Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL Server on another machine.

I'm Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL
Server on another machine.

Can anyone suggest some good reference material or tutorials?? So far
I'm only finding examples for a linked server to an ACCESS database.

Thanks in Advance!

gdev (paul.afamdi.okeke@gmail.com) writes:
> I'm Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL
> Server on another machine.
>
> Can anyone suggest some good reference material or tutorials?? So far
> I'm only finding examples for a linked server to an ACCESS database.

There are plenty of examples in the topic for sp_addlinkedserver.

In many cases, it is as simple as:

   exec sp_addlinkedserver THATSERVEROVERHERE
   exec sp_serverioption THATSERVEROVERTHERE, 'data access', true

Authentication does not always work though, and in this case
sp_addlinkedsrvlogin comes to the rescue.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
esquel (7068)