SQL Server 2000 Failover Cluster upgrade to SQL Server 2005

I attempted to upgrade my SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (32 bit)
to SQL Severer 2005 EE 32 bit and while the prereqs passed the
installer will not let me select the version 8.00.x (2000 SP4)
database that it finds on the server.

When I ckeck the install details it tells me that
"Your upgrade is blocked becuase of cluster upgrade rules"

I have tried searching the MS site but none of the entries I found
appear to apply.

Any ideas?

-- Mark D Powell --
0
Mark.Powell (1630)

Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes:
> I attempted to upgrade my SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (32 bit)
> to SQL Severer 2005 EE 32 bit and while the prereqs passed the
> installer will not let me select the version 8.00.x (2000 SP4)
> database that it finds on the server.
>
> When I ckeck the install details it tells me that
> "Your upgrade is blocked becuase of cluster upgrade rules"
>
> I have tried searching the MS site but none of the entries I found
> appear to apply.
>
> Any ideas?

Exactly when do you get this error? And do you have a cluster in the first
place?

I have not run that many upgrades (if any at all) to SQL 2005, but do you
really select which *database* to upgrade? The upgrade is per instance,
as far as I know.

In any case, it may be simpler to install a new server instance rather
than upgrading, not the least on a cluster.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

esquel (7068)
9/6/2008 9:37:26 AM
On Sep 6, 5:37=A0am, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:
> Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes:
>
> > I attempted to upgrade my SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (32 bit)
> > to SQL Severer 2005 EE 32 bit and while the prereqs passed the
> > installer will not let me select the version 8.00.x (2000 SP4)
> > database that it finds on the server.
>
> > When I ckeck the install details it tells me that
> > "Your upgrade is blocked becuase of cluster upgrade rules"
>
> > I have tried searching the MS site but none of the entries I found
> > appear to apply.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Exactly when do you get this error? And do you have a cluster in the firs=
> place?
>
> I have not run that many upgrades (if any at all) to SQL 2005, but do you
> really select which *database* to upgrade? The upgrade is per instance,
> as far as I know.
>
> In any case, it may be simpler to install a new server instance rather
> than upgrading, not the least on a cluster.
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.msp=

I figured the probme out.  I apparently missed the check box where you
have to tell it you are on a cluster even though when it runs the pre-
install checks it finds both nodes and runs the checks on them.

I have a new problem after performing the upgrade, applying SP2, and
then hot fix pack 7 in that the SQL Agent will no longer run.
Searching on SQL Server Agent (Agent XP Disabled) found me 3 potential
fixes.

1-   use sp_configure to enable routines
2- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190730.aspx      --
verify ID has privilege to page lock
3- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943525
--  change Id to non-domain administrator Id

Item 1 did not fix the issue, item 2 was already true, so item 3.
Jobs run but now 1/3 of my jobs which all obtain data from Oracle are
failing with an invalid user/password.  The link connects to Oracle
with a different Id depending on who uses it but all the jobs are
being ran by the Id that used to run the agent.  I do not know if that
is a change from the upgrade or if this was always true.  I manually
tested the id/passwords from the server but what passwords are in use
in the link are hidden.  Still it should not have changed since it was
working prior to the upgrade.

-- Mark D Powell --

0
Mark.Powell (1630)
9/6/2008 7:16:21 PM
On Sep 6, 3:16=A0pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow...@eds.com> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 5:37=A0am, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:
>

> > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes:
>
> > > I attempted to upgrade my SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition (32 bit)
> > > to SQL Severer 2005 EE 32 bit and while the prereqs passed the
> > > installer will not let me select the version 8.00.x (2000 SP4)
> > > database that it finds on the server.
>
> > > When I ckeck the install details it tells me that
> > > "Your upgrade is blocked becuase of cluster upgrade rules"
>
> > > I have tried searching the MS site but none of the entries I found
> > > appear to apply.
>
> > > Any ideas?
>
> > Exactly when do you get this error? And do you have a cluster in the fi=
rst
> > place?
>
> > I have not run that many upgrades (if any at all) to SQL 2005, but do y=
ou
> > really select which *database* to upgrade? The upgrade is per instance,
> > as far as I know.
>
> > In any case, it may be simpler to install a new server instance rather
> > than upgrading, not the least on a cluster.
>
> > --
> > Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...@sommarskog.se
>
> > Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> > SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> > SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> > SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.m=
spx

> I figured the probme out. =A0I apparently missed the check box where you
> have to tell it you are on a cluster even though when it runs the pre-
> install checks it finds both nodes and runs the checks on them.
>
> I have a new problem after performing the upgrade, applying SP2, and
> then hot fix pack 7 in that the SQL Agent will no longer run.
> Searching on SQL Server Agent (Agent XP Disabled) found me 3 potential
> fixes.
>
> 1- =A0 use sp_configure to enable routines
> 2-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190730.aspx=A0 =A0 =A0--
> verify ID has privilege to page lock
> 3-http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943525
> -- =A0change Id to non-domain administrator Id
>
> Item 1 did not fix the issue, item 2 was already true, so item 3.
> Jobs run but now 1/3 of my jobs which all obtain data from Oracle are
> failing with an invalid user/password. =A0The link connects to Oracle
> with a different Id depending on who uses it but all the jobs are
> being ran by the Id that used to run the agent. =A0I do not know if that
> is a change from the upgrade or if this was always true. =A0I manually
> tested the id/passwords from the server but what passwords are in use
> in the link are hidden. =A0Still it should not have changed since it was
> working prior to the upgrade.
>
> -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -

To get the sqlagent to run we changed the connection to run as a local
system account instead of a domain user.  The jobs that reference the
link to Oracle would then fail.

Then I dropped and re-created the link to Oracle.  The jobs then
resumed working,

-- Mark D Powell --
0
Mark.Powell (1630)

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Can SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server 2005 be installed on same machine?
I am interested in installing both SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server 2005 b2 on the same machine. Can they both be installed on the same machine without conflicts? As in two different instances? John Dalberg John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<tpnme2253onv.6h4z5zpbsegl.dlg@40tude.net>... > I am interested in installing both SQL Server 2005 Express and SQL Server > 2005 b2 on the same machine. Can they both be installed on the same machine > without conflicts? As in two different instances? > > John Dalberg From what I understand of the...

Upgrade SQL Server 2000 Failover Cluster from SP3 to SP4
I have a production failover cluster running SQL Server 2000 at SP3 that I want to upgrade to SP4. I do not have a test failover cluster to test with so I need the install on the primary server to work the first time. Per the information I have I just install the patch on the primary server and it will install both on the primary and on the secondary. However, I remember when I did the initial install and it failed. The first problem traced to the fact that the install uses temporary files under the profile of the installing administrator and the id had never logged into the second server ...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't...

Why upgrade to MS SQL Server (be it 2000 or 2005) from Access (say, 97)?
Probably this question has been asked hundreds of times and yet net search has not generated satisfactory enough answer, at least, to me. And OK, let's assume your organization has more than 200 employees, just one measure to indicate that it's not small and data processing needs are quite extensive (for both OLTP and OLAP). We've heard so much about concurrency support, stability and performance. Are there any real persuasive paper out there to talk about it? Now, let me also put it in another perspective, say, you're a Microsoft sql server sales guy or gal for that matte...

Explicitly fail a SQL Server Job in SQL Server 2000
I have a SQL Server job, which runs mutiple steps. One of the steps (step 3) looks for a record in the database. How can I explicitly fail the SQL server job if the database record does not exist? You can use RAISERROR with a severity level of 11 or higher to indicate failure. Simon Thanks Simon. That worked. ...

Problem with casting value under 64-bit sql server 2005 vs under 32-bit sql server 2005
Hello - I have a strange problem when casting value under 64-bit sql server 2005 vs under 32-bit sql server 2005. I got two servers. One has 32-bit SQL server 2005 standard edition (version 9.00.3073.00) on Windows NT 5.2 (3790) with NT INTEL x86. The second server has 64-bit SQL server Enterprise edition (version 9.00.4035.00) on Windows NT 5.2 (3790) with NT AMD64. The problem came when I tried to cast value under 32-bit SQL server 2005, the result gets queried out. But when the same sql got run, it prompted conversion error - "Error converting data type varchar to numeric." under the 64-bit server. I tried cleaned up the data and it still gives the same error. Please help. Thanks in advance. xo wrote: > Hello - > > I have a strange problem when casting value under 64-bit sql server > 2005 vs under 32-bit sql server 2005. > > I got two servers. One has 32-bit SQL server 2005 standard edition > (version 9.00.3073.00) on Windows NT 5.2 (3790) with NT INTEL x86. > The second server has 64-bit SQL server Enterprise edition (version > 9.00.4035.00) on Windows NT 5.2 (3790) with NT AMD64. > > The problem came when I tried to cast value under 32-bit SQL server > 2005, the result gets queried out. But when the same sql got run, it > prompted conversion error - "Error converting data type varchar to > numeric." under the 64-bit server. > > I tried cleaned up the data and it still gives the same error. &g...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

Setting a SQL Server-wide Block timeout for SQL Server 2005
Hi, I'm new at SQL Server 2005, and am having quite a number of problems with blocked deadlocks at the moment. http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/blocking_p1.aspx says that "By default, blocking locks do not time out. The waiting connection waits until the lock is released, and the block is over. If you like, you can set a lock time-out so that a connection does not wait indefinitely for the blocking lock to be released. This is accomplished using the LOCK_TIMEOUT setting." I'm wondering if there is an easy setting on the SQL Server Management Studio Express, or anywhere on SQL Server where I can set a server- wide/database-wide/table-wide LOCK_TIMEOUT setting, without having the change the existing applications accessing the server. Thanks! cwho80 (fuzzybr80@gmail.com) writes: > I'm new at SQL Server 2005, and am having quite a number of problems > with blocked deadlocks at the moment. > > http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/blocking_p1.aspx says that > "By default, blocking locks do not time out. The waiting connection > waits until the lock is released, and the block is over. If you like, > you can set a lock time-out so that a connection does not wait > indefinitely for the blocking lock to be released. This is > accomplished using the LOCK_TIMEOUT setting." > > I'm wondering if there is an easy setting on the SQL Server Management > Studio Express, or anywhere on SQL Server wher...

SQL server replication from non-clustered database servers
Hello, Being a bit of a SQL Server novice, need some advice with the following situation. Server A and Server B have SQLServer 2000 based databases. The vendor of the application/system has implemented their own replication process to ensure the 2 databases are in sync. However, there is no clustering with virtual IP addresses implemented. So to an external client/db, it is 2 identical databases with the same name on 2 distinct servers. We need to develop an application that will reside on a networked server C and with SQLServer 2000 as well. While most of the tables in this database are self contained, around 10 tables will have to be mirror copies of the same tables from either Server A or Server B. Question, how do we implement subscription based replication on top of a redundant database, when no clustering is implemented? So, in essence, when Server A is alive, the database on Server C will periodically (or on change) replicate the 10 tables from Server A. When Server A is not alive, it needs to do same from server B. (When both server A and B are alive, it is acceptable to get data from either, since they are synchronized internally). Any alternate suggestions on achieving this functionality are welcome too. If SQL Server 2005 has some capabilities that may address this problem, that is a consideration as well. Thanks Pls take a look at Alternate Synchronization Partners in merge replication. On SQL Server 2005 you might consider peer-to-peer transactional repl...

Copy databases from SQL 2005 server to SQL Express
Two Windows 2003 server, one with SQL 2005 server, another with SQL Express. Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Thanks. Thanks (Thanks@work.com) writes: > Two Windows 2003 server, > one with SQL 2005 server, > another with SQL Express. > > Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Yes, but I don't think you can use the Copy Database Wizard, but you will have to do it by hand. Which is not very difficult anyway. On source machine backup database, and make note of the logical filenames. (You see these with sp_helpdb). ...

MS SQL Server 2005
I am currently running SQL Server 2005 on a stand alone (not a domain member) Windows Server 2003, this server was installed during setup using local user accounts as service accounts. As far as I recall at the time everything, including the SQL agent functioned normally. At this time, the server itself still seems to be running fine, however the SQL Agent service will not start. I can not be sure as up until recently we haven't really been using the SQL Agent, however I believe the problem would have started around the time that service pack 1 was installed. The following is the event...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

Installing MS sql server 2000 on win 2003 server
How do I do this when my instalation cd is an old veriosn with no SP�s? Win 2003 requires MS SQL 2000 SP3 sp what do I do??? Regards Anders > When you get the prompt saying that it must be SP3 you can continue to the > end of the installation as per normal. You should then install SP3 > immediately before you do anything else. SP3a can be download from the > microsoft web site. Actually not. It says: Ms SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Ediditon server componenet is not supportet on this operating system. Only client componentes will be avaible for instalation. I juts read that bef...

can not connect to linked sql server 2000 from sql 2005
I have sql2005 db (main) on one network and sql2000 (bogus) on the other, both are under W'2003, both servers see each other over tcp/ip. I need to link bogus sql2000 to main sql2005, so I would execute query on main and read bogus data. This is my script to add linked server: EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedserver @server = N'BOGUS', @srvproduct=N'', @provider=N'SQLNCLI', @datasrc=N'123.145.156.167\BOGUS', @catalog=N'BOGUS_DB' GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedsrvlogin N'BOGUS', N'false', NULL, N'bogus_user', N'bogus_pwd' GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'BOGUS', @optname=N'collation compatible', @optvalue=N'false' GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'BOGUS', @optname=N'data access', @optvalue=N'true' GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'BOGUS', @optname=N'rpc', @optvalue=N'true' GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'BOGUS', @optname=N'rpc out', @optvalue=N'true' GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'BOGUS', @optname=N'sub', @optvalue=N'false' GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'BOGUS', @optname=N'connect timeout', @optvalue=N'0' GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'BOGUS', @optname=N'collation name', @optvalue=null GO EXEC master.dbo.sp_serveroption @server=N'BOGUS', @optname=N...

Access2003
This is the vba code Set db =3D CurrentDb On error goto fErr =85. loop strSql =3D "UPDATE tblInvAnalysisWhse" & _ " SET ltDeviation =3D " & Sqr(dblError / intPeriods) & _ " WHERE item =3D '" & Trim(strItem) & "'" & _ " AND location =3D " & intLocation dblCount =3D dblCount + 1 db.Execute strSql, dbFailOnError fErr: stop resume next db.execute always fails after 1246 iterations, with - [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired ,ODBC.Database ,0 - ODBC--update on a linked table 'tblInvAnalysisWhse' failed. ,DAO.Database ,3157 'tblInvAnalysisWhse=92 has 107,000+ records, and is a linked sql server table Columns item & location are indexed Strsql on failure is UPDATE tblInvAnalysisWhse SET ltDeviation =3D 9 WHERE item =3D 'P103 L25348' AND location =3D 21 If I try to execute the UPDATE statement in sql server, it never completes (> 8 mins and running) There=92s nothing in the sql server logs And my process only has 20 object locks Until I 'stop' running the ms-access function, and then the sql server statement completes immediately Of course, all the locks are gone so the problem has to do with locks So what do I need to do, in a vba loop, to free up my sql server locks after each update statement ? create a tran...

Help! Sql Server 2005 kicked my Sql Server 7's You-Know-What
Life is not good. So I've got a machine that I do some development work on, nothing major, but I'd like to keep some things intact. I'm running SQL Server 7, it's an old installation, but it works and I've got a number of databases on it. So I see the new 2005 Express downloads and I download the Web Developer edition, install it, it installs 2005, but my SQL Server 7 installation now seems to be hosed. The SQL Server Service Manager still shows SQL Server 7 starting and running, but the Enterprise Manager can no longer connect, it gives a vague "General Error"...

Database link to a MS SQL Server 2000
Hi NG, we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines directly. Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? thanx abbas On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:13:02 +0200, "Abbas" <ar.newsgroup@web.de> wrote: >Hi NG, > >we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. > >There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines >directly. > >Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? > >thanx >abbas > Look into using Heterogeneous Services in your Net administrators manual. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Are you willing to install a bridge program to create this "link"? If so, then try www.examinstudio.com Do as Sybrand told you, look at the Heterogenous services of Oracle. Oracle even supports natively DRDA towards a DB2 z/OS mainframe, and they also support SQL Server. They all end-up like a database link with a totally quallified names in the "from" clause. Be aware of that distributed joins between different DBMS systems might cause huge performance problems, keep the functionality when dealing with multiple DBMS systems simple, no dist...

Using SQL Server IP for non-sql uses on a failover cluster
At my organization, users have started to use the virtual address created when SQL Server is installed on a failover cluster for non-SQL uses. I have always created an cluster IP resource in addition to the SQL cluster IP resource for non-SQL access to the server (like for mapping drives). What is the impact on SQL Server if people use the SQL virtual IP for non-SQL related access to the cluster? Is there a best practice that dictates that a separate IP should be provided for non-SQL access? Mark (google@markginsburg.com) writes: > At my organization, users have started to use the virtual address > created when SQL Server is installed on a failover cluster for non-SQL > uses. > > I have always created an cluster IP resource in addition to the SQL > cluster IP resource for non-SQL access to the server (like for mapping > drives). > > What is the impact on SQL Server if people use the SQL virtual IP for > non-SQL related access to the cluster? > > Is there a best practice that dictates that a separate IP should be > provided for non-SQL access? Since I'm into clustering myself, I relayed the question to my MVP mates. Here are two responses I recevied: There is no different impact to SQL Between using the SQL name/ip or a different name/ip in the same resource group. All it is in either case is a socket connection to the server on one ip or another. And response to this comment was: The impact is this: if th...

Oracle DB to MS Sql Server DB Replication question...via Sql Server Views??
Hi, I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not allowed to configure or change the db). We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to query the Oracle database. With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the delta for subsequent replications? Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! Thanx, Doemon doemon@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look > into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: > We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not > allowed to configure or change the db). > We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to > query the Oracle database. > > With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can > we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another > Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the > delta for subsequent replications? > > Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! > I don't know the answer to the second question, nor your versions, but the first sh...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

Web resources about - SQL Server 2000 Failover Cluster upgrade to SQL Server 2005 - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Failover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
server, system, hardware component, or network. Failover and switchover are essentially the same operation, except that failover is automatic ...

Failover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
server, system, hardware component, or network. Failover and switchover are essentially the same operation, except that failover is automatic ...

Windows Server 2012 R2 failover clustering: Understanding quorum improvements
Since the October 2013 release of Windows Server 2012 R2, much has been said about the array of upgrades to the new cloud-aligned server operating ...

How to Ensure Fast Failover and DR for Enterprise Apps
Your applications are absolutely critical to you and your users. Now, learn how to ensure fast failover and disaster recovery for enterprise ...

VMware vCenter SRM 5.0 Extends DR Failover Protection
... data center operator still has enough control over the circumstances to ensure that the business processes will come up smoothly in the failover ...

Google's Transition from Single Datacenter, to Failover, to a Native Multihomed Architecture
... High-Availability at Massive Scale: Building Google’s Data Infrastructure for Ads . The main idea of the paper is that the typical failover ...

Failover: Messy Realities
People who don't live in operations can carry some funny misconceptions in their heads. Some of my personal faves: Just add some servers! I want ...

Windows Server - Failover Clustering - Network Load balancing (NLB)
Get product information, support, and news from Microsoft.

Leveraging Microsoft Azure as your disaster recovery/failover data center
... to replicate VMs to Azure. Microsoft has put out in Preview a technology that will completely change how we view disaster recovery and failover ...

What is a Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adapter anyway?
A question often asked is, "What is the Microsoft Cluster Virtual Adapter and what can I do with it?" The typical, and correct answer, is to ...