exp error : ORA-00942: table or view does not exist on tables with lowercase names

When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
We get the following error(s):

EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
because there is too much code to change in the application :(.

This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
(apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
with too)

We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
with the installation?
Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
on paper and does nothing at all!

GX
0
mailme_gx
12/9/2003 11:01:05 AM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> We get the following error(s):
>
> EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
>
> We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
>
> This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> with too)
>
> We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> with the installation?
> Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> on paper and does nothing at all!
>
> GX

You don't say what version of 9i you're running, but at a guess you may need
to run catexp.sql if your catalog views are not installed.

BTW, there are other backup strategies apart from export, you don't need a
OMS to backup the DB.

0
Chris
12/9/2003 1:28:55 PM
Have you enclosed the table names with "? Like this:

"mytable"

instead of

mytable

"Chris" <cs123._no_spam_@telstra.com> wrote in message

> "GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> > exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> > We get the following error(s):
> >
> > EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> > ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> > EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> > EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> >
> > We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> > tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> > because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
> >
> > This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> > (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> > with too)
> >
> > We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> > export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> > with the installation?
> > Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> > on paper and does nothing at all!
> >
> > GX
>
> You don't say what version of 9i you're running, but at a guess you may
need
> to run catexp.sql if your catalog views are not installed.
>
> BTW, there are other backup strategies apart from export, you don't need a
> OMS to backup the DB.

0
Alan
12/9/2003 6:55:11 PM
"GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> We get the following error(s):
>
> EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
>
> We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
>
> This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> with too)
>
> We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> with the installation?
> Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> on paper and does nothing at all!
>
> GX
You cannot do it from the command line [as far as I know] but you can do it
using a PARFILE.  Inside the PARFILE you put an entry where the tablename is
quoted but you need to escape the quotes like this:

tables=\"abc\"

This works in 9.2 but I'm not sure about earlier versions of EXPort..

Cheers

0
Chris
12/9/2003 9:34:30 PM
"Chris O" <itoys1 -a t- optusnet -d o t- com -d o t- au> wrote in message
> "GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> > exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> > We get the following error(s):
> >
> > EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> > ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> > EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> > EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> >
> > We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> > tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> > because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
> >
> > This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> > (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> > with too)
> >
> > We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> > export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> > with the installation?
> > Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> > on paper and does nothing at all!
> >
> > GX
> You cannot do it from the command line [as far as I know] but you can do
it
> using a PARFILE.  Inside the PARFILE you put an entry where the tablename
is
> quoted but you need to escape the quotes like this:
>
> tables=\"abc\"
>
> This works in 9.2 but I'm not sure about earlier versions of EXPort..
>
> Cheers

I should add that if you are using the interactive form of EXPort then you
simply quote the table names.  That is the back-slashes are not required.

Cheers

0
Chris
12/9/2003 9:48:33 PM
Thanx for the reply(s)

The version of oracle is 9.2 with Patch p3095277_9204_WINNT installed.

I am trying to do a full export not just specific tables as this is
what I will be using for distribution and need schema and other
objects..

Thanks for the advice of running 'catexp.sql'.. but I dont know if
this hepls at all?? now I get another error:
.. exporting cluster definitions
EXP-00056: ORACLE error 31600 encountered
ORA-31600: invalid input value EMIT_SCHEMA for parameter NAME in
function SET_TRANSFORM_PARAM
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SYS_ERROR", line 105
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA_INT", line 3926
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA_INT", line 4050
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_METADATA", line 836
ORA-06512: at line 1
EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

The only error 'catexp.sql' gave was:
> CREATE ROLE exp_full_database
            *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01921: role name 'EXP_FULL_DATABASE' conflicts with another user
or role name

but this is pretty strait forward...

Did I break it?

GX

"Chris O" <itoys1 -a t- optusnet -d o t- com -d o t- au> wrote in message news:<3fd64332$0$1025$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Chris O" <itoys1 -a t- optusnet -d o t- com -d o t- au> wrote in message
> > "GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > When trying to do and export from command line e.g.
> > > exp userid=system@globaldb log=log.txt owner=rbs
> > > We get the following error(s):
> > >
> > > EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
> > > ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> > > EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
> > > EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> > >
> > > We are running Oracle 9i on win2k server...
> > > tables names were created in lowercase and this can not be avoided
> > > because there is too much code to change in the application :(.
> > >
> > > This is most frustrating because there is no other way to backup data
> > > (apart from backup which requires OMS which we are having problems
> > > with too)
> > >
> > > We have tried a simple test on another machine create a table "test1"
> > > export and import data and it works file. Is there something wrong
> > > with the installation?
> > > Or is Oracle a nice expensive tool that sits in the corner looks good
> > > on paper and does nothing at all!
> > >
> > > GX
> > You cannot do it from the command line [as far as I know] but you can do
>  it
> > using a PARFILE.  Inside the PARFILE you put an entry where the tablename
>  is
> > quoted but you need to escape the quotes like this:
> >
> > tables=\"abc\"
> >
> > This works in 9.2 but I'm not sure about earlier versions of EXPort..
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> I should add that if you are using the interactive form of EXPort then you
> simply quote the table names.  That is the back-slashes are not required.
>
> Cheers
0
mailme_gx
12/10/2003 11:07:24 AM
> Thanx for the reply(s)
>
> The version of oracle is 9.2 with Patch p3095277_9204_WINNT installed.
If you have upgraded the DB then you should have run catpatch.sql, which I
suspect you haven't.
If you created a DB after patching but used the preconfigured DB you'll be
in the same situation.

You'll have to shutdown the DB and startup migrate then run catpatch.sql.

0
Chris
12/10/2003 12:01:25 PM
Thank you Chriss

You were a great help.

I ran the catpatch.sql its seems to have got stuck in some sort of
loop because it took forever to run and the output seemd to have a
similar pattern. Eventaly after 2 hrs I gave up and aborted it.

Export works fine now

Regards
GX

"Chris" <cs123._no_spam_@telstra.com> wrote in message news:<pWDBb.47435$aT.21467@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> "GX" <mailme_gx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanx for the reply(s)
> >
> > The version of oracle is 9.2 with Patch p3095277_9204_WINNT installed.
> If you have upgraded the DB then you should have run catpatch.sql, which I
> suspect you haven't.
> If you created a DB after patching but used the preconfigured DB you'll be
> in the same situation.
>
> You'll have to shutdown the DB and startup migrate then run catpatch.sql.
0
mailme_gx

OWB gives ora-00942: table or view does not exist EVEN if the table exist
hI, I am trying to do a simple deployment of a .pls to the Oracle database using OWB but gets the above error. The table concered is however there in the schema. Why is this? Can't proceed beyond this! Thanks & Regards, fRANCIS -- Posted via http://dbforums.com ...

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist when updating recordset using Oracle ODBC
Hi! We are moving from Microsoft ODBC driver to Oracle 9.2 ODBC driver on an existing VB6 application using RDO. The only problem we get is when updating a recordset if the schema owner + tablename > 30 characters. The table name is 25 chars long. The problem is we must include the schema owner due to security. It's no problem to create a recordset on the same table and just step through the result. One workaround is the change all statements to ( INSERT INTO ... ) but it's a lot of code. rs.AddNew rs!.... = xxx rs.Update => ORA-00942: table or view does not exis...

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
SVRMGR> @alter_table_prod.sql ALTER TABLE MYTABLE_NAME * ORA-00942: table or view does not exist ALTER TABLE MYTABLE_NAME ADD (FIELD1 VARCHAR2(1), FIELD2 DATE, FIELD3 DATE, FIELD4 DATE, ); i found out that i have 2 owners to MYTABLE_NAME. And i need to specify the owner as in MYOWNER.MYTABLE_NAME in my "alter statement" before it can work? Also, can i do this during operation hours which meant that others are accessing this table? On 30 Dec 2004 00:46:25 -0800, yls177@hotmail.com (yls177) wrote: >SVRMGR> @alter_table_prod.sql >ALTER TABLE MYTABLE_NAME >* >ORA-...

TABLES TABLES TABLES
How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on table lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup tables pre- date SQL). Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables. This made the student apoplectic. Words of wisdom most welcome!!! Thanks, Howard sasbum@AOL.COM wrote: >How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of >TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on table >lookup methods - and lookup tables in partic...

Error: -2147217865 Table or View does not exist in Oracle 9i
Hi team, We have two schemas SLT5 and SLT6 in oracle 9i database. In both the schema, we have two users TESTA and TESTB. Our application is logging in using TESTA credentials in both the schemas and trying to access the tables owned by TESTB. The problem is that, when we run the application connecting to SLT5 schema. It is working fine. When tried connecting to SLT6 schema. It gives an error "Table or View does not exist" in a select query. We compare all the privileges in SLT5 and SLT6 schemas for both the users (specifically TESTA user). All found same. But we did not get any re...

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist for v$session.
Hi all, Not as dramatic as the subject heading suggests fortunately! I have a function within a shell script 'kill_session' (below) which queries the v$session table. However, when I run the script I get this error message: Connected. select 'ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION '''||sid||','||serial#||''';' from v where schemaname = upper('film') * ERROR at line 1: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist function kill_session { /opt/ora/oracle/product/9.2.0/db_1/bin/sqlplus -s /nolog<<EOF @/home/oracle/system_conn.sql set head off set feed off set verify off set define off set scan off set serveroutput on spool ${WK_DIR}kill_${schema}_sessions.sql select 'ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION '''||sid||','||serial#||''';' from v $session where schemaname = upper('${schema}'); spool off exit EOF } I would be ever so grateful if someone could help me out with this one please. Many thanks tb3101 "trub3101" <trub3101@sky.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 8a604fd7-8ed9-4f93-b242-a5fda52caa98@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... | Hi all, | | Not as dramatic as the subject heading suggests fortunately! | | I have a function within a shell script 'kill_session' (below) which | queries the v$session table. However, when I run the script I get this | error message: | | Connected. | select 'ALTER SYSTEM KILL SE...

NewBie : Create new table based on table names existing in tables-tab
Hi, is it possible, besides COM such as VB, to create a new table or query that shows up all the names of the existing tables ??? i.e. tables-tab view contains TblTableA TblTableB TblTableC TblTableD ..... query would be QryWhatIssTablesCol [tableNames] TblTableA TblTableB TblTableC TblTableD thanks so far RJ -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Ar Johnson via AccessMonster.com wrote: > Hi, > > is it possible, besides COM such as VB, to create a new table or query that shows up all the names of the existing tables ??? > i.e. > > tables-tab view contai...

sqlldr direct load: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
Hi, I am trying to use sqlldr's direct=t feature, but I get the following errors while loading. sqlldr userid=xxx/yyy@db02 control=file.ctl direct=y SQL*Loader-951: Error calling once/load initialization ORA-00942: table or view does not exist If I don't use direct=y, the sqlldr command works. ( sqlldr userid=xxx/yyy@db02 control=file.ctl ). I have been trying to find a solution for this question on the google groups, but I don't find anyone answering this question. I am doing append in the control file. And the table to which I am loading is empty. Can someon...

sqlldr direct load: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist #2
Hi, I am trying to use sqlldr's direct=t featuer, but I get the following errors while loading. sqlldr userid=xxx/yyy@db02 control=file.ctl direct=y SQL*Loader-951: Error calling once/load initialization ORA-00942: table or view does not exist If I don't use direct=y, the sqlldr command works. ( sqlldr userid=xxx/yyy@db02 control=file.ctl ). I have been trying to find a solution for this question on the google groups, but I don't find anyone answering this question. I am doing append in the control file. And the table to which I am loading is empty. Can someon...

sqlldr direct load: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
Can someone help me with this problem? I had started a thread earlier but after a few replies i am not getting more response. Please help... Link to my old thread (that describes the problem): http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.tools/browse_thread/thread/8768d163938f8c2b?hl=en Thank you in advance, Dina On 13 Jun 2006 09:57:21 -0700, sulakhe@gmail.com wrote: >Can someone help me with this problem? I had started a thread earlier >but after a few replies i am not getting more response. Please help... > >Link to my old thread (that describes the ...

EJBException, causedBy: javax.ejb.FinderException: Find failed: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
EJBException, causedBy:javax.ejb.FinderException: Find failed: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist I get this error when I try to access (read) the table through an entity bean (CMP). I am using Jboss 3.2.2 and CMP 2.x and xdoclet tags to generate the code. When I check the jbosscmp-jdbc.xml, I am not seeing "<table-name>" tag. But I have @ejb.persistence table-name="GROUP_NAME" @jboss.persistence table-name="GROUP_NAME" as tags defined in the code. Please help! Thanks in advance! psamuel psamuel schrieb:...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES
sasbum@AOL.COM wrote: >How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of >TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on table >lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup tables >pre- >date SQL). Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables. This made the >student apoplectic. I find a visual works well here. If you show a grid with rows and columns, then you can show a picture of a SAS data set and a SQL table and a lookup table, and show that (regardless of terminology and buzzwords) they're all pr...

Table of tables
Given t = {{{-1, -1, -2+2I}, {-1, -1, 3-I}}, {{-1, -1, 4+I}, {-1, -1, -5-5I}}}; how can I extract the imaginary part of the complex elements to obtain {{{-1, -1, 2}, {-1, -1, -1}}, {{-1, -1, 1}, {-1, -1, -5}}}; thank you. Luiz Melo -- On Oct 20, 1:07 am, Luiz Melo <luiz.m...@polymtl.ca> wrote: > Given > > t = {{{-1, -1, -2+2I}, {-1, -1, 3-I}}, {{-1, -1, 4+I}, {-1, -1, -5-5I}}}; > > how can I extract the imaginary part of the complex elements to obtain > > {{{-1, -1, 2}, {-1, -1, -1}}, {{-1, -1, 1}, {-1, -1, -5}}}; > > thank yo...

From table to table....
I want to create a new table containing only the results from a select statement of another table. How is that done? select a, b, c into destTable from sourceTable where a='x' or a='y' or a='z'; Does one have to create the destTable or is it created for you with the correct structure? Can the rows of one table be used in the select of another table? eg: The above select statement has three choices. could those 'choices' have been rows of a column of a table? On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 10:29:45 -0800 (PST), SpreadTooThin wrote: > I want to create a new table co...

Database, Table Names are resulting in lowercase
Hi All, We have postgresql running in mac. I found whatever db objects i create from the sql prompt results in lowercase. Can anyone tell me why it is happening.? does postgres stores the db objects in lowercase internally.. If i create something from the shell prompt it remains in the same case i used. Can anyone tell me what is the case limitations we have in postgres for db,table,column names,etc. Thanks Priya __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail ---------------------------(en...

Database, Table Names are resulting in lowercase
Hi All, We have postgresql running in mac. I found whatever db objects i create from the sql prompt results in lowercase. Can anyone tell me why it is happening.? does postgres stores the db objects in lowercase internally.. If i create something from the shell prompt it remains in the same case i used. Can anyone tell me what is the case limitations we have in postgres for db,table,column names,etc. Thanks Priya __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail ---------------------------(en...

ODBC to Oracle (table or view does not exist)
I've reached the limit of my knowledge here and I'm starting to go mad - any help would be greatfully recieved!!!! I'm having a strange problem with making pass through queries to an oracle db with a permament connection string. - if i create the passthrough query by writing the sql into the sql builder window and selecting the connection details on opening the query then everything works fine - if i run the query in SQL*Plus with the same login details everything works - if i create an ado rst using the same connection details it works fine However if i create the query and s...

View Vs Table of base tables of view
Hi, I have 3 tables x,y,z all identical and indexed. 1) I create a view of x union y union z 2) I create table A containing data from x,y,z and index it the same way as x,y,z I would say option 2) is better with reg. to performance. Can anyone think of option 1) being better in any regards except space. Also how much 2) will benefit over 1) Also querying a view creates temp table, that might fill up the tempdb id x,y,z has millions of records. Is there a prevent this or atleast redirect the temptable to some other db. Appreciate ur thoughts. Thanks, DC In article &l...

Re: Newbie Questio.. Getting a Virtual address space full and global page table full error.. How to repair.? page table full error.. How to repair.? page table full error.. How to repair.?
On 5/21/05, David J Dachtera <djesys.nospam@comcast.net> wrote: > Bruce Cooke wrote: > > > > Hi > > I have a Vaxstation 4000 60, vms 5.5 , 2 rz23l hard drives , and when > > booting get the subject messages. The computer wont boot into dec windo= ws, > > so the only way in is thru the DCL sysboot menu.I know there are spare > > blocks on the boot drive but have no idea how to fix no virtual address > > space error Any one > > here know how to solve this? >=20 > Well, Peter suggested AUTOGEN. If you don't know what that is, I...

How to get database metadata information (i.e. existing tables and columns in tables)
Hi, Is it possible to retrieve details about the database, specifically a list of the tables in the database; and then to retrieve the columns and their types for the tables? Is this dependant on the database? Thanks Chris Chris Brat wrote: > Is it possible to retrieve details about the database, specifically a > list of the tables in the database; and then to retrieve the columns > and their types for the tables? Yes. > Is this dependant on the database? Yes. Real databases usually store meta-data (list of tables, list of columns, list of indexes aso...) in system tab...

can I export tables so that existing tables in destination database will be modified?
I'm working on an ASP.Net project where I want to test code on a local machine using a local database as a back-end, and then export it to the production machine where it uses the hosting provider's SQL Server database on the back-end. Is there a way to export tables from one SQL Server database to another in such a way that if a table already exists in the destination database, it will be updated to reflect the changes to the local table, without existing data in the destination table being lost? e.g. suppose I change some tables in my local database by adding new fields. Can I &qu...

Accessing an Oracle table (or view) with a $-sign in its name
Dear All normally I extract a table/view like below: libname Argus oracle SCHEMA=G001SCHEMA ORACLE_73_OR_ABOVE=YES READ_LOCK_TYPE=NOLOCK user=YYYYYY password=XXXXXX path='ZZZZZZ'; libname her8 v8 '.' shortfileext; data her8.Data_From_Oracle; set argus.U$CASE_ACTIONS; run; And - it works beautifully ;-) But not with the view "U$CASE_ACTIONS" (shown above) as it seems that SAS do not like the $-sign in the view name. Changing the name of the Oracle view is NOT an option. Any good ideas ?? Kind Regards, Erik M R Hi, have you tried : options VALIDVARNAME=ANY;...

'Table or view does not exist' error
Hello all, I'm using VB6, ADO, and Oracle 8.1.6, ComponentOne TrueDBGrid7 and I'm having a problem updating from a grid source... I can connect to the database, and run a SQL statement on a table i.e.: select FIELD1 from TABLE1 where COND1 = 'T' There is a public synonym on TABLE1. I can write SQL statements to insert, update, delete, select on TABLE1 without qualifying the owner with no problem. However, when I'm using the grid with the above select statement, and get my result set, when I change a value on a row, then click off the row to update I get the oracle err...

RE: How to get database metadata information (i.e. existing tables andcolumns in tables)
[Chris=20Brat] |=20Is=20it=20possible=20to=20retrieve=20details=20about=20the=20database,= =20specifically=20a |=20list=20of=20the=20tables=20in=20the=20database;=20and=20then=20to=20re= trieve=20the=20columns |=20and=20their=20types=20for=20the=20tables? |=20 |=20Is=20this=20dependant=20on=20the=20database?=20 In=20effect=20it's=20dependent=20on=20the=20database.=20We're=20assuming=20= you're talking=20about=20a=20relational=20databases=20for=20a=20start,=20since=20= other databases=20don't=20necessarily=20even=20have=20tables.=20The=20major=20da= tabases may=20support=20the...

Web resources about - exp error : ORA-00942: table or view does not exist on tables with lowercase names - comp.databases.oracle.misc