Updating online SQL 2005 database from local database

I have my first small SQl Server 2005 database developed on my local
server and I have also its equivalent as an online database.

I wish to update the local database (using and asp.net interface) and
then to upload  the data (at least the amended data, but given the
small size all data should be no trouble) to the online database.

I think replication is the straight answer but I have no experience of
this and I am wondering what  else I might use which might be less
complicated. One solution is DTS (using SQL 2000 terms) but i am not
sure if I can set this up (1) to overwrite existing tables and (2) not
to seemingly remove identity attributes from fields set as identities.

I know there are other possibilities but I would be glad of advice as
to the likely best method for a small database updated perhaps once
weekly or at less frequent intervals,

Best wishes, John Morgan
0
jfm1 (26)

Since my first message I have investigated replication further and it
does not seem as complicated as first thought and I have successfully
carried out a snapshot replication on my local server.

the main disadvantage of replication now seems to be that my online
sql database provider charges $50 for providing a replication facility
(presumably for enabling a push subscription)

The payment is not significant providing  replication is the way to to
go for the occasional updating of an online server from my local
server.

Best wishes, John Morgan

 Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:32:40 GMT, John Morgan <jfm@XXwoodlander.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have my first small SQl Server 2005 database developed on my local
>server and I have also its equivalent as an online database.
>
>I wish to update the local database (using and asp.net interface) and
>then to upload  the data (at least the amended data, but given the
>small size all data should be no trouble) to the online database.
>
>I think replication is the straight answer but I have no experience of
>this and I am wondering what  else I might use which might be less
>complicated. One solution is DTS (using SQL 2000 terms) but i am not
>sure if I can set this up (1) to overwrite existing tables and (2) not
>to seemingly remove identity attributes from fields set as identities.
>
>I know there are other possibilities but I would be glad of advice as
>to the likely best method for a small database updated perhaps once
>weekly or at less frequent intervals,
>
>Best wishes, John Morgan

0
jfm1 (26)
1/30/2007 1:17:19 PM
Hi John,

There are different ways and tools to accomplish what you need based on what
you feel comfortable with and what fits your update schedule:

1) As you mention replication will work. However, since you are updating the
data once a week or less frequently it might not be worth the effort to set
up and maintain replication.
2) The analog to DTS in SQL Server 2005 is SSIS (SQL Server Integration
Services). A simple way to create SSIS package to transfer your data is to
start the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard (just right click your
database and select Tasks, Export Data...) and follow the steps. On the
Select Source Tables and Views screen you can click "Edit Mappings". There
you have options to drop and re-create the destination tables and to enable
identity insert. At the end you can execute immediately or save it as SSIS
package to execute later.
3) Use the Database Publishing Wizard. It is designed for deployment of
local databases to remote hosting environments. The tool has both graphical
and command line interfaces, and there is a way that you can update your
database via a Web page. Here are more details:
Database Publishing Wizard:
http://www.codeplex.com/sqlhost/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Database%20Publishing%20Wizard
Scott Guthrie guides:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/12/22/recipe-deploying-a-sql-database-to-a-remote-hosting-environment-part-1.aspx
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/01/11/tip-trick-how-to-upload-a-sql-file-to-a-hoster-and-execute-it-to-deploy-a-sql-database.aspx

Regards,

Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com

0
Plamen (618)
1/30/2007 2:15:32 PM
Thank yuou Plamen,

I am really grateful for your comprehensive reply, just what I was
hoping for. That gives me plenty to work on,

Beest wishes, John

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:15:32 GMT, "Plamen Ratchev"
<Plamen@SQLStudio.com> wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>There are different ways and tools to accomplish what you need based on what
>you feel comfortable with and what fits your update schedule:
>
>1) As you mention replication will work. However, since you are updating the
>data once a week or less frequently it might not be worth the effort to set
>up and maintain replication.
>2) The analog to DTS in SQL Server 2005 is SSIS (SQL Server Integration
>Services). A simple way to create SSIS package to transfer your data is to
>start the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard (just right click your
>database and select Tasks, Export Data...) and follow the steps. On the
>Select Source Tables and Views screen you can click "Edit Mappings". There
>you have options to drop and re-create the destination tables and to enable
>identity insert. At the end you can execute immediately or save it as SSIS
>package to execute later.
>3) Use the Database Publishing Wizard. It is designed for deployment of
>local databases to remote hosting environments. The tool has both graphical
>and command line interfaces, and there is a way that you can update your
>database via a Web page. Here are more details:
>Database Publishing Wizard:
>http://www.codeplex.com/sqlhost/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Database%20Publishing%20Wizard
>Scott Guthrie guides:
>http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/12/22/recipe-deploying-a-sql-database-to-a-remote-hosting-environment-part-1.aspx
>http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/01/11/tip-trick-how-to-upload-a-sql-file-to-a-hoster-and-execute-it-to-deploy-a-sql-database.aspx
>
>Regards,
>
>Plamen Ratchev
>http://www.SQLStudio.com

0
jfm1 (26)

Database updates (using SqlDataAdapter) during runtime but Database Table Does Not Update
I apologize if this is a simple question, but I am very new to SQL Server. I feel like I am missing something easy here. I an running VB ..NET from Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server Express. The code in question is as follows: ChosenProjectName = TextBox2.Text Dim NewProject As New DataSet OpenConn() Dim GetProjectList As String = "SELECT * FROM Approved_Projects ORDER BY Project_ID DESC" Dim GetProjectsAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter(GetProjectList, MainCon) Dim myDataSet As DataSet = New DataSet() Dim myDataRow As DataRow GetProjectsAdapter.Fill(myDataSet, ...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

Database Toolkit: Reading data from SQL database
Hello, &nbsp; I have been working on a automated test system storing data into a SQL server database.&nbsp; Once you get your head wrapped around the toolkit and walk through some of the examples it is not too bad.&nbsp; Writing to the database was very straight forward.&nbsp; I simply put all of my data including the primary keys into a cluster and inserted the cluster into the specified table.&nbsp; As I learned the hard way,&nbsp; it is very important for all of your types to match up.&nbsp; I saved double type&nbsp;from labview as decimal type&nbsp;in th...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Updating a record from Access to an SQL 2005 database
I have an access form that connects to a database on a main server. These forms stay open for a long length of time (a couple hours) and then the user finishes with them and closes the form. The problem that has been occurring is that sometimes for whatever reason the connection to the server is broken and when the sheet is closed the data is trying to commit to the database and can't. Is there a setting to commit data to the database as soon as it is entered into a field and not when the full record is closed/committed? Or is there any other way to protect myself from this lose of data? pyrahna <pltaylor3@gmail.com> wrote: >I have an access form that connects to a database on a main server. >These forms stay open for a long length of time (a couple hours) and >then the user finishes with them and closes the form. The problem >that has been occurring is that sometimes for whatever reason the >connection to the server is broken and when the sheet is closed the >data is trying to commit to the database and can't. Is there a >setting to commit data to the database as soon as it is entered into a >field and not when the full record is closed/committed? Or is there >any other way to protect myself from this lose of data? You could put the following code in behind every control on the form. if me.dirty then docmd.runcommand accmdsaverecord. thus saving the record after the user exits from each control. A bit inefficient if they ...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

How do I a smallint SQL database value using the Database tools?
I'm using the Database Toolset with Labview 7. I'm building up a parameterized Query to a Stored Procedure in my SQL Database. It doesn't appear that smallint output types are supported because zero is always loaded into the variable. Is this correct? I'm I doing something wrong? Feedback welcome... thanks! It's probibly not an issue with datatypes since LV has far more datatypes than most databases. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you getting the 0 when running the stored procedure? Could you perhaps post a bit of code (LV and SQL) that demonstrates the issue? Mike... ...

Is there a way to update a web database from an desktop Access database?
Hi, I would like to be able to take records from an Access database (most likely 2010) and update them to whatever database is being used on a web server? For instance, I would like to extract someone's calendar from an Access application and let them sign in and see what their calendar is for a certain time period. I know how to extract the data from Access, but not how to post it onto someone's website (which could be using MySQL, SQL Server). -paulw ...

UPDATE SQL Statement in Excel VBA Editor to update Access Database - ADO
Hello, I am trying to update records in my database from excel data using vba editor within excel. In order to launch a query, I use SQL langage in ADO as follwing: ------------------------------------------------------------ Dim adoConn As ADODB.Connection Dim adoRs As ADODB.Recordset Dim sConn As String Dim sSql As String Dim sOutput As String sConn = "DSN=MS Access Database;" & _ "DBQ=MyDatabasePath;" & _ "DefaultDir=MyPathDirectory;" & _ "DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;" & _ "PWD=xxxxxx;UID=admin;" ID, A, B C.. are my table fields sSql = "SELECT ID, `A`, B, `C being a date`, D, E, `F`, `H`, I, J, `K`, L" & _ " FROM MyTblName" & _ " WHERE (`A`='MyA')" & _ " AND (`C`>{ts '" & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss") & "'})" & _ " ORDER BY `C` DESC" Set adoConn = New ADODB.Connection adoConn.Open sConn Set adoRs = New ADODB.Recordset adoRs.Open Source:=sSql, _ ActiveConnection:=adoConn adoRs.MoveFirst Sheets("Sheet1").Range("a2").CopyFromRecordset adoRs Set adoRs = Nothing Set adoConn = Nothing --------------------------------------------------------------- Does Anyone know How I can use the UPDATE, DELETE INSERT SQL statem...

How to keep update one Mysql database with another MySQL database?
I have two Mysql databases. One is the master and the other is slave. I need to keep update with slave database to keep some tables the same as master database. The first idea in my mind is to write a php script to read datas from these tables and write into slave database. But I still think it is a little complex to judge which code I need to write into slave databse. So, any good idea to do this job? Any tool I can use? -- Water Lin http://blog.waterlin.org Water Lin wrote: > I have two Mysql databases. One is the master and the other is slave. > > I need to keep update wi...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

update oracle database when ever changes are made in access database
Hi all, well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous process either changes made or not so what should i do. "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > Hi all, > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > process either changes made or not so what should i do. Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. Jim "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily@attbi.net> wrote in message news:<A3GNc.174982$IQ4.4937@attbi_s02>... > "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message > news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > > Hi all, > > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > > process either changes made or not so what should i do. > Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. > Jim but the problem is that the actual application that we are enhancing is using access and ...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

OT: How Can I Copy Database Content to Another SQL Database?
Hey guys, I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How can I find out who is logged into the database? Would it be easier to write a SQL script? Thanks! alvinstraight38@hotmail.com (alvinstraight38@hotmail.com) writes: > I am looking for a simple method that would allow me to complete the > complete contents of one SQL database into another SQL database. I > have a test data with the exact same table structure as my Live > database. I want the test to be a mirror copy of the Live. > > I thought I might just delete my test database, and then restore the > Live backup as my test database. Unfortunately I hit a briak wall > because it tells me that users are logged into the test database. How > can I find out who is logged into the database? You can run sp_who or sp_who2 and look in the database column. Mostly, you are the one yourself who is active in the database. You cannot run restore command from a query window which has that database as the current database. If you don't care wh...

Database Links for replication between databases
Hello, Until now we do not want to use Database Links for security reasons. But an application needs to access informations that are on two separate DB. As we can not use an asynchrone mecanism (night job of export/import for example) the application provider would like to use Database Links. When a change occurs on the remote DB, a trigger then retrieve new informations into a dedicated table on the local DB. Question : is it an other way to do that ? Regards. ...

Extracting a Database to a seperate Database
Is it possible to extract part of a database and create it in a seperate database? I have a large database and would like to take about 10 screens out and put them into a seperate file? Is there a quick and easy way of doing this or must I delete and re-create the new database? Falcon in article Pnh1c.8696$Db4.1479@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, Falcon at ernie-no-spam-faulkner@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 3/3/04 4:18 AM: > Is it possible to extract part of a database and create it in a seperate > database? > > I have a large database and would like to take about 10 screens out...

database control for several database
How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? On Oct 25, 11:09 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? > > yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? Are you talking about this: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b40002/structure.htm#sthref90 jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Single women come home, look in the refrigerator, then go to bed. Married women come home, look in the bedroom, then go to the refrigerator." - heard on radio. ...

Web resources about - Updating online SQL 2005 database from local database - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Wikipedia:Updating information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia editing guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Facebook Updating Software Development Kit For Apple IOS 6 To Reflect Integration
With Facebook integration officially coming to Apple’s iOS 6 mobile operating system for its iPhone and iPad tablet, what new features are in ...

Updating how Cost per Click is Measured on Facebook
To help advertisers better understand how their ads perform, we're updating the definition of cost per click on Facebook. Learn what the change ...

Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know
Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Page Updating
... who want to more easily update their Facebook Pages on the go: Facebook for iPhone 3.0 , which should be released soon, will include Page updating, ...

Updating trends on mobile
Trends are a great way to find out what people are talking about on Twitter at a given moment and at a single glance. Starting today, we’re making ...

Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store on iTunes
Get Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 Updating #2 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore berrytokyo's photos on Flickr. berrytokyo has uploaded 126 photos to Flickr.

LOOT v0.7.0 for Mod Organizer: Updating and Installation - YouTube
A new version of LOOT (Load Order Optimisation Tool) has been released with some major upgrades. This video tutorial shows how to upgrade and ...

Updating Emma: Jane Austen's classic joins list of literary reworks
Jane Austen published six novels. Just six. She died before she completed the seventh.