Sql Scripts to Monitor another SQL Database.

Greetings All, I was hoping that some of you might be aware of any
free scripts that were written explicitly for the purpose of
monitoring a SQL Server database.  I want to be able to determine
up/down events, Error Log updates, Long running Transactions,
Deadlocks, etc.  My plan is to use a central SQL Server database as a
repository that will query (via t-sql) the target SQL Server boxes for
the events listed above.  If one of the events falls outside of a
defined range I will use xp_sendmail to alert me via my pager.  I have
been looking at third party tools like BMC Patrol, Quest Foglight, and
Embarcadero Performance Center and although they are very nice they
are also very EXPENSIVE.  I am looing for a cheap solution.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Louis
0
froliol (42)

"Louis Frolio" <froliol@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings All, I was hoping that some of you might be aware of any
> free scripts that were written explicitly for the purpose of
> monitoring a SQL Server database.  I want to be able to determine
> up/down events, Error Log updates, Long running Transactions,
> Deadlocks, etc.  My plan is to use a central SQL Server database as a
> repository that will query (via t-sql) the target SQL Server boxes for
> the events listed above.  If one of the events falls outside of a
> defined range I will use xp_sendmail to alert me via my pager.  I have
> been looking at third party tools like BMC Patrol, Quest Foglight, and
> Embarcadero Performance Center and although they are very nice they
> are also very EXPENSIVE.  I am looing for a cheap solution.  Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Louis

All the items you mention can be found by parsing log files, using traces,
using Performance Monitor etc. So you could write your own scripts and tools
to gather the data, but you need to consider how expensive your time is
compared to the price of the existing tools. Google can probably find
scripts for some of those things, so that would be the first place to look,
I guess.

Simon

0
sql (2120)

How do I reference a table in one database from a SQL script running in another database?
I am construvcting a number of databases, some of which contain sensitive data and most of which do not. I am attempting to handle the security issues involved in protecting sensitive data in part by putting it in its own database. If the sensitive data is in a database called d_SensitiveData, and in that database there is a table called 't_A' (I know, not very informative, but this is only a trivially simple example :-), and I have a script running in a database 'NotSensitiveData' (i.e. there is a statement at the beginning of the script "USE NotSensitiveData"), how do I referenece the primary key in table 'A'? I tried a variety of things like: ALTER TABLE t_nsX ADD CONSTRAINT FK_PersonID FOREIGN KEY (p_idPerson) REFERENCES SensitiveData.t_A (p_idPerson); The above is, in fact, my latest attempt. Everything I tried has failed precisely at the point where I specify a table in a different database. So what is the trick to refering to a table in one database when using another database? This will be used in a ASP.NET v3 application where one of the things I want to do is have the authentication provider be a different database from the one used for the main application data. Does anyone know of an example I can download from the web that does the same sort of thing I want to try, with some discussion of security issues involved (i.e. what I can do to harden the application and data server)? NB: I am an application developer, not...

export sqlserver database to ms-access by sql script
Hi Is there anyway to export a sqlserver database to ms-access through a sql scipt only without using the sql enterprise manager. -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-general/200601/1 ...

How to import from external SQL database to local SQL database
Hello everyone. I have two machines that have SQL Express on them. I have developed a SQL database with two tables, and a lot of data, on my laptop. I want to copy that database and make it available to my local desktop machine. How can I export or save the database on the laptop and then import it so that I can use it on the desktop? ...

OT: How Can I Copy Database Content to Another SQL Database?
Hey guys, I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How can I find out who is logged into the database? Would it be easier to write a SQL script? Thanks! alvinstraight38@hotmail.com (alvinstraight38@hotmail.com) writes: > I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the > complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I > have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live > database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. > > I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the > Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall > because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How > can I find out who is logged into the database? You can run sp_who or sp_who2 and look in the database column. Mostly, you are the one yourself who is active in the database. You cannot run restore command from a query window which has that database as the current database. If you don't care wh...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

Easiest way to copy a MS-SQL Database from one machine to another
Can anyone recommend the easiest way to get a full copy of a database from one server to another. The servers are not part of the same organization or network. I have received a backup of the database created with enterprise manager but am unable to restore it into a database of the same name on my server. Thanks, Kevin "Kevin" <noemail@provided.com> wrote in message news:tr_Zd.699401$8l.384177@pd7tw1no... > Can anyone recommend the easiest way to get a full copy of a database from > one server to another. The servers are not part of the same organization > or > network. > > I have received a backup of the database created with enterprise manager > but > am unable to restore it into a database of the same name on my server. > > Thanks, > > Kevin > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314546 Backup and restore is usually the easiest way - if you're having a problem restoring a backup, then I suggest you post whatever error message you get. You can also try restoring from Query Analyzer: restore database MyDB from disk = 'c:\temp\db.bak' Sometimes errors in QA are more informative than what EM tells you. See the full RESTORE syntax in Books Online for moving file locations etc. Simon Did you checked the paths to database files before restoring? If you are using the EM restore database function, the database name doesn't matter. You can name your new databas...

US-TX-Austin: SQL Database Dev., SQL,SQL Analyzer and Profiler; (45349932406)
US-TX-Austin: SQL Database Dev., SQL,SQL Analyzer and Profiler; (45349932406) ============================================================================= Position: SQL Database Dev. Reference: ZYD00030 Location: Austin TX Duration: Skills: 3+ years experience as a Database Developer with significant SQL 2000 experience Must have the ability to develop, debug, test and troubleshoot queries,macros, and modules Experience and understanding of database design Proficient with SQL Query Analyzer, ...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > > The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject > line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server > site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would try select * from master..sysdatabases where databaseproperty(name, 'IsInRecovery') = 1 and see if that finds something. There are a couple of more properties for Databaseproperty that you should search for. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Jan 30, 5:30 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes: > > > While I was out of the office the Lan Team ...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

[PL/SQL] DataBASE Interaction with PL/SQL
Hello Oracle Guru's, I know that PL/SQL does't accept any user inputs. but i need the following functionality like And Please do not ask the reason for. (My question is coming at the end of this part) Algorithm 1.Execute a procedure 2. accept some input parameters 3. check for some condition 4. pass those accepted parameter to the Dynamic SQL/cursor etc.... 5. Print the output using DBMS.Package 6.The END Here is a sample procedure, but this procedure will accept parameters only when a run the entire procedure (first time) ------------------------------------------- create or replace procedure test as t_empno varchar2(10) := '&empno'; t_ename varchar2(100); begin Select empname into t_ename from empmaster Where empno=t_empno; dbms_output.put_line('Name: '|| t_ename); -- p(t_ename) ; --thanks for asktom.oracle.com end; ---------------------------------------------- Out/put (Image only some i/o is translated from japaneseto english) empno....?: E1234567 old 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := '&empno'; new 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := 'E1234567'; Procedure created SQL> exec test nameofthe employ here PL/SQLcompleted succ.... ------------------------------------------------- My question is How can i write a PL/SQL to perform the above algorithm i.e When i say EXEC test the following screnn should appear empno....?: E1234567 old 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := '&...

SQL 7 to SQL 2000 Database Migration
Could someone help us with a problem we're having with regard to moving several databases from SQL 7 to SQL 2000 on different servers in different domains. Our current SQL 7 server resides in one domain, and holds several databases. We now want to move these to a SQL 2000 server in another domain. We're trying to use the Copy Database wizard on the SQL 2000 server (logged in as the local admin account), selecting the SQL 7 server as the source, using 'sa' account on that server. The target is the SQL 2000 server, again using 'sa' account. We're leaving everythi...

Practicing SQL on sample database through PL SQL
Hello All, I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a schema. All I want to learn for the time being is 1 .PL SQL Commands . 2 . and learn to use the "Select" statement effeciently coz I would be using it in SAS. So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a sample database in the Web or if there is some database some where I could do some thing . thanks JQ Jquest wrote: > Hello All, > > I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a > schema. All I want to learn for the time being is > > 1 .PL SQL Commands . > 2 . and learn to use the "Select" statement effeciently coz I would > be using it in SAS. > > So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a > sample database in the Web or if there is some database some where I > could do some thing . > > thanks > JQ > On the companion CD there are some sample schemas available. regards, pedro Jquest wrote: > Hello All, > > I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a > schema. All I want to learn for the time being is > > 1 .PL SQL Commands . > 2 . and learn to use the "Select" statement effeciently coz I would > be using it in SAS. > > So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a > sample database in the Web or if there is some database some...

Database Toolkit: Reading data from SQL database
Hello, &nbsp; I have been working on a automated test system storing data into a SQL server database.&nbsp; Once you get your head wrapped around the toolkit and walk through some of the examples it is not too bad.&nbsp; Writing to the database was very straight forward.&nbsp; I simply put all of my data including the primary keys into a cluster and inserted the cluster into the specified table.&nbsp; As I learned the hard way,&nbsp; it is very important for all of your types to match up.&nbsp; I saved double type&nbsp;from labview as decimal type&nbsp;in th...

MS SQL database administrator
Dear Partners, Interested parties can forward their consultants profile to versatilehr.farook@gmail.com with their contact information expected rates and we will get back to you with the updates very soon. Title: MS SQL database administration Location: Missouri Job Type: 6+ Months Contract. We are looking for an experienced Software Design Engineer in Test (SDET) with experience in MS SQL database administration and testing. Primary responsibilities will include performance testing our product offering as a whole for the next release. More responsibilities include: 1. providing database engineering expertise 2. developing automated tests for performance 3. assisting in the development of the performance testing infrastructure 4. filing well written performance bug reports 5. reviewing development and feature specs 6. creating performance test plans This is a fast paced environment in which everyone takes ownership of the end-to-end performance solution. The candidate must have the ability to grasp new technology quickly, be highly self-motivated, have the flexibility to occasionally operate out-of-scope, and work well within a small team. Requirements: This position requires experience and knowledge of testing processes such as: test automation, code coverage, test case development, and other engineering best practices. The Software Design Engineer in Test should have excellent communication skills, problem-solving skills and be detail-minded and self-motivated. Experi...

MS SQL Server databases
Hi, I am looking for a tool to create MS SQL Server databases. Who can help me? Valentine Download BOL, it's free and it will show you how to create SQL databases. If you don't have SQL you can buy the developer edition for $50 http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp HTH Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! ...

Attachments MS SQL Database
I'am using an MS 2005 Database together with ADO and all works perfect. Can someone show me some small piece of code how to attach for example a Excel/Word attachment to a SQL record. I know what kind of fieldtype I have to define on the SQL server but no idea how to attach external files to a record. Any examples on this would be helpfull. Thanks, Rob Rob > I'am using an MS 2005 Database together with ADO and all works > perfect. Can someone show me some small piece of code how to attach > for example a Excel/Word attachment to a SQL record. I know what kind ...

MS SQL database administrator
Dear Partners, Interested parties can forward their consultants profile to versatilehr.farook@gmail.com with their contact information expected rates and we will get back to you with the updates very soon. Title: MS SQL database administration Location: Missouri Job Type: 6+ Months Contract. We are looking for an experienced Software Design Engineer in Test (SDET) with experience in MS SQL database administration and testing. Primary responsibilities will include performance testing our product offering as a whole for the next release. More responsibilities include: 1. prov...

Exporting a MS-SQL database
I have an asp site connected to an MS-SQL database, I need to export the database and import it in to a MySQL database? How would I be able to do this? My only way of communicating with the MS-SQL database is via asp scripts. Thank You Ben Sagal PS. i have no problem fixing the SQL code manually to be compatible with MySQL. TI know you only have access via an asp script , but MySQL do offer a migration toolkit -- Jack Vamvas ___________________________________ Search IT jobs from multiple sources- http://www.ITjobfeed.com/SQL <bsagal@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1191321416.670361.48860@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com... >I have an asp site connected to an MS-SQL database, I need to export > the database and import it in to a MySQL database? How would I be able > to do this? My only way of communicating with the MS-SQL database is > via asp scripts. > > Thank You > Ben Sagal > > PS. i have no problem fixing the SQL code manually to be compatible > with MySQL. > ...

Copy databases from SQL 2005 server to SQL Express
Two Windows 2003 server, one with SQL 2005 server, another with SQL Express. Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Thanks. Thanks (Thanks@work.com) writes: > Two Windows 2003 server, > one with SQL 2005 server, > another with SQL Express. > > Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Yes, but I don't think you can use the Copy Database Wizard, but you will have to do it by hand. Which is not very difficult anyway. On source machine backup database, and make note of the logical filenames. (You see these with sp_helpdb). On target machine to do: RESTORE db FROM DISK = 'pathgoeshere' WITH MOVE 'logicalfilename1' TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data\db.mdf', WITH MOVE 'logicalfilename2' TO TO 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\Data\db.ldf', REPLACE I've used MSSQL.2 for the target, but you use the number for your Express instance. You find out which is which by looking around in the directories. This does not migrate logins, and mappings user and logins are likely to be out of whack. You can use sp_change_users_login to fix. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions...

Updating online SQL 2005 database from local database
I have my first small SQl Server 2005 database developed on my local server and I have also its equivalent as an online database. I wish to update the local database (using and asp.net interface) and then to upload the data (at least the amended data, but given the small size all data should be no trouble) to the online database. I think replication is the straight answer but I have no experience of this and I am wondering what else I might use which might be less complicated. One solution is DTS (using SQL 2000 terms) but i am not sure if I can set this up (1) to overwrite existing tables and (2) not to seemingly remove identity attributes from fields set as identities. I know there are other possibilities but I would be glad of advice as to the likely best method for a small database updated perhaps once weekly or at less frequent intervals, Best wishes, John Morgan Since my first message I have investigated replication further and it does not seem as complicated as first thought and I have successfully carried out a snapshot replication on my local server. the main disadvantage of replication now seems to be that my online sql database provider charges $50 for providing a replication facility (presumably for enabling a push subscription) The payment is not significant providing replication is the way to to go for the occasional updating of an online server from my local server. Best wishes, John Morgan Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:32:40 GMT, John Morgan <jfm@XXwoo...

How do I a smallint SQL database value using the Database tools?
I'm using the Database Toolset with Labview 7. I'm building up a parameterized Query to a Stored Procedure in my SQL Database. It doesn't appear that smallint output types are supported because zero is always loaded into the variable. Is this correct? I'm I doing something wrong? Feedback welcome... thanks! It's probibly not an issue with datatypes since LV has far more datatypes than most databases. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you getting the 0 when running the stored procedure? Could you perhaps post a bit of code (LV and SQL) that demonstrates the issue? Mike... ...

Web resources about - Sql Scripts to Monitor another SQL Database. - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
... companies – Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) – both made it easier for Oracle's (NYSE: ORCL) customers to move their databases ...