'Adding new data file' vs 'extending existing data file size' to increase Tablespace

As the Tablespace is almost filled on the running system now, we have
to add additional space to the Tablespace.

As I understand, the following are the two options available to do
that:
1)
Add a new data file to hold the additional data in Tablespace:
SQL> alter tablespace my_TS add datafile '/someDir/my_TS2.dbf' size
100M;

2)
Resize the existing Tablespace's data file.
SQL> alter database datafile '/someDir/my_TS1.dbf' resize 200M;

What is the best way to go?
In my understanding, the 1st option is not preferable as the
Tablespace is spread over 2 data files and hence, performance may get
impacted slightly.
Hence, I would prefer to go for the 2nd option.

Kindly give your opinion on it!
0
qazmlp1209 (247)

"qazmlp" <qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> As the Tablespace is almost filled on the running system now, we have
> to add additional space to the Tablespace.
>
> As I understand, the following are the two options available to do
> that:
> 1)
> Add a new data file to hold the additional data in Tablespace:
> SQL> alter tablespace my_TS add datafile '/someDir/my_TS2.dbf' size
> 100M;
>
> 2)
> Resize the existing Tablespace's data file.
> SQL> alter database datafile '/someDir/my_TS1.dbf' resize 200M;
>
> What is the best way to go?
> In my understanding, the 1st option is not preferable as the
> Tablespace is spread over 2 data files and hence, performance may get
> impacted slightly.
> Hence, I would prefer to go for the 2nd option.
>
> Kindly give your opinion on it!

Why do you think performance would degrade when using 2 datafiles ?
Using multiple datafiles can allow you to increase I/O performance
considerably if the filesystems are mounted on different disks. Also,
smaller datafiles take less time to restore from backup (well in this case
the difference between 100 and 200 MB is nihil I suppose).

Hth,
Matthias

qazmlp wrote:

> As the Tablespace is almost filled on the running system now, we have
> to add additional space to the Tablespace.
>
> As I understand, the following are the two options available to do
> that:
> 1)
> Add a new data file to hold the additional data in Tablespace:
> SQL> alter tablespace my_TS add datafile '/someDir/my_TS2.dbf' size
> 100M;
>
> 2)
> Resize the existing Tablespace's data file.
> SQL> alter database datafile '/someDir/my_TS1.dbf' resize 200M;
>
> What is the best way to go?
> In my understanding, the 1st option is not preferable as the
> Tablespace is spread over 2 data files and hence, performance may get
> impacted slightly.
> Hence, I would prefer to go for the 2nd option.
>
> Kindly give your opinion on it!

I think you have been reading the wrong books! Actually, Option 1 is the
preferred way to go. There's certainly no performance impact. There might
even be performance advantages, if the different files are on different
physical hard disks (though that argument is a little moot these days if
everything is striped across as many disks as you can shake a stick at).

The real reason these days for breaking tablespaces up into multiple data
files is that the data file is the smallest unit of backup and recovery. It
is not a particularly good idea to pour all your data eggs into a single
disk file basket.

On the other hand, the more data files there are, checkpoints have more work
to do to complete. So you don't want to go overboard either. In your case,
if you are thinking of resizing a file to become 200M in size, do so. Keep
doing so until the file is about 2000M in size -then add a new file, and
allow that to grow to 2000M before adding the third and so on.

Some people will have different opinions on the 2000M ceiling I just
mentioned (it's been discussed here before). But the generic point is:
resize files until they are a 'reasonable' size, but when they reach that
point, accommodate further growth of the tablespace by adding in additional
files.

Regards
HJR
0
hjr (2065)

'cat file' but only if 'file' exist
I'm trying to run 'cat *.x' only if *.x files exist. What is the cleanest way of doing this? I'm doing it by shopt -s nullglob for i in *.x; do cat $i; done but this is aweful typing. -- William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> No, I will not fix your computer! I'll reformat your harddisk, though. On 2004-06-09, William Park wrote: > I'm trying to run 'cat *.x' only if *.x files exist. What is the > cleanest way of doing this? I'm doing it by > shopt -s nullglob > for i in *.x; do cat $i; done > but this is aweful typing. set -- *.x [ -f "$1" ] && cat -- *.x -- Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org/shell =================================================================== My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2004, Chris F.A. Johnson and may be copied under the terms of the GNU General Public License 2004-06-9, 06:26(+00), William Park: > I'm trying to run 'cat *.x' only if *.x files exist. What is the > cleanest way of doing this? I'm doing it by > shopt -s nullglob > for i in *.x; do cat $i; done > but this is aweful typing. zsh -c 'cat ./*.x' With bash: shopt -s nullglob files=(./*.x) if (( ${#files[@]} > 0 )); then cat "${files[@]}" else printf >&2 '%s\n' "${0##*/}: no *.x files" false fi You could also do: c...

'^=' and '~='?

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

'!' vs. '.'
Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen (in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. Here's one opinion for you: http://doc.advisor.com/doc/05352 robert.waters wrote: >Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ >control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) > >I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion >in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen >(in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200704/1 Here's my $0.02 worth on this. I tend to copy the notation style and naming conventions that I see being used in the Help files. That would be Me![text1] for a control on a form. I am of the belief that this notation explicitly refers to a control itself rather than a field in the form's recordset. Here's an example: I have a parts inventory app that uses a "Line" code, which is usually a 3-character abbreviation for a brand name, and is the na...

``awk '!a[$0]++' file'' and ``awk '{if(!($0 in rec)) {rec[$0]=1; print $0;}}' file ''
Hi all, Currently, I'm reading the book on awk programming language, but meet the following two examples which I cann't understand so well: awk '!a[$0]++' file and awk '{if(!($0 in rec)) {rec[$0]=1; print $0;}}' file Could someone here please give me some hints or explanations on the logic of above codes? Regards -- ..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :. In article <meuejm$gsf$1@aspen.stu.neva.ru>, Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > Currently, I'm reading the bo...

web('file', 'filename' '-browser') not working
Hello, I'm working on a project involving Matlab and a nice flashy GUI. To call help files, I do: web('file', 'help.html' '-browser'); On my computer, this works. After compiling it, it works. If I manage to get the current directory wrong, somehow, the browser attempts to go to www.help.com, rather than put up an error. So far so good, except when the file isn't there, which I'm ignoring for the moment. However, when I run the program on other computers (I compile the program first), it always goes to www.help.com, no matter what the pwd says, or where I put help.html. This seems to happen on about half of the other computers I try it on. Any ideas? I had thought it was just path mixups but putting 'pwd' in the appropriate places seems to indicate nothing is amiss. I do not want to use explicit path names, (ie 'file:///c:/stuff/help.html' syntax) as this program is meant for some distribution and I can't guarantee that people will always have it running from the same location. Thank you in advance, --Anne I finally did a = sprintf('file:///%shelp.html#%s', pwd, section); web('file', a, '-browser'); I discovered that the file:/// syntax does not require paths to be deliminated by '/' but can use '\' unlike what I had thought. I read a bug report that using the internal web browser crashes when using compiled code. However, a similar crash happens for me when using R2006a....

Tcl 8.6 unexpected 'file exists'
I have a proc which takes a full path argument for a file. (one of the items returned from a glob) roughly: proc handlefile {path} { #puts stdout [file normalize $path] set fsize [file size $path] #...etc } Strangely... a particular file has problems with the above. The 'file size' call returns: could not read "/usr/local/xxx/www/yyy/Newsletter/050609/~ $sueme220509.htm" no such file or directory The 'file normalize' output is "/usr/local/virtual1/hosting/base/yy/ yyy/yyy/www/Newsletter/050609/~$sueme220509.htm" Both these paths are valid, and equivalent due to some soft symlinking - and both work just fine in an interactive tclsh with 'file size' returning a size and 'file exists' returning 1. The heisenbuggish thing is - that the mere act of using puts to display the normalized path (without actually using the normalized value anywhere); causes the problem to disappear. i.e uncommenting the 2nd line in the proc above causes file size to work as expected. I'm assuming this is a bug - but at this stage I don't know if the ~ or $ characters are relevant or if it just happened to occur on this strangely named file for some other reason. This problem occurs on FreeBSD with a Tcl 8.5.b1 checked out in january - and also with 8.6b1.1 from 2009-06-14 The bug doesn't occur when I use an 8.5a4 tclkit I'll report a bug for it if it turns out to be a new one - but I just thought I'd throw ...

'to file' and 'to workspace' help
I have a model that runs a 4 degrees of freedom robot here, right now I am only working with rotating the robot though. I have the model using a repeating sequence stair block as an input, this waits 10 seconds spins 5 degrees waits 10 secs spins 5 more degrees all the way up to 360 then i have a stop simulation block that stops the simulation once it has reached 360. The model works perfectly for my purpose, but in my feedback loop that reads my encoder position i am trying to insert a to file or to workspace block so that i can keep track of the encoder readings while the robot is stopped ...

Difference between a 'file' and a 'table'
With OS400, all files are objects that can be accessed relationally. When I view the file system from Navigator (windows client), I see there is the Database and SQL tables, then there is the filesystem. I can manipulate both these objects (tables, files) with SQL. So, what is the difference between a table and a file? -- Texeme http://texeme.com Without being strict in its definition a file and a table in OS/400 are the same. If you go into object types you will find that there is a Type *FILE and a Type *TBL, maybe I will ask the next question, what is the difference ...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

Increase in 'log file sync' waits while 'log file parallel write' remains unchanged
We have small 9.2.0.8 database on AIX, from time to time it experiences waits on 'log file sync'. I am unable to explain these waits: - There is no increase in the number or size of transaction - While average wait on 'log file sync' increases from 10ms to 124ms average wait on 'log file parallel write' does not change much - approx 0.05 ms. NORMAL PERIOD: Load Profile ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Per Second Per Transaction --------------- --------------- Redo size: 30,016.82 1,384.01 Logical reads: 10,273.75 473.70 Block changes: 179.17 8.26 Physical reads: 5.36 0.25 Physical writes: 6.98 0.32 User calls: 139.45 6.43 Parses: 152.69 7.04 Hard parses: 0.11 0.01 Sorts: 81.40 3.75 Logons: 0.01 0.00 Executes: 587.69 27.10 Transactions: 21.69 PERIOD WITH WAITS ON LOG FILE SYNC Load Profile ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Per Second Per Transaction --------------- --------------- Redo size: 29,366.27 1,385.22 Logical reads: ...

Is 'du -b file' equivalent to 'wc -c file'?
Hi all, It seems that both 'du -b file' and 'wc -c file' can give the correct bytes count on the file. Are they equivalent for all case on this type of job? Regards -- ..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :. On 2015-05-22, Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > It seems that both 'du -b file' and 'wc -c file' can give the correct > bytes count on the file. Are they equivalent for all case on this type of > job? > > Regards There's no -b switch for du on my system (Mac OS X 10.10.3), and it's not in POSIX. The -c switch for wc is however standard, so use that instead. Note that you will have to use -m with wc to always get the correct number of *characters* in a file. -- :: Andreas Kusalananda Kahari, Uppsala University, Sweden :: :: a n d r e a s . k a h a r i @ i c m . u u . s e :: On Fri, 22 May 2015 06:52:32 +0000, Kusalananda wrote: > There's no -b switch for du on my system (Mac OS X 10.10.3), I can find the following for my case manpage of du: -b, --bytes equivalent to '--apparent-size --block-size=1' --apparent-size print apparent sizes, rather than disk usage; although the apparent size is usually smaller, it may be larger due to holes in ('sparse') files, internal fragmentation, indirect blocks, and the like -B, --block-size=SIZE scale sizes by SIZE befo...

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

Issue with the 'script' command in users '.kshrc' and '.bashrc' files
I am attempting to monitor users actions by using the following 'script' command: # exec script -a /tmp/${LOG} In order to capture all types of login whether 'telnet', su, su - etc etc I have put it into the .profile, .dtprofile and the *rc shell files. This works fine for CSH and SH, however if I launch another session (dtterm &) or switch shell to either KSH or BASH, then it seems to spin round and attempt to infinately create fresh 'script' sessions until I quit out. Example below: Script started, file is /tmp/x Script started, file is /tmp/x Script started,...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ##...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ########################################################################### #define MODULE #define __KERNEL__ #include <linux/config.h> #include <linux/module.h> #include <linux/kernel.h> /* printk */ #include <linux/fs.h> / #include <linux/errno.h> /* error codes */ #include <linux/types.h> /* size_t */ #include <linux/proc_fs.h> /* proc file system */ #include <linux/fcntl.h> #include <asm/system.h> /* cli, flags */ #include <asm/uaccess.h> /* copy from/to user */ /*Registers to get qadc access*/ volatile unsigned short * qadcmcr = (unsigned short *)0x40190000; volatile unsigned short * qacr0 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000a; volatile unsigned short * qacr1 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000c; volatile unsigned short * qacr2 = (unsigned short *)0x4019000e; volatile unsigned short * qasr0 = (unsigned short *)0x40190010; volatile unsigned short * qasr1...

Does '!=' equivelent to 'is not'
I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" if a != b: ... if a is not b: ... What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? pirata wrote: > I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" > > if a != b: > ... > > if a is not b: > ... > > > What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? No, they are not the same thing. == and != test to see if the *value* of two variables are the same. Like so: >>> a = 'hello world' >>> b = 'hello world' >>> a == b True a and b both have the value of 'hello world', so they are equal is and is not, however, do not test for value equivalence, they test for object identity. In other words, they test to see if the object the two variables reference are the same object in memory, like so: >>> a is b False a and b are assigned to two different objects that happen to have the same value, but nevertheless there are two separate 'hello world' objects in memory, and therefore you cannot say that a *is* b Now look at this: >>> c = d = 'hello world' >>> c == d True >>> c is d True In this case, they are again the same value, but now the is test also shows that they are the same *object* as well, because...

Difference between 'is' and '=='
Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when should we use '=='? Thanks alot~ mwql: >Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the >result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when >should we use '=='? http://docs.python.org/ref/comparisons.html -- Ren´┐Ż Pijlman mwql wrote: > Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the > result anywhere online. When is the right time to ...

logical to 'on' / 'off'
Hi, is there a function implemented doing this conversion? my Problem is, that I want to use the following code: set(handles.edit_curr_trq_sl,'Enable',get(hObject,'Value')) where get(hObject,'Value') gives the state of a checkbox thank you! function [str]=tf2oo(logic) switch logic case 0 str='off'; case 1 str='on'; end%switch end%function tf2oo() while i do not know a built in function, I use my own:) meisterbartsch wrote: > > > function [str]=tf2oo(logic) > switch logic > case 0 > str='off'; &g...

'[OFF]' as in 'offensive'???
Hi, given that 'off-topicness' is indicated as '[OT]' and taking a look at those postings that started the threads indicated as '[OFF]' (which may both be seen as being somewhat offensive) may lead to the conclusion that '[OFF]' stands for offensiveness. I don't think that this is the intended meaning so what actually *does* '[OFF]' mean? I never came across that abbreviation before (although I have been around on the USENET for quite some time) but maybe it is worth knowing? Josef 'Jupp' Schugt NOTE: mails >100 KiB are ignored -- German edition of comp.lang.ruby FAQ - http://oss.erdfunkstelle.de/ruby/ Aurox Linux - http://qurl.net/7q | http://qurl.net/7r - Firefox Thunderbird - http://qurl.net/7s | http://qurl.net/7t - Liferea Enigmail - http://qurl.net/7u | http://qurl.net/7v - GnuPG [Josef 'Jupp' Schugt <jupp@gmx.de>, 2004-12-10 23.20 CET] > I don't think that this is the intended meaning so what actually *does* > '[OFF]' mean? Off-topic. ...

difference between ',' and 'a,'
Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? Thanks Should be the same, in gforth: see , : , here cell allot ! ; ok see a, : , here cell allot ! ; ok On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 5:46:04 AM UTC-8, beeflo wrote: > Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > > I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? > > Thanks beeflo <beeflobill@gmail.com> writes: >Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > >I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? In Gforth itself, there is no difference. In Gforth's cross compiler, "a," is there for addresses, and "," is there for other cells; addresses can then be relocated when loading the image. - anton -- M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html EuroForth 2014: http://www.euroforth.org/ef14/ ...

'a'..'z'
Is it possible to achieve something like this? switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { case 'a'..'z': // do something break; } "cruster" <cruster@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151319731.988814.326200@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to achieve something like this? > > switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { > case 'a'..'z': > // do something > break; > } > There are times when an if statement may be more appropriate ;) Sorry - java is not VB :) -- LTP :) cruster schreef: > Is it possible to achieve somethi...

Override 'and' and 'or'
Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for binary manipulation... any proposals? Have marvelous sunday, Marco Dekker <m.aschwanden@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special > method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for > binary manipulation... any proposals? If you want to customize the truth value testing you have to implement __nonzero__ " __nonzero__( self) Call...

Web resources about - 'Adding new data file' vs 'extending existing data file size' to increase Tablespace - comp.databases.oracle.server