11g setting max_dump_file_size in another session

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I have a useful pl/sql script that facilitated the tracing of other
users sessions. Bascially it checked the session was connected, asked
what type of trace was required, set the max dumpfile size and started
the trace. Since upgrading to 11g this is no longer such a useful
script as the call I was using to dbms_system fails to set the max
dumpfile size.

sys.dbms_system.set_int_param_in_session
(v_session.sid,v_session.serial#,'max_dump_file_size',2147483647);

It doesn't error, just doesn't have any effect.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to how I can set this for another
session from pl/sql? Oradebug is the only method I have found that
works, but you can't call that from pl/sql, and I'd rather not re-
write the script as a shell script.

Cheers

Ralph
0
Reply Ralph.in.NZ (11) 12/15/2009 3:09:17 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.databases.oracle.server 21389 articles. 10 followers. Post

Setting SQL trace on another session
Hello all, Db : Oracle 9.2.0.7 standard edition I recently tried to set sql trace session for a session, and had an issue with trace file not being big enough. Steps that I performed are: 1) Asked the user to connect to db, without start processing 2) used exec dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session(sid,snum, true); to start tracing 3) used sys.dbms_system.set_in_param_in_session() to set the MAX_DUMP_FILE_SIZE in the session to 10,000,000 4) asked user to run the process 5) used exec dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session(sid,snum, false) to stop tracing. The problem occured was, though I hav...

remove one set from another set
hi guys,I need help on the following: a=[3 4 5]; b=[3 4], is there any function which allows me to perform kind of subtraction. like a-b=[5]? I need to remove b from a and find the difference which is 5 in this case. Thanks cat. h.shi wrote: > hi guys,I need help on the following: > > a=[3 4 5]; b=[3 4], is there any function which allows > me to perform kind of subtraction. like a-b=[5]? > I need to remove b from a and find the difference which is 5 in this > case. > > Thanks > > cat. There is a solution, yes there is! Open the help window (the que...

Session parameter value of another session
Hi, In session 1 I did - alter session set sort_area_size=100; I fired some long running query in session 1. Now from session 2 can I find out what value of sort_area_size has been set for session 1? Using v$sql is one way. Is there any another way of finding this out? Regards, Pratap Pratap wrote: > > In session 1 I did - > > alter session set sort_area_size=100; > I fired some long running query in session 1. > > Now from session 2 can I find out what value of sort_area_size has > been set for session 1? Using v$sql is one way. Is there any another > way of f...

setting of session values from a script for the same session in which it is running
Can somebody help me with the following problem..i am stuck at a point........ i want to execute shell commands from a perl script.. which r dynamic in nature... one set of commands set the environment for the succeeding commands. but the prob is the environment set is not in the same session as the next command .. so my next set of commands fail how do i set the session(or run the commands in the same session in which the script it self is running)... eg. $ perl a.pl (in a.pl we have 2 sets of commands 'setenviroment` and 'take action') this must be equivlent to=> $setenvi...

Does setting session.gc_maxlifetime affect all sessions on server?
Before I extend the users session timeout, with ini_set("session.gc_maxlifetime",86400*2); // buy the user 48 hours to make a decision, I wanted to know if this idea is going to affect all users/session on the server or just the "current user session?" There isn't a user/pass combo to get in my site. Once the cart is started, this script is invoked. When this site is released to the client, I don't want him coming back to me one day to say his site is down because of an indefinite memory full thing. Thanks! On 17 Jan 2007 08:24:01 -0800, robbiesmith79@gmail.com ...

Sending messages from a session to another session question
TELL command doesn't do it... WARN only works from the console and I don't want to :ALLOW users the WARN command... So.... How do you send a message from #S_a to #S_b and have the message sent to the area on #S_b 's screen where the function keys are? I've tried everything I know of and nothing works. Anyone have any ideas ? TIA, Brian Donaldson. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

finding a set of values in another set array of values
hi i'm trying to find how to find a set of values in another array set of values... lets say i have: pf is an array of values which is structured 1x46 pf(1)=[61,62,63,64,65] pf(2)=[62,63,64,65,61] pf(3)=[63,64,65,61,62] .... pf(46)=[...] and so on... what i need to find is: among these sets of pf from index 1 to 46, i just want to extract indexes of those with values [61,62,63,64,65] thnx. nora "Nora Ramli" <noraznita86@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h6b1cp$774$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > hi > > i'm trying to find how to find a set of values in ...

Re: Sending messages from a session to another session question
There is a program on CSL named WARNA (with SPL source) that uses the escape sequence <esc>&j#Lyour-message where # is the length of your-message. It uses PM to access the routine GENMSG to send it to a terminal, because these "screen destructive" types of escape sequences are usually cleaned out from a TELL message. ___________________________________________________________________ Keven Miller mailto:kevenm@exegesys.com http://www.exegesys.com * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/a...

Re: Sending messages from a session to another session question
You need to use MPEX, and the command is WARNF Ray Shahan "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves none of us to talk about the rest of us" --Robert Louis Stevenson? > -----Original Message----- > From: Brian Donaldson [SMTP:bmdinsocal@AOL.COM] > Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 4:41 PM > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: [HP3000-L] Sending messages from a session to another > session question > > All: > > TELL command doesn't do it... > WARN ...

setting local variable also sets SESSION variable with same name
This is troubling: echo "SESSION user is: " . $_SESSION['user']; if (isset($_GET['user'])) { // firstpass $user = $_GET['user']; $name = fGetRealName($user); echo "<br /> firstpass, SESSION user is now: " . $_SESSION['user']; results in: SESSION user is: wpd firstpass, SESSION user is now: test It appears that assigning to $user is also setting $_SESSION['user'] ------------ php 5.2.3 Any ideas why this is happening ? bill bill schreef: > This is troubling: > > echo "SESSION user is: " . $_SESSIO...

max_dump_file_size for session
Running 9.2.0.5 Ent Ed, AIX5L I ran the following in preparation of tracing a users process but the trace stopped with the file size being restricted to the init.ora setting of 10000. execute dbms_system.set_int_param_in_session(362,42675,'max_dump_file_size' , 500000000); I would think that maybe i entered the wrong sid, serial# but I used the same values for setting the 10046 event and the trace file was created. execute dbms_system.set_ev(362,42675, 10046, 8, ''); what are some other reasons why the dump file would resort back to the init setting? any help is appreciat...

What does SET SESSION; do?
I just noticed that SET SESSION; is not only correct SQL syntax, it is also described as correct syntax (e.g. following error E_US1019). What should I expect it to do? It is hard to test for its effects (if any). -- Roy UK Ingres User Association Conference 2011 will be on Tuesday June 7 2011. Put the date in your diary today. Your right Roy. I've tried this on everything I've got back to a VMS II2.0 box and they all say its cool. Looks like a hole in the syntax parser. I'd suggest you bring that one to the next code sprint. Marty -----Origina...

Re: Sending messages from a session to another session question #2
WARNF as WARN only works from the console and I do not want to assume a customer site has Vesoft on their box..... I need to be able to send messages from #S_a to #S_b and have the message displayed in the function key area of their screen. TELL, WARN and WARNF don't do it. (TELL doesn't work when a session is in quiet mode) WARN and WARNF only work from the operator console and I do not want to :ALLOW average Joe.Mortal user the WARN command (bad idea). Brian. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.e...

Re: Sending messages from a session to another session question #4
The <esc>&j... escape sequence can be found documented in the escape codes appendix (A) of the 2392a terminal manual. duane percox * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Sending messages from a session to another session question #2
> Brian, I don't recall WARNF requiring the console. I suspect it requires that you could have issued a regular WARN command if you wanted to, i.e. you have to be the console, or have the command :ALLOWed to you. In any case this is going to be a privileged operation, so the options are to either use MPEX or find/develop (or have developed) a priv mode program that can do this for you. Maybe there's something out there in the CSL already. The cheesy way to do it is to start with PM, programmatically :ALLOW yourself the :WARN command and give yourself SM and then open...

Re: Sending messages from a session to another session question #3
Brian, I don't recall WARNF requiring the console. When I try it, I can do it from any terminal. Ray Shahan "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves none of us to talk about the rest of us" --Robert Louis Stevenson? > -----Original Message----- > From: BMDinSoCal@aol.com [SMTP:BMDinSoCal@aol.com] > Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 4:47 PM > To: rshahan@schoolspecialty.com; HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] Sending messages from a session to another >...

[News] Another Linux SDK and Another Linux-Ready Set-top Box

Checking value set via "set transaction" or "alter session"
This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't find anything on either. Can anyone shed some light on how to determine the value I have used for "set transaction" (say to "read only") and for "alter session" (say to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT)? Lots of info on setting, haven't been able to find anything about checking these once they've been set. Thank you, Jack On 8 mar, 07:16, Jack <jr...@stirlingonline.com> wrote: > This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't > find anything on eit...

How to set a specific font on a printer/PDF session. Impostare un font specifico in una sessione stampante ...
I wish to set a specific font (Courier PS MT) on a printer session to obtain a "readable" PDF file, do you know how? Tanks by now Vorrei impostare un font specifico (Courier PS MT) in una sessione stampante per ottenere un PDF "leggibile" conoscete come? Grazie per ora MG ...

UPDATE register, sessions SET register.privatedata=%s WHERE register.sid=%s AND sessions.exp>%s
I want to update privatedata with has a specific session id that is not expired Now i came up with this update statement but i am not sure if it will update other privatedata's as wel that are not expired ? Normaly i would use GROUP BY register.sid in a select statement but that doesn't work in a update statement. UPDATE register, sessions SET register.privatedata=%s WHERE register.sid=%s AND sessions.exp>%s CREATE TABLE `sessions` ( `SID` varchar(64) NOT NULL, `EXP` datetime DEFAULT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (`SID`) ) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 CREATE TABLE `register` ( ...

Warning "Unknown: A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time."
Hi all, I'm trying to implement a custom session handler that writes session data to a MySQL database. It works fine about 99% of the time. Trouble is, at random intervals, I get entries like the following in my php-error.log: [28-Apr-2006 04:44:25] PHP Warning: Unknown: A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0 Occasionally, but not always, this warning will be preceded by one of these fatals: [28-Apr-2006 11:59:19] PHP Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0 Research has pulled u...

Another session of Solidworks?
Just wondered if anyone else is having this problem? SW will try to open another session without any input from myself! I've had this happening whilst working in other applications and a couple of times I've returned to my PC to see the "journal file" message sitting there waiting for an input, so it appears to be completely random (the only common denominator is it normally happens when I have very large assemblies open). If I carry on working, the next step is for SW to crash to desktop. I haven't gone to my VAR yet as I can't be sure of replicating the problem. We ...

How to redirect after setting session?
I have a login page that is supposed to redirect the user to his private page after login. But header("Location: $url") does not work after I set the $_SESSION variable - I get "Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by ... The abbreviated code on the login page looks like this: <?php session_start(); ?> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"> <html> <head> [etc, etc] [login form] <? if (credentials are valid) { session_start(); $_SESSION...

SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION
Hi, I have a problem with a special sql. My configuration : IBM DB2 V8.1.5 / AIX Procedure: CREATE PROCEDURE DB2TARAN.SetSessionAutor() SPECIFIC x.SetSessionAutor LANGUAGE SQL P1: BEGIN SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION user ;END P1 SQL0428N The SQL statement is only allowed as the first statement in a unit of work. Thanks in advance zbychu wrote: > Hi, > > I have a problem with a special sql. > My configuration : IBM DB2 V8.1.5 / AIX > > Procedure: > CREATE PROCEDURE DB2TARAN.SetSessionAutor() > SPECIFIC x.SetSessionAutor > LAN...