvi8$q2g$1@dont-email.me on 4/5/11 1:54 PM: > On 4/5/2011 4:40 PM, Snit wrote: >> <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/what-is-it> >> >> Curious what this shape makes you think of. What do you think it is? What >> do you think of the designers of such a shape? > > > It's a Rorschach-type test your shrink gave you... > > Nope... I made it myself. Sorta. :) -- [INSERT .SIG HERE] An Old Friend stated in post pan.2011.04.05.23.30.43@friend.com.invalid on 4/5/11 5:30 PM: > On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 13:40:52 -0700, Snit chiseled > C9C0CC64.940BD%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com in stone using Trajan: > >> <http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/what-is-it> >> >> Curious what this shape makes you think of. What do you think it is? >> What do you think of the designers of such a shape? > > It looks a little like a bone to me. And since you've said that you > "kinda"...

Please stay on topic or make a new topic
Since VSI appeared many of these c.o.v threads split internally or completely change direction into potential enhancements to VMS. This means that under the same thread consecutive posts can jump between very different subjects. Anyone who has tried to follow a conversation through a multi-conversation thread (aka "maze of twisty little passages") knows how difficult this can be. Can you please create new topics if you want to take the discussion in a different direction. It would be helpful if in the first new post, you mention what old thread you're jumping from...

off-topic but ...
Hi! I have configured mail server on RH8 with sendmail. I have also several domains and I have allready configured virtusertable. I have also a webmail (squirrelmail) running. Now when the user send mail thru webmail, it's domain is not the one it is in virtusertable but another one (the first one which it finds in the hosts). Can it be done to automatically select domain for that user or do I need to have several webmail installation for each domain? Regards, Sasa Sasa Stupar wrote: > I have configured mail server on RH8 with sendmail. I have also several > domains and I h...

FAQ Topic
----------------------------------------------------------------------- FAQ Topic - What questions are off-topic for clj? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- The comp.lang.javascript newsgroup deals with ECMAScript languages, so any questions about JavaScript or JScript are welcome. However, the majority of questions sent to this group relates to javascript in a web browser. If you are experiencing issues with a particular browser, or the host is not a browser at all, please make this information clear. Javascript and Java are two completely different lang...

FAQ Topic
----------------------------------------------------------------------- FAQ Topic - What questions are off-topic for clj? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- The comp.lang.javascript newsgroup deals with ECMAScript languages, so any questions about JavaScript or JScript are welcome. However, the majority of questions sent to this group relates to javascript in a web browser. If you are experiencing issues with a particular browser, or the host is not a browser at all, please make this information clear. Javascript and Java are two completely different lang...

off topic
Hi! This is offtopic but it applies to sendmail. I have a perl script which send an email when record is added to the=20 database. It worked well until I have changed mail server. Now I get error "Data=20 Format Error" in mail log. This is just a mail part of the script: ---------- =2E.. open (MAIL, "|/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t") || &cgierr("Can't start=20 mail program"); print MAIL "To: $admin_email\n"; print MAIL "From: $sender_email\n"; print MAIL "Subject: $html_title New Record Added\n\n"; print MAIL &q...

Slightly off topic
Hi Guys, I am looking at a project purely for personal reasons, and am wanting some advice before I get really stuck into it. I hope you can point me in the right direction. What I would like to know about is comms implementations with VBA. For this 'hobby' project I would need to make an app that would allow the use of a serial port / modem to communicate via both ZModem, VT100, and also some proprietary comms protocols. I also need to be able to use some of the serial comms based protocols over TCP/IP (its a type of integration with some very old legacy hardware that has simply been 'interfaced' from serial (rs485 and rs232) to TCP/IP. There is a book from Richard Greir(?) on the topic of serial comms and I am lead to believe that it is the definitive work for such things. I have played with this area before but I really need to get to detail to do this correctly. Is this book a help? Does anyone know of a VB / VBA implementation of ZMODEM that does not require any external library files or dependancies? Same for VT100? Your advice is always welcome. Cheers The Frog On Aug 11, 6:15=A0am, The Frog <Mr.Frog.to....@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi Guys, > > I am looking at a project purely for personal reasons, and am wanting > some advice before I get really stuck into it. I hope you can point me > in the right direction. > > What I would like to know about is comms implementations with VBA. For > this 'hobby' project I...

Database to Topic Map
Can anyone give me a clue of how to transform a Database into a a Topic Map? ...

FAQ Topic
----------------------------------------------------------------------- FAQ Topic - What questions are off-topic for clj? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- The comp.lang.javascript newsgroup deals with ECMAScript languages, so any questions about JavaScript or JScript are welcome. However, the majority of questions sent to this group relates to javascript in a web browser. If you are experiencing issues with a particular browser, or the host is not a browser at all, please make this information clear. Javascript and Java are two completely different languages. Java questions should be asked in one of the comp.lang.java.* newsgroups; they are not appropriate for clj (as Java and javascript are distinct programming languages with only superficial similarities due to sharing a C-like syntax and some of the characters in their names). Questions dealing with other scripting languages, such as VBScript, PerlScript or CGI scripting are also off-topic, as are HTML-only or CSS-only questions. Questions that are specific to Microsoft's JScript may also be appropriately asked at: microsoft.public.scripting.jscript The comp.lang.javascript newsgroup charter is included in http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/cljs_charter.html === Postings such as this are automatically sent once a day. Their goal is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to the community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete comp.la...

topicality
I'm looking at cygwin, which emulates linux, and desire to develop with gcc. Is this an appropriate place to ask questions? MPJ On 2004-11-30, Merrill & Michele <beckjensen@comcast.net> wrote: > I'm looking at cygwin, which emulates linux, and desire to develop > with gcc. No, AFAIK, cygwin is a port of several GNU utilities (like gcc, perhaps bash, etc...) to the Windows operating system. cygwin does not emulate the Linux kernel. See http://www.cygwin.com/ for more (which mentions mailing lists)... Did you consider instead to install a GNU/Linux di...

Off Topic
I promise not to do this again!,as know this is a serious format & dedicated to strictly business,about printers,but I don't KNOW how to thank all you precious!!!!!! gentlemen,for SO much encouragement & help,except to TRY to give you MY kinda help,and although I still have a printer problem you have all enlightened and pinpointed so much!,and that has helped immensely!,so nothing was in vain! Therefore I want you all to remain safe in 2006,and forever more!,so if you will only heed this advice it should be a cinch! Wireless Security System In four easy s...

Off topic
--- Recibido de BBVACENT.U094016 GOMEZ TEJERINA, PEDRO AL* 21-05-04 14.23 -> SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Dear SAS users, I would like to know whether is it possible to send some instructions to Adobe Acrobat from MS-DOS. More concretely, I would like to make a batch process of a list of pdf files in order to reduce their size. I know how to do this from the program itself, but I would need to do it from MS-DOS. Many thanks for your help. Pedro Alberto G�mez Departamento de Investigaci�n Comercial BBVA Goya 14 28001 Madrid. 913743577 <mailto:PEDRO.GOMEZ@GRUPOBB...

Web resources about - Slightly off-topic topic - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Off topic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Off-topic evidence brought in Australian journalist Peter Greste's case in Cairo
Holiday snaps of Australian Peter Greste’s parents and his award-winning BBC documentary on Somalia were just two of the many pieces of irrelevant ...

Off Topic Lounge - Android Authority Forums
Anything goes here. Well almost...

Off Topic, But Not Entirely.
I just joined the public beta of the Ello, which seems to be a wannabe hipster alternative to Facebook. Seeing as I never got Facebook, and despite ...

Off topic: Hurricane Patricia
Hurricane Patricia is about to make landfall in Mexico as a category 5 storm. According to the National Hurricane Center : There has been little ...

Off-Topic
When Google announced in 2010 that it would be "sunsetting" the Google Wave product, there were a lot of theories as to why the search giant ...

Conference Content – Basic and Off-Topic, or Not?
A few thoughts from sitting in on Marketing Profs B2B Forum in Boston: Are conferences too basic? This question is just to head off the inevitable ...

The Escapist : Forums : Off-topic Discussion : Is having lots of money a super power?
The mouthpiece of the gaming generation, The Escapist aims to capture and celebrate the contemporary video gaming lifestyle and the diverse global ...

Off-Topic With Double Fine’s Tim Schafer
... of that historic fundraising drive Gus Mastrapa called Tim Schafer and spoke to him about none of those things. Please enjoy this off-topic ...

Off Topic: What the Past Three Months Have Taught Me
It’s exactly three months to the day since I had my heart attack. What has followed has been a life-altering experience, forcing me to learn ...