Updating SQL Server Database from Access

I'm taking over an SQL Server
database which is often updated
with data from an Access database.

Knowing little about either, this
simple task has become a challenge.

I'm told that the previous person
used to type some simple SQL
commands and this would update
the SQL server database but the
commands have been lost and the
previous person is unavailable.

The Access database has exactly
the same column names as the SQL-server database
and it is something simple
like:
Control ID  Phone Name Address1 Address2

Does anyone know the SQL commands
to do this kind of SQL server database update from the
above mentioned Access database?

The previous person left an app which connects
the two databases and leaves a place
where the SQL commands are to be typed.

Thanks
TAK

0
Tak (36)

Takuon Soho wrote:
> I'm taking over an SQL Server
> database which is often updated
> with data from an Access database.
>
> Knowing little about either, this
> simple task has become a challenge.
>
> I'm told that the previous person
> used to type some simple SQL
> commands and this would update
> the SQL server database but the
> commands have been lost and the
> previous person is unavailable.
>
> The Access database has exactly
> the same column names as the SQL-server database
> and it is something simple
> like:
> Control ID  Phone Name Address1 Address2
>
> Does anyone know the SQL commands
> to do this kind of SQL server database update from the
> above mentioned Access database?
>
> The previous person left an app which connects
> the two databases and leaves a place
> where the SQL commands are to be typed.
>
> Thanks
> TAK

My reaction is to familiarise yourself with the DTS (Data
Transformation Services) functionality.  I do imports from Access to
SQL Server regularly.  It's really simple to set up, but depending on
what you need to do there may be some fiddling about, and you could
struggle a little if you need to write SQL (unless you are familiar
with it!)

Edward

0
teddysnips (320)
5/19/2005 3:11:57 PM
Thanks, yes that DTS tool looks very powerful.

However, my predecessor used SQL and
that is how I shall do it.

Can you show an example SQL statement(s) which updates
all an SQL-server database with all the rows from an Access database?

Thanks Again
Tak

<teddysnips@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Takuon Soho wrote:
>> I'm taking over an SQL Server
>> database which is often updated
>> with data from an Access database.
>>
>> Knowing little about either, this
>> simple task has become a challenge.
>>
>> I'm told that the previous person
>> used to type some simple SQL
>> commands and this would update
>> the SQL server database but the
>> commands have been lost and the
>> previous person is unavailable.
>>
>> The Access database has exactly
>> the same column names as the SQL-server database
>> and it is something simple
>> like:
>> Control ID  Phone Name Address1 Address2
>>
>> Does anyone know the SQL commands
>> to do this kind of SQL server database update from the
>> above mentioned Access database?
>>
>> The previous person left an app which connects
>> the two databases and leaves a place
>> where the SQL commands are to be typed.
>>
>> Thanks
>> TAK
>
> My reaction is to familiarise yourself with the DTS (Data
> Transformation Services) functionality.  I do imports from Access to
> SQL Server regularly.  It's really simple to set up, but depending on
> what you need to do there may be some fiddling about, and you could
> struggle a little if you need to write SQL (unless you are familiar
> with it!)
>
> Edward

0
Tak (36)

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

export sqlserver database to ms-access by sql script
Hi Is there anyway to export a sqlserver database to ms-access through a sql scipt only without using the sql enterprise manager. -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-general/200601/1 ...

UPDATE SQL Statement in Excel VBA Editor to update Access Database - ADO
Hello, I am trying to update records in my database from excel data using vba editor within excel. In order to launch a query, I use SQL langage in ADO as follwing: ------------------------------------------------------------ Dim adoConn As ADODB.Connection Dim adoRs As ADODB.Recordset Dim sConn As String Dim sSql As String Dim sOutput As String sConn = "DSN=MS Access Database;" & _ "DBQ=MyDatabasePath;" & _ "DefaultDir=MyPathDirectory;" & _ "DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;" & _ "PWD=xxxxxx;UID=admin;" ID, A, B C.. are my table fields sSql = "SELECT ID, `A`, B, `C being a date`, D, E, `F`, `H`, I, J, `K`, L" & _ " FROM MyTblName" & _ " WHERE (`A`='MyA')" & _ " AND (`C`>{ts '" & Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss") & "'})" & _ " ORDER BY `C` DESC" Set adoConn = New ADODB.Connection adoConn.Open sConn Set adoRs = New ADODB.Recordset adoRs.Open Source:=sSql, _ ActiveConnection:=adoConn adoRs.MoveFirst Sheets("Sheet1").Range("a2").CopyFromRecordset adoRs Set adoRs = Nothing Set adoConn = Nothing --------------------------------------------------------------- Does Anyone know How I can use the UPDATE, DELETE INSERT SQL statem...

[...]

how do you update a java.sql.date type in an ms access database
when i update a row in an access database the date field does not update to the correct date it brings up some funny date which i dont know where it comes from. Below is the method i use to update. maybe the date types are not compatable? thanks in advance, public static void bookIN(int custID, int rNumber,java.sql.Date bkInDate ){ try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); String filename = "hotelDB.mdb"; String database = "jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ="; database+= filename.trim() + ";DriverID=22;READONLY=true}"; Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection( database ,"",""); int yes = 1; Statement s = con.createStatement(); s.executeUpdate("update Rooms set CustomerId ="+custID+",BookINDate ="+ bkInDate +",Occupied = "+yes+" where RoomNo = "+rNumber+" "); s.close(); con.close(); } catch (Exception err) { System.out.println("ERROR: " + err); } } "chose" wrote... > when i update a row in an access database the date field > does not update to the correct date it brings up some > funny date which i dont know where it comes from. It comes from db's attempt to parse an invalid date-string... In Access/Jet,...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

[...]

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Trouble updating database with subforms (SQL SERVER 2000 backend and Access 2002 Front End)
Hi all I have a main form looking at a main table, with a subform looking at a detail table, linked by a key. There are many entries in the sub form bound to the single entry on the main form. In the subform I have 3 fields bound to the relevant bits of their table i.e. A,B and C. I use the after update events on A and B to multiply A*B and put the answer into C, which obviously writes to the dable and displays in the subform. Simple enough and works fine. at the end of the routine that writes C in to the box, I call a subroutine on the main form using.... Call Forms.frm_call_outs_view.calculate_callout_grand_total this runs a routine on the main form that uses ADO to connect to the subforms table (using the same key as the form subform) and sum all the 'c' boxes i.e. generating the total for all the values of C belonging to the particular main detail This works fine other than the ADO always seems to be 1 step behind. Its as though the ADO is running and executing BEFORE box 'c' has been written to the database. Basically if I change a value in box A or B, and leave the box, C is updated and the grand total routine executes, but if I watch it, the ADO brings back the last value of 'C', not the newly calculated one. Its as though it hasnt had time to write the new value of C to the database So I guess what I am asking is how can I tell that box c within the subform has been written to the table before executing the ADO code on the main form? I...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

MS SQL Server databases
Hi, I am looking for a tool to create MS SQL Server databases. Who can help me? Valentine Download BOL, it's free and it will show you how to create SQL databases. If you don't have SQL you can buy the developer edition for $50 http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp HTH Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! ...

ms-access database cannot be updated
I have a ms-access application. The front end is ms-access and the backend is SQL Server. Originallly it worked well on windows 2000 machine. After the machine is re-imaged to windows xp machine. The application cannot be updated. All the textbox or dropdownlist become readonly. There are no particular error message. The screen is just freeze when you are trying to do update. Can someone help with this issue? Thanks! ...

Problems with MOD-Function by accessing MS-Access Database via SQL in Delphi
Hello, the following problem: I use Delphi 6 to access a MS Access Database. In short, the Delphi Code looks like this: ADOConnection1.Open; ADOQuery1.Close; ADOQuery1.SQL.Text :=3D 'SELECT * FROM database1 WHERE value1=3D1 AND value2=3D ' + inttostr(array[3]); ADOQuery1.Open; Label5.Caption:=3DADOQuery1.Fiel=ADdByName('value4').AsString; Now I only want to select these rows, where the Integer value3 ends on 1=2E So I need the Modulo-Function. I found in the Internet these two functions: MOD(x,y) und x % y But I get an error if I want to use one. For example, If I change ADOQuery1.SQL.Text :=3D 'SELECT * FROM database1 WHERE value1=3D1 AND value2=3D ' + inttostr(array[3])+' AND MOD(value3,10) =3D 1; Delphi shows me a Syntax Error in this statement. Thx for help! Sorry, there is a ' missing in the code. But it has nothin to do with the problem: The first code runs perfectly, but If I insert AND MOD(20,10) = 0 there is the syntax error again. On 23 Aug 2005 11:51:15 -0700, sarah18web wrote: > Sorry, there is a ' missing in the code. But it has nothin to do with > the problem: > > The first code runs perfectly, but If I insert > AND MOD(20,10) = 0 there is the syntax error again. Don't know what it might have to do with Delphi; but MOD() is not a function supported by SQL server. Only the % operator works. ...

Web resources about - Updating SQL Server Database from Access - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Wikipedia:Updating information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia editing guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Facebook Updating Software Development Kit For Apple IOS 6 To Reflect Integration
With Facebook integration officially coming to Apple’s iOS 6 mobile operating system for its iPhone and iPad tablet, what new features are in ...

Updating how Cost per Click is Measured on Facebook
To help advertisers better understand how their ads perform, we're updating the definition of cost per click on Facebook. Learn what the change ...

Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know
Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Page Updating
... who want to more easily update their Facebook Pages on the go: Facebook for iPhone 3.0 , which should be released soon, will include Page updating, ...

Updating trends on mobile
Trends are a great way to find out what people are talking about on Twitter at a given moment and at a single glance. Starting today, we’re making ...

Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store on iTunes
Get Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 Updating #2 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore berrytokyo's photos on Flickr. berrytokyo has uploaded 126 photos to Flickr.

LOOT v0.7.0 for Mod Organizer: Updating and Installation - YouTube
A new version of LOOT (Load Order Optimisation Tool) has been released with some major upgrades. This video tutorial shows how to upgrade and ...

Updating Emma: Jane Austen's classic joins list of literary reworks
Jane Austen published six novels. Just six. She died before she completed the seventh.