Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw device?

RDBMS Version: 9.2.0.5
Operating System and Version: Solaris 8
Error Number (if applicable):
Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Data Guard
Product Version: 9.2.0.5

Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw
device?

We want to setup a disaster recovery site for a RAC database on raw
device. For reducing the work of configurations, we consider to use a
file-based datbase as the remote standby database.

Is there any problem or compatible issue to do this ?

Regards,
William

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:28:55 +0200, William wrote
(in article <544e016e.0409291928.33e736a2@posting.google.com>):

> RDBMS Version: 9.2.0.5
> Operating System and Version: Solaris 8
> Error Number (if applicable):
> Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Data Guard
> Product Version: 9.2.0.5
>
> Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw
> device?
>
> We want to setup a disaster recovery site for a RAC database on raw
> device. For reducing the work of configurations, we consider to use a
> file-based datbase as the remote standby database.
>
> Is there any problem or compatible issue to do this ?
>
> Regards,
> William

Sure, this can be done, no problem at all, as long as the disks are fast
enough to handle the logs.

With kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten,
Ronald

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle

0
devnull2 (167)

Can't database files of Oracle 9i be set up on raw volume device?
The Oracle 9i installer displayed it can't be written when I set up database files on /dev/md/rdsk/d1 or /dev/md/dsk/d1. $ showrev Hostname: sun01 Hostid: 83f6d985 Release: 5.9 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Domain: amkor.com.cn Kernel version: SunOS 5.9 Generic 117171-07 Jun 2004 how to fix the issue? Thanks. "newbie" <cd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e1kdip$lqo$1@news.yaako.com... > The Oracle 9i installer displayed it can't be written when I set up > database > files on /dev/md/r...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

Application migration from non RAC databases to RAC databases
Hello All, Do we have any material available on "migrating applications from non-RAC databases to RAC databases" ? I am asked to study the readiness of "application migration from non-RAC to RAC databses" and create analysis report. I am asked to analyse the changes required for making the migration APART FROM TECHNICAL DATABASE MIGRATION ? We know how to migrate database from non-RAC to RAC, what we need to know is "What needs to be done to avoid performance / configuration issues later after changing to RAC" etc. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this. Thanks, Vin On Sep 20, 1:14 pm, Vin <vinay.th...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello All, > > Do we have any material available on "migrating applications from > non-RAC databases to RAC databases" ? > > I am asked to study the readiness of "application migration from > non-RAC to RAC databses" and create analysis report. I am asked > to analyse the changes required for making the migration APART > FROM TECHNICAL DATABASE MIGRATION ? We know how to migrate > database from non-RAC to RAC, what we need to know is "What > needs to be done to avoid performance / configuration issues > later after changing to RAC" etc. > > I would greatly appreciate any advice on this. > > Thanks, > Vin Here's the honest answer. The only true way to test how an application is impacted by moving it into RAC is to move it int...

Oracle database works properly but from designers tools I can't connect to database
I've installed Oracle 10G on my computer. I can log in using system account. by plsql. I've installed designer and tried to log from designers plsql to the same databse also using sys account - I could not't, I got ora-1017 error. What I'm doing wrong, why plsql from database installation connects me and one from designer installation disallow me from connecting ? I need databse just to run designer for entity and processes diagrams. I need Barkers notation so I can only use Oracle Designer because it's the only tool with Barkers notation. Hope to get some help from You, Jacek On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:10:05 -0800, Jacek Maria Jackowski wrote: > I've installed Oracle 10G on my computer. I can log in using system > account. by plsql. I've installed designer and tried to log from > designers plsql to the same databse also using sys account - I could > not't, I got ora-1017 error. What I'm doing wrong, why plsql from > database installation connects me and one from designer installation > disallow me from connecting ? I need databse just to run designer for > entity and processes diagrams. I need Barkers notation so I can only use > Oracle Designer because it's the only tool with Barkers notation. > > Hope to get some help from You, > Jacek [oracle@oracle16 ~]$ oerr ora 1017 01017, 00000, "invalid username/password; logon denied" // *Cause: // *Action: [oracle@oracle16 ~]$ Have you tried using...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

Database Link to check Standby Database
I want to to create a Database Link from the production database to its Standby database. Purpose: Checking " V$LOG_HISTORY " on the Production and Standby server to idenity if all available production redo log files have been applied on the Standby datase. Questions: 1. Is it sensible to create and drop the Database Link connection everytime I run the script? 2. What will be consequences for the Standby server by creating a DB link by the Production server? In other words: During applying the redo log files from the production to the standby database will the Standby database also try to create database link (to itself)? 3. Is there a handier solution to check automatically if the both (Prod. & Standby) are in sequence? Thanks Ton wrote: > I want to to create a Database Link from the production database to > its Standby database. > > Purpose: Checking " V$LOG_HISTORY " on the Production and Standby > server to idenity if all available production redo log files have been > applied on the Standby datase. > > Questions: > > 1. Is it sensible to create and drop the Database Link connection > everytime I run the script? > > 2. What will be consequences for the Standby server by creating a DB > link by the Production server? > In other words: During applying the redo log files from the production > to the standby database will the Standby database also try to create > database link (to itself)? &...

Create Test database from Main Database
Hi We have one datawarehouse and we are developing reports at offsoure. For developing reports we need one test database at offsoure. for this purpose we need a small part of our main database export in one dump. Does this possible to create small part of database like that? If you have any other suggistion please tell me. We try to give direct access to live data base but speed is very slow and not possible to work. Thanks, Dinesh On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:58:15 -0800, dinesh.kulhari wrote: > Hi > > We have one datawarehouse and we are developing reports at offsoure. > For developing reports we need one test database at offsoure. for this > purpose we need a small part of our main database export in one dump. > Does this possible to create small part of database like that? > > If you have any other suggistion please tell me. We try to give direct > access to live data base but speed is very slow and not possible to > work. > > Thanks, > Dinesh Dinesh, I have very positive experience with Princeton Softech Move4Servers. Their product can extract a relationally correct subset of a database (follows foreign keys) and insert it into the target database. I used it while I was working for a large HMO (now swallowed by an even larger one) which had 1.1TB database before year 2000. Their website is: http://www.princetonsoftech.com Their product has been renamed and I don't know the new name. I haven't had any contact with them...

standby database not in synchronize with production database
in my oracle dr, trace file, i have the below entries repeating many times Sat Feb 7 04:01:54 2004 RFS: Possible network disconnect with primary database Sat Feb 7 04:01:58 2004 RFS: Possible network disconnect with primary database and ocassionaly, some of the below entries Sat Feb 7 04:05:04 2004 Fetching gap sequence for thread 1, gap sequence 182161-182223 Trying FAL server: Error fetching gap sequence, no FAL server specified Sat Feb 7 04:05:19 2004 therefore, i went to check the usertrace file and get the below explanation "Encountered disk I/O error 19502" and apparanetly, in my errpt, it shows the below "67581038 0207040504 T H hdisk32 DISK OPERATION ERROR F45CFAFB 0130133804 P H hdisk374 OPEN FAILURE " so i guess the culprit is the disk issues. the arch filesystem is not full in both databases. what do u think? ...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

How can i find words from database?if the database is so big?it can reduce the speed?
Please say me if the size of database become big what happen itcan reduce the speed - Compact the Database - Create proper Indexes - Make sure the database is Normalized Again, You need to post what Database you are using... -- Chris Hanscom MVP (Visual Basic) http://www.veign.com -- "mit" <mbzala@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4b7fd448.0406132308.681b6861@posting.google.com... > Please say me if the size of database become big what happen itcan reduce the speed ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

Can I create a database via oracle client?
Dear collegs, I want to know, if there is a way to create a database with sqlplus via oracle client. I realized the problem, that for the connection to the server it is mandatory the connectionString(hoststring) that contains an SID. That meens, that without an existing database, I am not able to get a connection to the oracle server via sqlplus. Is there a way, that I can do it. I would not do it with DBCA, because this should be done via a sql script. thanks best regards Markus On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 10:38:09 +0200, Markus Innerebner <markusin@yahoo.de> wrote: >Dear collegs, > >I want to know, if there is a way to create a database with sqlplus via >oracle client. I realized the problem, that for the connection to the >server it is mandatory the connectionString(hoststring) that contains an >SID. >That meens, that without an existing database, I am not able to get a >connection to the oracle server via sqlplus. > >Is there a way, that I can do it. >I would not do it with DBCA, because this should be done via a sql script. > >thanks > >best regards Markus Obviously using a connection string won't work. It won't work because you will need to have an instance, and a listener listening for that instance. The only way is to do it in sql*plus is *locally* *on the server* with *ORACLE_SID* set. I'm getting curious: is there any particular reason, other than out of lack of knowledge, why you *insist* that y...

How can create case-insensitive database in oracle?
Hi, I am basic in oracle. My Old programs write with Delphi and Databases: Access, Paradox, MySQL, Microsoft SQL. I write my code (SQL code) case-insensitivae, but now i need use oracle database. The Oracle by default is case-sensitive, How can used case-insensitive in oracle. Thanks Madjid Nasiri "Madjid Nasiri" wrote... > Hi, > I am basic in oracle. My Old programs write with Delphi and Databases: > Access, Paradox, MySQL, Microsoft SQL. > I write my code (SQL code) case-insensitivae, but now i need use > oracle database. The Oracle by default is case-sensitive, How can used > case-insensitive in oracle. > > Thanks > Madjid Nasiri Hi Madjid, I hope you are going to use a version >= 8.1.7 (9.2.0.4 would be best). Since you don't provide much infos to play around with, here are 2 two possible meanings of your post: 1. You want to store data case insensitive: do an 'insert... values(upper('Abcd'))...'. This will put your data in upper case into the tables. 2. Your data will be mixed-case and you want to select them case insensitive: create 'function based indexes' on every column you want to use in your where-clauses. Then 'select ... where <column_name> = 'ABCD'. If my assumptions about your intention are wrong, please explain it a little. hth, Guido Guido Konsolke wrote: > > "Madjid Nasiri" wrote... > > Hi, >...

Web resources about - Can I create a file-based standby database for a RAC database on raw device? - comp.databases.oracle.server

File:Component-based Software Engineering (CBSE) - example 1.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain . This applies worldwide. This file contains additional information, ...

Review: Doo for Mac — the incredible new cloud-based file manager
... you have to do is keep saving files exactly the way you did before. Doo keeps copies of a massive range of filetypes organized for you, based ...

O&O DiskImage Professional 10 promises faster file-based backup, adds support for Windows 10
... and support for integrating drivers into the program’s rescue boot medium. O&O DiskImage 10’s headline new feature is its brand new file-based ...

AMC Networks Extends Use of Venera's Pulsar Automated File-Based QC System to Increase Content Analysis ...
Leading Media Company Cites Simplicity, Feature Set, Performance, and Value as Reasons for Continued Investment in Venera's Pulsar ProductBURBANK, ...

Windows 8.1 build hints at Metro-based file manager
A new build of the update to Windows 8 points to a possible file manager for the Metro environment and better app window multitasking, says The ...

Cloud-based file sharing challenges the enterprise - CSO Online - Security and Risk
When it comes to cloud-based file sharing, users aren't necessarily obeying the rules. In this paper, we explore trends in file sharing, the ...

Type-Safe File-Based Configuration
Front loading error detection allows you to use configuration properties without having to worry about things like type mismatches, missing or ...

File-based, Object Storage Market to Hit $23B in 2013: IDC
IDC says the continued sharp increase in overall enterprise storage systems sales can be traced directly to a shift to FOBS from conventional ...

Social Security Q&A: Can My Spouse, a Retired Teacher, File Based on My Record?
... who taught and paid very little Social Security taxes on previous employment will be able to receive spouse's and survivor's benefits based ...

LogMeIn Intros Cubby Enterprise Cloud-based File Sync and Share
LogMeIn has launched a new business version of its Cubby cloud-based file sync and share product to assist MSPs with managing data. This new ...