Best way to connect MS Access 2007 to Oracle 8 database?

I am new to Oracle.  I need to connect to a Oracle 8 database to
extract some data.  I have read some of the postings and wonder what
is the least involved way to connect the two.  Is the Oracle OLE
driver (not OLEDB) good?
 I would prefer not install the Oracle client if I don't have to.  All
I need to do is ,once a day, connect to Oracle, run a passthru query
and disconnect.

Any thoughts???
Thanks,
TD
0
TD
12/20/2007 6:08:03 AM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

TD wrote:
> I am new to Oracle.  I need to connect to a Oracle 8 database to
> extract some data.  I have read some of the postings and wonder what
> is the least involved way to connect the two.  Is the Oracle OLE
> driver (not OLEDB) good?
>  I would prefer not install the Oracle client if I don't have to.  All
> I need to do is ,once a day, connect to Oracle, run a passthru query
> and disconnect.
>
> Any thoughts???
> Thanks,
> TD

Install the Oracle client.

Nothing about what you are trying to do is good. Oracle 8 is
paleolithic and likely the version of MS Access you are trying
to use didn't exist when Oracle 8 did. This is all a remarkably
bad idea. What is it you think you are going to do in Access
you couldn't do inside the database other than corrupt the data?
--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
On Dec 20, 9:03 am, DA Morgan <damor...@psoug.org> wrote:
> TD wrote:
> > I am new to Oracle.  I need to connect to a Oracle 8 database to
> > extract some data.  I have read some of the postings and wonder what
> > is the least involved way to connect the two.  Is the Oracle OLE
> > driver (not OLEDB) good?
> >  I would prefer not install the Oracle client if I don't have to.  All
> > I need to do is ,once a day, connect to Oracle, run a passthru query
> > and disconnect.
>
> > Any thoughts???
> > Thanks,
> > TD
>
> Install the Oracle client.
>
> Nothing about what you are trying to do is good. Oracle 8 is
> paleolithic and likely the version of MS Access you are trying
> to use didn't exist when Oracle 8 did. This is all a remarkably
> bad idea. What is it you think you are going to do in Access
> you couldn't do inside the database other than corrupt the data?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> damor...@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)

The database account is set to read only and we'll be running select
queries only so I doubt we'll damage the database.  We need to extract
data that is in Oracle into a MS Access 2007 program on laptops that
will taken out into the field.  I'm not sure how else we can
accomplish that by "doing it inside the database"!

TD

0
TD
12/20/2007 5:32:36 PM
> likely the version of MS Access you are trying
> to use didn't exist when Oracle 8 did.

Which is better than the other way around, isn't it? :-)

--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server

0
Martijn
12/20/2007 6:10:34 PM
Anyone else have any thoughts?

TD

0
TD
12/20/2007 9:19:29 PM
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, damorgan@psoug.org wrote:

> What is it you think you are going to do in Access you couldn't do
> inside the database other than corrupt the data?

Why would using MSAccess somehow cause one to corrupt data?

--
Galen Boyer
0
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, dlee@adsi-sc.com wrote:
> Anyone else have any thoughts?

Don't know the OLE driver, but why can't you install the oracle client?
That really shouldn't be a factor, unless all those on the road are in
need of it as well.  Just install it and connect MSAccess through and
ODBC connection.  Should work quite nicely.

--
Galen Boyer
0
On Dec 22, 4:08=A0pm, Galen Boyer <galen_bo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, d...@adsi-sc.com wrote:
> > Anyone else have any thoughts?
>
> Don't know the OLE driver, but why can't you install the oracle client?
> That really shouldn't be a factor, unless all those on the road are in
> need of it as well. =A0Just install it and connect MSAccess through and
> ODBC connection. =A0Should work quite nicely.
>
> --
> Galen Boyer

Thannks Galen.  Will the 9i client work ok?
0
TD
12/23/2007 1:18:38 AM
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, dlee@adsi-sc.com wrote:
> On Dec 22, 4:08�pm, Galen Boyer <galen_bo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, d...@adsi-sc.com wrote:
>> > Anyone else have any thoughts?
>>
>> Don't know the OLE driver, but why can't you install the oracle
>> client?  That really shouldn't be a factor, unless all those on the
>> road are in need of it as well. �Just install it and connect MSAccess
>> through and ODBC connection. �Should work quite nicely.
>>
>> --
>> Galen Boyer
>
> Thannks Galen.  Will the 9i client work ok?

Should be.  Why not install it and give it a go?  You originally posted
on Dec 19th.  Its Dec 23rd.  You could have easily figured it all out by
now.  The install should take a few moments.  Connections should take a
few moments.  In an hour, you could have figured this out.

--
Galen Boyer
0
On Dec 23, 9:37=A0am, Galen Boyer <galen_bo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, d...@adsi-sc.com wrote:
>
> >> Don't know the OLE driver, but why can't you install the oracle
> >> client? =A0That really shouldn't be a factor, unless all those on the
> >> road are in need of it as well. =A0Just install it and connect MSAccess=

> >> through and ODBC connection. =A0Should work quite nicely.
>
> >> --
> >> Galen Boyer
>
> > Thannks Galen. =A0Will the 9i client work ok?
>
> Should be. =A0Why not install it and give it a go? =A0You originally poste=
> on Dec 19th. =A0Its Dec 23rd. =A0You could have easily figured it all out =
by
> now. =A0The install should take a few moments. =A0Connections should take =
> few moments. =A0In an hour, you could have figured this out.
>
> --
> Galen Boyer

The reason I asked is I have no experience with Oracle so I do not
know if using the wrong client can damage the database.  I have many
things on my plate in life so it may be several more days before I can
actually try it.

Will using the wrong Oracle client damage the Oracle database?
TD

0
TD
12/23/2007 3:57:21 PM
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007, dlee@adsi-sc.com wrote:
> On Dec 23, 9:37�am, Galen Boyer <galen_bo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > Thannks Galen. �Will the 9i client work ok?
>>
>> Should be. �Why not install it and give it a go? �You originally
>> posted on Dec 19th. �Its Dec 23rd. �You could have easily figured it
>> all out by now. �The install should take a few moments. �Connections
>> should take a few moments. �In an hour, you could have figured this
>> out.
>>
>> --
>> Galen Boyer
>
> The reason I asked is I have no experience with Oracle so I do not
> know if using the wrong client can damage the database.  I have many
> things on my plate in life so it may be several more days before I can
> actually try it.
>
> Will using the wrong Oracle client damage the Oracle database?
> TD

Yes.  It is very dangerous to use the Oracle client against an Oracle
database.

--
Galen Boyer
0
>Will using the wrong Oracle client damage the Oracle database?

A server side process should reject incoming connections if there's
something wrong. Hence, the Oracle database service will reject
client connections it cannot work with or that send malformed
commands.

It should be safe to use the Oracle 9 client.

--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

0
Martijn
12/26/2007 8:01:00 PM
On Dec 26, 2:01=A0pm, "Martijn Tonies" <m.ton...@upscene.removethis.com>
wrote:
> >Will using the wrong Oracle client damage the Oracle database?
>
> A server side process should reject incoming connections if there's
> something wrong. Hence, the Oracle database service will reject
> client connections it cannot work with or that send malformed
> commands.
>
> It should be safe to use the Oracle 9 client.
>
> --
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL, NexusDB, Oracle =
&
> MS SQL Server
> Upscene Productionshttp://www.upscene.com
> My thoughts:http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
> Database development questions? Check the forum!http://www.databasedevelop=
mentforum.com

Obviously someone didn't see the humour in Galen'scommentary.

Shame, I thought it quite amusing.  <g>

David Fitzjarrell
0
fitzjarrell
12/26/2007 8:34:26 PM
>Obviously someone didn't see the humour in Galen'scommentary.

Although I sometimes miss these things, I did find this one humorous :-)

>Shame, I thought it quite amusing.  <g>

I figured I should explain it in more detail to the OP.

--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

0
Martijn

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failove...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would lik...

which oracle client for aix 5.3 to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5/Win database ?
Hello, i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? Thank you, Bud On Jan 11, 2:24 pm, "Bud" <tulsa...@gmx.de> wrote: > Hello, > > i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. > > which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? > > Thank you, > > Bud I don't think there is one. 8.0.5 was desupported in the previous milennium and has never been available for 5.3, which didn't exist at that time. 9i doesn't connect t...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

What is the best way, via the internet, to access a remote Microsoft Access database? I was thinking of using VPN, but I thought that I would check here to see if there is a better way. Any suggestions? Thanks Do you mean remotely controlling an Access database, or linking tables over the internet? The first is doable, the second is a recipe for disaster. Remote Control: If your remote OS is Windows XP, you can use Remote Desktop (although only 1 person can access the PC at a time; this will change in the upcoming Service Pack for XP, but that may not help you now). Otherw...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database
Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? don't, bad idea. Jim "steveH" <sjharri@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:324e5dec.0311031243.6b07a00d@posting.google.com... > Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? ...

Connecting to Oracle 8.0.4 Database using 8.1.7 client
I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as clean as possible. Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. TIA Chris Kernaghan aka BoobBoo On 7 Jan 2003 04:41:39 -0800, chris_kernaghan@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote: >I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as >clean as possible. > >Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with >an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. > >TIA > >Chri...

MS Access to Oracle Database Conversion
Hi Access Gurus The MS Access DB (MS Access 2002 Database) which is currently serving as the backend Database to MS Access (MS Access 2002/XP) frontend needs to be converted to Oracle 8i Backend (With the frontend still being MS Access 2002). The Client is very particular about the conversion. Would appreciate if any suggestion can be given as to how to start and go ahead with conversion. Whether the Upsize Wizard used by MS Access can be used to better effect or any other tool is provided by Oracle (i have done MS SQL Server both by using MS Access Upsize Wizard and also by DTS). Any sugge...

Connecting to Oracle 8.0.4 Database using 8.1.7 client software
I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as clean as possible. Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. TIA Chris Kernaghan ...

update oracle database when ever changes are made in access database
Hi all, well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous process either changes made or not so what should i do. "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > Hi all, > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so e...

Oracle newbie
Appologies if this is a stupid question? Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a secondary means of access Not certain what you mean there. Do you mean that login information retained in the Internet Directory store would be retrieved by some application which would then connect to the target database with it? Definitely can be done. That's what it's for, among other things. Oracle has created products that do just this very thing. Some Oracle options depend on it. The Interne...

update database oracle 8.1.7 to oracle 9?
Hi How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. Please help me. Thanks Slawek slawek wrote: > Hi > > How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. > Please help me. Thanks > > > Slawek When you purchase the new version of Oracle it comes with an installation and migration manual. The details are in the manual. Basically install new version to new home Shutdown old database Restart using new ORACLE_HOME Run upgrade scripts There is a migration utility that pretty much automates this but we always perform the ta...

Using Oracle Developer with Oracle 8.1.7 database
Hi. I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current versions or Oracle Developer Suite? Thank you, El DoDo march...@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to su...

Access application dies connected to Oracle databases
If anyone has seen this before, please help. I work at a company that has an Access application front end attached to tables in an Oracle 10g backend. In order to run our application this way, the client workstation needs to have the Oracle client with the ODBC driver installed. When testing this with Oracle 9i, we found we had problems performing a specific action if the Oracle driver version was anything but a couple available from the Oracle website. Now we're seeing this behavior with Oracle 10g, and as I look at the Event Viewer, the error says the following: "Faulting applic...

Best way to convert SQL databases to Oracle?
We are having problems converting our SQL databases over to Oracle. We have tried the free application Oracle provides on their web site and also tried using DTS. What is the best way to easily get databases to convert over without much extra work? These databases are not very complex so I don't see why we are getting so many errors during the conversation process. migration assistant is probably your best bet. There is still manual intervention involved because not all types may match up properly. Also assistant will not rewrite stored TSQL code for you into PL/SQL, so you will have to ...

Unable to connect to Oracle 9i database via Oracle 6i Developer
I've successfully installed Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle Forms Developer and Forms Server 6i (Patch 2) on a stand-alone PC running on Windows XP Pro but cannot connect to my Oracle databases via Developer's various functions -- Graphics Builder, Query Builder, Schema Builder, Procedure Builder, and Translation Builder. As you know, these functions want to connect to a database but I get this error at the Connect screen: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name As info, the user name and password are fine for both Oracle 9i and Developer. Oracle 9i works fi...

Can we write trigger on Oracle Database level for abnormal loss of connection to database?
ORACLE: I want a trigger to get fired when my application=92s connection to the database gets disconnected abnormally. I plan to monitor the Server Name and its status in the =93 v$session=93 table. Can I write a trigger that gets fired when =93 v$session=93 table gets edited? How can I achieve it? Is there any other way to execute a stored procedure and perform some steps when a connection is lost to a database? Thanks... Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. shilpa wrote: > ORACLE: > > I want a trigger to get fired when my application�s connection to the > database gets disconnected abnormally. > > I plan to monitor the Server Name and its status in the � v$session� > table. > > Can I write a trigger that gets fired when � v$session� table gets > edited? How can I achieve it? > > Is there any other way to execute a stored procedure and perform some > steps when a connection is lost to a database? > > Thanks... > > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Look up SYSTEM EVENT TRIGGERS in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org and in the docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com. Consider the AFTER SERVERERROR and BEFORE LOGOFF triggers. -- Daniel A. Morgan Oracle Ace Director & Instructor University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:53:58 -0700 (PDT...

Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Folks, I was asked the following question today and decided to turn to your collective wisdom: Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE database on a different host? What tools would one need in order to accomplish the above? Regards Paul Christidis * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * Hi Paul, take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. http://...

Coverting/Exporting Ms Access databases to Oracle 9i?
Hi, Guys How can I condense or convert access databases to oracle 9i? I know you can import via comma delimited file, or text file but is there a new method in converting access db to oracle? Any insight would be great ?? Edward Edward Ascencio wrote: > Hi, Guys > > > > How can I condense or convert access databases to oracle 9i? > I know you can import via comma delimited file, or text file but is there a > new method in converting access db to oracle? > > Any insight would be great ?? How about using ODBC from Access to Oracle. Force object na...

username and password on Oracle connection string (jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:Port:dataBase)
Hi, Can an Oracle JDBC connection string take a username and password? The plain version of an Oracle connection string is username and password on Oracle connection string jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:Port:dataBase If it's possible to add username/password to that string, what is the prorper syntax? Thanks for your help. Wolfgang. "Wolfgang" <Mott@nospam.UNM.edu> wrote in message news:3f8330a6.24586984@nntp.ucsb.edu... > Hi, > > Can an Oracle JDBC connection string take a username and password? > The plain version of an Oracle connect...

Web resources about - Best way to connect MS Access 2007 to Oracle 8 database? - comp.databases.oracle.misc

IObit Driver Booster debuts new fix-it tool, widens driver update database
... The update also includes various optimizations to improve user experience, performance and stability, plus widens the tool’s driver database ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...