f



Changing Database Files Path

Hi all!

Well, trying to put together a LAMP server based on Raspbian 8 and for
some reason, when I go to move the database files over to my evternal
1TB USB drive, I get a message saying that mysql is unable to start --
even though the permissions have not stayed the same and the value in
the datadair setting is correct.  I had this working once before without
any issues, but not I am at a big loss as to where I could be going
wrong with this install.

So, I am turning to this message area for help and assistance and
guidance into the right direction so that I can get the databases
working on a larger, faster drive than the 32GB SD card I boot from.

Thank you,
Robert
0
robert
11/21/2016 2:51:15 AM
comp.databases.mysql 6944 articles. 1 followers. laredotornado (869) is leader. Post Follow

7 Replies
314 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

On 11/20/2016 9:51 PM, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> Hi all!
> 
> Well, trying to put together a LAMP server based on Raspbian 8 and for
> some reason, when I go to move the database files over to my evternal
> 1TB USB drive, I get a message saying that mysql is unable to start --
> even though the permissions have not stayed the same and the value in
> the datadair setting is correct.  I had this working once before without
> any issues, but not I am at a big loss as to where I could be going
> wrong with this install.
> 
> So, I am turning to this message area for help and assistance and
> guidance into the right direction so that I can get the databases
> working on a larger, faster drive than the 32GB SD card I boot from.
> 
> Thank you,
> Robert
> 

Sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop, and you never indicated what you
did to try to move your databases or what your error message(s)
was/were.  So I have no idea what your problem might be.

And BTW - this is usenet, not a "message area".

-- 
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================
0
Jerry
11/21/2016 3:31:29 AM
Robert Wolfe wrote:

> Well, trying to put together a LAMP server based on Raspbian 8 and for
> some reason, when I go to move the database files over to my evternal
> 1TB USB drive, I get a message saying that mysql is unable to start --
> even though the permissions have not stayed the same and the value in
> the datadair setting is correct. 

You can not just copy or move MySQL database files, you have to create and 
import a database dump to maintain data integrity.  This has been discussed 
here *very* often before.

-- 
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Please do not cc me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
0
Thomas
11/21/2016 4:03:10 AM
On 21/11/16 04:03, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Robert Wolfe wrote:
>
>> Well, trying to put together a LAMP server based on Raspbian 8 and for
>> some reason, when I go to move the database files over to my evternal
>> 1TB USB drive, I get a message saying that mysql is unable to start --
>> even though the permissions have not stayed the same and the value in
>> the datadair setting is correct.
>
> You can not just copy or move MySQL database files, you have to create and
> import a database dump to maintain data integrity.  This has been discussed
> here *very* often before.
>
Odd. I have done it often with ISAM files.

-- 
"The great thing about Glasgow is that if there's a nuclear attack it'll 
look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
0
The
11/21/2016 7:40:26 AM
On 21.11.2016 05:03, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Robert Wolfe wrote:
> 
>> Well, trying to put together a LAMP server based on Raspbian 8 and for
>> some reason, when I go to move the database files over to my evternal
>> 1TB USB drive, I get a message saying that mysql is unable to start --
>> even though the permissions have not stayed the same and the value in
>> the datadair setting is correct. 
> 
> You can not just copy or move MySQL database files, you have to create and 
> import a database dump to maintain data integrity.

Nonsense. Nuhr!

Of course you can move the data directory. The server must be stopped
beforehand and you must change the configuration accordingly.
0
Axel
11/21/2016 9:18:34 PM
On 21.11.2016 03:51, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> ... when I go to move the database files over to my evternal
> 1TB USB drive, I get a message saying that mysql is unable to start

Then why don't you show the error message you got and possible any error
message that might be in the MySQL error log? It would also help a lot if
you you could be more specific which files you moved and what you changed in
the MySQL configuration file.

Unless there was any non-default configuration in use before, it would be
enough to change the datadir variable in my.cnf and move the complete(!)
datadir to the new location.
0
Axel
11/21/2016 9:22:24 PM
Axel Schwenke wrote:

> On 21.11.2016 05:03, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Robert Wolfe wrote:
>>> Well, trying to put together a LAMP server based on Raspbian 8 and for
>>> some reason, when I go to move the database files over to my evternal
>>> 1TB USB drive, I get a message saying that mysql is unable to start --
>>> even though the permissions have not stayed the same and the value in
>>> the datadair setting is correct.
>> 
>> You can not just copy or move MySQL database files, you have to create
>> and import a database dump to maintain data integrity.
> 
> Nonsense. Nuhr!
> 
> Of course you can move the data directory.

I did not make a claim to the contrary.

> The server must be stopped beforehand and you must change the
> configuration accordingly.

ACK.

-- 
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2
Please do not cc me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
0
Thomas
11/21/2016 10:38:13 PM
On 11/21/2016 5:38 PM, Thomas 'Pointed Head' Lahn wrote:
> Axel Schwenke wrote:
> 
>> On 21.11.2016 05:03, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> Robert Wolfe wrote:
>>>> Well, trying to put together a LAMP server based on Raspbian 8 and for
>>>> some reason, when I go to move the database files over to my evternal
>>>> 1TB USB drive, I get a message saying that mysql is unable to start --
>>>> even though the permissions have not stayed the same and the value in
>>>> the datadair setting is correct.
>>>
>>> You can not just copy or move MySQL database files, you have to create
>>> and import a database dump to maintain data integrity.
>>
>> Nonsense. Nuhr!
>>
>> Of course you can move the data directory.
> 
> I did not make a claim to the contrary.
>

Bullshit.  You can't even read your own updates.

>> The server must be stopped beforehand and you must change the
>> configuration accordingly.
> 
> ACK.
> 

Which has nothing to do with your comment.

But it does take someone with a modicum of intelligence to move the
database directory.  After all, you have to both move the files to the
new directory and change the path in them  MySQL configuration file.

Something that has been repeatedly beyond your ability to comprehend.
That's not unusual for a troll called "Pointed Head" who is well-known
in multiple newsgroups.

-- 
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================
0
Jerry
11/22/2016 2:10:42 AM
Reply: