Performance MySQL Linux vs. Windows

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi experts,

we are benchmarking MySQL with PHP client on different operating
systems. We use a set of small db operations (selects, updates, inserts)
and measure the number of operations being actioned per second.

The results are astonishing. Linux outperforms Windows on the same
hardware significantly:

Linux: 3.500 operations/s
Windows: 2.100 operations/s

Spec. details:

Linux: Debian 2.6.24 64bit
Windows: 2008R2 64bit
Hardware: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz, 12 GB RAM,
Hardware-Raid 1, SATA 750GB
PHP 5.2.10
MySQL 5.1.41/64

Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation issue?

Best regards
Keith
0
Reply oecher7.z.ksau (3) 3/12/2010 11:23:21 AM

See related articles to this posting

Keith Sauvant wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> we are benchmarking MySQL with PHP client on different operating
> systems. We use a set of small db operations (selects, updates, inserts)
> and measure the number of operations being actioned per second.
>
> The results are astonishing. Linux outperforms Windows on the same
> hardware significantly:
>
> Linux: 3.500 operations/s
> Windows: 2.100 operations/s
>
> Spec. details:
>
> Linux: Debian 2.6.24 64bit
> Windows: 2008R2 64bit
> Hardware: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz, 12 GB RAM,
> Hardware-Raid 1, SATA 750GB
> PHP 5.2.10
> MySQL 5.1.41/64
>
> Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation issue?
>
> Best regards
> Keith

Insufficient information.  Have you tuned both systems for maximum
performance?

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Am 12.03.2010 12:51, schrieb Jerry Stuckle:
> Insufficient information.  Have you tuned both systems for maximum
> performance?

Hmmm. Some more information about the MySQL configuration: Parameters as
recommended by MySQL for servers mostly hosting mysql. All tables MyISAM.

What exactly would you need to know in addition?

Best regards
Keith
0
Reply Keith 3/12/2010 12:03:12 PM

Keith Sauvant wrote:
> Am 12.03.2010 12:51, schrieb Jerry Stuckle:
>> Insufficient information.  Have you tuned both systems for maximum
>> performance?
>
> Hmmm. Some more information about the MySQL configuration: Parameters as
> recommended by MySQL for servers mostly hosting mysql. All tables MyISAM.
>
> What exactly would you need to know in addition?
>
> Best regards
> Keith

You need to learn how to tune MySQL for best performance for your
installation.  Every one is different.  And default or recommended
values are a good place to start.  But they are only the start, not the end.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================
0
Reply Jerry 3/12/2010 12:04:36 PM

 > You need to learn how to tune MySQL for best performance for your
 > installation. Every one is different. And default or recommended
 > values are a good place to start. But they are only the start, not
 > the end.

You are absolutely right.

But I am not asking for how to fine tune the last 5 percent out of it. I
am asking why and if a Windows installation of MySQL normally is >30%
slower than a Linux installation on the same box.

Anyone?

Best regards
Keith

Am 12.03.2010 13:04, schrieb Jerry Stuckle:
> Keith Sauvant wrote:
>> Am 12.03.2010 12:51, schrieb Jerry Stuckle:
>>> Insufficient information. Have you tuned both systems for maximum
>>> performance?
>>
>> Hmmm. Some more information about the MySQL configuration: Parameters
>> as recommended by MySQL for servers mostly hosting mysql. All tables
>> MyISAM.
>>
>> What exactly would you need to know in addition?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Keith

0
Reply Keith 3/12/2010 12:26:44 PM

Keith Sauvant:

>Linux: 3.500 operations/s
>Windows: 2.100 operations/s

>Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation
>issue?

Hi Keith,
I have no comparison data, so all I could try to do is point out, that
this question has been asked a lot in several forums already, so you
may want to do a search on "mysql performance linux windows" or similar.
Of course, you'll see plenty of vague opinions and bashing, but I
believe there are a few useful replies out there:

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?24,215528,228017#msg-228017
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql_on_windows.html

--
Erick
0

Hi Erick,

thank you for the links. I searched some hours before asking here and
came across both documents. But as you said, information is all vague
unfortunately. My hope is to find somebody here with practical
experience comparing the operating platforms.

Best regards
Keith

Am 12.03.2010 13:43, schrieb Erick T. Barkhuis:
> Keith Sauvant:
>
>> Linux: 3.500 operations/s
>> Windows: 2.100 operations/s
>
>> Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation
>> issue?
>
> Hi Keith,
> I have no comparison data, so all I could try to do is point out, that
> this question has been asked a lot in several forums already, so you
> may want to do a search on "mysql performance linux windows" or similar.
> Of course, you'll see plenty of vague opinions and bashing, but I
> believe there are a few useful replies out there:
>
> http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?24,215528,228017#msg-228017
> http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql_on_windows.html
0
Reply Keith 3/12/2010 1:19:33 PM

Keith Sauvant <oecher7.z.ksau@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> we are benchmarking MySQL with PHP client on different operating
> systems. We use a set of small db operations (selects, updates, inserts)
> and measure the number of operations being actioned per second.
>
> The results are astonishing. Linux outperforms Windows on the same
> hardware significantly:
>
> Linux: 3.500 operations/s
> Windows: 2.100 operations/s
>
> Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation issue?

You benchmark a lot of different things in such a test:

- interprocess communication
- file systems
- scheduler
- compiler + system libs quality

Windows is known for i.e. slow NTFS. And all IPC sucks, that is
why virtually all Windoze software is multithreaded instead of
multiprocessed.

Finally: UNIX (used to be Solaris, nowadays Linux) is the primary
development platform for MySQL developers. No wonder MySQL performs
better there. Oh and don't miss the MySQL manual. It has a Win/*NIX
comparison page too.

XL
0
Reply Axel 3/12/2010 1:49:31 PM

Keith Sauvant spoke:
> thank you for the links. I searched some hours before asking here and
> came across both documents. But as you said, information is all vague
> unfortunately. My hope is to find somebody here with practical
> experience comparing the operating platforms.

I write MySQL clients on this here WinXP laptop, usually connecting to
our own Linux server for development, and also to client machines and
hosted databases, through our shonky 2Mb slowband pipe here, and even
with the crap connection the Linux hosts are noticeably faster than my
127.0.0.1 connection to the local MySQL on the laptop.

0
Reply R 3/12/2010 2:02:55 PM

Keith Sauvant wrote:
>  > You need to learn how to tune MySQL for best performance for your
>  > installation. Every one is different. And default or recommended
>  > values are a good place to start. But they are only the start, not
>  > the end.
>
> You are absolutely right.
>
> But I am not asking for how to fine tune the last 5 percent out of it. I
> am asking why and if a Windows installation of MySQL normally is >30%
> slower than a Linux installation on the same box.

Because Microsoft is shit?

Probably disk drivers.
0
Reply The 3/12/2010 3:16:55 PM

R C Nesbit wrote:
> Keith Sauvant spoke:
>> thank you for the links. I searched some hours before asking here and
>> came across both documents. But as you said, information is all vague
>> unfortunately. My hope is to find somebody here with practical
>> experience comparing the operating platforms.
>
> I write MySQL clients on this here WinXP laptop, usually connecting to
> our own Linux server for development, and also to client machines and
> hosted databases, through our shonky 2Mb slowband pipe here, and even
> with the crap connection the Linux hosts are noticeably faster than my
> 127.0.0.1 connection to the local MySQL on the laptop.

Ive got the same code running om two different Linux machiones.  The
faster CPU at the end of a long line is markedly better than the one at
my knee .

It also has a SATA rather than IDE drive.

I suspect your answer is in the disk subsystem really. Linux is really
quite good in that area.

0
Reply The 3/12/2010 3:19:40 PM

Keith Sauvant wrote:

> I am asking why and if a Windows installation of MySQL
> normally is >30% slower than a Linux installation on the same box.

Most likely the ODBC connection on the microsoft install that makes for the
loss of "operations".
--

  //Aho
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Spreadsheet Performance...See Linux FAIL........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk Holy SHIT!!!! LIEnux really sucks!! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.htm...

Windows vs Linux Performance
All, Interesting article I found which compares performance between Windows and Linux on equivalent hardware. http://www.perftuning.com/pdf/Comparison_Oracle_Windows_Linux.pdf This topic has been discussed in depth here quite a lot with most people saying that Linux performs better than Windows. But the above article seems to suggest that Windows has the edge over Linux in terms of scalability. Matt mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > All, > > Interesting article I found which compares performance between Windows > and Linux on equivalent hardware. > > http://www.perftuning.c...

Windows vs. Linux Performance
Good Afternoon, I have a Linux server running SAS and because of campus agreement changes with SAS I'm looking at migrating the server to Windows 2003 R2. Are there any performance issues with the Windows version of SAS? I'm concerned that the server won't perform the same as it did with Linux. The server is a dual processing Dell PowerEdge 2800. Users connect to the server in a multi-user environment using SSH and under Windows I plan on them using Terminal Services in a multi-user environment. Thanks. Dean On 16 Nov, 19:01, olso...@MSU.EDU ("Olson, III Dean") wro...

Performance Windows vs Linux
Hi, I have been running a large code in matlab 7.5 (R2007b) on Windows XP SP3 32b on my laptop Intel Duo T9400 @2.53Ghz, 3.48Gb RAM. Only one core has been used (multi-core option has been disabled). I recently ran the same code on a machine with 2 Xeon @2.4Ghz 64b Processors and 24Gb RAM, Linux Ubuntu and Matlab 2010, which by default uses multi-thread. 8 cores are beeing used during the run (CPU usage from TOP command shows about 750%). What is really surprising is that the code runs slightly (maybe 10%) faster on the Windows machine, despite the fact it's using only one core. Do anyo...

Linux vs. Windows performance.
Has anyone taken an Identical Windows box and Linux box (same hardware configuration) and tested Oracle performance? I'm looking for some real world examples if I move from Windows 2k to linux with Oracle 9i. The box currently has 2 1.8 CPUs with 4 disks and 1 G ram. OLTP system with tables using about 30 G of space. About 40 - 100 concurrent users, but this may double soon. Can I expect better performance from the Linux box? Thanks Michael -- There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him. -...

windows vs linux performance
hello sir i have an application basically a client that is giving 3MB data transfer on windows system(basically a putfile) and on linux Suse it is giving 1.4MB data transfer. when i run quantify it shows me that 98.65% amt of time is in pthread_cond_wait function and on windows is close by 97% like that, but this is the % of time and is relative, i want to know if threading in linux and system calls is slowing the performance, if so tell me how can i improve the performance of the application client basically sftp. please help me as it is urgent. regards Jude Hi Jude, ...

Re: Windows vs. Linux Performance
I like WPS a lot (check out my website at www.minequest.com) and have done quite a bit of performance evaluations comparing it against SAS 8.2. On the same hardware, SAS is at least marginally faster and sometimes much faster. Specifically when accessing databases like MySQL and SQL Server. Try loading a large file using the libname engine between WPS and SAS and you will see the differences. I find it hard to fault WPS in what they've accomplished and the bang for the buck and the value it brings is, without a doubt, there. Phil Rack www.minequest.com ...

Re: windows vs linux performance
Hi Douglas, we are developing a Sftp library, we have done it in windows and it is giving a performance of 3MB for put , the same code we have ported on suse linux and it is giving 1.54MB for put, we have used ACE system calls, the applications has number of threads, the SFTP protocol is single threaded, which does the data transfer. please can u tell me does such kind of performance problems occur on linux. And sorry i dint get wat is the PRF. regards jude On 4/4/07, Douglas C. Schmidt <schmidt@dre.vanderbilt.edu> wrote: Hi Jude, Is this question related to...

Windows vs. Linux: StarCraft II Performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9VSZRg2RHE&hd=1 -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Operating_system_usage_share.svg [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large." http://www.pcworl...

Apache,MySql,PHP on Windows vs. Linux
OK... Crazy (possibly dumb) question here... I have a site running apache, mysql, php in a Win2K environment. Primary development is that env also. I also am setting up a linux box (old laptop), to begin playing with Linux. I'd like to set it up similiary with apache,mysql, php. If I do that, and start doing some development there (Linux box) - can I expect that when I move the php code to the windows box that it will behave similarly as it did on Linux? Anything to watch out for? I'm completely new to Linux... thanks for your help... Hi, For that you have to install php,mysql,a...

Re: Windows vs. Linux Performance #2
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:01:57 -0500, Olson, III Dean <olsonde@MSU.EDU> wrote: >Good Afternoon, > >I have a Linux server running SAS and because of campus agreement changes >with SAS I'm looking at migrating the server to Windows 2003 R2. Are there >any performance issues with the Windows version of SAS? I'm concerned that >the server won't perform the same as it did with Linux. The server is a >dual processing Dell PowerEdge 2800. > >Users connect to the server in a multi-user environment using SSH and under >Windows I plan on them using Termi...

DB2 Create tablespace performance Linux vs. Windows
I have DB2 V8.2 installed on Windows and Linux on exactly the same type of server. The Servers are configured exactly alike (memory, processor, disk). When I use a create database or create tablespace Windows seems to be so much faster than Linux. Why ? ...

Windows 7 vs. Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aof9D7Z2EbQ&hd=1 -- Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Operating_system_usage_share.svg [............] "Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large." http://www.pcworl...

Oracle administration and Performance
Helpful associates, We are going to acquire and new database server that is intel based and we want to have some failover capabilities. Our question now is should we go with Linux based cluster solution or Windows based? We have systems people who are supporting a Linux database server with Oracle RAC. Due to RAC's expense and the fact that we really do not need load balancing with our new database server, we are looking at using a Linux cluster and do have experience with Linux both at the systems level and database level. However we do not have any experience with c...

g++/linux vs visual c++/windows software build performance
Hi, I have some interesting data in comparing the software build performace on Linux and windows. They are sort of surprise to me and want to know how you see of the thing. I am a software developer and need to write code to run on both Linux and Windows. Linux distribution is RedHat Enterprise 3, windows is XP service pack 1. We are using gcc 3.23 and visual c++ 7.0 compilers. 1/3 of the code are GUI code, we use Qt libraries for that purpose. In both platforms, we use command line to do build, no GUI IDE involved. Windows machine and Linux machine are roughly same powerful Inte...

Linux performance problems blamed for why OpenOffice performs MUCH BETTER on Windows than Linux
<quote> "With infamous threads such as this one around, and OpenOffice.org still performing much better on Windows than it does on Linux, it seems more likely to us that the performance problems seen above are less Mozilla's fault and more down to general performance issues on Linux. </quote> http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/linux-loses-to-windows-in-firefox-benchmarks-528536 Ezekiel wrote: > > <quote> > > "With infamous threads such as this one around, and OpenOffice.org still > performing much better on Windo...

Mac vs. Windows vs. Linux
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYeKcsC7cg -- HPT ...

Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac
With regard to all this Linux sucks, Windows rocks static: Up here at our weekend place, I have a DSL connection. It's a masqueraded dhcp router, but it only has one network port, and I forgot to bring a little switch, so my wife and I had to share - I'd unplug my Mac iBook and plug in her Windows XP and back and forth.. The Mac has no problem with that. While unplugged, it only complains if I forget and click on something that requires the Internet. Plug the cable back in and it instantly works again. My wife, on the other hand, has to go to Control Panel and "Repair" ...

window.open, Linux vs. Windows
I'm a complete Javascript n00b, using a snippet I found on the web. I'll probably be buying a Javascript book. What's the authoritative on-line resource for Javascript, like php.net is for PHP? I'm a relative PHP n00b. This code works fine on Opera & Mozilla under Linux, but fails for both Netscape & IE under Windows: <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- function smallWindow(URL, X, Y, Title) { var win = window.open(URL, Title, 'width='+X+',height='+Y+',resizable=1,scrollbars=1'); } // --> </script> <for...

FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows 2000
hello all , am wondering if the comparison between FreeBSD, and Linux found at : http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html still standing - regarding linux and freebsd only - ? also i used linux for a while as a desktop and now i want to study the command line interface and the tools , and i want to know if the skills , tools , and ways of doing things are transferable between freebsd and linux ? am going to install freebsd 6.2 to try it out , my intrest in both OS is for mail and web server use, as am trying to develop my skills toward that direction , and i read that freebsd wo...

Mac OS vs. Windows vs. Linux
I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en by In article <74603a0c-5c6b-41df-9feb-e95bb5ae8244@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>, yuzgen <yuzgen@gmail.com> wrote: > I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer > users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: > http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en From that article: Mac OS for girls: Please don’t get me wrong. This was the best single word to define naive...

Occitan vs French, Linux vs Windows.
NPR's /All Things Considered/ recently had an article on the Occitan language (formerly spoken in southern France) and attempts to revive it. Evidently, reggae and folk music figure into these attempts, but here's the interesting bit for COLA. "Jali says the difference between Occitan and French are like between Linux and Windows. 'One is forced on you and one is free.'" The quote occurs about 8:15 into the Real media file. Darn shame that the quote seems to get the order wrong and imply that Linux (and Occitan) are forced on you. Still, I find it very interesti...

Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X from CIO
An article about John Halamka, the CIO of the Harvard Medical School and CareGroup which runs the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. http://www.cio.com/article/print/41140 "John Halamka has a penchant for experiments with new technologies. In 2004, the now 44-year-old CIO of the Harvard Medical School and CareGroup, which runs the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, who is also a practicing emergency room physician, was one of the first people to have an RFID chip containing a link to his medical records implanted in his body (it's near his right triceps.) Next April, he...

matlab performance: win vs linux vs mac who win?
Hi, probably I will buy a new laptop soon and I'm wondering to buy a mac. However in which OS is matlab faster? Thanks Pietro On 27/02/11 1:41 PM, pietro wrote: > probably I will buy a new laptop soon and I'm wondering to buy a mac. > However in which OS is matlab faster? It is a bit early to say, as the new MacBook Pro have just been released. With the previous MacBook Pro, there were some reports that performance was measurably worse under OS X than if you run the Windows version of Matlab under Parallels on the very same machine. The MacBook Pro l...