Using Oracle Developer with Oracle 8.1.7 database

Hi.

I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I
can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to
connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase.
Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current
versions or Oracle Developer Suite?

Thank you,
El DoDo

0
marchesa
1/18/2005 1:45:49 PM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

march...@units.it wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I
> can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have
> connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase.
> Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current
> versions or Oracle Developer Suite?
>
> Thank you,
> El DoDo

9i client is backward compatable to 8i. However, 10g is only backwards
compatable to certain 8i patchset. I can connect from 10g client to
8.1.7.4.1 but not to 8.1.7.0. Not sure about the in between patchsets
as I don't have them.

Regards
/Rauf

0
Rauf
1/18/2005 2:47:44 PM
marchesa@units.it wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I
> can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to
> connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase.
> Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current
> versions or Oracle Developer Suite?
>
> Thank you,
> El DoDo

Yes. Make sure you have patched the 8i database to make it as current
as possible.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

DA

Using Oracle 8.1.7 OCI JDBC Driver WIth Oracle 9i Database
Has anyone had any problems using the 8.1.7 OCI JDBC driver with a 9i database? Oracle states they are compatible at the following URL: http://otn.oracle.com/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_faq.htm#_1_ "Matt" <mdavey4@csc.com> wrote in message news:f2892d3a.0307241304.6295d05c@posting.google.com... > Has anyone had any problems using the 8.1.7 OCI JDBC driver with a 9i database? > > Oracle states they are compatible at the following URL: > http://otn.oracle.com/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_faq.htm#_1_ Any reason not to trust that statement? If ...

update database oracle 8.1.7 to oracle 9?
Hi How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. Please help me. Thanks Slawek slawek wrote: > Hi > > How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. > Please help me. Thanks > > > Slawek When you purchase the new version of Oracle it comes with an installation and migration manual. The details are in the manual. Basically install new version to new home Shutdown old database Restart using new ORACLE_HOME Run upgrade scripts There is a migration utility that pretty much automates this but we always perform the tasks manually. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:35:45 +0200, slawek <yazoo@hacking.pl> wrote: >How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96530/toc.htm -- Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool Uzytkownik "Andy Hassall" <andy@andyh.co.uk> napisal w wiadomosci news:60d0h2poie7f9f0omigqadl02lmsis8kee@4ax.com... > On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:35:45 +0200, slawek <yazoo@hacking.pl> wrote: > >>How I can change my database for Oracle 8.1.7. to Oracle 9. > > http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96530/toc.htm > > -- > Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk > http://www.andyhsoftware.c...

Patching Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1
Hello, my configuration is Windows 2K Server SP4 and Oracle 8.1.7.0.0. Where can i find a patch to upgrade to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 Many thanks for your attention -- Sitta many thanks!!!! Have a nice work "Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1106137485.286119.307110@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > Sitta Davide wrote: >> Hello, >> my configuration is >> >> Windows 2K Server SP4 and Oracle 8.1.7.0.0. >> >> Where can i find a patch to upgrade to Oracle 8.1.7.4.1 >> >> >> Many th...

Oracle 8.1.7 32-Bit to Oracle 8.1.7 64-Bit
Hi I would much appreciate help We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resides on a HP-UX 32-bit machine. We are upgrading the HP-UX machine to 64-Bit. Is the only way of extracting/inmporting the data via the exp/imp utitlity due to the change in bits? Is there any other way? Thanks Bob Bob wrote: > Hi I would much appreciate help > > We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resides on a HP-UX > 32-bit machine. We are upgrading the HP-UX machine to 64-Bit. Hi, a) Do you want to upgrade Oracle-Software from 32bit to 64bit? On Solaris, I know 32bit ...

Connecting to Oracle 8.0.4 Database using 8.1.7 client
I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as clean as possible. Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. TIA Chris Kernaghan aka BoobBoo On 7 Jan 2003 04:41:39 -0800, chris_kernaghan@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote: >I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as >clean as possible. > >Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with >an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. > >TIA > >Chri...

Connecting to Oracle 8.0.4 Database using 8.1.7 client software
I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as clean as possible. Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. TIA Chris Kernaghan ...

Do I need oracle database to use oracle developer suite?
I need to use oracle forms and have got oracle developer suite 10g which seems to contain the tools needed for this. But it does not seem to contain the actual oracle database, just development tools... Do I need to install a different product first? Or have I just not found the right option in developer suite? If I need to get the database, what exactly do I need? I believe I can use the developer license for the work I need to do. Thanks for any help, John Burton "John Burton" <john.burton@jbmail.com> wrote in message news:chpd22$hh6@odbk17.prod.google.c...

Using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database
Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? don't, bad idea. Jim "steveH" <sjharri@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:324e5dec.0311031243.6b07a00d@posting.google.com... > Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? ...

Need Oracle Patch for Oracle 8i (8.1.7) to make it to 8.1.7.4 WINDOWS Env.
Hi, I am a newbie here and looking for a patch which will convert 8.1.7 to 8.1.7.2 / 8.1.7.4 in a windows environment. I dont have a metalink account. If someone can help i'd appreciate it. Maybe some from the newsgroup knows how to get it. I need this for personal use (educational) Thanks. Regards RS Unfortunately the only way to get patches is through metalink and with a valid support contract. And you want to be running 8.1.7.4.13 on windows as a minimum. Regards, John On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:48:48 -0400, "RS" <rohitsinha@comcas...

Re: Do I need oracle database to use oracle developer suite?
Thanks for the fast rely. I can always uninstall the tools and reinstall them afterwards if necessary "John Burton" <john.burton@jbmail.com> wrote in message news:chpe1m$jfc@odbk17.prod.google.com... > Thanks for the fast rely. > I can always uninstall the tools and reinstall them afterwards if > necessary yes more or less, but sometimes there are situations where you may expirience problems. install database in separate home for a start, might work without uninst. ...

install oracle 8.1.7 and developer 6i under same oracle home.
Hello EveryBody, I had installed Oracle client 8.1.7. Now I want to install Developer 6i under the Oracle 8.1.7 home. When I tried to install this , it was giving message "the location specified, D:\<path> is already in use as an Oracle Home for 'Oracle 816 Production'. It cannot be used as an Oracle Home for 'nt'" Please anybody can help me how to do this. Thanks and Regards, Vikas Rijhwani Anno Domini 14-3-2005 13:15, vikas.rijhwani@gmail.com sprak aldus: >Hello EveryBody, > >I had installed Oracle client 8.1.7. Now I want to install Developer >6i under the Oracle 8.1.7 home. When I tried to install this , it was >giving message >"the location specified, D:\<path> is already >in use as an Oracle Home for 'Oracle 816 Production'. It cannot be >used as >an Oracle Home for 'nt'" > >Please anybody can help me how to do this. > >Thanks and Regards, >Vikas Rijhwani > > select another Oracle home? ...

Oracle Introduces Oracle(r) SQL Developer
Oracle Introduces Oracle(r) SQL Developer - Free, Database Development Tool REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. 13-MAR-2006 Oracle today announced the general availability of Oracle(r) SQL Developer (formerly code named Project Raptor), a new, free, database development tool. Designed for Oracle Database developers, Oracle SQL Developer simplifies development cycles and reduces the need to buy third-party tools for developing and debugging SQL and PL/SQL code. The introduction of this tool underscores Oracle's commitment to improving the productivity and supporting the needs of the database developmen...

Oracle Introduces Oracle(r) SQL Developer
Oracle Introduces Oracle(r) SQL Developer - Free, Database Development Tool Computers, REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. 13-MAR-2006 Oracle today announced the general availability of Oracle(r) SQL Developer (formerly code named Project Raptor), a new, free, database development tool. Designed for Oracle Database developers, Oracle SQL Developer simplifies development cycles and reduces the need to buy third-party tools for developing and debugging SQL and PL/SQL code. The introduction of this tool underscores Oracle's commitment to improving the productivity and supporting the needs of t...

Is Oracle 8.1.7 database obselete?
Hi, Is Oracle 8.1.7 obselete? There are companies usiung oracle 8.1.7 as a database.What should they do regarding that. Are they continue using 8.1.7 or theu upgrade to newer version. Lee On 15 Oct 2005 22:50:23 -0700, "Lee" <pklalee@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is Oracle 8.1.7 obselete? >There are companies usiung oracle 8.1.7 as a database.What should they >do regarding that. Are they continue using 8.1.7 or theu upgrade to >newer version. > >Lee Since Oracle 8i there have been 2 new major releases: Oracle 9i and Oracle 10G. The terminal release of Oracle 9i is Oracle 9.2. Oracle 8i has been desupported on December 31, 2004. If they have no compelling reasons not to upgrade (ie their 3rd party vendor still doesn't support Oracle 9i, more than 2 years after it's release, or Oracle 10g), they should upgrade. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:50:23 -0700, Lee interested us by writing: > Hi, > > Is Oracle 8.1.7 obselete? Yes. > There are companies usiung oracle 8.1.7 as a database.What should they > do regarding that. Are they continue using 8.1.7 or theu upgrade to > newer version. Depends. If they want to have support from Oracle, they upgrade as soon as possible. If they don't care about support, they may stay with the old version. Then they ask their questions here and get told they should upgrade. Then they ge...

copy database from oracle 9 to 8.1.7
I am going to restore my PRD (8.1.7) to DEV (9). In my PRD, I have a full offline backup scheduled in db13 to a DDS-4 tape. With this tape, I am going to restore PRD to my DEV. 1) Remove all the DEV filesystems 2) Create the PRD filesystems 3) the command used to restore is "brrestore -b <coded_timestamp>.<fid> -m full". This file <coded_timestamp>.<fid> is tied to the same one with what is shown in the DB13 log. 4) This will restore the complete PRD system. Problem is that this restored system is a 8.1.7. But the one in DEV is 9 therefore the binary is di...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

Oracle newbie
Appologies if this is a stupid question? Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a secondary means of access Not certain what you mean there. Do you mean that login information retained in the Internet Directory store would be retrieved by some application which would then connect to the target database with it? Definitely can be done. That's what it's for, among other things. Oracle has created products that do just this very thing. Some Oracle options depend on it. The Interne...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are > on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out > the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 > live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is > inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update > rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How > to ensure that these select/update does not fail. > > Kishan Thakker How much data? Which version of 9i? Which version of 8? How much downtime is possible? -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org ...

Access to Oracle database 8.1.7 via ODBC
Hye, I have this error message on a Windows 2000 server with IIS5 and an ASP page : Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' Driver can't be loaded, system error 126 I upgrade MDAC, but nothing is better. Where is the problem exactly ???????? Thanks for your help. "Yo Man" <yo@man.fr> wrote: >Hye, > >I have this error message on a Windows 2000 server with IIS5 and an ASP page >: >Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' >Driver can't be loaded, system error 126 > > >I upgrade MDAC, ...

How to install oracle 8.1.7 database on linux 9
Hi, I want to install oracle 8i database on linux 9 or 8.I am beginner regarding using Linux. Could some one send me the steps to perform the installation of oracle 8i on linux 9 or 8. thanks faraz Oracle 8i has been desupported almost a year from now. If you don't want to read the installation manual this should be able to help you out http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml (which you could have found by a little Googling) -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA Here on that forum I need information regarding installation of 8i on linux 9i. please inform me how should ...

Problem with ODBC-Access to Oracle 8.1.7 Database
Hi, we use ORACLE 8.1.7.0.0 Database on Linux-Server. The clients access to the database via ODBC. There are 2 clients W2K SP4. With ODBC-driver 8.1.7.0.0 both clients could access to the database but had problems with large cursors. Now we have updatet the ODBC-Driver to version 8.1.7.8.0 and only 1 client can access the server in the way we did it before. With the other client we have to write the schema-name and the tablename in uppercase to get access while this has no matter with the first client or a NT SP6-client. Has anybody any idea which property causes this behavior and how to solv...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

Web resources about - Using Oracle Developer with Oracle 8.1.7 database - comp.databases.oracle.misc

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Pixel (game developer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amaya's other work includes the game Ikachan which he released in 2000, as well as many other low-profile games. He is currently developing a ...

App developers clamour for live petrol price data to help motorists find cheap fuel
Previously secret real-time service station data on petrol prices is on the verge of being released to the public, with app developers lining ...

App developers are angry at the latest glitch to hit the Mac App Store
Some Mac applications wouldn't open for users this week, and developers who publish software on Apple's Mac App Store were upset about the issue, ...

The Old Republic developer is hiring for a "new, unannounced BioWare IP"
It looks like The Old Republic developer BioWare Austin is working on an entirely new IP with MMO elements. In a job listing , BioWare Austin ...

Forbes Career Opportunity: PHP Developer
... Technology team develops and supports web-based solutions across the network of Forbes Media properties. We are currently seeking a PHP Developerto ...

Layoffs hit Dungeon Defenders developer
Dungeon Defenders developer Trendy Entertainment has laid off an undetermined number of staff at its Gainesville, Florida studio, Kotaku reports. ...

Political Heavyweight Real Estate Developer Settles Civil Rights Lawsuit
Glenwood Management, the luxury real estate developer cited (but not charged) in both Dean Skelos and Sheldon Silver’s public corruption trials ...

‘Ark: Survival Evolved’ Developers Add New Explorer Note System, No New Dinosaur Reveals In the Coming ...
... more information on the enigmatic island itself and secrets behind the ARK. In an official post on the Ark: Survival Evolved website, developers ...

Firewatch Developer Offers Classy Response To Steam Refund Request
Last weekend, one Firewatch player was having a monetary dilemma. They’d beaten the game. They liked the game, which tasks players with hiking ...