SQL Server 7 vs 2000 question

This may be a simple question to answer, but I don't have a clue since I'm
not a dba.

I am using sql server 2000, while a client of ours is using sql server 7.
Both using Windows 2000 as an OS, but I don't think that means anything
here.

My question is, why does he have to specify the dbowner in his query
statements, while I don't?  Is this a setting somewhere in Enterprise
Manager?

For example, I can simply use the query "select * from tablename" while he
must use something like "select * from sa.tablename".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

0
fluyckx (13)

This is unlikely to be related to the version. MSSQL allows multiple objects
to have the same name, but different owners. When you create an object, you
can either specify the owner name explicitly, or leave it blank:

CREATE TABLE MyTable
CREATE TABLE dbo.MyTable
CREATE TABLE MyAccount.MyTable

If you are a member of sysadmin, db_owner or db_ddladmin, you can create an
object using someone else's user name. If you don't give a username, then
the object will always be owned by your username, or by dbo if you are in
the sysadmin role. When you reference it later in code, you can do the same:

SELECT * FROM MyTable
SELECT * FROM dbo.MyTable
SELECT * FROM MyAccount.MyTable

If you don't specify a user name, MSSQL looks for an object owned by your
user account. If there is none, it then looks for one owned by dbo. See
"Object Visibility and Qualification Rules" in BOL for examples.

In your scenario, it's not clear who has which permissions, but I guess your
client has created objects owned by sa, and is referencing them explicitly.
You may be accessing your own objects (MyAccount.Table), or dbo-owned
objects (dbo.Table), depending on who created them and what permissions you
have.

Simon

"Maze" <fluyckx@configsc.com> wrote in message
> This may be a simple question to answer, but I don't have a clue since I'm
> not a dba.
>
> I am using sql server 2000, while a client of ours is using sql server 7.
> Both using Windows 2000 as an OS, but I don't think that means anything
> here.
>
> My question is, why does he have to specify the dbowner in his query
> statements, while I don't?  Is this a setting somewhere in Enterprise
> Manager?
>
> For example, I can simply use the query "select * from tablename" while he
> must use something like "select * from sa.tablename".
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

0
sql (2120)
6/24/2003 6:51:09 PM
Thank you Simon, very helpful....

Frank

"Simon Hayes" <sql@hayes.ch> wrote in message
> This is unlikely to be related to the version. MSSQL allows multiple
objects
> to have the same name, but different owners. When you create an object,
you
> can either specify the owner name explicitly, or leave it blank:
>
> CREATE TABLE MyTable
> CREATE TABLE dbo.MyTable
> CREATE TABLE MyAccount.MyTable
>
> If you are a member of sysadmin, db_owner or db_ddladmin, you can create
an
> object using someone else's user name. If you don't give a username, then
> the object will always be owned by your username, or by dbo if you are in
> the sysadmin role. When you reference it later in code, you can do the
same:

> SELECT * FROM MyTable
> SELECT * FROM dbo.MyTable
> SELECT * FROM MyAccount.MyTable
>
> If you don't specify a user name, MSSQL looks for an object owned by your
> user account. If there is none, it then looks for one owned by dbo. See
> "Object Visibility and Qualification Rules" in BOL for examples.
>
> In your scenario, it's not clear who has which permissions, but I guess
your
> client has created objects owned by sa, and is referencing them
explicitly.
> You may be accessing your own objects (MyAccount.Table), or dbo-owned
> objects (dbo.Table), depending on who created them and what permissions
you
> have.
>
> Simon
>
> "Maze" <fluyckx@configsc.com> wrote in message
> > This may be a simple question to answer, but I don't have a clue since
I'm
> > not a dba.
> >
> > I am using sql server 2000, while a client of ours is using sql server
7.
> > Both using Windows 2000 as an OS, but I don't think that means anything
> > here.
> >
> > My question is, why does he have to specify the dbowner in his query
> > statements, while I don't?  Is this a setting somewhere in Enterprise
> > Manager?
> >
> > For example, I can simply use the query "select * from tablename" while
he
> > must use something like "select * from sa.tablename".
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Frank

0
fluyckx (13)

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

SQL Server 7 vs SQL Server 2000
I am looking for some document or resource that shows the difference between SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000. Any information is greatly appreciated. *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! On 31 Oct 2003 19:21:09 GMT in comp.databases.ms-sqlserver, Bryan Bitzer <juniper2000@hotmail.com> wrote: >I am looking for some document or resource that shows the difference >between SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000. >Any information is greatly appreciated. Don't know of any documents but you might search for "what's new" in the SQL section of MS's site but off the top of my head, user defined functions and cascade deletes on relationships are the main ones for me. -- A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer. Hi You may want to look at the what's new section of books online. Other information may be available at http://www.microsoft.com/sql John "Bryan Bitzer" <juniper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3fa2b625$0$202$75868355@news.frii.net... > I am looking for some document or resource that shows the difference > between SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000. > Any information is greatly appreciated. > > > > > > > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! Hi You may want to look at the what's new section of b...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they do squirly things that often break stuff. Thanks -- Alex Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes: > We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM > work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise > Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or > anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 > Enterprise Manager. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions > of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they > do squirly things that often break stuff. There isn't any Enterpr...

MS SQL Server 2000 / MS Access
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. No idea - it depends how big the tables are, what your queries look like, how you execute your queries etc. If you're using stored procedures, for example, then I would expect MSSQL to be faster, as all the processing happens on the server, and it can use indexes, caching etc. The best way to get an answer is simply to test it yourself. Simon ...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > > The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject > line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server > site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would try select * from master..sysdatabases where databaseproperty(name, 'IsInRecovery') = 1 and see if that finds something. There are a couple of more properties for Databaseproperty that you should search for. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Jan 30, 5:30 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes: > > > While I was out of the office the Lan Team ...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't know for sure. If it installs, it may still noe be supported. For SQL 2000 you need SP3 to run on Win 2003. That I know. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp ...

Restore SQL Server 6.5 database in SQL Server 2000
Hi, Do you know if it is possible to restore database (backup) from SQL Server 6.5 in SQL Server 2000? Best Regards, Wojtek -- (Remove bez.syfu get my e-mail address) ...

Database link to a MS SQL Server 2000
Hi NG, we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines directly. Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? thanx abbas On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:13:02 +0200, "Abbas" <ar.newsgroup@web.de> wrote: >Hi NG, > >we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server. > >There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines >directly. > >Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise? > >thanx >abbas > Look into using Heterogeneous Services in your Net administrators manual. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Are you willing to install a bridge program to create this "link"? If so, then try www.examinstudio.com Do as Sybrand told you, look at the Heterogenous services of Oracle. Oracle even supports natively DRDA towards a DB2 z/OS mainframe, and they also support SQL Server. They all end-up like a database link with a totally quallified names in the "from" clause. Be aware of that distributed joins between different DBMS systems might cause huge performance problems, keep the functionality when dealing with multiple DBMS systems simple, no dist...

Problem by design
Hi. Sorry for cross posting! After I've installed MS-SQL Server 2000, I've got a problem each time I open a table, view or diagram in design, in a MS-Access project. Something like a table is popping up, but only the headline of the table, there is no name in the headline. The (ghost) table is automatic getting focus, (like a dialog box), and I can't do anything. I can close the (ghost) table using ALT-F4 combination, but it is very annoying me. I've tried to uninstall both the MS-SQL Server 2000 and MS-Access 2000, I've also tried to compact and repair the database without luck. If I connect to MS-SQL Server 7 on another computer, (same database), everything is fine. My OS is Windows XP Home edition; the MS-SQL Server 7 is running on Windows 98. Does anyone here have had the same experiences? TIA J�rn ...

Can SQL Server 7.0 handle a SQL Server 2000 mdf?
I've got MSDE, SQL Server 7.0, installed. I want to handle an .mdf developed by someone else so I loaded the .mdf into my /DATA folder. But, MSDE/ODBC can't see the database. I subsequently discovered that it was created using SQL Server 2000. Is this the reason that my MSDE 7.0 doesn't see the .mdf? If so, how can I use this database with my 7.0? Backup from 2000, restore to 7.0? Thanks for any help. Mike Watson (mike@connectingsoftware.it) writes: > I've got MSDE, SQL Server 7.0, installed. I want to handle an .mdf > developed by someone else so I loaded the .mdf into my /DATA folder. > But, MSDE/ODBC can't see the database. I subsequently discovered that > it was created using SQL Server 2000. Is this the reason that my MSDE > 7.0 doesn't see the .mdf? If so, how can I use this database with my > 7.0? Backup from 2000, restore to 7.0? Well, there's actually two problems here. The fact that MSDE/ODBC can't see the database has nothing to do with the versions of SQL Server. Putting a file into your data directory has no effect. You would have to do sp_attach_db to make the database available. And for sp_attach_db the .mdf is not sufficient; you would need the log file too. There is sp_attach_single_file_db for this situation, but the database must have been shut down cleanly for this. (Well, this applies to sp_attach_db as well as I recall.) But for all this to work, the target server must be the same version or later t...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. Regards Kevin "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie > > The stored procedures probably won't be needed so that's ok. I think the difference may be because mssql server uses "transact sql" which is their version of sql statements. Did we really expect MS to play nicely! Can the database be attached/imported or would I have to create a delimited text file? Thanks again. "Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:UjL_b.22$mj7.1@newreader.ukcore.bt.net... > Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in > SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. > > Regards Kevin > > "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message > news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... >...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

Oracle DB to MS Sql Server DB Replication question...via Sql Server Views??
Hi, I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not allowed to configure or change the db). We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to query the Oracle database. With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the delta for subsequent replications? Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! Thanx, Doemon doemon@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look > into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: > We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not > allowed to configure or change the db). > We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to > query the Oracle database. > > With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can > we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another > Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the > delta for subsequent replications? > > Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! > I don't know the answer to the second question, nor your versions, but the first sh...

migrate Progress database to MS SQL Server 2000 #2
I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about movin to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do about it Is there a migration tool -- panagiotis@mel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- panagiotis@melo's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=817 View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7937 Yes ther is. You'll find it between your ears. Regards...Dan. "panagiotis@melo" <panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com> wrote in message news:panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com... > > I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about moving > to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do about it. > > Is there a migration tool? > > > -- > panagiotis@melo > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > panagiotis@melo's Profile: > http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8173 > View this thread: > http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=79374 > crossmerge.com ? Regards...Dan. "panagiotis@melo" <panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com> wrote in message news:panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com... > > I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about moving > to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do...

Fundamental Functions MS SQL Server 7 or 2000 users VALUE MOST
Hi all, What are the fundamentals (fundamental functions) that most small to medium sized organizations that use MS SQL Server 7 or 2000 value most? What's your insight? OK, here's my biased definition of small to medium sized organization, annual revenue from 20m to 300m. Thanks. DL daaa@rock.com (DaaaDaaa) wrote in message news:<2193afb.0406011507.37ee4f6d@posting.google.com>... > Hi all, > > What are the fundamentals (fundamental functions) that most small to > medium sized organizations that use MS SQL Server 7 or 2000 value > most? > What's your insight? > > OK, here's my biased definition of small to medium sized organization, > annual revenue from 20m to 300m. > > Thanks. > > DL http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/casestudies/default.asp Apart from that, I would guess that MSSQL is like most software - people are using it to do more or less anything and everything you can do with it. Simon > http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/casestudies/default.asp > > Apart from that, I would guess that MSSQL is like most software - > people are using it to do more or less anything and everything you can > do with it. > > Simon Thanks, Simon. Don ...

MS Sql 2000 vs. Pervasive SQL
I am using Maximizer Enterprise 8.0 as my companies CRM solution. Currently we are using the included Pervasive SQL that shipps with the product. Is there someone out that who could tell me if there are any performance benefits to switching the Pervasive Engine with a Microsoft SQL engine. Regards Jesus Chuy wrote: > I am using Maximizer Enterprise 8.0 as my companies CRM solution. Currently > we are using the included Pervasive SQL that shipps with the product. Is > there someone out that who could tell me if there are any performance > benefits to switching the Pervasive Engine with a Microsoft SQL engine. > > Regards > > Jesus > > Tell us more about your environment. How big is the database? If I had to guess, i'd say it's not that big if you're running a CRM package on it. Pervasive is a really nice SQL database, especially for the price. It's very reliable, I've seen them running for many years with no problems. For most small/medium sized businesses, Pervasive is just fine. Performance is close to if not better in some respects to MS-SQL. So, what do you need? What features do you require? It all depends..... If it works, don't fix it.....rule #1 I currenlty have about 50 users accessing the Pervasive Database. The database is really just a glorified address book with notes, so it's really not doing a lot of crunching. I do notice though that at peak usage times certain ...

SQL 7 to SQL 2000 Database Migration
Could someone help us with a problem we're having with regard to moving several databases from SQL 7 to SQL 2000 on different servers in different domains. Our current SQL 7 server resides in one domain, and holds several databases. We now want to move these to a SQL 2000 server in another domain. We're trying to use the Copy Database wizard on the SQL 2000 server (logged in as the local admin account), selecting the SQL 7 server as the source, using 'sa' account on that server. The target is the SQL 2000 server, again using 'sa' account. We're leaving everything else with regards to logins, jobs etc as default (i.e. taking everything that can be found), but when the steps execute, the last step that brings the database across fails with an error code -2147467259 - Failed to create the share OMWWIZI. Can anyone help us out with this error, or provide any suggestions as to what we can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. "LizP" <liz.porteous@scottishfriendly.co.uk> wrote in message news:8170ed5a.0311030845.d75d990@posting.google.com... > Could someone help us with a problem we're having with regard to > moving several databases from SQL 7 to SQL 2000 on different servers > in different domains. Our current SQL 7 server resides in one domain, > and holds several databases. We now want to move these to a SQL 2000 > server in another domain. > > We're trying to use the Copy Database...

linked server from sql 7 to ms access 2000 ... some tables not available
Hi, I have a linked server in sql 7 that connects to a ms access 2000 database. It has been working for a while, however lately, after we imported a large amount of new data, the database fails to query a certain (large number of records) table. I can query and get responses for every other table except the largest table. select top 5 * from linkeddatabase...table I get this error message. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForData (CheckforData()). [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation. Connection Broken I called a collegue and he suggested removing the primary key index (which was multi field), creating an autonumber field and making it the primary key, and then building a unique index on the two fields that were formerly the primary key to insure the data stayed unique. This index restructing fixed the problem. (Thanks Joe!) Justin ...

Import XML file to database (MS Server 2000) using procedure (transact sql) ???
I must import some exemplary file to database (MS Srrver 2000) ofcourse using procedure Transact SQL. This file must: 1.Read the xml file 2. Create table 3. Import this date from xml file to my database Ps. I create procedure who File xml imports to base, but unfortunately she only schedule when earlier create a table or table is created.So I need (I think) create such mini parser in language transact SQL. Does someone have some ideas? For every help Thanks ==== example file xml =========================================== <root> <Cust> <IDosoby>1</IDosoby> <Imie>Lukasz</Imie> <Nazwisko>Przypadek</Nazwisko> </Cust> <Cust> <IDosoby>2</IDosoby> <Imie>Dariusz </Imie> <Nazwisko>Mroz</Nazwisko> </Cust> <Cust> <IDosoby>3</IDosoby> <Imie>Tomasz</Imie> <Nazwisko>Kolo</Nazwisko> </Cust> </root> =========================================================== -- Luk Not sure of the exact requirement. But if you can parse the XML and then using OPENXML shred it into a new table. SELECT * INTO <MyNewTable> FROM OPENXML (@idoc, '/root/') Where @idoc is the document handle of the internal representation of an XML document. -- HTH, Vinod Kumar MCSE, DBA, MCAD, MCSD ...

MS SQL Express Advanced vs MS SQL full version vs MySQL
I'm planning to transport a desktop application to the web. A spin-off of this application has already been put on the web by another programmer. He used ColdFusion with MS SQL, Access, VC, and Java. It is faster than the desktop application (written in VFP). 1. Can I get the same results using MS SQL Express Advanced and Access for the internet version if used with .net? 2. Are the select statements limited in power, accuracy, size, etc. for MS SQL Express Advanced when compared to SQL? 3. If Access will perform poorly, can VFP be used instead with .net? I already know it can't be used with ColdFusion. 4. If MS Express Advanced will not sufficiently replace SQL, will MySQL do the job better? Thanks On Jul 22, 5:31 pm, <wipeou...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I'm planning to transport a desktop application to the web. A spin-off of > this application has already been put on the web by another programmer. He > used ColdFusion with MS SQL, Access, VC, and Java. It is faster than the > desktop application (written in VFP). > 1. Can I get the same results using MS SQL Express Advanced and Access for > the internet version if used with .net? > 2. Are the select statements limited in power, accuracy, size, etc. for MS > SQL Express Advanced when compared to SQL? > 3. If Access will perform poorly, can VFP be used instead with .net? I > already know it can't be used with ColdFusion. 4. If MS Express Advanced > will not suffic...

Problem Installing SQL 7 or SQL SERVER 2000 on Laptop
Hello Friends !! I have a strange problem, and I need to know what would be the source of this. I have a laptop computer with the following configuration: Pentium III Brand : Toshiba Speed : 500 Mhz RAM : 192 MB Hard Disk : 6 GB Space Available : 4 GB O.S. : Windows 98 The computer works pretty good and run different applications. I was trying to install MS-SQLSERVER 2000 and I checked out the software and hardware requierements for that and everything seems to be fine. The reason that I need it its because of my trips, and its incredible I have a desktop computer with almost the same configuration and runs pretty good. When you have a problem installing SQL-SERVER 2000 you have a file called cnfgsvr with all the explanation. I got this at hand so you can see better the problem: Iniciando servicio ... Conectando con el servidor ... driver={sql server};server=3110CT;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]No existe el servidor SQL Server o se ha denegado el acceso al mismo. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]ConnectionOpen (Connect()). driver={sql server};server=3110CT;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]No existe el servidor SQL Server o se ha denegado el acceso al mismo. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]ConnectionOpen (Connect()). driver={sql server};server=.;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]No existe el ...

Installing MS sql server 2000 on win 2003 server
How do I do this when my instalation cd is an old veriosn with no SP�s? Win 2003 requires MS SQL 2000 SP3 sp what do I do??? Regards Anders > When you get the prompt saying that it must be SP3 you can continue to the > end of the installation as per normal. You should then install SP3 > immediately before you do anything else. SP3a can be download from the > microsoft web site. Actually not. It says: Ms SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Ediditon server componenet is not supportet on this operating system. Only client componentes will be avaible for instalation. I juts read that before SQL server 2000 could run i would need SP3. But I get no chance of installing it. Is it because its enteprise edition? ANders > When you get the prompt saying that it must be SP3 you can continue to the > end of the installation as per normal. You should then install SP3 > immediately before you do anything else. SP3a can be download from the > microsoft web site. Ahhhh. Stupid stupid me. So embarrassed. Id used my locally cdrom drive as mountet network drive. Somehow i have manished to click on autorun menu at my local computer! Thougt the popup window was on the server. (Using VNC) Anyay thx. I'll just crawl back in my hole. Anders ...

MS SQL Server 7.0 SP4 on Windows 2003 Server.
My regards for all on this NG! My client need to use Windows 2003 Server, but it have some databases and systems that use SQLServer 7.0 I need to know if MS SQL Server 7.0 can be instaled and if will run with no problems into Windows 2003 Server. Thanks a lot!! Lucio Lucio Chiessi [VORio] (lucio@vorio.eti.br) writes: > My regards for all on this NG! > > My client need to use Windows 2003 Server, but it have some databases > and systems that use SQLServer 7.0 > I need to know if MS SQL Server 7.0 can be instaled and if will run > with no problems into Windows 2003 Server. Microsoft does not support SQL 7.0 on Windows 2003. See further http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810391. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp Thanks a lot for your response. We are upgrading to MSDE2K and working fine. Best Regards... Lucio Chiessi [VORio] (lucio@vorio.eti.br) writes: > Thanks a lot for your response. > We are upgrading to MSDE2K and working fine. Be sure to apply SP3, as this is required for Windows 2003. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp ...

Web resources about - SQL Server 7 vs 2000 question - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

The questions we asked the ASX
Last week a series of detailed questions went to the ASX, today it responded.

Arnold Schwarzenegger terminates Weekend Sunrise interview after questions on US presidential campaign ...
He's famous for saying he'll be back, but Arnold Schwarzenegger may think twice about appearing on Weekend Sunrise again.

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question teen
A South Carolina police officer was shot and killed Friday as he and a partner were trying to question a self-professed gang member who they ...

‘If I Stay Here, You’ll Make 500 Questions. I Said I Was Going To Answer One.’
Cuban Pres. Raul Castro is not used to taking questions from the press. But he agreed to today. It didn’t go well. In a joint news conference ...

Novak Djokovic questions equal prize money in tennis
World number one Novak Djokovic questions equal prize money in tennis, saying men should get more as they have more spectators.

"It’s a question every candidate for state Supreme Court is asked: Which U.S. Supreme Court justices ...
Writes the left/liberal Bill Lueders at the end of his Isthmus piece "Battle for the [Wisconsin Supreme] court/Bradley v. Kloppenburg is a classic ...

There's a huge unanswered question in the collapse of Powa Technologies — where did the money go?
It has been a month since London payment company Powa Technologies collapsed into administration and, as the dust settles, we've got some idea ...

S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen
S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen

After Salah Abdeslam's arrest, six critical questions
CNN After Salah Abdeslam's arrest, six critical questions CNN (CNN) A wave of relief swept through Brussels and the Belgian security services ...