Add database to existing oracle database

Hi experts,

I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
database from my machine to main server.
I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.

I'll really appreciate your kind help.
Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!

Thanks..so much
Sonika

"sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi experts,
>
> I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
> using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
> add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
> database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
> database from my machine to main server.
> I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
> before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
> good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>
> I'll really appreciate your kind help.
> Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>
> Thanks..so much
> Sonika
You are missing a lot of letters in your typing.  You might want to put the
data in a schema and not another database.  You need to look at the Oracle
Concepts Manual. (otn.oracle.com, documentation)
Jim

sonika wrote:

> Hi experts,
>
> I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
> using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
> add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
> database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
> database from my machine to main server.
> I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
> before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
> good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>
> I'll really appreciate your kind help.
> Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>
> Thanks..so much
> Sonika

The concept of a database in MS Access has no relationship to the
concept of a database in Oracle. As Jim suggests ... you need to
read the concepts manual and understand how Oracle works.

I strongly urge you to sign up for a class.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

0
Daniel
9/30/2004 4:37:20 AM
Thanks jim and Daniel,

I'll definitly join some classes, but pls. help me right now..i don't
know much about oracle, i just started with this project and i
migrated around 30 tables from ms-access to oracle.And now i need to
move this schema or tables from my machine to main server.Pls. suggest
me something..i'll really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Sonika

sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com (sonika) wrote:

>Thanks jim and Daniel,
>
>I'll definitly join some classes, but pls. help me right now..i don't
>know much about oracle, i just started with this project and i
>migrated around 30 tables from ms-access to oracle.And now i need to
>move this schema or tables from my machine to main server.Pls. suggest
>me something..i'll really appreciate your help.
>
>Thanks,
>Sonika
>
>Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1096519118.294868@yasure>...
>> sonika wrote:
>>
>> > Hi experts,
>> >
>> > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
>> > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
>> > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
>> > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
>> > database from my machine to main server.
>> > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
>> > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
>> > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>> >
>> > I'll really appreciate your kind help.
>> > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>> >
>> > Thanks..so much
>> > Sonika
>>
>> The concept of a database in MS Access has no relationship to the
>> concept of a database in Oracle. As Jim suggests ... you need to
>> read the concepts manual and understand how Oracle works.
>>
>> I strongly urge you to sign up for a class.

Ask the Oracle DBA of the main server's instance( I imagine it is not you) to handle the Export from your instance and the
Import into the main server's instance...It is not something that an inexperienced user should do without understanding the
basic concepts and the possible ramifications to the existing data in that instance, especially since you will be going from
a higher version to a lower one ( lots of complications can arise)

Sorry, but Oracle is so different from Access that essentially nothing you learned about Access will apply to Oracle.

0
john.g1 (142)
10/4/2004 6:36:29 PM
sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com (sonika) wrote in message news:<709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com>...
> Hi experts,
>
> I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
> using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
> add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
> database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
> database from my machine to main server.
> I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
> before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
> good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>
> I'll really appreciate your kind help.
> Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>
> Thanks..so much
> Sonika

You should listen to the others, especially the part about seeing your
DBA.  But anyways:

There are often problems using export/import to go from a higher to a
lower version.  The problems arise if new features of the higher
version are exported, which is likely if you are using defaults.  The
normal thing for a DBA to do is downgrade the higher version
temporarily.  But you might not have to.  Try this:

In the server database, create all the tablespaces and tables
beforehand, using the proper parameters.  Get a book about Oracle if
you don't know the parameters.  See the Oracle Utilities manual for
the exp/imp parameters.
Export the schema with compress=N.
Import with ignore=y.
Figure out all the errors and correct them.

This is not the best way to do things, but implicitly assumes only
simple things were migrated from access and you may be able to fumble
through it, learning much.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
It takes one to know one:
sonika wrote:

> Thanks jim and Daniel,
>
> I'll definitly join some classes, but pls. help me right now..i don't
> know much about oracle, i just started with this project and i
> migrated around 30 tables from ms-access to oracle.And now i need to
> move this schema or tables from my machine to main server.Pls. suggest
> me something..i'll really appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks,
> Sonika
>
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1096519118.294868@yasure>...
>
>>sonika wrote:
>>

>>>Hi experts,
>>>
>>>I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
>>>using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
>>>add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
>>>database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
>>>database from my machine to main server.
>>>I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
>>>before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
>>>good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>>>
>>>I'll really appreciate your kind help.
>>>Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>>>
>>>Thanks..so much
>>>Sonika
>>
>>The concept of a database in MS Access has no relationship to the
>>concept of a database in Oracle. As Jim suggests ... you need to
>>read the concepts manual and understand how Oracle works.
>>
>>I strongly urge you to sign up for a class.

Export followed by Import using the EXP and IMP utilities.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

0
Daniel
10/5/2004 12:40:29 AM
sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com (sonika) wrote in message news:<709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com>...
> Hi experts,
>
> I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
> using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
> add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
> database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
> database from my machine to main server.
> I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
> before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
> good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>
> I'll really appreciate your kind help.
> Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>
> Thanks..so much
> Sonika

If feasible, I would just export your database and then import it into
a specific schema in your existing database. (I am assuming your
database is small since you did this migration on your workstation)

Also, you have already done the 'migration' so now you are merely
moving data around.
0
rhugga (47)
10/5/2004 1:06:14 PM
rhugga@yahoo.com (Keg) wrote:

>sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com (sonika) wrote in message news:<709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com>...
>> Hi experts,
>>
>> I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i
>> using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to
>> add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main
>> database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this
>> database from my machine to main server.
>> I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility
>> before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is
>> good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps.
>>
>> I'll really appreciate your kind help.
>> Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!!
>>
>> Thanks..so much
>> Sonika
>
>If feasible, I would just export your database and then import it into
>a specific schema in your existing database. (I am assuming your
>database is small since you did this migration on your workstation)
>
>Also, you have already done the 'migration' so now you are merely
>moving data around.

No, actually . Sonika is not  merely moving data around, but downgrading from a v 9.2 to a v 8.1 - it is not that simple..(
for instance the EXP and IMP need to be done with the 8.1 utilities ( assuming Sonika has access to them and knows how, while
running them on the server, to connect to the instance on the local box - is it even running the listener? Some local-only
instances do not)).

0
john.g1 (142)

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

Oracle newbie
Appologies if this is a stupid question? Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a secondary means of access Not certain what you mean there. Do you mean that login information retained in the Internet Directory store would be retrieved by some application which would then connect to the target database with it? Definitely can be done. That's what it's for, among other things. Oracle has created products that do just this very thing. Some Oracle options depend on it. The Internet Directory does not itself connect to the target database, only to its back end database so far as I know. It simply answers requests from LDAP clients. HTH td brian white wrote: > Appologies if this is a stupid question? > > > Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e > access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a > secondary means of access ...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle #3
Hi Mark. >>Then creating current directry <your database.dbs> > >I think you mean it creates a directory called <your database>.exp. Yes, thanks. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 _________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail sending to informix-list ...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle #2

Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??
Hello, I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle database to IBM DB2 database? Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your Oracle version back-leveled? Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone used to convert to DB2. Thank you. Charles On 6 Feb, 01:52, "Charles Davis" <cdavis10...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 database? > > Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? > > Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your > Oracle version back-leveled? > > Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone > used to convert to DB2. > > Thank you. > > Charles I'm no DB2 basher, however, from you post you seem to be insinuating that disk space is the driving force for this conversion. Is this the case? HTH -g Charles Davis wrote: > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 database? Check your in-box at the email address you use here. I have passed you a contact that I consider as close to non-partisan as I could think of (and more importantly, I don't know what she'll say over a beer). Cheers Serge -- Serge Rielau DB2 Solutio...

Oracle databases on a server

update oracle database when ever changes are made in access database
Hi all, well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous process either changes made or not so what should i do. "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > Hi all, > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > process either changes made or not so what should i do. Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. Jim "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily@attbi.net> wrote in message news:<A3GNc.174982$IQ4.4937@attbi_s02>... > "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message > news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > > Hi all, > > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > > process either changes made or not so what should i do. > Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. > Jim but the problem is that the actual application that we are enhancing is using access and ...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each section in the tutorial covers topics such as concepts, design, required software, setup and application usage. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/74/2/opt-dev/?12788#12788 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2004 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Oracle database works properly but from designers tools I can't connect to database
I've installed Oracle 10G on my computer. I can log in using system account. by plsql. I've installed designer and tried to log from designers plsql to the same databse also using sys account - I could not't, I got ora-1017 error. What I'm doing wrong, why plsql from database installation connects me and one from designer installation disallow me from connecting ? I need databse just to run designer for entity and processes diagrams. I need Barkers notation so I can only use Oracle Designer because it's the only tool with Barkers notation. Hope to get some help from You, Jacek On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:10:05 -0800, Jacek Maria Jackowski wrote: > I've installed Oracle 10G on my computer. I can log in using system > account. by plsql. I've installed designer and tried to log from > designers plsql to the same databse also using sys account - I could > not't, I got ora-1017 error. What I'm doing wrong, why plsql from > database installation connects me and one from designer installation > disallow me from connecting ? I need databse just to run designer for > entity and processes diagrams. I need Barkers notation so I can only use > Oracle Designer because it's the only tool with Barkers notation. > > Hope to get some help from You, > Jacek [oracle@oracle16 ~]$ oerr ora 1017 01017, 00000, "invalid username/password; logon denied" // *Cause: // *Action: [oracle@oracle16 ~]$ Have you tried using...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

Oracle database
crdb1.sql connect SYS/change_on_install as SYSDBA set echo on spool /app/oracle/product/9.0/assistants/dbca/logs/CreateDB.log startup nomount pfile="/app/oracle/admin/eqdev_9i/scripts/init.ora"; CREATE DATABASE eqdev_9i MAXINSTANCES 1 MAXLOGHISTORY 1 MAXLOGFILES 5 MAXLOGMEMBERS 5 MAXDATAFILES 100 DATAFILE '/ora2/oradata/eqdev_9i/system01.dbf' SIZE 80M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10240K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED UNDO TABLESPACE "RBS" DATAFILE '/ora2/oradata/eqdev_9i/rbs01.dbf' SIZE 50M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 5120K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED CHARACTER SET US7ASCII NATIONAL CHARACTER SET AL16UTF16 LOGFILE GROUP 3 ('/ora2/oradata/eqdev_9i/redo03.log') SIZE 10M, GROUP 2 ('/ora2/oradata/eqdev_9i/redo02.log') SIZE 10M, GROUP 1 ('/ora2/oradata/eqdev_9i/redo01.log') SIZE 10M; spool off exit; crdb2.sql connect SYS/change_on_install as SYSDBA set echo on spool /app/oracle/product/9.0/assistants/dbca/logs/CreateDBFiles.log CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE "TEMP" TEMPFILE '/ora2/oradata/eqdev_9i/temp01.dbf' SIZE 20M REUSE AUTOEXTEND OFF NEXT 640K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL; CREATE TABLESPACE "INDX" LOGGING DATAFILE '/ora2/oradata/eqdev_9i/indx01.dbf' SIZE 15M REUSE AUTOEXTEND OFF NEXT 1280K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL; CREATE TABLESPACE "USERS" LOGGING DATAFILE '/ora2/oradata/eqdev_9i/users01.dbf' SIZE 15M REUSE AUTOEXTEND OFF NEXT 1280K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED EXTEN...

How to use icons (database, database backup, save, delete etc.) in Oracle forms 5? #2
Hello, Thanks for your reply. Could you plz inform me how should I set the environmental variable in order to attach the menus on buttons in an Oracle forms. Thanks Martin Martin wrote: > Hello, > > Thanks for your reply. > Could you plz inform me how should I set the environmental variable in > order to attach the menus on buttons in an Oracle forms. > > Thanks > > Martin You need to read the documentation. I say this because how to do it is operating system dependenat and partially because you need to invest a bit of effort on your own behalf and asking me to read the installation documentation for you is beyond the pale. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) ...

Web resources about - Add database to existing oracle database - comp.databases.oracle.server