Tutorial; Accessing MS SQL Database using C++!

hey!

Im looking for a db tutoral which covers accessing a Microsoft SQL database
on windows. I will be using VC++ if it matters. NO details just a basic
introduction!

Oracle DB access using C++ is also of interest!

Thanks!

-- Majk

0
msa_pub (2)

majk <msa_pub@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<BB7F5CCB.6D61%msa_pub@softhome.net>...
> hey!
>
> Im looking for a db tutoral which covers accessing a Microsoft SQL database
> on windows. I will be using VC++ if it matters. NO details just a basic
> introduction!
>
> Oracle DB access using C++ is also of interest!
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Majk

Both SQL Server and Oracle can be accessed by using various data
access API's, which are implemented on top of TDS (Tabular Data
Stream) protocol in SQL Server case and TNS (Transparent Network
Substrate) in Oracle case. Based on your choice of language I believe
you should look at examples how data is accessed using ODBC API in SQL
Server case and OCI (Oracle Call Interface) API in Oracle case.
Documentation and examples can be found on Microsoft's
http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql and Oracle
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/nav/docindex.htm
Web sites. If you develop managed application for .NET Framework you
have a choice of using .NET managed providers for SQL Server and
Oracle, which are much easier to program then ODBC and OCI. Hope this
helps.

Sinisa Catic