Backup to cloud?

I know of The Cloud but I haven't had to write code that works with the
cloud yet. Is it possible to back up a MySQL database (using the current
Windows version) to the cloud? If so, how does one write the command to
do so? I'm not sure what the syntax should look like.

If it is not possible to do a backup directly to the cloud, how could I
do it indirectly?

--
Rhino
0

On Tuesday December 13 2016 13:37, in comp.databases.mysql, "Rhino"
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

> I know of The Cloud

You write "the cloud" as if it were a single, tangable thing.
It's not. "The cloud" refers to services hosted on systems accessable through
a network; typically, Internet-accessable services, but not necessarily.

> but I haven't had to write code that works with the
> cloud yet. Is it possible to back up a MySQL database (using the current
> Windows version) to the cloud?

It is possible to back up or replicate a MySQL database through a network
connection. "The Cloud" could, in this case, be another instance of the MySQL
server, running on another system, accessable through your network. Or, it
could be an rsync, rcp or even ftp server, again running on another system
accessable through your network.

> If so, how does one write the command to
> do so? I'm not sure what the syntax should look like.

The simplest way might be to use mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy to dump the
database to a file, then rsync it to the remote system ("the cloud"). Read
the documentation on mysqldump, mysqlhotcopy, and your favourite file
transfer program (rsync, rcp, etc), for the details on this approach.

If you have access to a second MySQL server on "the cloud", then you can have
your MySQL server "replicate" databases, in real-time to the second MySQL
server. This isn't an easy thing to set up, as it needs both MySQL servers to
recognize the configuration. If this interests you, see
   http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/replication.html
for details.

> If it is not possible to do a backup directly to the cloud, how could I
> do it indirectly?

Directly: use replication
Indirectly: mysqldump and rcp (or other)

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

0
Lew
12/13/2016 7:08:38 PM
On 2016-12-13 2:08 PM, Lew Pitcher wrote:
> On Tuesday December 13 2016 13:37, in comp.databases.mysql, "Rhino"
> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I know of The Cloud
>
> You write "the cloud" as if it were a single, tangable thing.
> It's not. "The cloud" refers to services hosted on systems accessable through
> a network; typically, Internet-accessable services, but not necessarily.

Fair enough. As I tried to imply, I have only a sketchy conceptual
knowledge of "the Cloud" and even that might be an overstatement.

>> but I haven't had to write code that works with the
>> cloud yet. Is it possible to back up a MySQL database (using the current
>> Windows version) to the cloud?
>
> It is possible to back up or replicate a MySQL database through a network
> connection. "The Cloud" could, in this case, be another instance of the MySQL
> server, running on another system, accessable through your network. Or, it
> could be an rsync, rcp or even ftp server, again running on another system
> accessable through your network.
>
>> If so, how does one write the command to
>> do so? I'm not sure what the syntax should look like.
>
> The simplest way might be to use mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy to dump the
> database to a file, then rsync it to the remote system ("the cloud"). Read
> the documentation on mysqldump, mysqlhotcopy, and your favourite file
> transfer program (rsync, rcp, etc), for the details on this approach.
>
> If you have access to a second MySQL server on "the cloud", then you can have
> your MySQL server "replicate" databases, in real-time to the second MySQL
> server. This isn't an easy thing to set up, as it needs both MySQL servers to
> recognize the configuration. If this interests you, see
>    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/replication.html
> for details.
>
>> If it is not possible to do a backup directly to the cloud, how could I
>> do it indirectly?
>
> Directly: use replication
> Indirectly: mysqldump and rcp (or other)
>

> HTH

It does indeed! Now I know where to look so that I can choose the best
option for my circumstances. :-) Thank you!

--
Rhino
0
On 12/14/2016 05:08 AM, Rhino wrote:
> On 2016-12-13 2:08 PM, Lew Pitcher wrote:
>> On Tuesday December 13 2016 13:37, in comp.databases.mysql, "Rhino"
>> <no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I know of The Cloud
>>
>> You write "the cloud" as if it were a single, tangable thing.
>> It's not. "The cloud" refers to services hosted on systems accessable
>> through
>> a network; typically, Internet-accessable services, but not necessarily.
>>
> Fair enough. As I tried to imply, I have only a sketchy conceptual
> knowledge of "the Cloud" and even that might be an overstatement.

"the Cloud" ain't usually anything else than "public" services running
on a virtual machine. Just think of it as a normal server and the
mystery cloud should disappear.

--

 //Aho

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:37:41 -0500, Rhino wrote:
> I know of The Cloud but I haven't had to write code that works with the
> cloud yet. Is it possible to back up a MySQL database (using the current
> Windows version) to the cloud? If so, how does one write the command to
> do so? I'm not sure what the syntax should look like.
>
> If it is not possible to do a backup directly to the cloud, how could I
> do it indirectly?

This is possibly the best trolling post I've seen this year. And it's
December 15th in an election year.

(In the long odds that it's a serious post, the whole benefit for this
is that you're putting your backup someplace else than just your own
computer. So however you do that, even to the point of putting the
backup on a USB stick that you leave at Mom's house once a week and take
home the one you made two weeks ago, is good enough.)

--
2. My ventilation ducts will be too small to crawl through.
Peter
On 12/15/2016 2:56 PM, Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:37:41 -0500, Rhino wrote:
>> I know of The Cloud but I haven't had to write code that works with the
>> cloud yet. Is it possible to back up a MySQL database (using the current
>> Windows version) to the cloud? If so, how does one write the command to
>> do so? I'm not sure what the syntax should look like.
>>
>> If it is not possible to do a backup directly to the cloud, how could I
>> do it indirectly?
>
> This is possibly the best trolling post I've seen this year. And it's
> December 15th in an election year.
>
> (In the long odds that it's a serious post, the whole benefit for this
> is that you're putting your backup someplace else than just your own
> computer. So however you do that, even to the point of putting the
> backup on a USB stick that you leave at Mom's house once a week and take
> home the one you made two weeks ago, is good enough.)

Actually, I don't think backing up to the cloud is all that bad of an
idea.  Responsible cloud backup services provide the option to encrypt
the data such that even they cannot get to it.  And the advantage of a
cloud backup over a USB stick is the cloud backup is available all of
the time - not just when you're at your Mom's house.  Additionally,
multiple (trusted) people can have access to it for when the main DBA
isn't available.

I've got a few encrypted backups on dropbox right now, plan on going
another way; probaby buying a bunch of extra disk space on my out of
state server and mash it up thataway.
--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
On 12/15/2016 2:56 PM, Peter H. Coffin wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:37:41 -0500, Rhino wrote:
>> I know of The Cloud but I haven't had to write code that works with the
>> cloud yet. Is it possible to back up a MySQL database (using the current
>> Windows version) to the cloud? If so, how does one write the command to
>> do so? I'm not sure what the syntax should look like.
>>
>> If it is not possible to do a backup directly to the cloud, how could I
>> do it indirectly?
>
> This is possibly the best trolling post I've seen this year. And it's
> December 15th in an election year.
>
> (In the long odds that it's a serious post, the whole benefit for this
> is that you're putting your backup someplace else than just your own
> computer. So however you do that, even to the point of putting the
> backup on a USB stick that you leave at Mom's house once a week and take
> home the one you made two weeks ago, is good enough.)

I actually think a cloud backup is not a bad idea.  It's off-site,
available anywhere you have a computer and an internet connection and
(trusted) others can access it if you're unavailable.  I have a few
encrypted files on DropBox, but am thinking of backing up everything
the cloud.

--