Oracle-to-SQL Server database link

Is anyone working with databases on both Oracle and SQL Server and using an
Oracle database link to successfully query a SQL Server database?  The
Oracle database is running under AIX.

It looks like the Oracle is working fine - database link is established -
but the response to querying the SQL Server database is

ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed

This appears to me to be possibly a situation where the SQL Server is not
'trusting' the Oracle machine to query its database.

I have checked to make sure that the port numbers on both sides are the same
(when differnet, the error message from Oracle was something to the effect
of NO Listener running).  So I believe that connectivity has been
established.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

0
Pam
10/12/2003 8:20:41 PM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying tha...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

SqlSpec
Do you wish you had comprehensive, easily navigable documentation for your SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, and Access databases? Are you a SQL Developer or DBA that just inherited a huge, complex database with no supporting docs and don't know where to start learning how it's put together? Are you an independent contractor working with SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, or Access? Your clients would LOVE you if you could provide comprehensive documentation about the databases you build. Are you a Project Manager who is tired of developers making chan...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www....

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v$database view sybrandb wrote: > dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > > in a oracle server? > > Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. > There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. > There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. > There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) > Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker > Senior Oracle DBA dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing > databases in a oracle server? Depends what you mean by "database" and "server". If "server" means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the Oracle instances ("databases"), on most ...

SQL Server performs a Query on an Oracle database
Hi, To start our warehouse proces we perform a Select with our ETL tool PowerMart on an Oracle database. This Select fetches 300000 recors within 3 minutes in a table during day time However; when we perform this operation at night when this Oracle database has just processed it's records it lasts an hour or more. The select is done to a linked server in uppercase like is adviced to do according to Books on Line and is a correct Select. Has anyone any idea what might be the case. It's probably a problem on the oracle side of our system but I hope somebody of you can give u...

Oracle Introduces Oracle(r) SQL Developer
Oracle Introduces Oracle(r) SQL Developer - Free, Database Development Tool REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. 13-MAR-2006 Oracle today announced the general availability of Oracle(r) SQL Developer (formerly code named Project Raptor), a new, free, database development tool. Designed for Oracle Database developers, Oracle SQL Developer simplifies development cycles and reduces the need to buy third-party tools for developing and debugging SQL and PL/SQL code. The introduction of this tool underscores Oracle's commitment to improving the productivity and supporting the needs of the database developmen...

Oracle Introduces Oracle(r) SQL Developer
Oracle Introduces Oracle(r) SQL Developer - Free, Database Development Tool Computers, REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. 13-MAR-2006 Oracle today announced the general availability of Oracle(r) SQL Developer (formerly code named Project Raptor), a new, free, database development tool. Designed for Oracle Database developers, Oracle SQL Developer simplifies development cycles and reduces the need to buy third-party tools for developing and debugging SQL and PL/SQL code. The introduction of this tool underscores Oracle's commitment to improving the productivity and supporting the needs of t...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. Regards Kevin "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, w...

Exporting MS SQL Server or Oracle Databases to MySQL
I also posted similarly in mailing.database.mysql I have created a rather large (60 table database) website dealio in PHP that works with MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and presumably any other data base I add to the wrapper functions that I created. All the development was done in Oracle, but now its time to create that large datastructure again in MySQL -- now I've built this all in notepad for Oracle (twice) and built it in SQL Server using the SQL Server import tools (pretty nice) -- is there anything that I can do that to get this datastructure and maybe even the data into MySQL using...

Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Folks, I was asked the following question today and decided to turn to your collective wisdom: Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE database on a different host? What tools would one need in order to accomplish the above? Regards Paul Christidis * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * Hi Paul, take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. http://...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

US-PA: Philadelphia-Oracle/SQL Server Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is a regional job board serving all industries and occupations in the PA, NJ, DE, NY, MD, and DC areas. We offer a regional job board, online learning, and regional job fair events for jobseekers who live in our areas of focus. To Learn More: Job Board: http://www.JobCircle.com?source=ng eLearning: http://www.JobCircle.com/courseware?source=ng Job Fairs: http://JobCircleJobFairs.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle/S...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

Database Wars: Oracle vs SQL Server Lock Escalation
I was at a conference and had it asserted to me by an Oracle afficiando that Oracle and DB2 handled low-level locks "better" than SQL Server, and that this was likely the cause of SQL Server's relatively slower and more deadlock-prone performance when running the same application. (SQL does seem to perform more poorly for this app, a PeopleSoft customer service and billing app.) Is there any significant difference in lock escalation strategies between major databases, and if so, what are the implications? Jeff Roughgarden, MSCD, MCDBA I'm surprised that Oracle dude had a g...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

> -----Original Message----- > From: Paul H. Christidis [mailto:phchristidis@raytheon.com] > Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 5:39 PM > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K > > > Folks, > > I was asked the following question today and decided to turn > to your collective wisdom: > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to > connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his > input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE > database on a differ...

Linked Server Error Between SQL Server and Oracle
I have used Linked Servers to hook up to an Oracle 9i database in SQL Server 2000. I can see all the Tables and Views when I look in the linked server section. I can also run the following SQL statement : Select * from Orcldb..SYSTEM.CrossTabSaveSites and get a return result. The problem I realize is that some of the tables are going to be quite larger and I can't wait for SQL Server to download all the data and parse it itself, so I tried to use a passthrough query like so : SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(OrclDB, 'SELECT * FROM SYSTEM.CrossTabSaveSites') Unfortunately this gives m...

Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will...

Web resources about - Oracle-to-SQL Server database link - comp.databases.oracle.misc