UTL_SMTP - ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available

We have just set up a Windows 2003 Server with Oracle 9i.

We are trying to use UTL_SMTP in a PL/SQL procedure to send an email
using our mail server IP (mail server is a different server) and port
and we get
   ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available
We also checked a Java application (outside of Oracle) on the same
server  that does a send mail and it also can not connect to the Mail
Server.

*However*, Outlook express on the  same server to the same mail server
address does work.  This tends to rule out the mail server and any
firewall as causing the problem...?

The PL/SQL procedure is correct as it was copied from another server
that sends emails.  It seems there is something on the server that
does not allow the PL/SQL or the non-Oracle java application to
connect to the mail server but does allow Outlook Express to connect
to the mail server.   Any ideas what to check?
0
dgriffi2
9/4/2004 6:11:19 PM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

dgriffi2@tampabay.rr.com (Dennis Griffith) wrote in

> We have just set up a Windows 2003 Server with Oracle 9i.
>
> We are trying to use UTL_SMTP in a PL/SQL procedure to send an email
> using our mail server IP (mail server is a different server) and port
> and we get
>    ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available
> We also checked a Java application (outside of Oracle) on the same
> server  that does a send mail and it also can not connect to the Mail
> Server.
>
> *However*, Outlook express on the  same server to the same mail server
> address does work.  This tends to rule out the mail server and any
> firewall as causing the problem...?
>
> The PL/SQL procedure is correct as it was copied from another server
> that sends emails.  It seems there is something on the server that
> does not allow the PL/SQL or the non-Oracle java application to
> connect to the mail server but does allow Outlook Express to connect
> to the mail server.   Any ideas what to check?

While logged directly onto the the Windoze box where Oracle is installed
open up a DOS/Command window. From it do
telnet mailserver.yourdomain.com 25
You should get some kind of display/prompt if all is well.
If you don't get anything then the problem is most likely network related.
0
Ana
9/4/2004 7:38:23 PM
The telnet command does give the cannot connect message.

I can telnet to the mail server using port 110 (POP3 port?) but not
port 25.

Does anyone know why Outlook Express can connect to the mail server
using the same IP and port 25 but telnet can not?
0
dgriffi2
9/6/2004 11:13:02 PM

> The telnet command does give the cannot connect message.

There is no "connect message" for smtp (port 25) to get a prompt.

> I can telnet to the mail server using port 110 (POP3 port?) but not
> port 25.
>
> Does anyone know why Outlook Express can connect to the mail server
> using the same IP and port 25 but telnet can not?

I'd suspect a firewall or similar security issue.

0
Ana
9/6/2004 11:46:32 PM
We found the problem and it was a "similar security issue".

After taking down the firewalls and checking everything possible, as
an afterthought, we disabled the virus scanner and everything then
worked.

We have McAfee and apparently this new version has added an
"Additional Protections" option and the first one under there is to
prevent mass mailings by blocking port 25.

(I still don't know why it would allow Outlook express to do the email
but not the telnet......)
0
dgriffi2

421 SMTP service not available
I was looking into some mail not arriving on a sendmail-8.13.0 machine. From several other hosts, telnetting to port 25 results in 421 SMTP service not available, closing transmission channel But mail is arriving... I can't tell if this response is only given to some IP addresses (why? and why ones I test from, but not most "real" mail servers?), or what. -- * John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/ * * California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! * * http://www.crpa.org/ Free 3 month trial membership available * * ...

"Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle" error when restarting application
Hi, we're using Oracle 10g, in combination with Delphi (7). Application uses Oracle client dll (oraociei10.dll). Quick explenation about the structure (All files are on the network): - A launcher application is started by the client. The launcher application checks an .ini file for the current application versie (.exe filename with a version postfix, e.g. "Application_112.exe"). The launcher starts the executable specified in the .ini file. In this way we can "release" by putting a new .exe file and updating the .ini file. The problem: In our application we've ...

Mercury 4.01a SMTP Client (Relay Version)
I am new to Mercury, but it's been working well on a Windows XP SP1 machine. I would like to move this mail-server function to a different machine which is running XP SP2. I installed Mercury on the XP2 machine and it seems to work except the SMTP Client (Relay Version). Whenever there is something in the queue to send, SMTP fails with "TCP/IP error during processing. Error FF servicing queue job". So far as I can see, the Mercury set-up is the same on both machines. They are both on the same LAN (just different ports on the same cable DSL router) and I am using the sa...

Service not available with STARTLS SMTP
I've installed Redmine. I'm trying to use sendmail from Redmine to send mai= ls to users. I have used mailertable to specify explicit IP for MX of my or= ganization: append FEATURE(`mailertable') to sendmail.mc m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf add bibalex.org esmtp:[XX:XX:XX:XX] to /etc/mail/mailertable file makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable When Redmine tries to send mail, an error appears in /var/log/mail.log: Dec 5 14:46:34 aa112531 sendmail[22685]: qB5CkY7q022685: to=3Dmahmoud.muba= rak@bibalex.org, ctladdr=3Dredmine@ar...

connecting to an oracle database... errors...
Im having a little bit of difficulty solving this simple error... I konw I have the URL correct, however I cannot connect to the Oracle 9 database. The error occurs on the line that I assign the connection (ConDB), Im a little lost, any help is appreciated! Thanks! ---- strURL = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@oradev.xxx.com:1521:dev.xxx.com"; strUser = "user" strPass = "pass" try { //register oracle driver DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver()); // DB logon ConDB = DriverManager.getConnection (strURL , strUser, strPass); ...

JAVAMAIL SMTP error 421
Hi all, I've been looking at this problem for a while, browsing all possible resources for a possible explanation but no way. My problem is the following : I've got a JAVA application listening to messages falling on a MQSeries queue. The message falling on the queue contains all required information to compose a mail intended for some recipients. The application is connected to a mail server and is supposed to send the mail. In our development environment everything is fine and works properly. We are using Exchange server. I made several tests with some 3000 messages falling on th...

smtp error message solved (was Re: smtp error message)
I just discovered the meaning of a mysterious error code; or at least one possible meaning. The problem was that an smtp mail message didn't get sent out from one system I administer to another system I administer, and that messages between them worked fine earlier, and there was no config change. The sending system is DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 - ECO 1 on a AlphaStation 255/300 running OpenVMS V7.1-2 The receiving system is HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.4 - ECO 1 on a Digital Personal WorkStation running OpenVMS V7.3-2 The UCX SMTP log file on the sending system shows an error message of: smtp_sender_close sclose R0 status = -1, errno = 65535, vaxc$errno = 316 where: $ exit 316 %SYSTEM-F-IVCHAN, invalid I/O channel On the receiving system, there is no new TCPIP$SMTP_RECV_RUN.LOG file. Restarting SMTP on both systems had no effect. Restarting the entire TCPIP package on both systems also had no effect. As it turns out, the sending system is just fine, the error is on the receiving system, and the error code has nothing to do with the error! I have disk quotas enabled on the system disk. Without realizing it, the TCPIP$SMTP account had exceeded its disk quota. This caused the receiving process to terminate early. Subsequent activations of the smtp receiver were immediately over quota and never got started. I'm a little hazy on why the lack of error message, or the entire sequence of failures. When I...

FTP: 421 Service not available....
Hello all, I am running to this problem and I have no clue how to solve it...if somebody can give me some ideas, I will really appreciatted I am trying to ftp a file. This is the process: ftp -n nameofserver user username password cd /var/xx/xx/xx ascii put nameoffile dir bye When i first do the ftp i get all this (I dont know if this is good or bad): 220 bigbird FTP server (DG/UX Release R4.11MU06) ready. 500 Command not understood. 500 Command not understood. KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type Then I enter the username and password and when I tried to put the file i get this ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

421 Service not available, closing channel.
I occasionally get this error when trying to send authenticated mail via PHP to Mercury SMTP Server. It appears about once a day (at different times) and when it does reports the service is unavailible for about 1 minute before it usually fixes itself. The log reports for all SMTP connections during this period. T 20060902 202725 44f6f71b Connection from 127.0.0.1 T 20060902 202725 44f6f71b HELO **** T 20060902 202725 44f6f71b MAIL FROM:<***@****> E 20060902 202725 44f6f71b Unexpected abort talking to 127.0.0.1 Any ideas what I need to be checking? Thanks in a...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

starting oracle service dbconsole error
i had a error starting oracle dbconsole, it was working fine before........ when i tried starting it from services it gave me following error Windows could not start oracle dbconsole on Local computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a not-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 2. when i tried using emctl start dbconsole, it reflect the error OC4J Configuration issue. D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\ db_1/oc4j/j2ee/OC4J_DBConsole_192.168.50.1_ddcfamp not found. When i tried to find out what is the error, by using sc q...

Export oracle 10G database errors
I have an oracle database version 10G running on solaris 5.8 and when I export the database I get a bunch of error messages which I dont know how to get ride of ??? .. exporting private type synonyms .. exporting object type definitions .. exporting system procedural objects and actions EXP-00008: ORACLE error 6550 encountered ORA-06550: line 1, column 13: PLS-00201: identifier 'EXFSYS.DBMS_EXPFIL_DEPASEXP' must be declared ORA-06550: line 1, column 7: PL/SQL: Statement ignored EXP-00083: The previous problem occurred when calling EXFSYS.DBMS_EXPFIL_DEPASEX P.system_info_exp EXP-00008...

Oracle 10g-Embedded Database available??
Does Embedded version of Database exist in Oracle 10g(like Solid Embedded Database)? If yes, I would like to know the impacts on the users' code, if we move from Oracle 10g normal RDBMS to the Oracle 10g embedded database. What are the adaptations necessary? I think that you're referring to licensing issues, meaning an application specific limited use or application specific full use license. Check with your Oracle salesperson. I'd direct you to the licensing guide, but store.oracle.com is apparently offline for maintenance. -bdbafh bdbafh@gmail.com wrote: > I think that y...

Strange Network Error on Oracle Database Server
Hi Oracle Gurus, We are experiencing a strange Oracle database server(Windows 2003) behaviour When we try to start Oracle database from services -- It does not start the database and in Oradim.log we see following error -- ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error and in sqlnet.ora -- Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim.exe)(HOST=host02)(USER=SYSTEM)))) However, If I try to manually start...

Error trying to set up JNDIand Oracle database
Hi, I am trying to set up a very simple application accessing to my Oracle database using Tomcat in order to let him deal with connection pooling. So I tried to do what what explained in the documents I found but it seems that I have done something wrong. I have added the following code in the server.xml (the tomcat one in the conf directory) <Context path="/BaseDeDonnees" reloadable="true" docBase="C:\Dev\eclipse\workspace\BaseDeDonnees" workDir="C:\Dev\eclipse\workspace\BaseDeDonnees\work" > <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.log...

SCSI error on Oracle database disk array
I have an Oracle ASM database on a Dell Powervault 220S disk array. The other day, the ASM database went down with the following errors: ORA-27091: unable to queue I/O ORA-27070: async read/write failed OSD-04016: Error queuing an asynchronous I/O request. O/S-Error: (OS 1117) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. The Windows Event Viewer showed an error at this same time that said "The device \Device\Scsi\mraid35x1 did not respond within the timeout period". This was an Event ID of 9. Doc on this said to check connections, cables, etc. I stopped, r...

TNS Error creating Oracle 8i Database
Hello all, I am in desparate need of help, not being an Oracle guru I am finding it difficult to trouble shoot the problem I am experiencing. Any and all help is much appreciated! PLATFORM: Win2K SP2, Oracle8i Personal Edition PROBLEM: Trying to create a New Database! Was previously able to do this using either the UI or via scripting, however now, whenever I try either approach I get the same error... *********************************************************************** Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle) (ARGV...

error in error code database
Hi, &nbsp; I have this error (screenshot provided), which problem is its asking for a password. I think this vi is ni developed. So,&nbsp;I have tried to reinstall labview but still this cannot work. Thanks, for any help. &nbsp; Best regards, Edwin &nbsp; error_code_database_password.zip: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/130546/1/error_code_database_password.zip Hi Edwin, The error is most likely caused by opening an LLB in a newer version of LabVIEW than the version it was developed on. It is commonly seen with the "Error Code Database.vi" when upgrading f...

Oracle error in java web service on Tomcat
I have a web service application installed on Tomcat 4.1. When it attempts to connect to the database, I get the "TNS:could not resolve service name" error. The service name is fine because I can TNSPing it and connect through SQL*Plus. My test environment works too. My test environment is running Oracle 9.2.0.5, but my production environment is running 9.2.0.1. I was able to recreate the error by copying the <ORACLE_HOME>/lib/ folder from my production environment to my test environment, so that seems to be where the problem lies. I made sure that I was using version 9.2.0.1 of the ojdbc14.jar drivers, but that did not fix the problem. The problem is that I cannot upgrade the production environment to 9.2.0.5 because it might break the legacy application that is running there now. Is there a way that I can include the my newer <ORACLE_HOME>/lib/folder in my WAR file or is there a way that I can point my Oracle drivers to look for the needed support files in another folder? I need to do it in a way that hopefully won't break the old application. I hope that makes sense. Thanks. Nevermind, I figured it out. I think it's a bug in 9.2.0.1. It's not reading the TNSNames.ora correctly. I changed my configuration to point to the first database defined in TNSNames.ora and everything worked correctly. PatrickRThomas@hotmail.com wrote: > I have a web service application installed on Tomcat 4.1. When it ...

importing to a database through imp utility in oracle, produces some errors
Hi: I am creating a test database from a production database. I did a full export of the production and then did a full import to the test database. Before importing I completely destroyed the test database. then recreated the database again and did the import. The import at the end said, it completely successfully. But I found the following in the import log. Does anyone know what this means: ORA-01403: no data found .. importing SYSTEM's objects into SYSTEM IMP-00017: following statement failed with ORACLE error 29371: "BEGIN " "dbms_resource_ma...

Oracle Database 10g SQL book now available
Oracle Database 10g SQL (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) by Jason Price, Lisa McClain McGraw-Hill This book takes you from novice to master, covering how to use the new Oracle Database 10g SQL and the Oracle extensions to SQL. The examples feature the sample schemas available with the new Oracle Database 10g. Free code will be made available for download. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072229810/qid=1078451791/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8717549-7012108?v=glance&s=books ...

Accessing sqlserver database from oracle using heterogenous services
oracle 10.2.0.4 / sqlserver 2000 I have set up a database link within oracle pointing to a data source (odbc) which points to a sqlserver instance and a default database I can get the following command to work select count(*) from brokers@rdt ...which reads data from the default database in the odbc If I try following syntax select count(*) from database.dbo.brokers@rdt ...it doesn't work / Is there a syntax I can use which allows me to use the same oracle database link to point to a different sqlserver database on the same instance or do I have to set up a new link pointing to a...

Web resources about - UTL_SMTP - ORA-29278: SMTP transient error: 421 Service not available - comp.databases.oracle.misc