Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle

Hi,

Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle?
Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no
stored procedures?

thanks,

Ellie

comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

E Sullivan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle?
> Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no
> stored procedures?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ellie

What do you mean by "import"?

If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader.
Yes.

But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and
autonumbering columns do not exist.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
2/24/2004 4:13:39 PM
Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering
columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect
autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds
like.

thanks again.

E Sullivan wrote:

> Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering
> columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect
> autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds
> like.
>
> thanks again.

You can indeed. Just make the columns a NUMBER type as in:

CREATE TABLE t (
old_autonumbering_col NUMBER,
....);

--