Oracle error in java web service on Tomcat

I have a web service application installed on Tomcat 4.1.  When it
attempts to connect to the database, I get the "TNS:could not resolve
service name" error.  The service name is fine because I can TNSPing it
and connect through SQL*Plus.  My test environment works too.  My test
environment is running Oracle 9.2.0.5, but my production environment is
running 9.2.0.1.  I was able to recreate the error by copying the
<ORACLE_HOME>/lib/ folder from my production environment to my test
environment, so that seems to be where the problem lies.  I made sure
that I was using version 9.2.0.1 of the ojdbc14.jar drivers, but that
did not fix the problem.  The problem is that I cannot upgrade the
production environment to 9.2.0.5 because it might break the legacy
application that is running there now.  Is there a way that I can
include the my newer <ORACLE_HOME>/lib/folder in my WAR file or is
there a way that I can point my Oracle drivers to look for the needed
support files in another folder?  I need to do it in a way that
hopefully won't break the old application.  I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

0
PatrickRThomas
6/22/2006 8:09:52 PM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Nevermind, I figured it out.  I think it's a bug in 9.2.0.1.  It's not
reading the TNSNames.ora correctly.  I changed my configuration to
point to the first database defined in TNSNames.ora and everything
worked correctly.

PatrickRThomas@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have a web service application installed on Tomcat 4.1.  When it
> attempts to connect to the database, I get the "TNS:could not resolve
> service name" error.  The service name is fine because I can TNSPing it
> and connect through SQL*Plus.  My test environment works too.  My test
> environment is running Oracle 9.2.0.5, but my production environment is
> running 9.2.0.1.  I was able to recreate the error by copying the
> <ORACLE_HOME>/lib/ folder from my production environment to my test
> environment, so that seems to be where the problem lies.  I made sure
> that I was using version 9.2.0.1 of the ojdbc14.jar drivers, but that
> did not fix the problem.  The problem is that I cannot upgrade the
> production environment to 9.2.0.5 because it might break the legacy
> application that is running there now.  Is there a way that I can
> include the my newer <ORACLE_HOME>/lib/folder in my WAR file or is
> there a way that I can point my Oracle drivers to look for the needed
> support files in another folder?  I need to do it in a way that
> hopefully won't break the old application.  I hope that makes sense.
>
> Thanks.

0
PatrickRThomas
6/23/2006 12:31:12 AM
PatrickRThomas@hotmail.com wrote:
> Nevermind, I figured it out.  I think it's a bug in 9.2.0.1.  It's not
> reading the TNSNames.ora correctly.  I changed my configuration to
> point to the first database defined in TNSNames.ora and everything
> worked correctly.

It is a bit late to believe you have found an unresolved bug in 9i.
If it is a bug, and even if it isn't, there is no excuse for using
9.2.0.1. At a bare minimum you should be at 9.2.0.6.

Personally I am more inclined to think you had a syntax error.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

Web Services Implementation in Oracle 9i and Oracle 10G
I have read several articles on Web Services on TechNet. It is still not clear to me: 1. If I use Oracle9i EE on HP UNIX 11, do I have everything to deploy web services. Many articles on web services mention about Oracle9i AS OC4J containers. Does that mean I need Oracle9i AS (do I need to get a license for it) or OC4J containers can be downloaded (if not already available) with Oracle9i EE. 2. Same question for Oracle 10G, do I need Oracle10gAS for deployment. I know using Oracle Jdeveloper, it is easy to develop web services, but do I need anything from Developer to deploy a web service, ...

Oracle, PL/SQL and Web Services with Tomcat Tutorial
Is there any tutorial/documentation on building a ground up application using Oracle (10g) back end, where PL/SQL procedure are exposed as Web Services via Tomcat which are then called by a Java application/front end. I know this can be done (fairly easily) with JDeveloper and OC4J, but I want to try Tomcat. Alternatively, it is true that Web Services can be implemented/exposed directly inside the database with 11g, in a similar way as APEX on 11g doesn't require OHS? ...

"Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle" error when restarting application
Hi, we're using Oracle 10g, in combination with Delphi (7). Application uses Oracle client dll (oraociei10.dll). Quick explenation about the structure (All files are on the network): - A launcher application is started by the client. The launcher application checks an .ini file for the current application versie (.exe filename with a version postfix, e.g. "Application_112.exe"). The launcher starts the executable specified in the .ini file. In this way we can "release" by putting a new .exe file and updating the .ini file. The problem: In our application we've ...

Interfacing with MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web service with a digital certificate) using Oracle
Hello, Anyone worked with interfacing MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web service with a digital certificate) using Oracle ? Thanks Jiten CIT wrote: > > Hello, > > Anyone worked with interfacing MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web > service with a digital certificate) using Oracle ? > > Thanks > > Jiten Check out the messaging gateway (MGW) that comes with Oracle. It simply presents MQ queue as AQ queues. Its not spectacular, but seems to do the job. hth Connor -- Connor McDonald Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions" Co-...

Interfacing with MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web service with a digital certificate) using Oracle
Hello, Anyone worked with interfacing MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web service with a digital certificate) using Oracle ? Thanks Jiten Jiten wrote: > Hello, > > Anyone worked with interfacing MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web > service with a digital certificate) using Oracle ? > > Thanks > > Jiten I am currently implementing/designing an application that uses Oracle Messaging Gateway to interface with MQ Series. "Jiten" <g10shah@gmail.com> wrote in news:1140194338.940298.248540 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > Hello, > > Anyone worked with interfacing MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web > service with a digital certificate) using Oracle ? > > Thanks > > Jiten > > Hi, yes with MQ-Series (using ProC, MQ-Client installation under Solaris 2.9). What is the questions? Henner Question is : How to call MQ Series or Secured Web Service (web service with a digital certificate) using Oracle ? Any Oracle Messaging Gateway (MGW) documentation available online? I would like to understand how Oracle Messaging Gateway WORKS. Thanks Jiten Jiten wrote: > Any Oracle Messaging Gateway (MGW) documentation available online? > I would like to understand how Oracle Messaging Gateway WORKS. > > Thanks > Jiten Download the Oracle Advanced queuing guide for your database version. There is a chapter about configuring...

Interfacing with MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web service with a digital certificate) using Oracle
Hello, Anyone worked with interfacing MQ Series or Secured Web Service(web service with a digital certificate) using Oracle ? Thanks Jiten ...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

help searching for oracles and Oracles and ORACLES
Hello Mark D Powell, Robert Klemme, Michael O'Shea, David FitzJarrell and thank you for your help before. I have a table called "table2" that has the following in it id1 Description 1 oracle oracle oracle oracle 2 oracle school oracle school school school 6 the school the party the oracle How can I get SQL to get rows with Oracle or oracle (first letter is upcase) or ORACLE My SQL is select * from table2 where description like '%oracle%' or description like '%Oracle' or description like '%ORACLE%' In access '%oracle%' works in upcase or lower case but in Oracle I have to keep testing for all cases. The word might be oRaCLe but I don't want to write them all. How can I do this Thank you Jon Hi Jon, I would suggest the following: select * from table2 where instr(lower(description),'oracle') > 0; lower will make all the characters in the description field lowercase so you only need to test for lower case characters. instr will return > 0 if it finds any occurance of the word 'oracle' Hope this helps, C On Feb 18, 3:44=A0pm, jharbo...@googlemail.com wrote: > Hello Mark D Powell, Robert Klemme, Michael O'Shea, David FitzJarrell > and thank you for your help before. > > I have a table called "table2" that has the following in it > > id1 =A0 =A0 =A0Description > =A01 =A0 =A0...

Best way to check oracle database server / services is alive using Java
Hi, I am looking for the best way to check whether several oracle (or any database) databases is running or not. At the moment I just attempt to connect to the server IP using Socket and conclude the database is not running if connection timed out. Which is a silly way of doing it. Appreciate any help. Best regards. On Apr 3, 9:56 pm, harishas...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am looking for the best way to check whether several oracle (or any > database) databases is running or not. > At the moment I just attempt to connect to the server IP using Socket > and conclude...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each secti...

I would like to know if someone could help me with this topic, I'm traying to analize and chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show you what's there. If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) BD wrote: > >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server > > If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show > you what's ther...

writing in oracle database with java
Hi NG, i'm trying to create tables and to insert data into these tables using oracle.jdbc. (first a "create table" statement and then couple of "insert into" statements) There are no problems except for the last table. The table is created but the data is not inserted. This happens regardless of if i create 3,4,5 etc. tables with the last table. what am i doing wrong? Stefan Stefan Seidel wrote: > Hi NG, > > i'm trying to create tables and to insert data into these tables using > oracle.jdbc. > > (first a "c...

Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases
I am proud to be able to tell that finally my book "Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases" is released. The book tries to fill the gap between the oracle manuals and the real world by providing real explanations and examples. see <http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-oracle-scheduler-in-oracle-11g- databases> for a detailed description of the book. Ronald. ...

I am in the last stages of installing Oracle Server 10gR2 Enterprise Edition on a UNIX AIX server. When window "Execute Configuration Scripts" comes up it tells me to execute "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/root.sh". The ".../oracle/oracle/..." stops me cold. I look back in my notes and everything I wrote suggests I had entered ".../oracle/product/....." for my ORACLE_HOME. I look at the install log in /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs and see: "INFO: Setting variable 'ORACLE_HOME' to '/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/d...

Free Ebook Oracle Database & Oracle 9i
Free Ebook Oracle Database Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book http://www.downloadfreepdf.com On Mar 24, 6:53 am, "steveo" <selectcm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Free Ebook Oracle Database > > Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book > > http://www.downloadfreepdf.com It's all free over at http://tahiti.oracle.com also ...

Oracle login error from the web
I have been trying to solve a web login problem for a few weeks. There are two interfaces to the Oracle 8i database--client-server and web. The client-server interface has continued to function normally; however, a few weeks ago the web interface stopped working. Both interfaces are from Rational for their ClearQuest defect tracking software. I have been in frequent contact with Rational support, but they have been unable to solve the problem. The error when attempting to login via the web interface is: SQLDriverConnect: RETCODE=-1, State=;SQLN, Native Error=0 Any suggestions? Thanks, Tom K Tom Koenning wrote: > I have been trying to solve a web login problem for a few weeks. > There are two interfaces to the Oracle 8i database--client-server and > web. The client-server interface has continued to function normally; > however, a few weeks ago the web interface stopped working. Both > interfaces are from Rational for their ClearQuest defect tracking > software. I have been in frequent contact with Rational support, but > they have been unable to solve the problem. The error when attempting > to login via the web interface is: > > SQLDriverConnect: RETCODE=-1, State=;SQLN, Native Error=0 > > Any suggestions? If this is the only information available, You're On Your Own. What changed right before the web interface stopped working? "Anna C. Dent" <anacedent@hotmail.com> wr...

Using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database
Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? don't, bad idea. Jim "steveH" <sjharri@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:324e5dec.0311031243.6b07a00d@posting.google.com... > Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? ...

Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases
I am proud to be able to tell that finally my book "Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases" is released. The book tries to fill the gap between the oracle manuals and the real world by providing real explanations and examples. see <http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-oracle-scheduler-in-oracle-11g- databases> for a detailed description of the book. Ronald. ...

connecting to an oracle database... errors...
Im having a little bit of difficulty solving this simple error... I konw I have the URL correct, however I cannot connect to the Oracle 9 database. The error occurs on the line that I assign the connection (ConDB), Im a little lost, any help is appreciated! Thanks! ---- strURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@oradev.xxx.com:1521:dev.xxx.com"; strUser = "user" strPass = "pass" try { //register oracle driver DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver()); // DB logon ConDB = DriverManager.getConnection (strURL , strUser, strPass); ...

Java Oracle Database Development
Training Classes for Oracle10g, 9i, 8i Certification training in Oracle10g and 9i: DBA, Developer, Discoverer. training conducted at your location worldwide. Courseware licensing also available. http://a.uuload.com/Oracle-Database.htm Unlock the Value of Your IT System Confio Software's Ignite for Oracle uses wait-event analysis to improve database performance by 65% or more. Gain visibility of every Oracle wait event. Download free trial today. http://a.uuload.com/Oracle-Database.htm Oracle Database Training, Practice Tests Self Test Software offers dynamic practice tests, online training and study guides for Oracle, Microsoft, Cisco, CompTIA, Lotus, Sun, PMI, CISSP and more. Test pass guarantee. Free demos. http://a.uuload.com/Oracle-Database.htm LogiXML BI - Oracle Database LogiXML builds powerful business intelligence reporting and analytics tools that are easy to learn, use, deploy and maintain. Reporting solutions. http://a.uuload.com/Oracle-Database.htm Oracle Database Development WebDesignHouston.com - nationwide services. Affordable, high-quality Web design, Flash animation, database programming, B2B and e-commerce. Texas-based Internet consulting. http://a.uuload.com/Oracle-Database.htm Database Oracle Instant SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 and XML help from a large group of database professionals. Get how-to information, articles, scripts, tips, FAQs, online forums and more, updated daily. http://a.uuload.com/Oracle-Database.htm ...

[Oracle 9i Personal Edition] Start oracle database...
Hi, I've installed the Oracle 9i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 machine. I've choosed to install only the software and to skip the creation of a database during installation procedure. I've restarted the machine and I've made next step to create a database manually (following the "Oracle 9i Administration Guide": 1. I've created a Password File with the command orapwd in the $oracle_home directory The password I've choosed is "secret". 2. I've created an initialization file in the oradata directory with the name init$db_name.ora 3...

Web resources about - Oracle error in java web service on Tomcat - comp.databases.oracle.misc

Public Broadcasting Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... such as PBS NewsHour , Masterpiece , and Frontline . Since the mid-2000s, Roper polls commissioned by PBS have consistently placed the service ...

Ride-sharing service hopes to drive coach-and-four through government's Uber objections
... that carriage drivers can operate licence-free in Melbourne's CBD, takes whip hand to regulator and, perhaps, mulls own cart/horse service. ...

This Finnish Entrepreneur Has Taken His Waste Food Service To London and NYC
There's traffic in the foodtech scene – but who will the biggest food waste reducer of them all? Photo: Shutterstock BuffetGo service, which ...

Amazon begins to hand off last-mile delivery service to contract drivers
... the Amazon Flex program. Now, in Texas, Amazon is reportedly using those drivers for packages ordered through its regular, non-expedited services. ...

Postal Service explains why blood-stained mail was delivered
Agency apologizes to residents along an upstate New York mail route who received mail smudged with human blood

Monty Williams delivers inspiring message at wife's memorial service
Monty Williams shows forgiveness and compassion for driver that killed his wife.

This backup service proves the cloud is anything but soft [Deals]
It doesn’t matter how iron clad your external hard drive looks if the fragile disc inside it skips the wrong way or the motor putzes out, you’re ...

National Park Service Swears It Won’t Allow Any More Sexual Harassment
'I am committed to working to change the situation and keep similar situations from happening again'

Monty Williams Calls For Forgiveness In Powerful Speech At Wife’s Memorial Service
Much of the NBA travelled to Oklahoma City Thursday to attend the memorial service of Ingrid Williams—the wife of Thunder assistant Monty Williams— ...

Dan Kluger's Launching a Menu on Delivery Service Maple
... restaurant, Kluger says. Former ABC Kitchen Chef Dan Kluger is next in line to release a special menu for David Chang-backed delivery service ...