cannot move the mysql database to a new server

Dear all,

I just reinstall the redhat 8. For convienience, I just copy all the data
files from the old mysql server to the new one. Ao I give the same
priviledge to it, .i.e. chown mysql.mysql and chmod 660, in order to give
corresponding read/write authority. Also we give priviledge to the user in
the mysql database. Anyway, when deleting some data from a table of the
database, following error is given as

ERROR 1036 : Table 'XXX' is read only.

Simon

0
simon5316 (15)
3/15/2006 7:11:58 AM
comp.databases.mysql 6944 articles. 1 followers. laredotornado (869) is leader. Post Follow

Simon Lee wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I just reinstall the redhat 8. For convienience, I just copy all the data
> files from the old mysql server to the new one. Ao I give the same
> priviledge to it, .i.e. chown mysql.mysql and chmod 660, in order to give
> corresponding read/write authority. Also we give priviledge to the user in
> the mysql database. Anyway, when deleting some data from a table of the
> database, following error is given as
>
> ERROR 1036 : Table 'XXX' is read only.
>
> Simon

You should always backup and restore the database with the mysql
functions!  Then you won't run into this (and other) problems.

Looks like you copied the files while the server (either old or new) was
running.  Try to recopy the files while the server isn't running.  Set
your file permissions and ownership then restart the server.

If that doesn't work, I hope you have the old server still.  Because you
will need to backup the database with the MySQL utils then restore them
on the new one.

And I never understood why people think they can just copy data files
for a relational database...

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:22:48 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> And I never understood why people think they can just copy data files
> for a relational database...

'Cause that's how they made backups with Excel databases! And it always
worked then! MySQL must be broken.

--
44. I will only employ bounty hunters who work for money. Those who work for
    the pleasure of the hunt tend to do dumb things like even the odds to give