help searching for oracles and Oracles and ORACLES

Hello Mark D Powell, Robert Klemme, Michael O'Shea, David FitzJarrell
and thank you for your help before.

I have a table called "table2" that has the following in it

id1      Description
 1       oracle oracle oracle oracle
 2       oracle school oracle school school school
 6       the school the party the oracle

How can I get SQL to get rows with Oracle or oracle (first letter is
upcase) or ORACLE

My SQL is

select * from table2 where description like '%oracle%' or description
like '%Oracle' or description like '%ORACLE%'

In access '%oracle%' works in upcase or lower case but in Oracle I
have to keep testing for all cases. The word might be oRaCLe but I
don't want to write them all.

How can I do this

Thank you

Jon
0
jharbour7
2/18/2008 9:44:31 PM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Hi Jon,

I would suggest the following:

       select * from table2 where instr(lower(description),'oracle') >
0;

lower will make all the characters in the description field lowercase
so you only need to test for lower case characters.

instr will return > 0 if it finds any occurance of the word 'oracle'

Hope this helps,
JolsJowels
2/19/2008 6:31:48 AM
On Feb 18, 3:44=A0pm, jharbo...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hello Mark D Powell, Robert Klemme, Michael O'Shea, David FitzJarrell
> and thank you for your help before.
>
> I have a table called "table2" that has the following in it
>
> id1 =A0 =A0 =A0Description
> =A01 =A0 =A0 =A0 oracle oracle oracle oracle
> =A02 =A0 =A0 =A0 oracle school oracle school school school
> =A06 =A0 =A0 =A0 the school the party the oracle
>
> How can I get SQL to get rows with Oracle or oracle (first letter is
> upcase) or ORACLE
>
> My SQL is
>
> select * from table2 where description like '%oracle%' or description
> like '%Oracle' or description like '%ORACLE%'
>
> In access '%oracle%' works in upcase or lower case but in Oracle I
> have to keep testing for all cases. The word might be oRaCLe but I
> don't want to write them all.
>
> How can I do this
>
> Thank you
>
> Jon

SQL> create table table2 (
  2  id  number,
  3  description varchar2(50));

Table created.

SQL> insert all
  2  into table2 values (1,'oracle oracle oracle oracle')
  3  into table2 values (2,'oracle school oracle school school
school')
  4  into table2 values (3, 'Oracle is the oracle for Oracle')
  5  into table2 values (4, 'OrAcLe is less of an oRACLE than oRaClE
ever was')
  6  into table2 values (5, 'well, gee, my duck needs new shoes')
  7  into table2 values (6,'the school the party the oracle')
  8  select * from dual
  9  /

6 rows created.

SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> select *
  2  from table2
  3  where instr(upper(description), 'ORACLE') > 0
  4  /

        ID DESCRIPTION
---------- --------------------------------------------------
         1 oracle oracle oracle oracle
         2 oracle school oracle school school school
         3 Oracle is the oracle for Oracle
         4 OrAcLe is less of an oRACLE than oRaClE ever was
         6 the school the party the oracle

SQL>

David Fitzjarrell
0
fitzjarrell

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

I am in the last stages of installing Oracle Server 10gR2 Enterprise Edition on a UNIX AIX server. When window "Execute Configuration Scripts" comes up it tells me to execute "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/root.sh". The ".../oracle/oracle/..." stops me cold. I look back in my notes and everything I wrote suggests I had entered ".../oracle/product/....." for my ORACLE_HOME. I look at the install log in /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs and see: "INFO: Setting variable 'ORACLE_HOME' to '/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/d...

Oracle Session Oracle Connection
Hi, I need a frank advice! please tell me the significant difference between an Oracle Session and an Oracle Connection? ManFis On Aug 21, 10:14=A0am, "Lanying & Manfred" <man...@t-online.de> wrote: > Hi, > > I need a frank advice! OK, learn to search the internet! > > please tell me the significant difference between an > Oracle Session and an Oracle Connection? http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=3D100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:56712= 84058977 jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Major opportunities..." http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontri...

establish oracle connectiviy with oracle
Respected Sir, I need the step by step procedure to establish oracle connectivity with java program (jdbc connectivity). Kindlt do the needful. Details: Table name :jay Oracle Version :8i ...

Oracle XE + Oracle 7
Hi... I have an application using Oracle XE Database and my I need to send information between Oracle XE and Oracle 7. I sucessfull connect with Oracle 7, but some problem with data type ocurring and my information doesn't go to Oracle 7. How I can correct this problem? Anybody have same problem? L=E9o C=F3rtex wrote: > Hi... > > I have an application using Oracle XE Database and my I need to send > information between Oracle XE and Oracle 7. I sucessfull connect with > Oracle 7, but some problem with data type ocurring and my information > doesn't go to Oracle 7...

Installing Oracle modules for oracle
Hi: Where do i get and how do I install what oracle modules on Sun Solaris Sparc and x86? Thanks, -Erick From CPAN... perldoc CPAN Erick Islam wrote: > Hi: > > Where do i get and how do I install what oracle modules on Sun Solaris > Sparc and x86? > > Thanks, > > -Erick -- Ron Reidy Oracle DBA ...

Oracle Developer with Oracle 9i
I have two questions: 1. Does Oracle9i IDS runs with Oracle9i Personal Edition? if so my second question: 2. On my workstation (Win2k P4 with 512MB RAM) i have first installed Oracle9i db (Personal Edition) in oracle_home OraHome92. Thereafter i installed Oracle9iDS Release 2 in a separate oracle home IDSHome. When installing Oracle products i have put IIS in disabled mode. Now when i launch from the menu: Oracle9i Developer Suite -> Reports Developer -> Reports Builder the Oracle9i Reports Developer splash screen launches but remains there without getting the applicat...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failove...

ORACLE RAC and ORACLE Standby
Hi, Please, could someone tell me, or maybe, indicate me some technical article discussing the differences between the ORACLE Standby and ORACLE Real Application Cluster, in terms of technical features. I also search for some technical comparison on how to chose one or another to best fit our needs. Thanks in advance! Best Regards Gabriel Gabriel, In general terms, standby is better for disaster recovery and RAC is more useful for high-availability and load balancing. Both configuration provide an ability to write a cold database server backup with taking any downtime on your primary da...

RDB is out. How about Oracle-Oracle ? And VMS ?
There's been a lot of talk about RDB going away, as Oracle will stop development for it. How about Oracle-Oracle ? Probably the same thing, but I did not read it clearly anywhere (other than it too runs on Itanium). This means no more support (or development, if you prefer) of VMS from Oracle. At all. A large number of VMS system out there exist because they are used as database servers. So how about the survival of VMS ? Up until now and despite all the vendors who dropped development on it, and the lack of marketing efforts, I tought it would survive at least for several years b...

Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hai ALL, I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle 10g? Regards Karthick T.S. "T.S. Karthick" <tskarthick@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114431653.917702.172310@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. > Seems to me they are bored and made it breakable aga...

Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases
I am proud to be able to tell that finally my book "Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases" is released. The book tries to fill the gap between the oracle manuals and the real world by providing real explanations and examples. see <http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-oracle-scheduler-in-oracle-11g- databases> for a detailed description of the book. Ronald. ...

Using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database
Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? don't, bad idea. Jim "steveH" <sjharri@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:324e5dec.0311031243.6b07a00d@posting.google.com... > Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? ...

Web resources about - help searching for oracles and Oracles and ORACLES - comp.databases.oracle.misc

Help:Searching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia has a search engine built in, which can be used to locate material on Wikipedia. The search box is located at the top right on every ...

Spotify Searching, Sharing, Stats Added To Musical Artists’ Facebook Pages
Musical artists tied in with Spotify are seeing some new features on their Facebook pages, including the ability by Facebook users to search ...

Facebook Searching For Ways to Break Into Mobile Apps
Today’s mobile panel at the Facebook f8 developer conference was notable for the subject it didn’t cover: Facebook itself. With four panelists ...

App Store - RyeBooks: Little Tadpoles Searching for Mommy -by Rye Studio™
Get RyeBooks: Little Tadpoles Searching for Mommy -by Rye Studio™ on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Searching for the color of moss VII - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore tillwe's photos on Flickr. tillwe has uploaded 11549 photos to Flickr.

Skinfan Does Minecraft - Episode 10: Searching for 1.3 - YouTube
Hello everyone! Welcome to Skinfan Does Minecraft. In this let's play series I build some things, show you some cool stuff in Minecraft, and ...

Police searching Willunga property of Dale McCauley, who disappeared in 1998 and is believed to have ...
POLICE are searching a Willunga house, and a dam at a nearby property, over the disappearance and suspected murder of a man 17 years ago.

Tim Winton's Palm Sunday plea: Start the soul-searching and stop turning back the boats
Palm Sunday commemorates the day an itinerant prophet spoke truth to power.

Triple J Hottest 100: The Presets searching for a new way to mark Australia Day
An alternative 100 great songs and a new national day were on the agenda for a radio station and one of Australia's biggest groups.

Three Swissport employees fired after allegedly searching Halifax airport luggage, fourth suspended
Three Swissport employees were fired Monday, shortly after the company was contacted by the RCMP.