Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000

Hi Everyone,

Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I
will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to
install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all.  When I
tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a
message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess.

We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM
work with these okay?  Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise
Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or
anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000
Enterprise Manager.

Thanks for any suggestions.  I'm always leery when using cross-versions
of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they
do squirly things that often break stuff.

Thanks --

Alex

0
samalex (151)

Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes:
> We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM
> work with these okay?  Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise
> Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or
> anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000
> Enterprise Manager.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.  I'm always leery when using cross-versions
> of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they
> do squirly things that often break stuff.

There isn't any Enterprise Manager in SQL 2005. Instead there is
SQL Server Management Studio which gathers most of the functionality in
Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer.

To edit DTS packages on SQL 2000 with Mgmt Studio, you will need a web
download. (You will get an error message telling you this.) I would not
expect Mgmt Studio to make incompatible changes to DTS packages on SQL 2000,
but I'm not into DTS myself, so I don't know. (I don't even have that
web download installed.)

In SQL 2005 DTS has been replaced by SQL Server Integration Services. To
work with SSIS packages you use Business Intelligence Development Studio,
which really is Visual Studio under a different name.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
esquel (7068)