What's a quick simple way to test Oracle connectivity between client and database server?

Gurus,

Just learning Oracle.  With help from a guru, installed 10g database on one
server and 10g client on another.  What's a quick simple way to test Oracle
connectivity between these two servers at this point?

--
Spin

0
Spin
11/2/2008 3:53:40 AM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Nov 1, 11:53=A0pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> Just learning Oracle. =A0With help from a guru, installed 10g database on=
 one
> server and 10g client on another. =A0What's a quick simple way to test Or=
acle
> connectivity between these two servers at this point?
>
> --
> Spin

Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name

The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
responds with ping type information.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
0
Mark
11/2/2008 5:26:38 AM
"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell@eds.com> wrote in message
On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name

The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
responds with ping type information.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
"service_name"?

0
Spin
11/3/2008 3:22:25 AM
Spin says...
> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell@eds.com> wrote in message
> On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name
>
> The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
> file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
> responds with ping type information.

> Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
> "service_name"?

On your client machine - in the tnsnames.ora file - you must have an entry
(or entries if you want the client to be able to connect to more than one
server or instance) which "describes" your server/instance to the client.

eg:
my_first_database =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS =
      (PROTOCOL = TCP)
      (HOST = myserver.whereveritis.com)
      (PORT = 1521)
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = whatever_the_dba_called_it)
    )
  )

Yes, lower case entries in the above example are placeholders.  HOST can
be be defined using a DNS-enabled name or an IP address.  PORT in my
example is the usual default, SERVICE_NAME may or may not be a fully
qualified name depending on the how your database administrator set up the
server instance's listener.  Often the entry name (my_first_database) and
the SERVICE_NAME (whatever_the_dba_called_it) are the same, but they need
not be.

Then from a command line prompt:
tnsping my_first_database

If the response is "OK" then the database instance is up, its listener is
running, and your client installation should be able to connect to it with
a valid username/password.

Geoff M
0
Geoff
11/3/2008 4:11:08 AM
On Nov 2, 11:11=A0pm, Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muld...@trap.gmail.com>
wrote:
> Spin says...
>
> > "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Pow...@eds.com> wrote in message
..
> > On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
> > Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name
>
> > The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
> > file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
> > responds with ping type information.
> > Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
> > "service_name"?
>
> On your client machine - in the tnsnames.ora file - you must have an entr=
y =A0
> (or entries if you want the client to be able to connect to more than one
> server or instance) which "describes" your server/instance to the client.
>
> eg:
> my_first_database =3D
> =A0 (DESCRIPTION =3D
> =A0 =A0 (ADDRESS =3D
> =A0 =A0 =A0 (PROTOCOL =3D TCP)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 (HOST =3D myserver.whereveritis.com)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 (PORT =3D 1521)
> =A0 =A0 )
> =A0 =A0 (CONNECT_DATA =3D
> =A0 =A0 =A0 (SERVICE_NAME =3D whatever_the_dba_called_it)
> =A0 =A0 )
> =A0 )
>
> Yes, lower case entries in the above example are placeholders. =A0HOST ca=
> be be defined using a DNS-enabled name or an IP address. =A0PORT in my
> example is the usual default, SERVICE_NAME may or may not be a fully
> qualified name depending on the how your database administrator set up th=
> server instance's listener. =A0Often the entry name (my_first_database) a=
nd
> the SERVICE_NAME (whatever_the_dba_called_it) are the same, but they need
> not be.
>
> Then from a command line prompt:
> tnsping my_first_database
>
> If the response is "OK" then the database instance is up, its listener is
> running, and your client installation should be able to connect to it wit=
> a valid username/password.
>
> Geoff M

Spin, if Geoff's example did not answer all your questions you can
find all the information you need on tnsping and other network testing/
configuration utilities via the Net Services Administrator's Guide

For your specific questions
Ch 15 Establishing a Network and Testing the Connection

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/connect.htm=
#sthref1532

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

0
Mark
11/4/2008 1:52:31 PM
Thx Geoff.  This answers the subject question.  I will now open a new post
on the topic, specific to my problem.

"Geoff Muldoon" <geoff.muldoon@trap.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Spin says...
>> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell@eds.com> wrote in message
>> On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name
>>
>> The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
>> file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
>> responds with ping type information.
>
>> Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
>> "service_name"?
>
> On your client machine - in the tnsnames.ora file - you must have an entry
> (or entries if you want the client to be able to connect to more than one
> server or instance) which "describes" your server/instance to the client.
>
> eg:
> my_first_database =
>  (DESCRIPTION =
>    (ADDRESS =
>      (PROTOCOL = TCP)
>      (HOST = myserver.whereveritis.com)
>      (PORT = 1521)
>    )
>    (CONNECT_DATA =
>      (SERVICE_NAME = whatever_the_dba_called_it)
>    )
>  )
>
> Yes, lower case entries in the above example are placeholders.  HOST can
> be be defined using a DNS-enabled name or an IP address.  PORT in my
> example is the usual default, SERVICE_NAME may or may not be a fully
> qualified name depending on the how your database administrator set up the
> server instance's listener.  Often the entry name (my_first_database) and
> the SERVICE_NAME (whatever_the_dba_called_it) are the same, but they need
> not be.
>
> Then from a command line prompt:
> tnsping my_first_database
>
> If the response is "OK" then the database instance is up, its listener is
> running, and your client installation should be able to connect to it with
> a valid username/password.
>
> Geoff M

0
Spin
11/6/2008 7:24:04 PM
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:24:04 -0500, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote:

>Thx Geoff.  This answers the subject question.  I will now open a new post
>on the topic, specific to my problem.

Please stop
- top posting
- flooding this forum with RTFM questions showing you are too lazy to
read the docs.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
0
sybrandb
11/6/2008 10:13:19 PM
I am flooded with 20 projects.  I do not have time to read the documents.
Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
recognition.  And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.
Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
measure of "laziness".  You placed that label on me.  You do not know me.  I
could be lazy.  Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and do
not have time to RTM.  Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elderly
or troubled juveniles.  All of these are activities, which may in fact,
indirectly benefit you, if not the common good.  And as to top-posting, some
people prefer it.  You don't have to scroll down to see the answer.  And if
it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader default
to top-posting?

<sybrandb@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:24:04 -0500, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Thx Geoff.  This answers the subject question.  I will now open a new post
>>on the topic, specific to my problem.
>
> Please stop
> - top posting
> - flooding this forum with RTFM questions showing you are too lazy to
> read the docs.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

0
Spin
11/7/2008 1:56:42 AM
Spin says...
> I am flooded with 20 projects.  I do not have time to read the documents.

Although Sybrand can be abrupt if not outright abrasive, the advice from
both him and David that you should take the time to read AT LEAST the core
Oracle doco is absolutely correct.  If you don't have the time to do so,
you probably shouldn't try working with Oracle at all.

This is particularly the case as your other posting indicated a MSSQL
background, and because of that I'd also strenuously recommend reading
(several times!) the first couple of chapters of Tom Kyte's Oracle Expert
One-On-One which succinctly highlights the key and fundamental differences
between the two platforms.

I was a newbie once (well, in many ways I really still am) and gave you
some latitude with my response, but ignore their advice at your real
peril.

> And as to top-posting, some
> people prefer it.  You don't have to scroll down to see the answer.

It's traditional UseNet etiquette to NOT top post (most notably because
split responses like this one remain in context), and continuing to do so
is likely to lead to otherwise potentially helpful people ignoring you in
this forum.

BTW, failure to indicate your Oracle version number (to full 4 digits if
specifying an error) and platform can also engender the same reaction.

> And if
> it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader default
> to top-posting?

Because OE is the spawn of the devil?  Next you'll be saying FrontPage is
a good web editing tool!

Geoff M
0
Geoff
11/7/2008 4:48:13 AM
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 20:56:42 -0500, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote:

>I am flooded with 20 projects.  I do not have time to read the documents.
>Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
>and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
>recognition.  And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.
>Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
>measure of "laziness".  You placed that label on me.  You do not know me.  I
>could be lazy.  Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and do
>not have time to RTM.  Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
>shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elderly
>or troubled juveniles.  All of these are activities, which may in fact,
>indirectly benefit you, if not the common good.  And as to top-posting, some
>people prefer it.  You don't have to scroll down to see the answer.  And if
>it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader default
>to top-posting?

If you don't have time to read documentation you shouldn't work with
Oracle. PERIOD. Oracle wasn't invented for people brainwashed by the
Evil Empire aka Microsoft.
Top posting is just another sign you are enslaved by Billl Gates aka
Darth Vader, aka Sauron.

Vade retro, Satanas!

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
I'll take your advice and read the docs you mentioned.
0
Spin
11/7/2008 12:58:24 PM
sybrandb@hccnet.nl wa:
>If you don't have time to read documentation you shouldn't work with
>Oracle. PERIOD. Oracle wasn't invented for people brainwashed by the
>Evil Empire aka Microsoft.
>Top posting is just another sign you are enslaved by Billl Gates aka
>Darth Vader, aka Sauron.

I suspect Sybrand may not like Microsoft much. Hard to tell, though.

--
:)
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator
0
Aya
11/7/2008 3:55:14 PM
On 7 Nov, 01:56, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:

Comment embedded (hence why it's better to not top-post)

> I am flooded with 20 projects. =A0I do not have time to read the document=
s.

We're all busy and there's really no reason to not familiarise
yourself with the Oracle documentation.  If you demonstrate that you
have at least tried many people here, especially Sybrand, will give
you very valuable help and advice.

> Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
> and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
> recognition. =A0And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.
> Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
> measure of "laziness". =A0You placed that label on me. =A0You do not know=
 me. =A0I
> could be lazy. =A0Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and =
do
> not have time to RTM. =A0Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
> shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elde=
rly
> or troubled juveniles. =A0All of these are activities, which may in fact,
> indirectly benefit you, if not the common good. =A0And as to top-posting,=
 some
> people prefer it. =A0You don't have to scroll down to see the answer. =A0

> And if
> it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader defa=
ult
> to top-posting?

Possibly the best troll this year!  LOL  ;-)

HTH

-g
0
gazzag
11/7/2008 4:49:15 PM
On Nov 6, 5:56=A0pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
> I am flooded with 20 projects. =A0I do not have time to read the document=
s.

Well, that sounds like a personal problem, as well as a personnel
problem.  Search for "decades of data" :
http://ww.uniontrib.com/uniontrib/20070128/news_lz1n28newways.html
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D01/08/06/048208

> Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
> and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
> recognition. =A0And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.

Some people think usenet is dead.

> Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
> measure of "laziness". =A0You placed that label on me. =A0You do not know=
 me. =A0I
> could be lazy. =A0Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and =
do
> not have time to RTM. =A0Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
> shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elde=
rly
> or troubled juveniles. =A0All of these are activities, which may in fact,
> indirectly benefit you, if not the common good. =A0And as to top-posting,=
 some
> people prefer it. =A0You don't have to scroll down to see the answer. =A0=
And if
> it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader defa=
ult
> to top-posting?

Each newsgroup has its own norms, this group pretty strongly feels top-
posting=3Dbad.

So, you are assuming that the default is always the best thing?  You
are assuming Outlook Express is a good product, aaaaayyyyyyy...

Some more info for newbies to the group:  http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-c=
dos.htm

> <sybra...@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

> > On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:24:04 -0500, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >>Thx Geoff. =A0This answers the subject question. =A0I will now open a n=
ew post
> >>on the topic, specific to my problem.
>
> > Please stop
> > - top posting
> > - flooding this forum with RTFM questions showing you are too lazy to
> > read the docs.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://diodon349.com/Conservative_Corner/general_pattons_famous_may_1944_sp=

0
joel
11/7/2008 7:29:28 PM
Spin wrote:
> I am flooded with 20 projects.  I do not have time to read the
> documents.

Of course ... how foolish of us. We should have known that your
life is different from ours. You, and you alone, are under
incredible stress. You, and you alone, have to multi-task. You,
and you alone, don't have time to read docs or to take the time
to learn your job and how to do it properly. You, and you alone
should be granted a special dispensation. Others may have to
wipe their feet when they walk into the house but you are excused.

What a wonderful world you must live in where your physician has
time to read the medical literature, your accountant to keep up
on the tax code, judges and attorneys on the latest changes to
the law, and the people at the grocery store the price of a head
of cabbage. And they all understand that you don't have to live
by the same rules, and excuse you, because you are flooded with
20 projects.

About twice a year I find a post here in usenet so outrageous I
make a screenshot of it to include in my lectures. Congratulations!
--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor