Accessing sqlserver database from oracle using heterogenous services

oracle 10.2.0.4 / sqlserver 2000

I have set up a database link within oracle pointing to a data source
(odbc)  which points to a sqlserver instance and a default database

I can get the following command to work

 select count(*) from brokers@rdt  ...which reads data from the
default database in the odbc

If  I try following syntax select count(*) from
database.dbo.brokers@rdt ...it doesn't work

/ Is there a syntax I can use which allows me to use the same oracle
database link to point to a different sqlserver database on the same
instance

or do I have to set up a new link pointing to a new data source
( odbc ) with the required target included as default

chris.brown@providentinsurance.co.uk wrote:
> oracle 10.2.0.4 / sqlserver 2000
>
> I have set up a database link within oracle pointing to a data source
> (odbc)  which points to a sqlserver instance and a default database
>
> I can get the following command to work
>
>  select count(*) from brokers@rdt  ...which reads data from the
> default database in the odbc
>
> If  I try following syntax select count(*) from
> database.dbo.brokers@rdt ...it doesn't work
>
> / Is there a syntax I can use which allows me to use the same oracle
> database link to point to a different sqlserver database on the same
> instance
>
> or do I have to set up a new link pointing to a new data source
> ( odbc ) with the required target included as default

"doesn't work" is very descriptive... can you elaborate?  have you
checked the log files
0
maustin (1437)
3/12/2009 10:10:17 PM
On Mar 11, 12:38=A0pm, chris.br...@providentinsurance.co.uk wrote:
> oracle 10.2.0.4 / sqlserver 2000
>
> I have set up a database link within oracle pointing to a data source
> (odbc) =A0which points to a sqlserver instance and a default database
>
> I can get the following command to work
>
> =A0select count(*) from brokers@rdt =A0...which reads data from the
> default database in the odbc
>
> If =A0I try following syntax select count(*) from
> database.dbo.brokers@rdt ...it doesn't work
>
> / Is there a syntax I can use which allows me to use the same oracle
> database link to point to a different sqlserver database on the same
> instance
>
> or do I have to set up a new link pointing to a new data source
> ( odbc ) with the required target included as default

Did you look at the oracle documentation for this?
0
johnbhurley (2707)

Oracle newbie
Appologies if this is a stupid question? Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a secondary means of access Not certain what you mean there. Do you mean that login information retained in the Internet Directory store would be retrieved by some application which would then connect to the target database with it? Definitely can be done. That's what it's for, among other things. Oracle has created products that do just this very thing. Some Oracle options depend on it. The Internet Directory does not itself connect to the target database, only to its back end database so far as I know. It simply answers requests from LDAP clients. HTH td brian white wrote: > Appologies if this is a stupid question? > > > Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e > access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a > secondary means of access ...

Best way to check oracle database server / services is alive using Java
Hi, I am looking for the best way to check whether several oracle (or any database) databases is running or not. At the moment I just attempt to connect to the server IP using Socket and conclude the database is not running if connection timed out. Which is a silly way of doing it. Appreciate any help. Best regards. On Apr 3, 9:56 pm, harishas...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am looking for the best way to check whether several oracle (or any > database) databases is running or not. > At the moment I just attempt to connect to the server IP using Socket > and conclude...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

SqlSpec

use java to access oracle database
I am writing a java program to access oracle database. My understanding is that in order to do that I have to: 1) install oracle odbc driver in the windows xp. 2) setup a data source name in windows control panel's data source manager. 3) Download the oracle jdbc driver which is a jar file. 3) Write the java code to connect to the database. My question is: 1) Where can I get oracle odbc driver that can be installed in windows that windows xp will recoginze in ODBC data source administrator? 2) If my database in located on another machine, how to setup the data source in ODBC data so...

Using Oracle Developer with Oracle 8.1.7 database
Hi. I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current versions or Oracle Developer Suite? Thank you, El DoDo march...@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current > versions or Oracle Developer Suite? > > Thank you, > El DoDo 9i client is backward compatable to 8i. However, 10g is only backwards compatable to certain 8i patchset. I can connect from 10g client to 8.1.7.4.1 but not to 8.1.7.0. Not sure about the in between patchsets as I don't have them. Regards /Rauf marchesa@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current > versions or Oracle Developer Suite? > > Thank you, > El DoDo Yes. Make sure you have patched the 8i database to make it as current as possible. -- Daniel A. Morgan...

update oracle database when ever changes are made in access database
Hi all, well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous process either changes made or not so what should i do. "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > Hi all, > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > process either changes made or not so what should i do. Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. Jim "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily@attbi.net> wrote in message news:<A3GNc.174982$IQ4.4937@attbi_s02>... > "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message > news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > > Hi all, > > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > > process either changes made or not so what should i do. > Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. > Jim but the problem is that the actual application that we are enhancing is using access and ...

Sqlserver 2000 database on Oracle 9 server
Hi! how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. or how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. Thanks Hubert Mayr wrote: > Hi! > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > or > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > Thanks > Oracle Transparent Gateway. Heterogeneous services. ASCII files. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1073922683.284194@yasure>... > Hubert Mayr wrote: > > > Hi! > > > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > > or > > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > > > Thanks > > > > Oracle Transparent Gateway. > Heterogeneous services. > ASCII files. I have read some articles about this, but I am a little confused about the difference between "Oracle Transparent Gateway" and "Heterogeneous services". I want to create a database link so that the application (logging on to Oracle) will not know whether the table is actually stored in Oracle or in SQL Server. Do I need Oracle Transparent Gateway to make this possible or ...

Access Oracle Database using NAT IP Address
We have got a NAT IP address and a open port 1521, But having trouble in connecting the database. Not working (Timeout Error) - ORA: 12535 - TNS: operation timed out Please suggest for this. <gawde.amol@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1172653591.912262.62280@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > We have got a NAT IP address and a open port 1521, But having trouble > in connecting the database. > Not working (Timeout Error) - ORA: 12535 - TNS: operation timed out > > Please suggest for this. > Is NAT working ... do you see the natted packets come out the other side of...

How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database
Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server "B" with an Access database. I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on "B". How can i do this? Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? thanks On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <m0...@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > "B" with an Access database. > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > "B". How can i do this? > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > thanks You can attach odbc tables in Access, but performance sucks big time when Access tries to resolve queries on remote tables. Keep all your data in Oracle and use passthrough queries so that Oracle does the clever stuff. (Or keep everything in Access - but concurrent access sucks). C. On 30 Apr, 14:28, "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" <..> wrote: > On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <molok> wrote: > > > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > > "B" with an Access database. > > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > > "B". How can i do this? > > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > > thanks > > You can attach odbc tables in Access, ...

Accessing local database using a dblink in Oracle 9i/10gR2
Hi DB Gurus, I have an application which tries to access data from more than one identically structured databases. Each of the databases has the same table with different data which the application reads and tries to store in a single repository. Moreover, the source tables can be big at times having three millions or more rows. Now, the application reads data from the remote databases using a dblink created in the runtime. The problem comes when the data source is in the target database instance where the application will have to create a dblink pointing to the local instance itself. Does anyone knows about any performance problem in accessing the local data using the dblink? I have tried to check the explain plan but the cost seems to be identical for a dblink or a direct access for small tables. Is there any way to check the performance in this case? Thanks, Saurangshu On Jan 3, 11:10=A0am, saurangshu <saurang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi DB Gurus, > > I have an application which tries to access data from more than one > identically structured databases. Each of the databases has the same > table with different data which the application reads and tries to > store in a single repository. Moreover, the source tables can be big > at times having three millions or more rows. Now, the application > reads data from the remote databases using a dblink created in the > runtime. The problem comes when the data source is in the target > database...

How to use icons (database, database backup, save, delete etc.) in Oracle forms 5? #2
Hello, Thanks for your reply. Could you plz inform me how should I set the environmental variable in order to attach the menus on buttons in an Oracle forms. Thanks Martin Martin wrote: > Hello, > > Thanks for your reply. > Could you plz inform me how should I set the environmental variable in > order to attach the menus on buttons in an Oracle forms. > > Thanks > > Martin You need to read the documentation. I say this because how to do it is operating system dependenat and partially because you need to invest a bit of effort on your own behalf and asking me to read the installation documentation for you is beyond the pale. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Using the DBI to connect to an Oracle server w/o connecting to a database
I've searched for the answer to this problem and have not seen it (which suggests what the answer might be ;-) ). Is it possible to use DBI (and DBD::Oracle) to connect to an Oracle server without connecting to a database? This would be the DBI equivalent of: sqlplus /nolog SQL> connect user/passwd@database; or, more similarly: sqlplus /nolog @my.sql where my.sql might be: connect user/passwd@database; select ... etc. I'm thinking this is not possible, but I hope it is. Thanks. Quoth Tim <google@hoodfamily.org>: > I've searched for the answer to this problem and...

Oracle databases on a server

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Web resources about - Accessing sqlserver database from oracle using heterogenous services - comp.databases.oracle.server

Developers getting more help with heterogenous processors
An effort to help developers get the most out of heterogeneous processors inched forward this week, promising to improve performance and reduce ...

Meta-analysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In statistics , a meta-analysis combines the results of several studies that address a set of related research hypotheses. In its simplest form, ...

Definitions H to Hythe
browse dictionary H to Hythe

artnet® Magazine - Features - The Matrix of Sensations by Donald Kuspit
THE MATRIX OF SENSATIONS by Donald Kuspit. Digital art is grounded in codes rather than images.

Microsoft opens hardware acceleration spec for C++ ahead of Visual Studio 11 beta
... available here ) in hopes of grabbing the broadest support from C++ compiler publishers so developers can have access to a wider array of heterogenous ...

The End of the Web? Don’t Bet on It. Here’s Why
... typical client/server enterprise package it would take up to 50% of the overall development budgets to deal with testing the software in heterogenous ...

Abstract - Datacide
Datacide is the magazine for noise and politics appearing since 1997. Can it be a magazine if it only comes out like once a year? Still flying ...

Author Rajesh Parameswaran explains his process, and what took him so long to admit to the world he was ...
Author Rajesh Parameswaran took a long road to his debut short story collection, which came out this week.

Revolution@1: Sex and the citizen in Egypt and America
Fundamentalists in America and Egypt are obsessed with "virtue "and "vice". But the rise of Islamists threatens to bind Egyptian women in a moral ...