I need to move oracle database from one to another server

Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio...
on left and hardware the same server on right

SUN server                SUN server
Solaris
Oracle database

And now.
Left server is working.
But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all
filesystems.
After that server and database were operating back for one month.
Now.
I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this
server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date.
I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server.
My idea is to do:
On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files,
redologs.
Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work"
for recent month to the second server:
dbf files
control files
and redo logs.

Then start new server on right?
Is it all I have to do?  Or I will meet any problems?
Regards

0
marqzik
10/8/2004 7:07:27 AM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote:

>Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio...
>on left and hardware the same server on right
>
>SUN server                SUN server
>Solaris
>Oracle database
>
>And now.
>Left server is working.
>But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all
>filesystems.
>After that server and database were operating back for one month.
>Now.
>I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this
>server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date.
>I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server.
>My idea is to do:
>On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files,
>redologs.
>Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work"
>for recent month to the second server:
>dbf files
>control files
>and redo logs.
>
>Then start new server on right?
>Is it all I have to do?  Or I will meet any problems?
>Regards

No
On the old server issue (prior to copying anything)
alter database backup control file to trace
This will result in a .trc file in your user_dump_dest directory
now shutdown immediate the old database
copy database files, redolog files and init.ora to new server.
Now copy trace file to new server.
Edit the file, adjusting filenames as necessary
Remove the comments and follow instructions in the file.

This procedure is called 'cloning a database' and it is published in
the manuals, and in this group.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0
"Sybrand Bakker" <sybrandb@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote:
>
> >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio...
> >on left and hardware the same server on right
> >
> >SUN server                SUN server
> >Solaris
> >Oracle database
> >
> >And now.
> >Left server is working.
> >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all
> >filesystems.
> >After that server and database were operating back for one month.
> >Now.
> >I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on
this
> >server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date.
> >I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server.
> >My idea is to do:
> >On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files,
> >redologs.
> >Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work"
> >for recent month to the second server:
> >dbf files
> >control files
> >and redo logs.
> >
> >Then start new server on right?
> >Is it all I have to do?  Or I will meet any problems?
> >Regards
> >

> No
> On the old server issue (prior to copying anything)
> alter database backup control file to trace
> This will result in a .trc file in your user_dump_dest directory
> now shutdown immediate the old database
> copy database files, redolog files and init.ora to new server.
> Now copy trace file to new server.
> Edit the file, adjusting filenames as necessary
> Remove the comments and follow instructions in the file.
>
> This procedure is called 'cloning a database' and it is published in
> the manuals, and in this group.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
Hm..
aha

0
marqzik
10/8/2004 8:15:27 AM
> On the old server issue (prior to copying anything)
> alter database backup control file to trace
> This will result in a .trc file in your user_dump_dest directory
> now shutdown immediate the old database
> copy database files, redolog files and init.ora to new server.
> Now copy trace file to new server.
> Edit the file, adjusting filenames as necessary
> Remove the comments and follow instructions in the file.
>
> This procedure is called 'cloning a database' and it is published in
> the manuals, and in this group.

Ok. Tell me" why it wouldn't work with just moving?

0
marqzik
10/8/2004 8:17:21 AM
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:17:21 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote:

>> On the old server issue (prior to copying anything)
>> alter database backup control file to trace
>> This will result in a .trc file in your user_dump_dest directory
>> now shutdown immediate the old database
>> copy database files, redolog files and init.ora to new server.
>> Now copy trace file to new server.
>> Edit the file, adjusting filenames as necessary
>> Remove the comments and follow instructions in the file.
>>
>> This procedure is called 'cloning a database' and it is published in
>> the manuals, and in this group.
>
>Ok. Tell me" why it wouldn't work with just moving?

If you don't change anything in the file configuration it might work.
However you need to make sure the controlfile
a) matches the actual configuration
b) the SCNs in the controlfile are in sync with the datafiles

If you don't do that, the database won't start, and you need to
recover.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0
Sybrand
10/8/2004 10:05:24 AM
> If you don't do that, the database won't start, and you need to
> recover.

I want to point again :)
The new server will be recovered from "cold" backup of all filesystems (from
second server)
So all files will be the same as on the second server before one month.
During this time nothing has been changed!
So we think that after we stop oracle on the old server we need move to the
new one only:
dbf files and controll files
(what abaut redo logs?)
Anything else?
Marcin

0
marqzik

moving oracle database 9 from another computer to another one
hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another computer to another one, and i need also to place the database in the same directory in the new pc as it was in the old pc. what is the best way to do this? please try to explain point by point. thank you! "noumian" <n.noumia@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1e751a0c-d5ca-4f2c-a126-d97ad842da61@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. > i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another compu...

How to move Oracle Express 10 database form one machine to another one.
It seems the backup and restore method does not work. On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:54 -0700, Amber wrote: > It seems the backup and restore method does not work. Have you tried bioenery methods or just beaming the database up? -- Mladen Gogala http://mgogala.byethost5.com On Apr 17, 2:57=A0pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:54 -0700, Amber wrote: > > It seems the backup and restore method does not work. > > Have you tried bioenery methods or just beaming the database up? > > -- > Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.byethost5.com...

Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Do I need oracle database to use oracle developer suite?
I need to use oracle forms and have got oracle developer suite 10g which seems to contain the tools needed for this. But it does not seem to contain the actual oracle database, just development tools... Do I need to install a different product first? Or have I just not found the right option in developer suite? If I need to get the database, what exactly do I need? I believe I can use the developer license for the work I need to do. Thanks for any help, John Burton "John Burton" <john.burton@jbmail.com> wrote in message news:chpd22$hh6@odbk17.prod.google.c...

moving a database from one server to another.
NT 4.0, IDS 7.3 Hi all I'm moving a small database (4gb) from one server to another as a favour to a mate. I'm savvy with IDS on Unix but have never used it on Windows. The database doesn't have any blobs. And the source and target operating systems and Informix versions are identical. The target machine has much more disk and memory. Looking through the manual it looks a little different to Unix. May I ask you a few questions? (Pardon my ignorance in advance). Should I use onunload/ onload or dbexport/dbimport? Do I need to run these commands through a comm...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

Re: Do I need oracle database to use oracle developer suite?
Thanks for the fast rely. I can always uninstall the tools and reinstall them afterwards if necessary "John Burton" <john.burton@jbmail.com> wrote in message news:chpe1m$jfc@odbk17.prod.google.com... > Thanks for the fast rely. > I can always uninstall the tools and reinstall them afterwards if > necessary yes more or less, but sometimes there are situations where you may expirience problems. install database in separate home for a start, might work without uninst. ...

Copy data from one oracle database to another
Hello, I have 2 oracle instance. I need to copy approx 80-90 thousand records from one oracle database to another on a daily basis. The table structure is different for both the database. But the mapping for column from a table in database1 to column in database2 is going to remain constant. The databases are in the same network but may be on different machines. So I need to know what is the fastest and reliable way do that. The one way I can think is about Oracle Link between database. But I have never done this before and not sure how efficient is this ? Can anyone suggest or advise? Thanks in Advance. Kapil Kapil wrote: > Hello, > > I have 2 oracle instance. I need to copy approx 80-90 thousand records > from one oracle database to another on a daily basis. The table > structure is different for both the database. But the mapping for > column from a table in database1 to column in database2 is going to > remain constant. > The databases are in the same network but may be on different machines. > So I need to know what is the fastest and reliable way do that. > > The one way I can think is about Oracle Link between database. But I > have never done this before and not sure how efficient is this ? > > Can anyone suggest or advise? > Thanks in Advance. > > Kapil If 10g use Change Data Capture or write an external table. You can find demos of both in Morgan's Library at www....

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, kee...

RE: moving a database from one server to another.
How is the machine currently being archived? Have you considered just doing a straight restore from an archive? Same OS/same IDS disks set up the same so same chunks available. Unless you have very good reason to need to reorganise the data this appears to cry out for a quick and simple ontape -r. Keith -> -----Original Message----- -> From: spamfreeemail@despammed.com -> [mailto:spamfreeemail@despammed.com] -> Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:50 PM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: moving a database from one server to another. -> -> ->...

Move Oracle 10g database to another location
Hello, I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC. I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and all works. Now I would transfer the database to another PC that is nomore testing, but working installation. I should be glad if you could suggest best way to do this. Kind regards. Selt wrote: > Hello, > > I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC. > I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and all works. > Now I would transfer the database to another PC that is nomore testing, > but working ins...

checklist for moving a database from one server to another?
Hi all. I know that since you know nothing about my database it will be a stretch to answer this - but does anyone have a boiler plate checklist for moving a database, dts packages, agent jobs, etc...from one server to another? Maybe something that just says I should at least do x,y,z. Also if anyone out there has any hard won experience/advice about gotchas when doing this I would love to hear it. We have outgrown a server and are installing a new one this week that we need to move over to. Thanks! Hi This has all you need!! http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314546...

Oracle management server with only one database going to 9i
We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I have done some research into Oracle Management server. I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will only be monitoring one database, possible two. The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that fact that I can use RMAN for backup, but the real reason was using it for event monitoring. We do not have the man power to continuely look at the alert log, an...

how to export public synonyms from one to another oracle database
I need to export public synonyms from one to another oracle database. Since public synonyms are logical objects and owner 'PUBLIC' is also logical a can't export those owner through exp/imp utility.. example exp system/manager@pro.proliant from user = <public> file=public_synonims.dmp any idea??? Tom wrote: > I need to export public synonyms from one to another oracle database. > > Since public synonyms are logical objects and owner 'PUBLIC' is also logical > a can't export those > owner through exp/imp utility.. > example > exp system/manager@pro.proliant from user = <public> > file=public_synonims.dmp > > any idea??? > > Don't - create a script instead. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel And script looks like??? can you please write some example? "Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel@netscape.net> wrote in message news:cvcag5$iit$2@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl... > Don't - create a script instead. On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:50:17 +0100, Tom wrote: > > And script looks like??? > can you please write some example? Use the following steps to get an example: 1) start a browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox 2) in the URL are, enter: http://www.google.com 3) in the text box enter: "oracle script to export public synonyms" 4) in the results page, select the first displayed link Use the skills ...

Moving Progress database from one SCO server to another.
Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an old SCO 5.0.4 server running a warehouse/distribution app using Progress. They have a newer server on which they have installed SCO 5.0.7 and copied the Progress files over. They say they can open the Progress application on the new server, but if they try to input data, it freezes. Is it possible to simply copy Progress over like that and expect it to work? If so, then maybe this is a permissions problem? TIA Al AB typed (on Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:03:57PM -0700): | Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an...

How to move database from one server to another? ACL problem
I moved a databese from one server (lotus 5) to another (Lotus 6). I did it simply by copying a file. On a New Server I can't manage ACL. What should I do? The best solution will be to how to do it without access to a old server? Before you move a database anywhere you first setup the ACL to match the target situation, then move it. Not the other way around. Other considerations are reader/author fields. You must consider these also if they are used. John Aylmer "Michael" <azmk@gazeta.pl> wrote in message news:c08cbd4f.0308010159.523a2e6e@posting.google.com.....

Another one bites the dust: Oracle buys Sleepycat Database
http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/software/story/0,10801,108680,00.html Pointed out first on the Informix usenet group where they are watching a great product, first marginalized, now suffering the death of a thousand paper-cuts. -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) DA Morgan <damorgan@psoug.org> wrote: > http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/software/story/0,10801,108680,00.html Is Oracle trying to take over the world? Laurenz Albe Laurenz Albe wrote: > DA Morgan <damorgan@psoug.org> ...

why do we need to shutdown database or application server to backup Oracle Home?
Dear Group, We are using Oracle 10g on Linux. While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log files. Any explanations will be highly appreciated. Thanks On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:52:16 -0700, cs3526 wrote: > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, Reading...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

Web resources about - I need to move oracle database from one to another server - comp.databases.oracle.misc

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

IObit Driver Booster debuts new fix-it tool, widens driver update database
... The update also includes various optimizations to improve user experience, performance and stability, plus widens the tool’s driver database ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...