mysqld Can't start server: can't create PID file: Permission denied

I am kind of stuck and not sure why I can't start the mysqld sever.
Here is my logs and folder permissions.

[root@dev me]# /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /home/me/mysql/data
STOPPING server from pid file /home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid
071117 20:53:26  mysqld ended

/home/me/mysql/data/dev.err:

071117 20:53:26  mysqld started
071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to
file '/home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid' (Errcode: 13)
071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file:
Permission denied
071117 20:53:26  mysqld ended

[root@dev data]# ls -la /home/me|grep mysql
drwxrwxr-x  3 mysql mysql   4096 Nov 17 18:08 mysql

[root@dev mysql]# ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 17 20:56 data

[root@dev data]# ls -la
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 4 mysql mysql  4096 Nov 17 21:30 .
drwxrwxr-x 3 mysql mysql  4096 Nov 17 18:08 ..
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql root    792 Nov 17 21:29 dev.err
-rw-r----- 1 root  root  12288 Nov 17 20:58 .dev.err.swp
drwx------ 2 root  root   4096 Nov 17 21:28 mysql
drwx------ 2 root  root   4096 Nov 17 21:28 test

here is my /etc/my.cnf:

[client]
# password       = your_password
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
basedir="/usr"
tmpdir="/tmp"
datadir="/home/me/mysql/data"

port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

0
crybaby
11/18/2007 2:51:29 AM
comp.databases.mysql 6944 articles. 1 followers. laredotornado (869) is leader. Post Follow

== Quote from crybaby (joemystery123@gmail.com)'s article
> I am kind of stuck and not sure why I can't start the mysqld
sever.
> Here is my logs and folder permissions.
> [root@dev me]# /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /home/me/mysql/data
> STOPPING server from pid file /home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid
> 071117 20:53:26  mysqld ended
> /home/me/mysql/data/dev.err:
> 071117 20:53:26  mysqld started
> 071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to
> file '/home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid' (Errcode: 13)
> 071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file:
> Permission denied
> 071117 20:53:26  mysqld ended
> [root@dev data]# ls -la /home/me|grep mysql
> drwxrwxr-x  3 mysql mysql   4096 Nov 17 18:08 mysql
> [root@dev mysql]# ls -l
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x 2 mysql mysql 4096 Nov 17 20:56 data
> [root@dev data]# ls -la
> total 32
> drwxr-xr-x 4 mysql mysql  4096 Nov 17 21:30 .
> drwxrwxr-x 3 mysql mysql  4096 Nov 17 18:08 ..
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql root    792 Nov 17 21:29 dev.err
> -rw-r----- 1 root  root  12288 Nov 17 20:58 .dev.err.swp
> drwx------ 2 root  root   4096 Nov 17 21:28 mysql
> drwx------ 2 root  root   4096 Nov 17 21:28 test
> here is my /etc/my.cnf:
> [client]
> # password       = your_password
> port            = 3306
> socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
> [mysqld]
> basedir="/usr"
> tmpdir="/tmp"
> datadir="/home/me/mysql/data"
> port            = 3306
> socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

this is a permissions issue! make mysql user and group the owner of
mysql direcotry. start the server again and you should be fine.
--
POST BY: lark with PHP News Reader ;o)
0

> this is a permissions issue! make mysql user and group the owner of
> mysql direcotry. start the server again and you should be fine.

I have given mysql folder in /home/me rwx for both mysql user and
mysql group.

mysql folder in /home/me:
drwxrwxr-x  3 mysql mysql   4096 Nov 17 18:08 mysql

Not sure why this error message:

content of home/me/mysql/data/dev.err:

071117 20:53:26  mysqld started
071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to
file '/home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid' (Errcode: 13)
071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file:
Permission denied
071117 20:53:26  mysqld ended

Permissions look good on the folder mysql for user=mysql and
group=mysql.  I am not sure why I am keep getting this error.  Can
someone give me an insight?
0
crybaby
11/19/2007 1:51:41 PM
Does anyone know how to drop constarints from all the table of a
databse .. i am using hibernate with Mysql..evertime I run my programm
the constraints gets added

...& i need to remove them manully going to each table..to insert data
into tables quickly..

please do let me know if any one know who to drop constrains at once
from all the tables in a database?

Thanks
Ashwini

On Nov 19, 5:51 am, crybaby <joemystery...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > this is a permissions issue! makemysqluser andgroupthe owner of
> >mysqldirecotry. start the server again and you should be fine.
>
> I have givenmysqlfolder in /home/me rwx for bothmysqluser andmysqlgroup.
>
> mysqlfolder in /home/me:
> drwxrwxr-x  3mysqlmysql  4096 Nov 17 18:08mysql
>
> Not sure why this error message:
>
> content of home/me/mysql/data/dev.err:
>
> 071117 20:53:26  mysqld started
> 071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to
> file '/home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid' (Errcode: 13)
> 071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file:
> Permission denied
> 071117 20:53:26  mysqld ended
>
> Permissions look good on the foldermysqlfor user=mysqlandgroup=mysql.  I am not sure why I am keep getting this error.  Can
> someone give me an insight?

0
Bhingare
11/19/2007 6:57:39 PM
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:57:39 +0100, Bhingare, Ashwini
<ashwinibhingare@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to drop constarints....

Please don't hijack totally unrelated threads of others. It makes me
regret I even answered you.
--
Rik Wasmus
0
crybaby  <joemystery123@gmail.com> wrote:

>> this is a permissions issue! make mysql user and group the owner of
>> mysql direcotry. start the server again and you should be fine.
>
>I have given mysql folder in /home/me rwx for both mysql user and
>mysql group.
>
>mysql folder in /home/me:
>drwxrwxr-x  3 mysql mysql   4096 Nov 17 18:08 mysql
>
>Not sure why this error message:
>
>content of home/me/mysql/data/dev.err:

Now, what are the permissions on the data directory (it needs to
exist) and the dev.err file (if it exists, but it's OK if it doesn't)?

For this to work, you need (for user mysql, either by user or group
permissions):

	At least x permission on /
	At least x permission on /home
	At least x permission on /home/me
	At least x permission on /home/me/mysql
	At least wx permission on /home/me/mysql/data if you're going to
		create or delete files there.
	At least w permission on /home/me/mysql/data/dev.err if it exists
		and you're going to open it for write.

>071117 20:53:26  mysqld started
>071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to
>file '/home/me/mysql/data/dev.pid' (Errcode: 13)
>071117 20:53:26 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file:
>Permission denied
>071117 20:53:26  mysqld ended
>
>Permissions look good on the folder mysql for user=mysql and
>group=mysql.  I am not sure why I am keep getting this error.  Can
>someone give me an insight?

Now, how about the *data* directory?

0
gordonb

Can't Boot Up - Missing NTSDAPI.dll file
Hello, Someone please help me! I re-booted my computer last night after it hung up, and now it won't start up at all. I'm on Windows XP Home Media Center edition. The message I get after the windows screen is: "lsass.exe can't start...file NTSDAPI.dll missing..." After I click ok throught this message box...nothing. Just a black screen, although my wireless mouse functions fine - I can move my pointer about. Any pointers to get me started on figuring this out would be apprciated, it doesn't have to be a step by stop solution. Thanks!! Anthony Anthony wrote: > Hello, > > Someone please help me! I re-booted my computer last night after it > hung up, and now it won't start up at all. I'm on Windows XP Home > Media Center edition. The message I get after the windows screen is: > > "lsass.exe can't start...file NTSDAPI.dll missing..." > > After I click ok throught this message box...nothing. Just a black > screen, although my wireless mouse functions fine - I can move my > pointer about. > > Any pointers to get me started on figuring this out would be > apprciated, it doesn't have to be a step by stop solution. > > Thanks!! > Anthony First, search your hard drive for copies of the file. Leave the search results open, if any are found. Next, use the Start->Run menu to execute regedit and search for the same filename; note any path information connected with...

PC freezes on start up, can't restore, can't install
Help! Just to clarify what we have so far; We have a eMachines P4 2.2ghz 80gb hd 256mb ram 64mb graps. Running xp sp1 we have a multimedia keyboard On start up the pc had been flashing up a "hotkey keyboard" icon in the menu bar at the bottom of the desktop, it went away almost immediately and carried on booting up, recently it was staying there and freezing the pc, we unplugged the speakers and the games pad and it seemed to do the job, it worked ok for about 6 weeks, then the icon stayed on...freezing the pc and making the monitor black out! We could manually switch the pc off by holding the button in, rebooting and on the second time of asking the pc would boot up ok! a week ago it would freeze and not continue no matter how many time we re-booted. So what have we done about it.... I have started in safe mode and disabled ALL of the start up programs in MSCONFIG including hotkey.exe. I have tried a standard Dell KBD not multimedia and a USB mouse, after hearing they both use c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys driver! (KBD using KBDCLASS) (mouse using MOUCLASS) drivers separately, using the USB mouse forced the pc to use another driver for the mouse. Yesterday I tried to change "input lacales" in control panel, but it doesn't give me the option? So I uninstalled the KBD driver from add remove progs and control panel completely with no success either. I can't get onto Msoft web site for up to date drivers for the MM KBD we're using s...

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) LEOPARD
I got this error starting mysql from installation: sh-3.2# /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -user=mysql ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) The same goes for starting as root. I do the sh-3.2# find ~ -name mysql.sock on my home directory, find . -name mysql.sock in the /usr/local directory and, find / -name mysql.sock and don't get a response. I haven't gotten the mysqld started once from the installation. I removed the other installations. MY.CONF: [client] socket=/var/mysql/mysql.sock PHP.INI ; Default socket name for local MySQL connects. If empty, uses the built-in ; MySQL defaults. mysql.default_socket = /var/mysql/mysql.sock The entire MY.CONF [mysqld] #Path to installation directory. All paths are usually resolved relative to this. basedir=/usr/local/mysql-5.1.40-osx10.5-powerpc/bin/ #Path to the database root datadir=/usr/local/mysql-5.1.40-osx10.5-powerpc/data #Path to the temporary directory. tmpdir=/private/tmp #The size of the buffer used for index blocks. Increase this to get better index handling (for all reads and multiple writes) to as much as you can afford; 64M on a 256M machine that mainly runs MySQL is quite common. key_buffer_size=8192k #Each thread that needs to do a sort allocates a buffer of this size. sort_buffer_size=2M #If no specific storage engine/table type is defined in an SQL-Create statement the default type will be us...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000
The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer won't recognize or run off of these. Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys. See if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should be able to. If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it. You will need the base knowledge to work in this file. Jerry G. ======== labogart@juno.com (labogart) wrote in message news:<b8b70ec1.0408220100.5875b5c4@posting.google.com>... > The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with > the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from > the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer > won't recognize or run off of these. ...

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
When i try to start my mysql server, i get this error ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) I usualy start it witn /bin/mysql I use Fedora core 3 Cristi ...

squid can't start, can't bind to port
I have a CentOS 5.2 server that for several weeks has been running squid on port 9765 with no problem (only accepting requests from certain external IPs). Some time yesterday it stopped working, and attempts to start squid now say only: [root@hostname28043 squid]# service squid start Starting squid: .................... [FAILED] The last lines of the cache.log file (whose dates correspond to the last time I attempted to start squid) say: 2009/02/10 03:48:20| Starting Squid Cache version 2.6.STABLE6 for i686- redhat-li nux-gnu... 2009/02/10 03:48:20| Process ID 3306 20...

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (46)
Hi, Our hosting company is Yahoo! and we have a MySQL 4.1.6 database. phpMyAdmin 2.6.3 is installed and I can manipulate the db fine through that. However, when I try and connect through a PHP file using $db_hostname = "localhost"; $db_socket = ""; $mysql_host = $db_hostname; if (!empty($db_socket)) $mysql_host .= ":$db_socket"; $db_name = "mydb"; $db_user = "myuser"; $db_password = "mypass"; // Connect mysql_connect($mysql_host, $db_user, $db_password) or die("Can't connect to MySQL: '" . mysql_error() . "'"); I get the above error. How can I fix this? Thanks, - Dave laredotornado@zipmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Our hosting company is Yahoo! and we have a MySQL 4.1.6 database. > phpMyAdmin 2.6.3 is installed and I can manipulate the db fine through > that. However, when I try and connect through a PHP file using > > $db_hostname = "localhost"; > $db_socket = ""; > > $mysql_host = $db_hostname; > if (!empty($db_socket)) > $mysql_host .= ":$db_socket"; > $db_name = "mydb"; > $db_user = "myuser"; > $db_password = "mypass"; > > // Connect > mysql_connect($mysql_host, $db_user, $db_password) or die("Can't > connect to MySQL: '" . mysql_error() . "'"); > > I get the above error. How can I fix this? > >...

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' PDO exception
Hi Environment: some version of Slackware, Apache 2.2.x, PHP 5.1.5, MySQL 5.0.24. The issue: I'm using Zend Framework Zend_Db component (which uses PDO). We have 2 mysql socket related settings in php.ini: mysql.default_socket = /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock mysqli.default_socket = /var/run/mysql/mysql.sock On MySQL command prompt, query "SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%socket%';" returns the variable "socket" with correct (desired) value "/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock". But still, the output of phpinfo() contains the following lines in mysql and mysqli sections, respectively: MYSQL_SOCKET /tmp/mysql.sock MYSQLI_SOCKET /tmp/mysql.sock What's worse though is that PDO seems to be using the wrong "/tmp/mysql.sock" socket and every once in a while the sites mysteriously stop working and throw the following exception: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) I need a solution how to force PHP/MySQL/PDO (whatever causes this) to use the specified socket (and stop throwing exceptions). I know that there is a "unix_socket" option I can use in PDO connection string, but since I don't directly use PDO but use Zend_Db instead, this is not possible. I just need PDO to KNOW. (I don't know if the wrong MYSQL_SOCKET and MYSQLI_SOCKET lines from phpinfo() affect this in any way...?) Thank you very much. Michal Michal Stankoviansky wrote: > We have 2 m...

Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'
Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' I got this trying to install DBI and DBD for mysql from CPAN. After fumbling, a comment by somebody said "Make /tmp world writable and set the sticky bit" OK so chmod uog+t /tmp (and I did +rwx too - was that wrong?) but no dice, so knowing that mysql has set up its socket in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock and finding no obvious way to change this default, I used a soft link in /tmp ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock and now everything works right. But, have I compromised file permissions unnecessarily, or, is there a way to just use /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock without this fussing? Thanks! Allen Marshall wrote: > Seen this message? Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket > '/tmp/mysql.sock' > > I got this trying to install DBI and DBD for mysql from CPAN. After > fumbling, a comment by somebody said "Make /tmp world writable and set > the sticky bit" > > OK > so > > chmod uog+t /tmp (and I did +rwx too - was that wrong?) > > but no dice, so knowing that mysql has set up its socket in > /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock and finding no obvious way to change this > default, I used a soft link > > in /tmp > > ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock > > and now everything works right. But, have I compromised file > permissions unnecessarily, o...

Re: couldn't open pid file '/var/run/named.pid': Permission denied
- /var/run/named.pid + /var/run/named/named.pid Looks like the path was wrong On 15/11/07 5:00 PM, "Pawe� Tobi�" <ptobis@interia.pl> wrote: > Wasn't it a selinux issue? > > Regards > Pawel Tobis > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > Poznaj wschodzace gwiazdy polskiej muzyki! > Sluchaj i oceniaj >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1c66 > > -- Kal Feher Team Leader Network Services and Production Support Melbourne IT Ltd Level 2, 120 King Street Melbourne Victoria 3000 AUSTRALIA Ph: + 61 3 8624 2326 Mob: + 61 400 072 569 Website: www.MelbourneIT.com.au ...

Sql Server ODBC applet won't start can't configure problem
Hi, I am trying to add a new ODBC entry for Sql Server, XP Pro. SP2, sqlserver odbc 2.000.8xxxxxxx. All it does when I hit "Add" show the hour glass for a millisecond and then it does nothing. I also had a program that created entries in the background for its use. The program kept failing, so I checked the ODBC entries. This is where I found I could not add. I also could not configure existing ones. (the program has nothing to do with the odbc itself.) In the event viewer is the following: Event Type: Error Event Source: SQL Server ODBC driver support error Event Category: None Event ID: 0 Date: 1/26/2005 Time: 11:23:28 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComputer Description: The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SQL Server ODBC driver support error ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to load SQL Server ODBC driver resource DLL. The application cannot continue. .. I can't find anything on this. I can't install the latest MDAC because it says I am already up to date. Does anyone know how to help? Thank you. ...

Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)
Hi all, maybe this isn't a php question, but a MySQL question. If so I'm sorry for asking you guys to help me :) I know this question is asked often in NGs, but I couldn't find the answer that works for me. I've just installed my server with following: Apache2, PHP5 and MySQL 4.1.12 on Windows 2000 Server. Apache and PHP are funtioning properly (I can open a page like phpinfo() ). But now i've come upon a problem with MySQL. When i try to run a simple PHP script like: mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "password") or die (mysql_error()); I get the following error: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061) I've tried several different addresses like: localhost, 127.0.0.1, server01, 192.168.0.3 all with same result. Loopback address should work cause I configured MySQL that way. The MySQL service is started. I don't know whether it's a good way to test the MySQL server but on commandline I typed: mysql --user=user_name --password=your_password And I got mysql> commandline. Can someone please help me find the problem and/or give a better way of testing. Thanks in advance for your replies. P. Hordijk <pieter_hordijk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1117215914.314713.220490@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > > When i try to run a simple PHP script like: > mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "password") or die (mysq...

Can't cd , can't use wildcard
Hi , I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whenever I try to "cd" into some of the directories(which exist), I get an "Invalid directory". I can use to get into few of the directories(using cd) but for other it just says "Invalid directory". Moreover, I can't use any wildcard characters..(*, ? etc) at all.. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks Arun On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:13:52 GMT, Arun Goel <arun.goel@sbcglobal.net> wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc: > Hi , > > I am running Windows 2000 service pack 4.Whene...

DBI problem: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061
I know this arises from time to time, and yes, I have tried everything mentioned in the MySQL reference manual I know the server (MySQL 5.1.50) is running. All of the following work perfectly: mysql -h localhost --port=33066 -u MyUID -pMyPassword merchants2 mysql -h 127.0.0.1 --port=33066 -u MyUID -pMyPassword merchants2 mysql -h 192.168.2.8 --port=33066 -u MyUID -pMyPassword merchants2 All the above connect and let me run any SQL statement. But the following scriptlet dies on the last statement with the error: DBI connect('database=merchants2;host=localhost','rejbyers',.....

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/custcare/dbconn.inc on line 2
It's really strange. I downloaded the latest 4.0.16 RPM from mysql.com and installed it to my Fedora system, and did *not* do anything else (Actually I am completely new to mysql). I wrote a test php script to test mysql (ftp_connect('localhost', 'root');), but got the following error: Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/custcare/dbconn.inc on line 2 I ran phpBB2 installation page, got the same error. But it can connect to mysql using my computer name. Anyone can help??? On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:06:56 -0700, Neo wrote: > It's really strange. I downloaded the latest 4.0.16 RPM from mysql.com > and installed it to my Fedora system, and did *not* do anything else > (Actually I am completely new to mysql). [..] > I ran phpBB2 installation page, got the same error. But it can connect > to mysql using my computer name. Anyone can help??? ps aux | grep mysql If mysqld's not running; start it...! root@localhost root]# /etc/init.d/mysql start -- mvh/regards Joachim M�land If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -Mario Andretti "Joachim Mæland" <jm-news@profine.net> wrote in message news:pan.2004.04.12.14.33.10.969746@profine.net... > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:06:56 -0700, Neo wrote: > > > It's really strange. I downloaded the latest 4.0.16 RPM from mysql.com > > and installed...

Maple9 Can't run, can't re-install
-I installed the maple-9 on laptop without any problem. But when I run it, nothing happens. -I tried to uninstall it with start->settings->control panel->add/remove program->maple9, the "add/remove program" freeze (for long--------). All other programs still work at that time (computer is not froozen). -I tried to shut down the computer, it needs to 'end' the 'un-installation' -I tried to re-install the maple9 from the original CD, nothing happens. -With 'autorun', it runs a few seconds and nothing happens. -Tried to installed it ...

why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's of large size?
why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's of large size? entrepreneur schrieb: > why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's > of large size? A search engine cannot distinguish between files that are stored physically on a webserver and answers that are generated on the fly, like by scripts. It's a simple exercise to generate a cgi script that generates a list of some million random words, even non-stop-words. So the programmers of a search engine must apply different strategies to handle fake documents. Such strategies might be - index only the first n megabytes of a document - index only documents with a ranking higher then m. - index only documents from websites that seem to honest. Of course, the search engine engineers won't hand out their junk fighting strategies, these are business secrets. Regards, Joachim > A search engine cannot distinguish between files that are stored > physically on a webserver and answers that are generated on the > fly, like by scripts. > > It's a simple exercise to generate a cgi script > that generates a list of some million random words, > even non-stop-words. > > So the programmers of a search engine must apply > different strategies to handle fake documents. > Such strategies might be > - index only the first n megabytes of a document > -...

SQL Server Management Studio can't 'see' the 2005 engine?? But can see 2000 ?!?
Hello, I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because there is the 'sqlservr.exe' process running, and during installation there is no issues. When I open SQL Server Management Studio, I choose 'Database Engine', then my local Servername with Windows Authentication. How do I connect to the SQL 2005 instance? Thanks, Jack. Jack (jack@nospam.com.uk) writes: > I had SQL2000 server running fine on the windows 2003 box. I then > installed SQL 2005 Express. They both worked together fine. I then > uninstalled SQL 2005 Express and installed SQL 2005 Server. But when I > open SQL Server Management Studio, I can only connect to the SQL 2000 > engine. In the Object explorer, it says v8.0.2039 (which I think is SQL > 2000 Server, because I can see the existing SQL 2000 databases). > > How can I get SQL Server Management Studio to 'see' the SQL 2005 > database engine so I can create tables? I *think* its running because &...

Another 'can't get mysql server to run' post (6.0RC1)
Here is what is in place so far: 6.0RC1 mysql-4.15 I have installed mysql41-server from the ports Placed 'enable_mysql="YES"' and mysql_dbdir="/var/db/mysql" in rc.conf Run /usr/local/bin/mysql_install-db, creating a brand new mysql directory. I changed ownership of /var/db/mysql to root:wheel (and also root:mysql) I changed everything inside that to mysql:mysql. Nothing works. Not mysqld_safe --user=mysql --datadir=/var/db/mysql Not /usr/localetc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start Not /usr/local/share/mysql/mysql.server start Nothing. /var/log/messages gives me this: 051030 10:26:32 mysqld started /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: File './auden-bin.000003' not found (Errcode: 13) 051030 10:26:32 [ERROR] Could not use auden-bin for logging (error 13). Turning logging off for the whole duration of the MySQL server process. To turn it on again: fix the cause, shutdown the MySQL server and restart it. 051030 10:26:32 [ERROR] Aborting 051030 10:26:32 [Note] /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete 051030 10:26:32 mysqld ended That's right, .000003 is not in there (*.000002 is). Why would it be, it's a new installation. So what's the trick here? Ports have always been super, but as long as I can remember mysql from ports has been (for me) a pain in the ass; so much so that I have always chosen to run MySQL's binary package, which always works. I'd do that now but this is a 6.0 install and MyS...

why can't I create 'timer'
when I create a timer object as follows t = timer and I get a error message. Undefined function or variable 'timer' why can't I create 'timer'? I use matlab version 6.1 "likeforever" <likeforever@126.com> wrote in message news:13419325.1115980328942.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org... > when I create a timer object as follows > t = timer > and I get a error message. > Undefined function or variable 'timer' > why can't I create 'timer'? > I use matlab version 6.1 Because timer objects had not yet been introduc...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

CORRECTION : Can't connect to Xserver SHOULD BE Can't connect to XVNCserver

Can't Use OnCurrent Event / Can't Find Macro
I have run into a sudden problem and thought I'd see if anyone else has ran into this. Out of nowhere (sort-of) I am not able to access the OnCurrent event on a subform. I, of course, can write code for the event, but [Event Procedure] under OnCurrent does not show up on the properties of the subform, and the event does not fire. When this problem happened, it seems to have also generated an error while changing records in the Main Form. The error is "...can't find the macro ".". At least I think their related...both started at the same time. I have never used a macro in my life. When I say "sort-of" above, the only thing I can think that I may have done is this: When quickly "ALT-TAB'ing" between my form and the VB editor, I *think* I accidently deleted the words [Event Procedure] out of the said OnCurrent event. Although, I'm quite sure I have done this in the past, and was able to just re-initiate the event, and move on. Now, when I try to re-initiate the event (by clicking the "..." symbol next to the event) it brings up the EXPRESSION BUILDER! Not the Choose Builder request like it should. I have tried everything short of re-creating the form completely (compact/repair, export form - c/r - import form, ext...) Anybody ever see this? You should be able to just type in [Event Procedure] in the event slot and it will begin working. Rational Repairs wrote: >I have run into a sudden problem and thought ...

Web resources about - mysqld Can't start server: can't create PID file: Permission denied - comp.databases.mysql

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Tests Allowing Users To Start Games Instantly, Bypass Permissions Dialog
Facebook game developers Zynga , Kixeye , and Electronic Arts reached agreements with Facebook to test a new “start now” feature, that allows ...

Why is the Messenger app requesting permission to access features on my Android phone or tablet? - Facebook-Hilfebereich ...
If you install the Messenger app on your Android, your phone or tablet should let you know that the app is asking for your permission to access... ...

Permissions Reference - Facebook-Entwickler
When a user authenticates your application, by default, your app gets the ability to read only the u...

Facebook tests ‘start now’ option to allow users to begin playing games without authorizing permissions ...
Some Facebook canvas games are testing a new “start now” function to let users begin playing games immediately without the roadblock of a permissions ...

Davies McDonalds Happy Meal Project- all photos ©Sally Davies- use with permission only - an album on ...
View the album on Flickr. Flickr logo. If you click it, you'll go home Sign Up Explore Recent Photos The Commons 20under20 Galleries World Map ...

OOPS: without Permission, Paul Ryan and Family Show Up Washing Clean Dishes at Ohio Soup Kitchen - YouTube ...
The head of a charity in Ohio is not pleased with Paul Ryan's photo op at a soup kitchen in Ohio, saying that the Romney campaign "ramrodded ...

Arafat's widow grants permission for Swiss lab to test poisoning theory
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas after a media investigation found ...

LeBron James sought sons' permission before his return to Ohio
Before LeBron James could return home to the Cavaliers, he first had to clear it with his children.

Scientists seek permission to edit the genes of human embryos
British scientists have applied for permission to edit the genes of human embryos in a series of experiments aimed at finding out more about ...