11g setting max_dump_file_size in another session

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I have a useful pl/sql script that facilitated the tracing of other
users sessions. Bascially it checked the session was connected, asked
what type of trace was required, set the max dumpfile size and started
the trace. Since upgrading to 11g this is no longer such a useful
script as the call I was using to dbms_system fails to set the max
dumpfile size.

sys.dbms_system.set_int_param_in_session
(v_session.sid,v_session.serial#,'max_dump_file_size',2147483647);

It doesn't error, just doesn't have any effect.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to how I can set this for another
session from pl/sql? Oradebug is the only method I have found that
works, but you can't call that from pl/sql, and I'd rather not re-
write the script as a shell script.

Cheers

Ralph
0
Reply Ralph.in.NZ (11) 12/15/2009 3:09:17 PM

See related articles to this posting
comp.databases.oracle.server 21368 articles. 10 followers. Post

Setting SQL trace on another session
Hello all, Db : Oracle 9.2.0.7 standard edition I recently tried to set sql trace session for a session, and had an issue with trace file not being big enough. Steps that I performed are: 1) Asked the user to connect to db, without start processing 2) used exec dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session(sid,snum, true); to start tracing 3) used sys.dbms_system.set_in_param_in_session() to set the MAX_DUMP_FILE_SIZE in the session to 10,000,000 4) asked user to run the process 5) used exec dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session(sid,snum, false) to stop tracing. The problem occured was, though I hav...

remove one set from another set
hi guys,I need help on the following: a=[3 4 5]; b=[3 4], is there any function which allows me to perform kind of subtraction. like a-b=[5]? I need to remove b from a and find the difference which is 5 in this case. Thanks cat. h.shi wrote: > hi guys,I need help on the following: > > a=[3 4 5]; b=[3 4], is there any function which allows > me to perform kind of subtraction. like a-b=[5]? > I need to remove b from a and find the difference which is 5 in this > case. > > Thanks > > cat. There is a solution, yes there is! Open the help window (the que...

Session parameter value of another session
Hi, In session 1 I did - alter session set sort_area_size=100; I fired some long running query in session 1. Now from session 2 can I find out what value of sort_area_size has been set for session 1? Using v$sql is one way. Is there any another way of finding this out? Regards, Pratap Pratap wrote: > > In session 1 I did - > > alter session set sort_area_size=100; > I fired some long running query in session 1. > > Now from session 2 can I find out what value of sort_area_size has > been set for session 1? Using v$sql is one way. Is there any another > way of f...

setting of session values from a script for the same session in which it is running
Can somebody help me with the following problem..i am stuck at a point........ i want to execute shell commands from a perl script.. which r dynamic in nature... one set of commands set the environment for the succeeding commands. but the prob is the environment set is not in the same session as the next command .. so my next set of commands fail how do i set the session(or run the commands in the same session in which the script it self is running)... eg. $ perl a.pl (in a.pl we have 2 sets of commands 'setenviroment` and 'take action') this must be equivlent to=> $setenvi...

Does setting session.gc_maxlifetime affect all sessions on server?
Before I extend the users session timeout, with ini_set("session.gc_maxlifetime",86400*2); // buy the user 48 hours to make a decision, I wanted to know if this idea is going to affect all users/session on the server or just the "current user session?" There isn't a user/pass combo to get in my site. Once the cart is started, this script is invoked. When this site is released to the client, I don't want him coming back to me one day to say his site is down because of an indefinite memory full thing. Thanks! On 17 Jan 2007 08:24:01 -0800, robbiesmith79@gmail.com ...

Sending messages from a session to another session question
TELL command doesn't do it... WARN only works from the console and I don't want to :ALLOW users the WARN command... So.... How do you send a message from #S_a to #S_b and have the message sent to the area on #S_b 's screen where the function keys are? I've tried everything I know of and nothing works. Anyone have any ideas ? TIA, Brian Donaldson. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

finding a set of values in another set array of values
hi i'm trying to find how to find a set of values in another array set of values... lets say i have: pf is an array of values which is structured 1x46 pf(1)=[61,62,63,64,65] pf(2)=[62,63,64,65,61] pf(3)=[63,64,65,61,62] .... pf(46)=[...] and so on... what i need to find is: among these sets of pf from index 1 to 46, i just want to extract indexes of those with values [61,62,63,64,65] thnx. nora "Nora Ramli" <noraznita86@hotmail.com> wrote in message <h6b1cp$774$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > hi > > i'm trying to find how to find a set of values in ...

Re: Sending messages from a session to another session question
You need to use MPEX, and the command is WARNF Ray Shahan "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves none of us to talk about the rest of us" --Robert Louis Stevenson? > -----Original Message----- > From: Brian Donaldson [SMTP:bmdinsocal@AOL.COM] > Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 4:41 PM > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: [HP3000-L] Sending messages from a session to another > session question > > All: > > TELL command doesn't do it... > WARN ...

Re: Sending messages from a session to another session question
There is a program on CSL named WARNA (with SPL source) that uses the escape sequence <esc>&j#Lyour-message where # is the length of your-message. It uses PM to access the routine GENMSG to send it to a terminal, because these "screen destructive" types of escape sequences are usually cleaned out from a TELL message. ___________________________________________________________________ Keven Miller mailto:kevenm@exegesys.com http://www.exegesys.com * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/a...