Is v$session available to SYS only?

Is this statement only for SYS (oracle 9i):

select * from v$session;

The SQL Reference doesnt mention this restriction so I just want to double
confirm this.

0
dd
4/5/2005 11:17:29 PM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"dd" <dd@dd.com> wrote in message news:42531c92$1_2@rain.i-cable.com...
> Is this statement only for SYS (oracle 9i):
>
> select * from v$session;
>
> The SQL Reference doesnt mention this restriction so I just want to double
> confirm this.

if you have permission to access it you can see it (i.e granted select on
it)

0
Dave
4/5/2005 11:32:12 PM
Thx Dave,

But how do we grant on v$session?

grant select on v$session to user;

complains it is not a fixed table/view!

> if you have permission to access it you can see it (i.e granted select on
> it)

0
asktom
4/5/2005 11:45:15 PM
dd wrote:
> Is this statement only for SYS (oracle 9i):
>
> select * from v$session;
>
> The SQL Reference doesnt mention this restriction so I just want to
double
> confirm this.

v$session is actually a synonym for v_$session view. You don't grant
permissions on synonyms but objects that they represent.

SELECT on v_$session view is by default ONLY granted to sys and system
either directly or via select_catalog_role or dba role.

Regards
/Rauf

0
Rauf

remote sessions (database link, v$session)...
Hi! I have two databases: base01 and base02. base01 often queries base02 through a database link (e.g. : (from base01) select * from mytable@base02). One session is created on base01 and an other session is created on base02. (I know that by querying V$SESSION on both bases). I'd like to base02 to know the session_id of the session which was created on base01 while querying... A kind of table which could match : - the local SESSION_ID on base02 - the SESSION_ID of the session opened by base01 I don't see any columns/dynamic views which could allow me to join e.g. v$session@base01 et v$session@base02. Do you see any possibilities ???? Thanks ;) On 14 Dec 2005 10:49:42 -0800, idjeen@gmail.com wrote: >Do you see any possibilities ???? Yes, Create a second schema in base1, copy the schema from base2 and dump base2. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA IDJ, if I understand what you want it is for session A running on database A to be able to know what v$session.sid was created on database B to support the distributed transaction issued from A. Finding this from a third session on either database is one thing but if you want the information back in session A as definded above then I think you can test the following idea in more detail. The remote code will have to be a pl/sql code object (procedure, function, package) and will issue a call to dbms_transaction.local_transaction_id. It will then take the transactio...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Oracle 10g-Embedded Database available??
Does Embedded version of Database exist in Oracle 10g(like Solid Embedded Database)? If yes, I would like to know the impacts on the users' code, if we move from Oracle 10g normal RDBMS to the Oracle 10g embedded database. What are the adaptations necessary? I think that you're referring to licensing issues, meaning an application specific limited use or application specific full use license. Check with your Oracle salesperson. I'd direct you to the licensing guide, but store.oracle.com is apparently offline for maintenance. -bdbafh bdbafh@gmail.com wrote: > I think that y...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

Oracle 11g and v$session information
Hi, I have a (Java) application that supplies the application information by setting connection properties to populate the v$session stuff using connection properties <http://download.oracle.com/otn/utilities_drivers/jdbc/111060/doc/javadoc/oracle/jdbc/OracleConnection.html#CONNECTION_PROPERTY_THIN_VSESSION_PROGRAM> This has been working fine with version 8,9 and 10. When using that application with an Oracle 11g database the connection fails with the error message: "Connection property format error: Property is 'v$session.program'" The value supplied for that pr...

oracle v$session equivalent in postgresql
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C4C311.5DA87D00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I'm looking for the equivalent in postgresql to the v$session variables in Oracle. In particular, I need to convert the following statement: select s.program, s.machine into :New.app_name,:New.comp_name from v$session s where s.audsid=userenv('SESSIONID'); Any help appreciated ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C4C311.5DA87D00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" ...

Sessions are not removed from v$session
Hi, When user works under Windows XP and application is terminated then session is removed from v$session. That's OK. But when user works under Vista and the same application is terminated then session is not removed from v$session. It is still present. How can I improve this behaviour? TIA Boguslaw Pazur Boguslaw Pazur schreef: > Hi, > > When user works under Windows XP and application is terminated then > session is removed from v$session. That's OK. > But when user works under Vista and the same application is terminated > then session is not removed from v$se...

Oracle Session Oracle Connection
Hi, I need a frank advice! please tell me the significant difference between an Oracle Session and an Oracle Connection? ManFis On Aug 21, 10:14=A0am, "Lanying & Manfred" <man...@t-online.de> wrote: > Hi, > > I need a frank advice! OK, learn to search the internet! > > please tell me the significant difference between an > Oracle Session and an Oracle Connection? http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=3D100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:56712= 84058977 jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Major opportunities..." http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontri...

killing sessions in v$session
select status, serial#, sid from v$session get the sid, serial# from v$session alter system kill session 'sid, serial#'; select status, serial#, sid from v$session but gives the status KILLED I understand that it could be doing rolling back and it could take a long time. Hence, i will monitor again and replied later. Cheers yls177 wrote: > select status, serial#, sid from v$session > > get the sid, serial# from v$session > > alter system kill session 'sid, serial#'; > > select status, serial#, sid from v$session but gives the status KILLED > ...

Oracle Database 10g SQL book now available
Oracle Database 10g SQL (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) by Jason Price, Lisa McClain McGraw-Hill This book takes you from novice to master, covering how to use the new Oracle Database 10g SQL and the Oracle extensions to SQL. The examples feature the sample schemas available with the new Oracle Database 10g. Free code will be made available for download. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072229810/qid=1078451791/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8717549-7012108?v=glance&s=books ...

Oracle Database 10g SQL book now available
Oracle Database 10g SQL (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) by Jason Price, Lisa McClain McGraw-Hill This book takes you from novice to master, covering how to use the new Oracle Database 10g SQL and the Oracle extensions to SQL. The examples feature the sample schemas available with the new Oracle Database 10g. Free code will be made available for download. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072229810/qid=1078451791/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8717549-7012108?v=glance&s=books ...

does oracle connection equal one row in v$sessions?
Hi. I am remotely debugging a multi-user (JDBC) application, connecting via the thin driver to Oracle. The customer is assuming that there is a one-to-one relationship between connections to the DBMS and rows in the V$SESSIONS, yet the applicaiton seems to think there are fewer connections than the rows in V$SESSIONS. Who is right here? thanks Joe Depending on your configuration, you could both be right. Are you using dedicated server connections or Shared Server connections? In dedicated server, there is a one-to-one correspondance. In a Shared Server configuration, there is a many-to-one ...

Oracle Database 10g SQL book now available
Oracle Database 10g SQL (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) by Jason Price, Lisa McClain McGraw-Hill This book takes you from novice to master, covering how to use the new Oracle Database 10g SQL and the Oracle extensions to SQL. The examples feature the sample schemas available with the new Oracle Database 10g. Free code will be made available for download. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072229810/qid=1078451791/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8717549-7012108?v=glance&s=books name wrote: > Oracle Database 10g SQL (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) > by Jason Price, Lisa McClain >...

ANNOUNCE: CGI::Session::Driver::oracle V 1.00
The pure Perl module CGI::Session::Driver::oracle V 1.00 is available immediately from CPAN, and from http://savage.net.au/Perl-modules.html. On-line docs, and a *.ppd for ActivePerl are also available from the latter site. This module allows you to use Oracle to store sessions managed by CGI::Session. ...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

Check if a database is available from another database
Hello, i'm new, so i want to ask you if you know how can i check if a database is available before i connect to it. I am using Oracle 7.3.4 on a UNIX machine, and i am using Oracle Forms 4.5. The situation goes as follows: I'm using Oracle Forms and i want at some point to chande my database connection to do some job. What i want is to check if the database is available before i connect to it. If it is available i continue, else a message will tell me that the database is not available. Can this be done using PL/SQL? If you have anything please tell me. Thanks. Marios Varna...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Tha...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a databas...

How to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle database?
Well,actually i need to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle database,but i don't know hot to do that, somebody can help me? Probably you are thinking that this doesn't makes sense, but I need to pass some info(each 3 months) from a Oracle database(a very large database) to a MySQL database (a lot smaller database). Thank you in advance. abelito_morelos@terra.com (The Magus) wrote in message news:<867afc1b.0401121252.7a7dfa67@posting.google.com>... > Well,actually i need to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle > database,but i don't know hot to d...

V$DATABASE.resetlogs_change# = V$LOGS_HISTORY.thread# ???
Hi, new to the group and relatively new to Oracle. So be nice. Can anyone tell me if the value held in the view, V$DATABASE, in field, resetlogs_change#, will always equate to the value held by the %t variable used in the init?????.ora files. (e.g. log_archive_format='%t_%s_alog.0001') Thanks On 29 Jan 2004 04:56:37 -0800, peck@tissoft.co.uk (paule) wrote: >Hi, >new to the group and relatively new to Oracle. So be nice. > >Can anyone tell me if the value held in the view, V$DATABASE, in >field, resetlogs_change#, will always equate to the value held by the >%t var...

Web resources about - Is v$session available to SYS only? - comp.databases.oracle.misc

Oracle Database 10g Performance Tuning Tips & Techniques
1 Oracle Database 10g New Features (DBA and Developer) - New Background Processes in 10g -

Full Disclosure: The history of a -probably- 13 years old Oracle bug: TNS Poison
Nmap Security Scanner Intro Ref Guide Install Guide Download Changelog Book Docs Security Lists Nmap Hackers Nmap Dev Bugtraq Full Disclosure ...