Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?

Hi all,

We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a
new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7
datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has
to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application
db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do
an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7
datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the
following:

- create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database
- create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database
- create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7
database
- create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8
database

Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which
indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table.

Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit
database in this way?

Jaap.

yes

"Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a
> new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7
> datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has
> to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application
> db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do
> an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7
> datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the
> following:
>
> - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database
> - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database
> - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7
> database
> - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8
> database
>
> Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which
> indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table.
>
> Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit
> database in this way?
>
> Jaap.

0
messner1 (13)

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

How many times can we see the same request from someone who wants to access data from a 'pick' database through what has come to be 'standard' practices (odbc, oledb) and still get the same old sloppy ' buy this proprietary utility (and above all, my services)' answer. I think most of these pick flavors should have some sort of layer (by now!) to handle this; If someone needs to do this, the service is really 'education' i.e to show them how. Lets cut the shit now and stop with this tired and silly BS and sad marketing schlock. Regards, -Jim ...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features si...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8...

Any one can help me : how can convert Access database to SQL Server's database?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0068_01C39D9D.2C554D40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable hi:=20 i want use vb 6 to design a interface connecting behind a batabase file, = i had a ready-made Access database file: **.mdb, now the problem is how = i can directly use parts of the database to convert to SQL server's = database ? and how i can conneting the interface to the SQL server = database? if it were difficult, how i could conneting the my vb = interface to Access database....

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a databas...

Restore database fails because database is in use.
I'm a newbie so please be gentle. In attempting to run a restore I get the following error message: "Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use." However, it doesn't appear that there are any connections to the database. At the suggestion of another thread, I ran sp_who2 and there are no connections to the database in question. I've been running the same restore for months and all has been well, until yesterday.... I wrote an .asp page (below) to test connectivity to this database. The vb code ran successfully and soon thereafter, my nightl...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Tha...

How to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle database?
Well,actually i need to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle database,but i don't know hot to do that, somebody can help me? Probably you are thinking that this doesn't makes sense, but I need to pass some info(each 3 months) from a Oracle database(a very large database) to a MySQL database (a lot smaller database). Thank you in advance. abelito_morelos@terra.com (The Magus) wrote in message news:<867afc1b.0401121252.7a7dfa67@posting.google.com>... > Well,actually i need to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle > database,but i don't know hot to d...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

Can we write trigger on Oracle Database level for abnormal loss of connection to database?
ORACLE: I want a trigger to get fired when my application=92s connection to the database gets disconnected abnormally. I plan to monitor the Server Name and its status in the =93 v$session=93 table. Can I write a trigger that gets fired when =93 v$session=93 table gets edited? How can I achieve it? Is there any other way to execute a stored procedure and perform some steps when a connection is lost to a database? Thanks... Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. shilpa wrote: > ORACLE: > > I want a trigger to get fired when my application�s connection to the > database gets disconnected abnormally. > > I plan to monitor the Server Name and its status in the � v$session� > table. > > Can I write a trigger that gets fired when � v$session� table gets > edited? How can I achieve it? > > Is there any other way to execute a stored procedure and perform some > steps when a connection is lost to a database? > > Thanks... > > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Look up SYSTEM EVENT TRIGGERS in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org and in the docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com. Consider the AFTER SERVERERROR and BEFORE LOGOFF triggers. -- Daniel A. Morgan Oracle Ace Director & Instructor University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:53:58 -0700 (PDT...

How to use icons (database, database backup, save, delete etc.) in Oracle forms 5?
Hi Everyone, I am using Oracle forms 5. I want to use iconic buttons in Oracle forms 5 for database, database backup, save, delete etc. Example: Like Oracle Enterprise Manager, a GUI tool, we can see the different icons for different items (icon for database backup, database etc). How should I get these icons? How should I attach these icons to the buttons/Image item in Oracle Forms ? Should I give the file path of these icons in property palette of an item in Oracle forms? If yes, then which property of item, will I use in order to attach the icons? Please send the solu...

Web resources about - Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database? - comp.databases.oracle.server

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

IObit Driver Booster debuts new fix-it tool, widens driver update database
... The update also includes various optimizations to improve user experience, performance and stability, plus widens the tool’s driver database ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...