What's a quick simple way to test Oracle connectivity between client and database server?

Gurus,

Just learning Oracle.  With help from a guru, installed 10g database on one
server and 10g client on another.  What's a quick simple way to test Oracle
connectivity between these two servers at this point?

--
Spin

0
Spin
11/2/2008 3:53:40 AM
comp.databases.oracle.misc 8436 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On Nov 1, 11:53=A0pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> Just learning Oracle. =A0With help from a guru, installed 10g database on=
 one
> server and 10g client on another. =A0What's a quick simple way to test Or=
acle
> connectivity between these two servers at this point?
>
> --
> Spin

Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name

The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
responds with ping type information.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
0
Mark
11/2/2008 5:26:38 AM
"Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell@eds.com> wrote in message
On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name

The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
responds with ping type information.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
"service_name"?

0
Spin
11/3/2008 3:22:25 AM
Spin says...
> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell@eds.com> wrote in message
> On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name
>
> The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
> file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
> responds with ping type information.

> Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
> "service_name"?

On your client machine - in the tnsnames.ora file - you must have an entry
(or entries if you want the client to be able to connect to more than one
server or instance) which "describes" your server/instance to the client.

eg:
my_first_database =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS =
      (PROTOCOL = TCP)
      (HOST = myserver.whereveritis.com)
      (PORT = 1521)
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = whatever_the_dba_called_it)
    )
  )

Yes, lower case entries in the above example are placeholders.  HOST can
be be defined using a DNS-enabled name or an IP address.  PORT in my
example is the usual default, SERVICE_NAME may or may not be a fully
qualified name depending on the how your database administrator set up the
server instance's listener.  Often the entry name (my_first_database) and
the SERVICE_NAME (whatever_the_dba_called_it) are the same, but they need
not be.

Then from a command line prompt:
tnsping my_first_database

If the response is "OK" then the database instance is up, its listener is
running, and your client installation should be able to connect to it with
a valid username/password.

Geoff M
0
Geoff
11/3/2008 4:11:08 AM
On Nov 2, 11:11=A0pm, Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muld...@trap.gmail.com>
wrote:
> Spin says...
>
> > "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Pow...@eds.com> wrote in message
..
> > On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
> > Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name
>
> > The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
> > file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
> > responds with ping type information.
> > Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
> > "service_name"?
>
> On your client machine - in the tnsnames.ora file - you must have an entr=
y =A0
> (or entries if you want the client to be able to connect to more than one
> server or instance) which "describes" your server/instance to the client.
>
> eg:
> my_first_database =3D
> =A0 (DESCRIPTION =3D
> =A0 =A0 (ADDRESS =3D
> =A0 =A0 =A0 (PROTOCOL =3D TCP)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 (HOST =3D myserver.whereveritis.com)
> =A0 =A0 =A0 (PORT =3D 1521)
> =A0 =A0 )
> =A0 =A0 (CONNECT_DATA =3D
> =A0 =A0 =A0 (SERVICE_NAME =3D whatever_the_dba_called_it)
> =A0 =A0 )
> =A0 )
>
> Yes, lower case entries in the above example are placeholders. =A0HOST ca=
> be be defined using a DNS-enabled name or an IP address. =A0PORT in my
> example is the usual default, SERVICE_NAME may or may not be a fully
> qualified name depending on the how your database administrator set up th=
> server instance's listener. =A0Often the entry name (my_first_database) a=
nd
> the SERVICE_NAME (whatever_the_dba_called_it) are the same, but they need
> not be.
>
> Then from a command line prompt:
> tnsping my_first_database
>
> If the response is "OK" then the database instance is up, its listener is
> running, and your client installation should be able to connect to it wit=
> a valid username/password.
>
> Geoff M

Spin, if Geoff's example did not answer all your questions you can
find all the information you need on tnsping and other network testing/
configuration utilities via the Net Services Administrator's Guide

For your specific questions
Ch 15 Establishing a Network and Testing the Connection

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/connect.htm=
#sthref1532

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

0
Mark
11/4/2008 1:52:31 PM
Thx Geoff.  This answers the subject question.  I will now open a new post
on the topic, specific to my problem.

"Geoff Muldoon" <geoff.muldoon@trap.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Spin says...
>> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell@eds.com> wrote in message
>> On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name
>>
>> The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora
>> file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and
>> responds with ping type information.
>
>> Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type
>> "service_name"?
>
> On your client machine - in the tnsnames.ora file - you must have an entry
> (or entries if you want the client to be able to connect to more than one
> server or instance) which "describes" your server/instance to the client.
>
> eg:
> my_first_database =
>  (DESCRIPTION =
>    (ADDRESS =
>      (PROTOCOL = TCP)
>      (HOST = myserver.whereveritis.com)
>      (PORT = 1521)
>    )
>    (CONNECT_DATA =
>      (SERVICE_NAME = whatever_the_dba_called_it)
>    )
>  )
>
> Yes, lower case entries in the above example are placeholders.  HOST can
> be be defined using a DNS-enabled name or an IP address.  PORT in my
> example is the usual default, SERVICE_NAME may or may not be a fully
> qualified name depending on the how your database administrator set up the
> server instance's listener.  Often the entry name (my_first_database) and
> the SERVICE_NAME (whatever_the_dba_called_it) are the same, but they need
> not be.
>
> Then from a command line prompt:
> tnsping my_first_database
>
> If the response is "OK" then the database instance is up, its listener is
> running, and your client installation should be able to connect to it with
> a valid username/password.
>
> Geoff M

0
Spin
11/6/2008 7:24:04 PM
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:24:04 -0500, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote:

>Thx Geoff.  This answers the subject question.  I will now open a new post
>on the topic, specific to my problem.

Please stop
- top posting
- flooding this forum with RTFM questions showing you are too lazy to
read the docs.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
0
sybrandb
11/6/2008 10:13:19 PM
I am flooded with 20 projects.  I do not have time to read the documents.
Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
recognition.  And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.
Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
measure of "laziness".  You placed that label on me.  You do not know me.  I
could be lazy.  Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and do
not have time to RTM.  Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elderly
or troubled juveniles.  All of these are activities, which may in fact,
indirectly benefit you, if not the common good.  And as to top-posting, some
people prefer it.  You don't have to scroll down to see the answer.  And if
it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader default
to top-posting?

<sybrandb@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:24:04 -0500, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Thx Geoff.  This answers the subject question.  I will now open a new post
>>on the topic, specific to my problem.
>
> Please stop
> - top posting
> - flooding this forum with RTFM questions showing you are too lazy to
> read the docs.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

0
Spin
11/7/2008 1:56:42 AM
Spin says...
> I am flooded with 20 projects.  I do not have time to read the documents.

Although Sybrand can be abrupt if not outright abrasive, the advice from
both him and David that you should take the time to read AT LEAST the core
Oracle doco is absolutely correct.  If you don't have the time to do so,
you probably shouldn't try working with Oracle at all.

This is particularly the case as your other posting indicated a MSSQL
background, and because of that I'd also strenuously recommend reading
(several times!) the first couple of chapters of Tom Kyte's Oracle Expert
One-On-One which succinctly highlights the key and fundamental differences
between the two platforms.

I was a newbie once (well, in many ways I really still am) and gave you
some latitude with my response, but ignore their advice at your real
peril.

> And as to top-posting, some
> people prefer it.  You don't have to scroll down to see the answer.

It's traditional UseNet etiquette to NOT top post (most notably because
split responses like this one remain in context), and continuing to do so
is likely to lead to otherwise potentially helpful people ignoring you in
this forum.

BTW, failure to indicate your Oracle version number (to full 4 digits if
specifying an error) and platform can also engender the same reaction.

> And if
> it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader default
> to top-posting?

Because OE is the spawn of the devil?  Next you'll be saying FrontPage is
a good web editing tool!

Geoff M
0
Geoff
11/7/2008 4:48:13 AM
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 20:56:42 -0500, "Spin" <Spin@invalid.com> wrote:

>I am flooded with 20 projects.  I do not have time to read the documents.
>Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
>and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
>recognition.  And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.
>Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
>measure of "laziness".  You placed that label on me.  You do not know me.  I
>could be lazy.  Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and do
>not have time to RTM.  Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
>shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elderly
>or troubled juveniles.  All of these are activities, which may in fact,
>indirectly benefit you, if not the common good.  And as to top-posting, some
>people prefer it.  You don't have to scroll down to see the answer.  And if
>it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader default
>to top-posting?

If you don't have time to read documentation you shouldn't work with
Oracle. PERIOD. Oracle wasn't invented for people brainwashed by the
Evil Empire aka Microsoft.
Top posting is just another sign you are enslaved by Billl Gates aka
Darth Vader, aka Sauron.

Vade retro, Satanas!

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
I'll take your advice and read the docs you mentioned.
0
Spin
11/7/2008 12:58:24 PM
sybrandb@hccnet.nl wa:
>If you don't have time to read documentation you shouldn't work with
>Oracle. PERIOD. Oracle wasn't invented for people brainwashed by the
>Evil Empire aka Microsoft.
>Top posting is just another sign you are enslaved by Billl Gates aka
>Darth Vader, aka Sauron.

I suspect Sybrand may not like Microsoft much. Hard to tell, though.

--
:)
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator
0
Aya
11/7/2008 3:55:14 PM
On 7 Nov, 01:56, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:

Comment embedded (hence why it's better to not top-post)

> I am flooded with 20 projects. =A0I do not have time to read the document=
s.

We're all busy and there's really no reason to not familiarise
yourself with the Oracle documentation.  If you demonstrate that you
have at least tried many people here, especially Sybrand, will give
you very valuable help and advice.

> Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
> and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
> recognition. =A0And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.
> Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
> measure of "laziness". =A0You placed that label on me. =A0You do not know=
 me. =A0I
> could be lazy. =A0Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and =
do
> not have time to RTM. =A0Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
> shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elde=
rly
> or troubled juveniles. =A0All of these are activities, which may in fact,
> indirectly benefit you, if not the common good. =A0And as to top-posting,=
 some
> people prefer it. =A0You don't have to scroll down to see the answer. =A0

> And if
> it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader defa=
ult
> to top-posting?

Possibly the best troll this year!  LOL  ;-)

HTH

-g
0
gazzag
11/7/2008 4:49:15 PM
On Nov 6, 5:56=A0pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
> I am flooded with 20 projects. =A0I do not have time to read the document=
s.

Well, that sounds like a personal problem, as well as a personnel
problem.  Search for "decades of data" :
http://ww.uniontrib.com/uniontrib/20070128/news_lz1n28newways.html
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D01/08/06/048208

> Besides, every person who answers my question I give acknowledgement too,
> and it becomes one more notch on the belt of someone looking for industry
> recognition. =A0And then there is the intrinsic value of helping someone.

Some people think usenet is dead.

> Unless, of course, you're someone who determines another's worth by some
> measure of "laziness". =A0You placed that label on me. =A0You do not know=
 me. =A0I
> could be lazy. =A0Or I could be swamped with 20 projects at one time and =
do
> not have time to RTM. =A0Or I could be someone who volunteers at animal
> shelters full-time, or working on community projects, or helping the elde=
rly
> or troubled juveniles. =A0All of these are activities, which may in fact,
> indirectly benefit you, if not the common good. =A0And as to top-posting,=
 some
> people prefer it. =A0You don't have to scroll down to see the answer. =A0=
And if
> it was so bad, why did Microsoft make the Outlook Express newsreader defa=
ult
> to top-posting?

Each newsgroup has its own norms, this group pretty strongly feels top-
posting=3Dbad.

So, you are assuming that the default is always the best thing?  You
are assuming Outlook Express is a good product, aaaaayyyyyyy...

Some more info for newbies to the group:  http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-c=
dos.htm

> <sybra...@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

> > On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:24:04 -0500, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >>Thx Geoff. =A0This answers the subject question. =A0I will now open a n=
ew post
> >>on the topic, specific to my problem.
>
> > Please stop
> > - top posting
> > - flooding this forum with RTFM questions showing you are too lazy to
> > read the docs.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://diodon349.com/Conservative_Corner/general_pattons_famous_may_1944_sp=

0
joel
11/7/2008 7:29:28 PM
Spin wrote:
> I am flooded with 20 projects.  I do not have time to read the
> documents.

Of course ... how foolish of us. We should have known that your
life is different from ours. You, and you alone, are under
incredible stress. You, and you alone, have to multi-task. You,
and you alone, don't have time to read docs or to take the time
to learn your job and how to do it properly. You, and you alone
should be granted a special dispensation. Others may have to
wipe their feet when they walk into the house but you are excused.

What a wonderful world you must live in where your physician has
time to read the medical literature, your accountant to keep up
on the tax code, judges and attorneys on the latest changes to
the law, and the people at the grocery store the price of a head
of cabbage. And they all understand that you don't have to live
by the same rules, and excuse you, because you are flooded with
20 projects.

About twice a year I find a post here in usenet so outrageous I
make a screenshot of it to include in my lectures. Congratulations!
--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor

Hi all, I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i client connected to oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) , and I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. Thanks Angel R. wrote: > Hi all, > I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i > client connected to > oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) > , and > I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. > > Thanks If...

unit testing oracle database
Hello, what experiences have you made with unit testing an Oracle database? What tools have you used? Thank you for your answers, Regards, Berny berny wrote: > Hello, > > what experiences have you made with unit testing an Oracle database? > What tools have you used? > Thank you for your answers, > The most useful tool IMHO is Tahiti (tahiti.oracle.com). Good luck! Palooka Hi Palooka, what do you mean? tahiti.oracle.com is a collection of Oracle documentation. How would that be related to unit testing? Berny On Jul 16, 3:54=A0pm, berny <bern...@googlemail.com>...

Oracle database works properly but from designers tools I can't connect to database
I've installed Oracle 10G on my computer. I can log in using system account. by plsql. I've installed designer and tried to log from designers plsql to the same databse also using sys account - I could not't, I got ora-1017 error. What I'm doing wrong, why plsql from database installation connects me and one from designer installation disallow me from connecting ? I need databse just to run designer for entity and processes diagrams. I need Barkers notation so I can only use Oracle Designer because it's the only tool with Barkers notation. Hope to get some help from You, J...

Oracle DBA's Sybase trial out: 'lmgr' failed and 'minor' sybase database errors
Hi all, I try to install ASE 12.5.1 (free download from sybase, developer version?) on Red Hat Advanced Server 3.0 1. When I launch './setup' as 'sybase' user, I get the following: ********************************************* InstallShield Wizard Initializing InstallShield Wizard... Searching for Java(tm) Virtual Machine... .......................A suitable JVM could not be found. Please run the program again using the option -is:javahome <JAVA HOME DIR> ********************************************** Well, I DO have J2SE 1.4.2 installed (as RPM) ...

which oracle client for aix 5.3 to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5/Win database ?
Hello, i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? Thank you, Bud On Jan 11, 2:24 pm, "Bud" <tulsa...@gmx.de> wrote: > Hello, > > i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. > > which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? > > Thank you, > > Bud I don't think there is one. 8.0.5 was desupported in the previous milennium and has never been available for 5.3, which didn't exist at that time. 9i doesn't connect t...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

Openning/Shutting down Oracle database from the Client's SQL*Plus
Dear all, Server machine running Oracle Database Server on Linux and a Client machine running Oracle Client on WIndows XP. HOw it is possible to shut down/start up the Oracle database on the server from SQL*Plus of the client. I know it can be done from SQL*Plus of the server but the point is that I want to do it from SQL*Plus of the Client. Many many thnx for any tips, Miori Miori <cattorayye@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<413ebeb7$0$559$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>... > Dear all, > Server machine running Oracle Database Server on Linux > and a Client mach...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Using the DBI to connect to an Oracle server w/o connecting to a database
I've searched for the answer to this problem and have not seen it (which suggests what the answer might be ;-) ). Is it possible to use DBI (and DBD::Oracle) to connect to an Oracle server without connecting to a database? This would be the DBI equivalent of: sqlplus /nolog SQL> connect user/passwd@database; or, more similarly: sqlplus /nolog @my.sql where my.sql might be: connect user/passwd@database; select ... etc. I'm thinking this is not possible, but I hope it is. Thanks. Quoth Tim <google@hoodfamily.org>: > I've searched for the answer to this problem and...

I would like to know if someone could help me with this topic, I'm traying to analize and chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show you what's there. If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) BD wrote: > >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server > > If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show > you what's ther...

[News] Linux Doesn't Need Oracle's ZFS Because of Oracle's Btrfs

connecting to an oracle database on an hp server
Well I'm at my wits end... I have an oracle database on an HPUX box that I can connect to using this code: require 'oci8' connection = OCI8.new('user','passwd','connectstring') connection.exec("select table_row from table") do |row| puts 'column 1: ' + row[0] # outputs "dummy: X" end Works beautifully, but when I set up a rails application I get OCIError in ArtifactController#new ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified Here is my database.yml file =================================================...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failove...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would lik...

What's the difference between Oracle Database and Datawarehouse
My understanding is, a data warehouse handles higher volumn of data. Is that correct? If so, what are the other difrerence? In the DBA's point of view, do they administer differently? Thanks! Kaka wrote: > My understanding is, a data warehouse handles higher volumn of data. > Is that correct? If so, what are the other difrerence? In the DBA's > point of view, do they administer differently? A data warehouse holds a lot of information that doesn't change all that often. In contrast, an on-line-transactional database is expected to have frequent simultaneous chang...

Unable to connect to Oracle 9i database via Oracle 6i Developer
I've successfully installed Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle Forms Developer and Forms Server 6i (Patch 2) on a stand-alone PC running on Windows XP Pro but cannot connect to my Oracle databases via Developer's various functions -- Graphics Builder, Query Builder, Schema Builder, Procedure Builder, and Translation Builder. As you know, these functions want to connect to a database but I get this error at the Connect screen: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name As info, the user name and password are fine for both Oracle 9i and Developer. Oracle 9i works fi...

Replication
We have a SQLSERVER database that is replicated to many users. We are currently in an expansion phase where we need to make changes to the server database. Each time we rollout a new release, we are deleting the local replicating database and recreating. Is there any way to automatically transfer the changes from the server to existing local database without deleting? dipillama@nswccd.navy.mil (Michael diPilla) wrote in message news:<4e67e68b.0308181234.4c8e5e98@posting.google.com>... > We have a SQLSERVER database that is replicated to many users. > We are currently in an expan...

Can we write trigger on Oracle Database level for abnormal loss of connection to database?
ORACLE: I want a trigger to get fired when my application=92s connection to the database gets disconnected abnormally. I plan to monitor the Server Name and its status in the =93 v$session=93 table. Can I write a trigger that gets fired when =93 v$session=93 table gets edited? How can I achieve it? Is there any other way to execute a stored procedure and perform some steps when a connection is lost to a database? Thanks... Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. shilpa wrote: > ORACLE: > > I want a trigger to get fired when my application�s connecti...

Oracle 10g 10.0.2 client, to connect oracle 8 server
Dear Group members, I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and 8i it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error <b> "ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer supported." </b> Can i install, 2 or more version of oracle clients in same system, becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will infect my software .. process.. if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, before installation .. What is the best oracle client software can suitable for most of the server's > I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and > 8i > > it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. > when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error > > <b> "ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer > supported." </b> > > > Can i install, 2 or more version of oracle clients in same system, > becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some > SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will > infect my software .. process.. Yes you can, I currently have 3 versions Oracle 8.0.4, Oracle 9.2 and Oracle 10.2 on my work PC. No problem. > > if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, before > installation .. If yo...

[...]

Web resources about - What's a quick simple way to test Oracle connectivity between client and database server? - comp.databases.oracle.misc

TE Connectivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TE Connectivity Ltd. designs and manufactures connectivity and sensor solutions for a variety of industries including automotive, industrial ...

Mark Zuckerberg Goes Into Detail On Facebook Connectivity Lab, Internet.org
Perhaps Facebook Co-Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg is just a wee bit excited about the Connectivity Lab , the initiative aimed at using high-altitude ...

The power of connectivity
By Keven McCammon, site data center manager, Facebook Forest City Data Center Today we announced that we’re partnering with the Town of Forest ...

Facebook, Internet.org launch Connectivity Lab
... CEO Mark Zuckerberg shed some light on the company’s acquisition of drone-maker Titan Aerospace, announcing the launch of Facebook’s Connectivity ...

Samsung Galaxy S3: Connectivity demo - USB OTG, MHL, bluetooth keyboards/mice, games controllers - YouTube ...
AndroidNZ.net - the best source for Galaxy S3 content! For navigation in the video use these links: USB Pendrive @0:55, 500GB portable drive ...

Mid-2012 MacBook Airs offer improved performance and connectivity
Believe it or not, it's been nearly four and a half years since Apple released the original MacBook Air. At the time, it was revolutionary in ...

Connectivity is key in society
They’re billing it as the place where Lewisham meets Summer Hill meets the city – and with good reason.

BMW to launch new connectivity service
Soon your car will notify the dealer when it’s due for a service. BMW Australia will introduce a new suite of in-car connectivity apps in its ...

The key to a successful hybrid cloud infrastructure? Flexible connectivity
It's becoming increasingly clear that - for most organisations - taking a 'hybrid' approach to cloud adoption makes sound business sense.

Facebook Connectivity Lab promotes access to Internet in remote areas - CTV News
Facebook is giving more details about its effort to connect remote parts of the world to the Internet - and it involves drones, lasers and satellites. ...