Are Oracle error messages kept in a SYS table?

I'm using 9207.
--
Terry Dykstra

0
tddykstra (113)

On Sep 20, 1:04 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks...@forestoil.ca> wrote:
> I'm using 9207.
> --
> Terry Dykstra

No.  The error messages are contained in an OS file located in the
$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/mesg directory most likely oraus.msg

You can obtain error messages in SQLPlus via the following code:

set echo off
rem
rem  Pl/sql script to create procedure to report Oracle error messages
rem  in sqlplus
rem
rem  Note - you can in sqlplus issue:
rem       set serveroutput on
rem       execute dbms_output.put_line(sqlerrm(-01017))
rem
rem
rem  1996 07 11  m d powell   New script.
rem  1998 06 23  m d powell   Modify to be in-stream procedure from
stored
rem
set feedback     off
set serveroutput on
set verify       off
accept  err_code  prompt "Enter Oracle Error Number, i.e, ORA-00100 =
100 ==> "
declare
procedure  ora_error  (
  v_err_no   in  number
  )
is
v_rc       number              ;
v_msg      varchar2(100)       ;
--
begin
if  v_err_no  >  0  then
  v_rc  :=  v_err_no * -1      ;
else
  v_rc  :=  v_err_no           ;
end if                         ;
v_msg  :=  sqlerrm(v_rc)       ;
dbms_output.put_line(v_msg)    ;
end ora_error                  ;
--
begin
 ora_error(&err_code);

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

0
Mark.Powell (1630)

"Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle" error when restarting application
Hi, we're using Oracle 10g, in combination with Delphi (7). Application uses Oracle client dll (oraociei10.dll). Quick explenation about the structure (All files are on the network): - A launcher application is started by the client. The launcher application checks an .ini file for the current application versie (.exe filename with a version postfix, e.g. "Application_112.exe"). The launcher starts the executable specified in the .ini file. In this way we can "release" by putting a new .exe file and updating the .ini file. The problem: In our application we've got the functionality to restart the application when a new version is available. If the application detects there is a new version (by checking the .ini file) the user can restart the application. The next thing happens on a restart: - Application starts the launcher again, the handle of the application is passed. - Application closes itself - Launcher waits until the application handle is gone - Launcher restarts application again (new version). When starting the application again, oracle generated the beautiful: "Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle" message. Initial thought was that the Oracle client was not unloaded, so we made the launcher wait up to 60 seconds after the application was closed and before the application is started again. But even then the error occurs. Detail: When not using the oracle client , but the "n...

Strange Network Error on Oracle Database Server
Hi Oracle Gurus, We are experiencing a strange Oracle database server(Windows 2003) behaviour When we try to start Oracle database from services -- It does not start the database and in Oradim.log we see following error -- ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error and in sqlnet.ora -- Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim.exe)(HOST=host02)(USER=SYSTEM)))) However, If I try to manually start the database by login in as sys, it gets started. I have already tried following (a) Recreate the service using Oradim.exe (b) Removed sqlnet.ora file from C:\Oracle\Ora90\network\ADMIN What can be the possible reason(s) for this. Thanks If you can connect to the database instance, even if it is "idle", the service must have started. Without the service having started, you cannot connect via sqlplus.exe even on the server console (on win32). Perhaps it is taking a relatively long time for the database instance to be completely open - and the error message that you show above is a timed out connection attempt? Is the ORACLE_SID of interest "ORCL"? When you re-created the OS Service, did you set the startmode to auto or manual? Is there an init.ora in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database folder that has an IFILE entry to the real parameter file? Is the service owned by a...

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time". This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database... Thanks! "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cefcd14e-1ffa-4c85-9fa3-6dab448fc3c4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be > able to use the followi...

After installation of Oracle 9.2. The Login in Oracle Management Server creates the error: VTK-1000
Hello, I can't local login in Oracle Management Server after installation of Oracle 9.2. Where I can look the right name and status the Oracle Management Server? My Database ----------- Host-Name: PRG1 Port-Number: 1521 SID: TEST Net Service Name: TEST.PZCS.LOCAL TNS-Descriptor: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=prg1)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=test))) Silly question maybe: You did verify whether the Oracle Management Service is actually running? --- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA Hello, how I can detect, whether the Oracle Management running? I use W2k. My Oracle Services --- OracleMTSRecoveryService OracleOraHome92Agent OracleOraHome92ClientCache OracleOraHome92HTTPServer OracleOraHome92PagingServer OracleOraHome92SNMPPeerEncapsulator OracleOraHome92SNMPPeerMasterAgent OracleOraHome92TNSListener OracleServiceTEST Best Regards Wolfram Hubert wolfram.hubert@web.de wrote: >Hello, > >how I can detect, whether the Oracle Management running? I use W2k. > >My Oracle Services >--- >OracleMTSRecoveryService >OracleOraHome92Agent >OracleOraHome92ClientCache >OracleOraHome92HTTPServer >OracleOraHome92PagingServer >OracleOraHome92SNMPPeerEncapsulator >OracleOraHome92SNMPPeerMasterAgent >OracleOraHome92TNSListener >OracleServiceTEST > >Best Regards > >Wolfram Hubert Is there a OMS set up and are you entering the correct connection info for it ( it IS NOT...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Oracle Application Server Internal Server Error
Hello, We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when users try to login to the application. Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system can still work but no new users can get in. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Anybody got any ideas where to start looking? We have a TAR logged with Oracle but as usual they've said that they won't help us until we go to 9.0.4.3. Which we haven't been able to do as the patching process keeps failing. Any help would be appreciated. gnscon@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB > back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main > application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a > couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an > "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when > users try to login to the application. > > Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms > ser...

query sql server/oracle table from Db2 or join db2 table with sqlserver table
My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to db2 on the mainframe. TIA Roger ...

query sql server/oracle table from Db2 or join db2 table with sqlserver table #2
My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to db2 on the mainframe. TIA Roger Roger wrote: > My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I > need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I > also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. > How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? > I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to > db2 on the mainframe. You need to look at Websphere Information Integrator along with the relational wrappers for MS SQL server and Oracle. Ian, its a canned CRM application that currently connects to DB2. I cannot run the app on Websphere. A few years could use relational connect and create federated nickname on db2. Can I still do that ? TIA On Apr 27, 6:01 pm, Ian <ianb...@mobileaudio.com> wrote: > Roger wrote: > > My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I > > need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I > > also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. > > How can I accomplish this ? Do i n...

from sql server to oracle to ANOTHER oracle
I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. I try to write something like SELECT * FROM LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 but it does not work questions 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? 2) if so, how ? thank you! On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. > > I try to write something like > > =A0SELECT * FROM > =A0 LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 > > but it does not work > > questions > 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? > 2) if so, how ? > > thank you! use a synonym that points to the second linked table? On Nov 10, 9:27=A0pm, onedbguru <onedbg...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > > oracle db. I&#...

Oracle databases on a server

Oracle Error Messages
I have a question. Is there a cool web site that documents Oracle error messages with details showing you the top 5 reasons why such an error normally occurs along with the actions one could take to resolve the error? I know about oerr and have all the Oracle error messages manuals. But these only provide you with a very terse Cause and Action verbage. Usually the cause and action are only one sentence long each. I also have access to Metalink, which is a great asset. But what I'm looking for is a web site where I type in the Oracle error message, e.g., ORA-24315, click a button, and then I see the top five causes that most likely would generate the error message. I'd like some details here too, when appropriate, so I can fully understand cause for the error message. Now that I have a good understanding of the error message, the next thing I desire is to know what actions I can take as a DBA to correct the problem with details and sample commands to run. If there's more than one action a DBA can take, I'd like to see them explained too. Wouldn't this be nice! Thanks in advance! John D. +1 Software Engineering http://www.plus-one.com On 23 May 2005 22:40:49 -0700, "+1 Software Engineering" <plus1spamacct@hotmail.com> wrote: >But what I'm looking for is a web site where I type in the Oracle error >message, e.g., ORA-24315, click a button, and then I see the top five >causes that most likely would generate the error ...

About Oracle Error Message
Intermedia Text when I try to execute the following instruction says me: DRG-11208: ORACLE_HOME is not set What does it mean ? What Have I to do to set Oracle home ? Environment Variable ? Init.ora file ? I don't understand........ Thanks for help Roberto. "Roberto Leo" <roberto.leo@exm.it> wrote in message news:bp27g3$b0o$1@newsread.albacom.net... > Intermedia Text when I try to execute the following instruction says me: > > DRG-11208: ORACLE_HOME is not set > > What does it mean ? What Have I to do to set Oracle home ? Environment > Variable ? Init.ora file ? I don't understand........ > > Thanks for help > > Roberto. It's an environment variable. On Unix, you'd set it at the command prompt by typing "export ORACLE_HOME=/some/path", and in Windows you'd do "set ORACLE_HOME=\some\path". It gets a bit trickier on Windows in that you can also set that by means of a registry entry, or via the Control Panel... but you didn't mention an operating system, so it's a bit difficult to give you more precise help. Regards HJR ...

oracle 9i database on a aix 4.3.3 server trying to use a 32 bit compiler- error ksms.imp
We are trying to get a new setup to work. We have an Oracle 9.2.0.4 database on AIX 4.3.3. This database is using the 64 bit kernel extension. We have installed Server Express 2.1 for 4.3.3 (MF cobol compiler) which is a 32 bit app. We tried to edit the makefile used for AIX 4.3.3, MF cobol compiler OCDS, Oracle database 8.1.6. We learned about needing to relink rstora32, and the procob32� that has been done. We changed out markefile to point to all the 9i oracle 32 bit directories. We are note experienced with makefiles and not sure our makefile is ok. We are now having problems with the 32 bit version of ksms.imp. At first the file was empty. To resolve that problem we: Generated the ksms.imp as follows.. @ORACLE_HOME/bin/genksms > $ORACLE_HOME/lib32/ksms.imp and relinked the "genksms" binary: make �f $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib32/ins_rdbms.mk $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genksms Do you know if we built this correctly? We do not seem to be able to compile without using the variable ...please note the error with the variable for ksms.imp and without that variable�. I hve included the makefile below Thanks 1. Problem when makefile has commented out line #LIMPEXP=$(LIBHOME)/ksms.imp This error is received for every line of code ld: 0711-418 ERROR: Import or export file /u00/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib32/ks ms.imp at line 4219: A symbol name may only be followed by an export attribute or an address. The line is being ignore...

WINODS NT SERVER Oracle
I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, i.e., one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the workarounds. Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. Do same problem exist with pcAnywhere, VNC desktop, Citrix client. Thanks, Prem On 19 Feb 2004 18:38:10 -0800, premmehrotra@hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote: >I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing >the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service >Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, >i.e., >one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the >workarounds. Because Microsoft is Microsoft and Microsoft doesn't support the BEQ protocol used by Oracle for this purpose. The only lousy workaround is to use set local=<tns service name> prior to connecting to sql*plus in a cmd window. Also you can't use the lsnrctl program to start and stop the listener for the same reason. You need to bounce the service. > >Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console >wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. OEM? It works! Need to save the init.ora on the Oracle Enterprise Management Server, using OEM, but that is about there is. Or dump Microsux T...

Linking SQL Server tables to Oracle Tables DSN-Less
Hi, i have an oracle database and an SQL Database i query both and at the mo i have to query one then put records in an array then query the other than update the array. Is there a method in VB6 that i can simply link the two (dsn-less connection)?? If anyone as a solution you would save me hours !! Cheers Gaz gonkowonko@gmail.com wrote: > i have an oracle database and an SQL Database i query both and at the > mo i have to query one then put records in an array then query the > other than update the array. > > Is there a method in VB6 that i can simply link the two (dsn-less > connection)?? BDE (Borland Database Engine) is similar to ODBC and it allows heterogenous database joins - e.g. you can select a table from one BDE data source and joined it (using SQL) with another BDE data source. Have done this a few times in Delphi (but never put that code into production). The vast majority of times this type of thing is not a bright idea. It can (and usually do) cause havoc with performance. > If anyone as a solution you would save me hours !! I would rather solve this at server side then in VB at the client side. Oracle provides a transparent interface into other databases, including SQL-Server. From the client side the SQL-Server table will look like a normal Oracle table. -- Billy Hey Gaz, You can use Oracle Heterogeneous Services to allow ODBC based Database Links to be created in the Oracle Server, after which you can query the SQL Server t...

When inserting a bad record, send the error record to another table with Oracle Error
Say I have a table SCOTT.EMP and when someone inserts into the table and incurrs and error (Violated PK, FK constraints, etc) I want that record to write to an EMPAUDIT table so I can review it. I wrote this trigger that I thought would do the job, but it does not. My next step would be to add a field to EMPAUDIT called ERRMSG and write the SQLERRM to the table too. Just trying to get this to work first. CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER empTrg AFTER INSERT ON emp FOR EACH ROW BEGIN NULL; EXCEPTION WHEN others then INSERT INTO empaudit(EMPNO, ENAME, JOB, MGR,HIREDATE, SAL, COMM, DEPTNO ) VALUES (:new.EMPNO, :new.ENAME, :new.JOB, :new.MGR,:new.HIREDATE, :new.SAL, :new.COMM, :new.DEPTNO); END empTrg ; / Here is EMPAUDIT EMPNO ENAME JOB MGR HIREDATE SAL COMM DEPTNO AUDITDATE AUDITCODE The trigger compiles, a PK violation shows up in SQLPLUS, but the record does not go to EMPAUDIT with this trigger. On Jan 9, 10:44=A0am, zip <zipRobe...@gmail.com> wrote: > Say I have a table SCOTT.EMP and when someone inserts into the table > and incurrs and error (Violated PK, FK constraints, etc) I want that > record to write to an EMPAUDIT table so I can review it. =A0 I wrote > this trigger that I thought would do the job, but it does not. =A0My > next step would be to add a field to EMPAUDIT called ERRMSG and write > the SQLERRM to the table too. =A0Just trying to get this to work first. > > CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER =A0empTrg > AFTER IN...

SqlSpec

Web resources about - Are Oracle error messages kept in a SYS table? - comp.databases.oracle.server

Message - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A message is a discrete unit of communication intended by the source for consumption by some recipient or group of recipients. A message may ...

How a Perth SAS soldier’s spiritual message from beyond the grave changed lives
SOMETHING was telling Charlotte she had to go. She didn’t want to. She never left her cousin’s farm in the northwest of NSW before enjoying a ...

How a Perth SAS soldier’s spiritual message from beyond the grave changed lives - PerthNow Search Search ...
SOMETHING was telling Charlotte she had to go. She didn’t want to. She never left her cousin’s farm in the northwest of NSW before enjoying a ...

Apple releases OS X 10.11.4 beta 7 with Messages & Notes improvements, more
In addition to releasing the seventh beta of iOS 9.3 yesterday, Apple today has released OS X 10.11.4 beta 7 to developers and public beta testers. ...

WhatsApp testing text formatting to include bold and italics in messages
The latest beta release of WhatsApp features some basic text formatting options including bold and italics. While features in beta versions of ...

Hillary said she's "receiving messages" from foreign leaders asking "if they can endorse me to stop Donald ...
Do Americans want the foreign-endorsed candidate? We're seeing Trump tarred as xenophobic, and meanwhile Hillary touts herself as the choice ...

The Fed's Hidden Message
Officials are strangely OK with low inflation.

How to send self-destructing messages — and other iPhone messaging tricks
Check out these tips and tricks you can find within the iMessage app. Share your location, forward a text, and more! Produced by Emmanuel Ocbazghi ...

WATCH: Tom Izzo’s Emotional Message To Denzel Valentine After Michigan State’s Shocking Loss
"We just got beat," Izzo managed to croak out after a 90-81 loss to No. 15 seed Middle Tennessee State on Friday ended their pursuit far sooner ...

Duckworth: We sent a loud and clear message today
Duckworth: We sent a loud and clear message today. March 15, 2016. (WGN-TV)