VB6/SQL Server application runs locally, but not from server

I have a VB6 SP6 MDAC 2.8 application talking to SQL Server 2000.  Once I've
installed this application on my local machine I have been able to move the
..exe file to a file server and it runs just fine from there for all my local
users.  This is very handy for updating the application without having to
reinstall it on each user's machine each time.  They just use a shortcut
pointing to the file server .exe file

My problem has become that we have some users at remote locations that VPN
into our network who also want to use this application.  When it's installed
locally on their machines, or even on file servers at their locations,
everything works fine.  However, when they run the .exe off of my file
server the SQL Server connections times out on the initial connection open
after the default 30 seconds every time.  Run from their own desktops or
file servers it connects within 2 seconds every time.  This is on both
Windows 2000 and XP Pro machines.  Even when I tell the shortcut to use
their local drive for the working directory the same problem happens.

This goes against everything I've seen with server-based files for 15 years.
Once a file is loaded in the computer for execution, why does it matter
where it came from?  What "baggage" can an .exe file carry with it that will
cause it to not execute when hosted on one server, but run just fine from
the desktop or another, closer server?  The only known difference is that
the connection speed is much better when I run it locally here to that file
server.

Help.

0
david8821 (32)

David C. Barber (david@NOSPAMdbarber.com) writes:
> My problem has become that we have some users at remote locations that
> VPN into our network who also want to use this application.  When it's
> installed locally on their machines, or even on file servers at their
> locations, everything works fine.  However, when they run the .exe off
> of my file server the SQL Server connections times out on the initial
> connection open after the default 30 seconds every time.  Run from their
> own desktops or file servers it connects within 2 seconds every time.
> This is on both Windows 2000 and XP Pro machines.  Even when I tell the
> shortcut to use their local drive for the working directory the same
> problem happens.

Sounds indeed very strange, and I suspect that is is not really SQL
Server problem. But I don't really have a clue.

The one thing I can think off is that loading of the EXE across the
write uses up the network bandwidth. But for 30 seconds? I don't really
believe in that myself.

What does your connection string look like?

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
esquel (7068)
6/20/2005 10:06:46 PM
"David C. Barber" <david@NOSPAMdbarber.com> wrote in message
>I have a VB6 SP6 MDAC 2.8 application talking to SQL Server 2000.  Once
>I've
> installed this application on my local machine I have been able to move
> the
> .exe file to a file server and it runs just fine from there for all my
> local
> users.  This is very handy for updating the application without having to
> reinstall it on each user's machine each time.  They just use a shortcut
> pointing to the file server .exe file
>
> My problem has become that we have some users at remote locations that VPN
> into our network who also want to use this application.  When it's
> installed
> locally on their machines, or even on file servers at their locations,
> everything works fine.  However, when they run the .exe off of my file
> server the SQL Server connections times out on the initial connection open
> after the default 30 seconds every time.  Run from their own desktops or
> file servers it connects within 2 seconds every time.  This is on both
> Windows 2000 and XP Pro machines.  Even when I tell the shortcut to use
> their local drive for the working directory the same problem happens.
>
> This goes against everything I've seen with server-based files for 15
> years.
> Once a file is loaded in the computer for execution, why does it matter
> where it came from?  What "baggage" can an .exe file carry with it that
> will
> cause it to not execute when hosted on one server, but run just fine from
> the desktop or another, closer server?  The only known difference is that
> the connection speed is much better when I run it locally here to that
> file
> server.
>
> Help.

Just a guess ... could it be an authentication problem? Do you specify the
username and account to use explicitly in the application or do you rely on
windows authentication. If you are using windows authentication then as a
test try explicitly using a username and password and see if that helps. If
that works then I'm not sure where you go from there but it may give you a
clue.

    Brian

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

0
Brian

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on same TS Server
What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on the same Terminal Server? Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues? Thanks Patrick Patrick Fisher wrote: > What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server > BE on the same Terminal Server? > > Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues? > Thanks > Patrick You either serve the Access "front end" as a terminal server published application or you just stick an Access "back end" on it in which case the server is nothing more than a file server. Which are you talking about? Certainly in the case of the latter the added load would be minimal. If you plan on installing Access on the server and running Access apps from the server then the added load would be significant as your number of users climb. -- I don't check the Email account attached to this message. Send instead to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com Hello Rick We are talking about a customer who currently runs 4 TSs with load balancing running SQL Server to about 80 users, the data is held on a 5th TS, this system is running a program called scala and works at an acceptable speed accross an ADSL VPN Against my advice they have installed our Access97 Runtime using DFS and BE on one of the TSs, this across the VPN is very slow when Scala users a logged on. They have restricted the Access Runtime to on...

Running MS Access db as a Linked Server on SQL Server
Hi, Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no one wants to touch. I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, (Location, Catalog)? Thanks a bunch. This might help; note the table about halfway down that includes the connection options for various sources. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190479.aspx Stu maxvalery@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked > server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL > Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no > one wants to touch. > > I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. > > So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link > Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection > strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider > String, (Location, Catalog)? > > Thanks a bunch. ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they do squirly things that often break stuff. Thanks -- Alex Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes: > We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM > work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise > Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or > anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 > Enterprise Manager. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions > of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they > do squirly things that often break stuff. There isn't any Enterpr...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > > The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject > line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server > site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. I would try select * from master..sysdatabases where databaseproperty(name, 'IsInRecovery') = 1 and see if that finds something. There are a couple of more properties for Databaseproperty that you should search for. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx On Jan 30, 5:30 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote: > Mark D Powell (Mark.Pow...@eds.com) writes: > > > While I was out of the office the Lan Team ...

mvBase Server application & Pervasive SQL application on Same Server
I have a project to put two different applications, in two different databases, onto a single server. I am seeking input from anyone who has attempted a similar project. One application is in mvBase 1.3.02, while the other is in Pervasive SQL. In a secondary situation, we'll have one application in mvBase 1.3.02, and another in SQL Server. Both, or all of these databases seem to grab as much free memory as they can, and not relinquish said memory back to the system resources pool. I will be closely monitoring the system wide parameters and the individual parameters of each application database, even profiling them, with a extremely lightweight, yet thorough monitoring process. Are there any good resource partiioning products out there, that do not introduce a whole bunch of significant overhead on their own, that would limit how much memory eack of these databases has access to? Operating System will be Windows 2000 Server. Appreciate any experienced input, or other general advice or suggestions, from inside, or outside "the box". Thanks! -- Regards, Scott ...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

Can Analysis Server and Report Server run on SQL Server 2000 Cluster
I have installed Analysis Server (AS) and Reporting Services (RS) on SQL Server 2000 before. Now I have been asked to install these on a failover Cluster we have. Previously I just ran the SQL Server 2000 install program off our network disk and then ran the SP4 patch to install AS. When I ran the install and chose AS there was no indication from the software that it recogned that I wanted it to install on a cluster. After it said it successfully installed the SP4 upgrade failed with a buffer overflow problem. Anyone out there know the proper procedure (url)? -- Mark D Powell -- On Aug 10, 2:57=A0pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow...@eds.com> wrote: > I have installed Analysis Server (AS) and Reporting Services (RS) on > SQL Server 2000 before. =A0Now I have been asked to install these on a > failover Cluster we have. > > Previously I just ran the SQL Server 2000 install program off our > network disk and then ran the SP4 patch to install AS. =A0When I ran the > install and chose AS there was no indication from the software that it > recogned that I wanted it to install on a cluster. =A0After it said it > successfully installed the SP4 upgrade failed with a buffer overflow > problem. > > Anyone out there know the proper procedure (url)? > > -- Mark D Powell -- I had found a document that said RS 2000 can run on a cluster but what the document had not made clear is that while the RS 2000 database can be on a cluster that RS its...

Running java client/server application in JBoss (Application Server)
Hi, Can anyone help me how to run an client/server java application in a application server like JBoss? (sorry, I don't know what is the correct term for this) The scenario: I have to connect to an ISO8583 server, and the server require me to send login, echo periodically, in other words, the session is maintained (let's call it ISOThread). I would like to have something like message-driven bean, that will receive a request, and send to this ISOThread to process the request. I can not figure it out, where should this ISOThread live ? in which container ? Better explanation: 1. A Clien...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and database engines are used by big sites such as Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc, and what are the good database structures for the hosting applications that deal with huge,complex information and large number of users. Thanks a lot, your time and help are highly appreciated. On 13 Sep 2004 18:37:35 -0700, penghao98@hotmail.com (Leon) wrote: I think there is only one instance of Jet running. You can check this using Task Manager. More than likely you don't have to worry about Yahoo et al. They take many orders of magnitude more traffic then yours. One thing for sure: they are not using an Access back-end :-) -Tom. >Hi, > I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access >database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web >applications (same content different copies) running as different >sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpress is does not allow external connections then you will need to push it (export) from the SQLExpress machine. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546 John "tlyczko" <tlyczko@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157561832.911996.148780@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this > topic?? > > I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express > locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the > tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. > > Thank you, Tom > I should have said SS 2005 Developer, not Express, I am installing SS 2005 Dev to my workstation here. But everything you said should work, I just have to learn how!!!!!!!! I will read the KB article, I suppose I could learn SSIS for just tables ...

Local SQL Service Not Starting but SQL Server is running?
Hello there, This is a bit of strange one. My local version of SQL Server fails to start when I boot yet if I start Enterprise Manager its started and working fine. ISQL or Query Analyzer is also not working. If I try and register the server by another SQL Server is not there. Me thinks that the named pipes might be a bit broken but would appreciate any advise from people. Thanks Ginters Couple of thoughts. One the service is not starting until you start EM and click on the server? By default when a server is registered in EM it sets the checkbox for automatically start. Right clic...

New IBM Laptop running SQL server cannot connect to another sql server on network
I am trying to connect a new LBM Laptop to an SQL server on the network and I get "test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider, [dbnetlib][connectionopren(connect()),] SQL server does not exist or access denied. The laptom has sql server running on it locally and I am trying to connect to an SQL server on the network. Thanks Tom Hi You should make sure that SQL Server is at Service Pack 3a on both machines and check the MDAC installation on the laptop with the MDAC component checker (see microsoft download centre)? If you can connect to the network SQL Server f...

SUN ONE APPLICATION SERVER AND SQL.SERVER
Hi, I noticed that sun1 (which comes with the J2EE SDK1.4) comes with only support for the JDBC drivers for Oracle and Pointbase. I'm trying to build an application which talks to a SQL Server. Does anyone know whether there are any JDBC drivers for SQL Server 2000 and how to set it up? Thanks in advance. SG "cg" <sgoh@pobox.com> wrote in message news:DnMJc.3290$K53.2760@news-server.bigpond.net.au... > Hi, > > I noticed that sun1 (which comes with the J2EE SDK1.4) comes with only > support for the JDBC drivers for Oracle and Pointbase. > > I'm...

File Server Database Apps and SQL Server?
Like a lot of database developers, I often choose Jet for the back- end. I'm starting to worry about what will happen when Jet is deprecated. Ostensibly, Jet users like me must switch to SQL Server (or MSDE / SQL Express), but there's something I just don't understand. Without Jet, how will we create file server database applications? In other words, how will we create multi-user apps which use a file server to share data and don't require a database server? I've seen many discussions of Access vs. SQL Server, but I've never seen this question addressed head-on. I can speculate on three possible answers, but I'm not sure which one Microsoft intends: In a Jet-less world, 1) there will be no file server database apps, only database server apps. 2) there will be file server apps implemented somehow with SQL Server. 3) there will be file server apps, but Microsoft will cede this niche to its competitors; thus, we will use neither Jet nor SQL Server, but some other product, to implement them. If anyone knows where things are going, I'd be grateful if you share your understanding. -TC TC wrote: > Like a lot of database developers, I often choose Jet for the back- > end. I'm starting to worry about what will happen when Jet is > deprecated. Ostensibly, Jet users like me must switch to SQL Server > (or MSDE / SQL Express), but there's something I just don't > understand. > > Without Jet, how will we create file s...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

A server for SQL Server
We are considering migrating our Access backend to SQL Server or something similar. I am hearing rumors that our server will have to be a really expensive, beefed-up version. Can anyone shed some light on that? Thanks, Hank Reed No, because it's bogus. You can run SQL Server on some *very* minimal equipment, but remember that you get what you pay for. Running SQL on a under-powered machine works, but you loose time as the employees wait for it to respond. Think of it as owning a high performance car (Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.) as your desktop machine. It will seem like quite a waste if the only place you have to run it (the server) is on city streets. Likewise your network is also an issue. If you network can't handle the load.... Basically, you want your server to be faster then the client PCs, however you also should remember that you also want to transfer as much processing as you can from the Access application to the SQL Server to take advantage of the reduced network load and speed of a SQL Server. As such, and if you transfer the queries to the SQL Server, the Server machine doesn't have to be anywhere as "powerful" as the client machines hooked up to it. 3 or 4 systems back seems to be a good "rule of thumb" when looking at a machine to run SQL Server. The number of transactions and users who need to access the machine can change that upwards however. Or downwards, if only a couple of people need it. On 28 Jul...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

Oracle DB to MS Sql Server DB Replication question...via Sql Server Views??
Hi, I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not allowed to configure or change the db). We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to query the Oracle database. With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the delta for subsequent replications? Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! Thanx, Doemon doemon@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look > into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: > We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not > allowed to configure or change the db). > We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to > query the Oracle database. > > With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can > we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another > Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the > delta for subsequent replications? > > Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! > I don't know the answer to the second question, nor your versions, but the first sh...

MS SQL Server databases
Hi, I am looking for a tool to create MS SQL Server databases. Who can help me? Valentine Download BOL, it's free and it will show you how to create SQL databases. If you don't have SQL you can buy the developer edition for $50 http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp HTH Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! ...

Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL Server on another machine.
I'm Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL Server on another machine. Can anyone suggest some good reference material or tutorials?? So far I'm only finding examples for a linked server to an ACCESS database. Thanks in Advance! gdev (paul.afamdi.okeke@gmail.com) writes: > I'm Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL > Server on another machine. > > Can anyone suggest some good reference material or tutorials?? So far > I'm only finding examples for a linked server to an ACCESS database. There are plenty of examples in the topic for sp_addlinkedserver. In many cases, it is as simple as: exec sp_addlinkedserver THATSERVEROVERHERE exec sp_serverioption THATSERVEROVERTHERE, 'data access', true Authentication does not always work though, and in this case sp_addlinkedsrvlogin comes to the rescue. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx ...

Web resources about - VB6/SQL Server application runs locally, but not from server - comp.databases.ms-sqlserver

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Purchase Apps Up, Refinance Apps Down in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 0.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications drop 3.3%
Higher interest rates pushed mortgage refinancing activity down further, and home buying isn't picking up the slack.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...