Oracle 10g - Display database data, edit it and write back to database

Hi!

I would like to find an application which allows me to read data from a
database (object-relational database schema), display it visually, make
it editable and offer me the opportunity to write changed data to the
database.

Does anyone have experience with Visio or some other tool?

Timo

0
timoomit
4/26/2006 10:05:07 AM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Toad is a good choice. Try google. You'll find it.

Umberto

0
Umbi
4/26/2006 10:39:51 AM
"timoomit" <timo.flad@octocon.de> wrote in message
: Hi!
:
: I would like to find an application which allows me to read data from a
: database (object-relational database schema), display it visually, make
: it editable and offer me the opportunity to write changed data to the
: database.
:
: Does anyone have experience with Visio or some other tool?
:
: Timo
:

Application Express (Formerly HTML-DB)

Comes with the database.

[++ mcs]

0
Mark
4/26/2006 11:48:51 AM
How about SQL Developer, available for free from Technet
(http://technet.oracle.com).

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba@nospam.peasland.net
http://www.peasland.net

Brian
4/26/2006 1:17:46 PM
"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba@nospam.peasland.net> wrote in message
: How about SQL Developer, available for free from Technet
: (http://technet.oracle.com).
:
: HTH,
: Brian
:
:
:

not ready for prime time -- they still got a lot of work to do on the
datagrid :(

++ mcs

0
Mark
4/26/2006 2:21:42 PM
> I would like to find an application which allows me to read data from a
> database (object-relational database schema), display it visually, make
> it editable and offer me the opportunity to write changed data to the
> database.
>
> Does anyone have experience with Visio or some other tool?
>
> Timo

You could even do it in MS ACCESS if you create an ODBC datasource.

0
RogBaker

I had a look at all mentioned applications and they seem to be not
exactly what I was looking for.
The objects in our database are business processes and what we want do
to do with them is to display them in diagrams and put the information
about them in some extra window you can open by double clicking on the
process symbol. Furthermore, business porcesses which are in relation
are supposed to have connecting lines between them.
That's why I was asking for an alternative to Visio which is not able
to display data itself but only the database schema as far as I know.
We would like to use Visio business process diagrams and their symbols
and link them with database objects.

Timo

0
timoomit
4/27/2006 8:09:19 AM
There are two examples on the net which offer the functuionality we are
looking for. However, they have their own database schema and we would
like to use the one we defined.
Examples:
VICON ViFlow, http://www.viflow.biz/
Dr. Binner SYCAT, http://www.sycat.de/ (only available in German)

Timo

0
timoomit
4/27/2006 8:24:18 AM
"timoomit" <timo.flad@octocon.de> wrote in message
: Hi,
:
: I had a look at all mentioned applications and they seem to be not
: exactly what I was looking for.
: The objects in our database are business processes and what we want do
: to do with them is to display them in diagrams and put the information
: about them in some extra window you can open by double clicking on the
: process symbol. Furthermore, business porcesses which are in relation
: are supposed to have connecting lines between them.
: That's why I was asking for an alternative to Visio which is not able
: to display data itself but only the database schema as far as I know.
: We would like to use Visio business process diagrams and their symbols
: and link them with database objects.
:
: Timo
:

that's a whole lot clearer than your first post...

you can embed links in visio diagrams and save them for the web under
various formats

these diagrams can then be integrated into an Apex application, or you can
use Oracle's PL/SQL Web Toolkit (mod_plsql) to write a totally custom
application.

this is the approach i took for a 'knowledge base' prototype recently

++ mcs

0
Mark

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features si...

How many times can we see the same request from someone who wants to access data from a 'pick' database through what has come to be 'standard' practices (odbc, oledb) and still get the same old sloppy ' buy this proprietary utility (and above all, my services)' answer. I think most of these pick flavors should have some sort of layer (by now!) to handle this; If someone needs to do this, the service is really 'education' i.e to show them how. Lets cut the shit now and stop with this tired and silly BS and sad marketing schlock. Regards, -Jim ...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failove...

Can we write trigger on Oracle Database level for abnormal loss of connection to database?
ORACLE: I want a trigger to get fired when my application=92s connection to the database gets disconnected abnormally. I plan to monitor the Server Name and its status in the =93 v$session=93 table. Can I write a trigger that gets fired when =93 v$session=93 table gets edited? How can I achieve it? Is there any other way to execute a stored procedure and perform some steps when a connection is lost to a database? Thanks... Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. shilpa wrote: > ORACLE: > > I want a trigger to get fired when my application�s connecti...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

Web resources about - Oracle 10g - Display database data, edit it and write back to database - comp.databases.oracle.misc

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...