Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?

Hi all,

We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a
new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7
datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has
to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application
db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do
an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7
datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the
following:

- create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database
- create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database
- create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7
database
- create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8
database

Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which
indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table.

Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit
database in this way?

Jaap.

yes

"Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a
> new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7
> datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has
> to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application
> db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do
> an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7
> datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the
> following:
>
> - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database
> - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database
> - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7
> database
> - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8
> database
>
> Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which
> indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table.
>
> Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit
> database in this way?
>
> Jaap.

0
messner1 (13)

Web resources about - Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database? - comp.databases.oracle.server

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

IObit Driver Booster debuts new fix-it tool, widens driver update database
... The update also includes various optimizations to improve user experience, performance and stability, plus widens the tool’s driver database ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...