Performance MySQL Linux vs. Windows

Hi experts,

we are benchmarking MySQL with PHP client on different operating
systems. We use a set of small db operations (selects, updates, inserts)
and measure the number of operations being actioned per second.

The results are astonishing. Linux outperforms Windows on the same
hardware significantly:

Linux: 3.500 operations/s
Windows: 2.100 operations/s

Spec. details:

Linux: Debian 2.6.24 64bit
Windows: 2008R2 64bit
Hardware: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz, 12 GB RAM,
Hardware-Raid 1, SATA 750GB
PHP 5.2.10
MySQL 5.1.41/64

Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation issue?

Best regards
Keith
comp.databases.mysql 6904 articles. 0 followers. laredotornado (869) is leader. Post Follow

Keith Sauvant wrote:
> Hi experts,
>
> we are benchmarking MySQL with PHP client on different operating
> systems. We use a set of small db operations (selects, updates, inserts)
> and measure the number of operations being actioned per second.
>
> The results are astonishing. Linux outperforms Windows on the same
> hardware significantly:
>
> Linux: 3.500 operations/s
> Windows: 2.100 operations/s
>
> Spec. details:
>
> Linux: Debian 2.6.24 64bit
> Windows: 2008R2 64bit
> Hardware: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5405 @ 2.00GHz, 12 GB RAM,
> Hardware-Raid 1, SATA 750GB
> PHP 5.2.10
> MySQL 5.1.41/64
>
> Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation issue?
>
> Best regards
> Keith

Insufficient information.  Have you tuned both systems for maximum
performance?

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Am 12.03.2010 12:51, schrieb Jerry Stuckle:
> Insufficient information.  Have you tuned both systems for maximum
> performance?

Hmmm. Some more information about the MySQL configuration: Parameters as
recommended by MySQL for servers mostly hosting mysql. All tables MyISAM.

What exactly would you need to know in addition?

Best regards
Keith
0
Keith
3/12/2010 12:03:12 PM
Keith Sauvant wrote:
> Am 12.03.2010 12:51, schrieb Jerry Stuckle:
>> Insufficient information.  Have you tuned both systems for maximum
>> performance?
>
> Hmmm. Some more information about the MySQL configuration: Parameters as
> recommended by MySQL for servers mostly hosting mysql. All tables MyISAM.
>
> What exactly would you need to know in addition?
>
> Best regards
> Keith

You need to learn how to tune MySQL for best performance for your
installation.  Every one is different.  And default or recommended
values are a good place to start.  But they are only the start, not the end.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex@attglobal.net
==================
0
Jerry
3/12/2010 12:04:36 PM
 > You need to learn how to tune MySQL for best performance for your
 > installation. Every one is different. And default or recommended
 > values are a good place to start. But they are only the start, not
 > the end.

You are absolutely right.

But I am not asking for how to fine tune the last 5 percent out of it. I
am asking why and if a Windows installation of MySQL normally is >30%
slower than a Linux installation on the same box.

Anyone?

Best regards
Keith

Am 12.03.2010 13:04, schrieb Jerry Stuckle:
> Keith Sauvant wrote:
>> Am 12.03.2010 12:51, schrieb Jerry Stuckle:
>>> Insufficient information. Have you tuned both systems for maximum
>>> performance?
>>
>> Hmmm. Some more information about the MySQL configuration: Parameters
>> as recommended by MySQL for servers mostly hosting mysql. All tables
>> MyISAM.
>>
>> What exactly would you need to know in addition?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Keith

0
Keith
3/12/2010 12:26:44 PM
Keith Sauvant:

>Linux: 3.500 operations/s
>Windows: 2.100 operations/s

>Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation
>issue?

Hi Keith,
I have no comparison data, so all I could try to do is point out, that
this question has been asked a lot in several forums already, so you
may want to do a search on "mysql performance linux windows" or similar.
Of course, you'll see plenty of vague opinions and bashing, but I
believe there are a few useful replies out there:

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?24,215528,228017#msg-228017
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql_on_windows.html

--
Erick
0

thank you for the links. I searched some hours before asking here and
came across both documents. But as you said, information is all vague
unfortunately. My hope is to find somebody here with practical
experience comparing the operating platforms.

Best regards
Keith

Am 12.03.2010 13:43, schrieb Erick T. Barkhuis:
> Keith Sauvant:
>
>> Linux: 3.500 operations/s
>> Windows: 2.100 operations/s
>
>> Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation
>> issue?
>
> Hi Keith,
> I have no comparison data, so all I could try to do is point out, that
> this question has been asked a lot in several forums already, so you
> may want to do a search on "mysql performance linux windows" or similar.
> Of course, you'll see plenty of vague opinions and bashing, but I
> believe there are a few useful replies out there:
>
> http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?24,215528,228017#msg-228017
> http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql_on_windows.html
0
Keith
3/12/2010 1:19:33 PM
Keith Sauvant <oecher7.z.ksau@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> we are benchmarking MySQL with PHP client on different operating
> systems. We use a set of small db operations (selects, updates, inserts)
> and measure the number of operations being actioned per second.
>
> The results are astonishing. Linux outperforms Windows on the same
> hardware significantly:
>
> Linux: 3.500 operations/s
> Windows: 2.100 operations/s
>
> Is that a "normal" OS effect or would you assume an installation issue?

You benchmark a lot of different things in such a test:

- interprocess communication
- file systems
- scheduler
- compiler + system libs quality

Windows is known for i.e. slow NTFS. And all IPC sucks, that is
why virtually all Windoze software is multithreaded instead of
multiprocessed.

Finally: UNIX (used to be Solaris, nowadays Linux) is the primary
development platform for MySQL developers. No wonder MySQL performs
better there. Oh and don't miss the MySQL manual. It has a Win/*NIX
comparison page too.

XL
0
Axel
3/12/2010 1:49:31 PM
Keith Sauvant spoke:
> thank you for the links. I searched some hours before asking here and
> came across both documents. But as you said, information is all vague
> unfortunately. My hope is to find somebody here with practical
> experience comparing the operating platforms.

I write MySQL clients on this here WinXP laptop, usually connecting to
our own Linux server for development, and also to client machines and
hosted databases, through our shonky 2Mb slowband pipe here, and even
with the crap connection the Linux hosts are noticeably faster than my
127.0.0.1 connection to the local MySQL on the laptop.

Keith Sauvant wrote:
>  > You need to learn how to tune MySQL for best performance for your
>  > installation. Every one is different. And default or recommended
>  > values are a good place to start. But they are only the start, not
>  > the end.
>
> You are absolutely right.
>
> But I am not asking for how to fine tune the last 5 percent out of it. I
> am asking why and if a Windows installation of MySQL normally is >30%
> slower than a Linux installation on the same box.

Because Microsoft is shit?

Probably disk drivers.
0
The
3/12/2010 3:16:55 PM
R C Nesbit wrote:
> Keith Sauvant spoke:
>> thank you for the links. I searched some hours before asking here and
>> came across both documents. But as you said, information is all vague
>> unfortunately. My hope is to find somebody here with practical
>> experience comparing the operating platforms.
>
> I write MySQL clients on this here WinXP laptop, usually connecting to
> our own Linux server for development, and also to client machines and
> hosted databases, through our shonky 2Mb slowband pipe here, and even
> with the crap connection the Linux hosts are noticeably faster than my
> 127.0.0.1 connection to the local MySQL on the laptop.

Ive got the same code running om two different Linux machiones.  The
faster CPU at the end of a long line is markedly better than the one at
my knee .

It also has a SATA rather than IDE drive.

I suspect your answer is in the disk subsystem really. Linux is really
quite good in that area.

0
The
3/12/2010 3:19:40 PM
Keith Sauvant wrote:

> I am asking why and if a Windows installation of MySQL
> normally is >30% slower than a Linux installation on the same box.

Most likely the ODBC connection on the microsoft install that makes for the
loss of "operations".
--

  //Aho

Apache,MySql,PHP on Windows vs. Linux
OK... Crazy (possibly dumb) question here... I have a site running apache, mysql, php in a Win2K environment. Primary development is that env also. I also am setting up a linux box (old laptop), to begin playing with Linux. I'd like to set it up similiary with apache,mysql, php. If I do that, and start doing some development there (Linux box) - can I expect that when I move the php code to the windows box that it will behave similarly as it did on Linux? Anything to watch out for? I'm completely new to Linux... thanks for your help... Hi, For that you have to install php,mysql,a...

from windows clients via mysql C-API , can I conent linux mysql server?

How to keep update one Mysql database with another MySQL database?
I have two Mysql databases. One is the master and the other is slave. I need to keep update with slave database to keep some tables the same as master database. The first idea in my mind is to write a php script to read datas from these tables and write into slave database. But I still think it is a little complex to judge which code I need to write into slave databse. So, any good idea to do this job? Any tool I can use? -- Water Lin http://blog.waterlin.org Water Lin wrote: > I have two Mysql databases. One is the master and the other is slave. > > I need to keep update wi...

Windows 7 vs. Linux: Spreadsheet Performance...See Linux FAIL........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=875AbZcWoCk Holy SHIT!!!! LIEnux really sucks!! -- flatfish+++ Please visit our hall of Linux idiots. http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ Watching Linux Fail: http://limuxwatch.blogspot.com/ Linux's dismal desktop market share: http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/ Desktop Linux: The Dream Is Dead "By the time Microsoft released the Windows 7 beta in January 2009, Linux had clearly lost its chance at desktop glory." http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.htm...

Linux vs. Windows performance.
Has anyone taken an Identical Windows box and Linux box (same hardware configuration) and tested Oracle performance? I'm looking for some real world examples if I move from Windows 2k to linux with Oracle 9i. The box currently has 2 1.8 CPUs with 4 disks and 1 G ram. OLTP system with tables using about 30 G of space. About 40 - 100 concurrent users, but this may double soon. Can I expect better performance from the Linux box? Thanks Michael -- There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him. -...

Windows vs Linux Performance
All, Interesting article I found which compares performance between Windows and Linux on equivalent hardware. http://www.perftuning.com/pdf/Comparison_Oracle_Windows_Linux.pdf This topic has been discussed in depth here quite a lot with most people saying that Linux performs better than Windows. But the above article seems to suggest that Windows has the edge over Linux in terms of scalability. Matt mccmx@hotmail.com wrote: > All, > > Interesting article I found which compares performance between Windows > and Linux on equivalent hardware. > > http://www.perftuning.c...

Performance Windows vs Linux
Hi, I have been running a large code in matlab 7.5 (R2007b) on Windows XP SP3 32b on my laptop Intel Duo T9400 @2.53Ghz, 3.48Gb RAM. Only one core has been used (multi-core option has been disabled). I recently ran the same code on a machine with 2 Xeon @2.4Ghz 64b Processors and 24Gb RAM, Linux Ubuntu and Matlab 2010, which by default uses multi-thread. 8 cores are beeing used during the run (CPU usage from TOP command shows about 750%). What is really surprising is that the code runs slightly (maybe 10%) faster on the Windows machine, despite the fact it's using only one core. Do anyo...

Connect to remote MySQL database server through MySQL WorkBench
Hi everybody: I am trying to use MySQL WorkBench and also I have a database server from m= y hosting provider. Usually I access using provider's panel through phpMyAd= min and is fine. But now I want to access it with MySQL WorkBench. The serv= er address is indicated as "Server: Localhost via UNIX socket". I need the = host IP address. I tried the host's IP but I got the message "Access denied= for user@<IP>" Any help will be appreciated. Regards, Marco A. Cruz --- On 8/9/2013 1:15 PM, Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote: > Hi everybody: >...

Database Metadata
I know in mysql 5 you can get metadata from a database using the Information_Schema technique. How can this done in mysql version 4? Thanks, Kelly Greer KellyGreer1@nospam.com replace nospam with yahoo > I know in mysql 5 you can get metadata from a database using the > Information_Schema technique. > How can this done in mysql version 4? Have a look at the SHOW commands in the documentation. -- Martijn Tonies Database Workbench - development tool for MySQL, and more! Upscene Productions http://www.upscene.com My thoughts: http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/ Database development q...

Oracle vs MySql Performance
Hi, I'm looking for a few opinions on an issue we are experiencing. My company currently uses a 3rd party application. Up until a few weeks ago this application consisted of Java code and a database layer that used MySql. Performance on MySql was adequate but as our primary DB platform is Oracle we influenced the 3rd part to introduce an Oracle version (NB: most of the sql code is stored in a java db layer - schema just consists of tables, views and indexes). To facilitate this process the vendor has used almost pure ANSI Sql so that the same sql can be used for both oracle / mysql wit...

mysql and mysql.sock
I have not installed mysql on my own before because I just use whatever is installed with Linux. I have used Mandrake in the past, but I am using Debian now. I need to go from mysql version 3.x to 4.x to use a certain application so I downloaded the binary. After the appropriate setup, it worked fine sort of, but I started getting an error regarding mysql.sock, which apparently should be in either /tmp or /var/run/mysqld/. I cannot find any reference in the mysql literature regarding how, when or where this file is generated during the installation/setup process. The only way I ge...

Windows vs. Linux Performance
Good Afternoon, I have a Linux server running SAS and because of campus agreement changes with SAS I'm looking at migrating the server to Windows 2003 R2. Are there any performance issues with the Windows version of SAS? I'm concerned that the server won't perform the same as it did with Linux. The server is a dual processing Dell PowerEdge 2800. Users connect to the server in a multi-user environment using SSH and under Windows I plan on them using Terminal Services in a multi-user environment. Thanks. Dean On 16 Nov, 19:01, olso...@MSU.EDU ("Olson, III Dean") wro...

windows vs linux performance
hello sir i have an application basically a client that is giving 3MB data transfer on windows system(basically a putfile) and on linux Suse it is giving 1.4MB data transfer. when i run quantify it shows me that 98.65% amt of time is in pthread_cond_wait function and on windows is close by 97% like that, but this is the % of time and is relative, i want to know if threading in linux and system calls is slowing the performance, if so tell me how can i improve the performance of the application client basically sftp. please help me as it is urgent. regards Jude Hi Jude, ...

what is the difference between mysql and MySQL?
As some believe the two are not equal, what is the difference? richard: >As some believe the two are not equal, what is the difference? Do you ever try and read what is written in this group? See: From: "Denis McMahon" <denismfmcmahon@gmail.com> Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 22:16:37 +0000 (UTC) Message-ID: <lldvs5$787$2@dont-email.me> -- Erick On Tue, 20 May 2014 02:24:39 -0400, richard wrote: > As some believe the two are not equal, what is the difference? I posted an explanation of this yesterday which you clearly have not read, understood...

Web resources about - Performance MySQL Linux vs. Windows - comp.databases.mysql

Bull's Bullion S server sets performance record
Bullion, high-end servers from Atos' technology brand Bull, has set a new global record in performance, the company has announced. The record ...

Kanye West is rolling out 'best album of all time' with a performance streamed across the world
Kanye West will release his seventh album, "Waves," February 11 with a performance at Madison Square Garden that will be streamed live in select ...

Performance Food Group Co (PFGC) Upgraded to Buy at Zacks Investment Research
Performance Food Group Co (NASDAQ:PFGC) was upgraded by Zacks Investment Research from a “hold” rating to a “buy” rating in a research report ...

Vanessa Hudgens Delivers Spectacular 'Grease: Live!' Performance Despite the Loss of Father Hours Earlier ...
The 'High School Musical' alum dedicated her 'Grease: Live' performance on Sunday to her dad, who died on Saturday after a battle with cancer. ...

Vanessa Hudgens' father dies of cancer, actress dedicates Grease: Live performance to him - EW.com
Vanessa Hudgens announced Sunday that her father, Greg, has died of cancer. “I am so sad to say that last night my daddy, Greg passed away from... ...

Toshiba Convertible Laptop: Good Performance, Few Flaws
PRODUCT REVIEW: This is a competitive laptop/tablet with plenty of horsepower and storage, good ease of use, responsiveness, and relatively few ...

CybertronPC Launches New CLX Line Of Luxury, High Performance Desktop And Mobile PCs
ongtime Kansas-based system builder, CybertronPC, just announced that it is launching a new line of custom PCs under the brand CLX. The CLX moniker ...

The Road to the Super Bowl It's all About Stats and Performance
... in Silicon Valley's backyard. I, the CEO of SOASTA, a Silicon Valley software start-up, wanted to share my random musings about high performance, ...

Carrie Underwood Reveals Huge Baby Milestone With Emotional Performance
... Arena. Carrie Underwood ❤️ #storytellertour #carrieunderwood A video posted by @princetroysmama on Jan 30, 2016 at 6:58pm PST The performance, ...