How long are TINYTEXT, TEXT, and MEDIUMTEXT variables?

Hi,

I need to have I column in a table where i will store text whose
maximal length is 1024 characters. Which type I have to set for this
column? How long are TINYTEXT, TEXT, and MEDIUMTEXT variables? Dos the
answer on the last question system dependent? What is
"max_sort_length" and how can I know the value of this variable?

Thank you!
comp.databases.mysql 6944 articles. 1 followers. laredotornado (869) is leader. Post Follow

Tinytext is 255 max characters
Text is 65,535 max characters
MediumText is 16,777,215 max characters

So you would use TEXT since it is more than tiny and adequate for your
needs.

The default value of max_sort_length is 1024. This value can be
changed using the --max_sort_length= N option when starting the mysqld
server.
3
Kevin
12/14/2007 6:35:31 AM
On 14 Dec, 03:28, showandbesh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to have I column in a table where i will store text whose
> maximal length is 1024 characters. Which type I have to set for this
> column? How long are TINYTEXT, TEXT, and MEDIUMTEXT variables? Dos the
> answer on the last question system dependent? What is
> "max_sort_length" and how can I know the value of this variable?
>
> Thank you!

To answer questions like this in the future, you might find that
reding the manual helps:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/storage-requirements.html
-2
Captain