Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database

Good afternoon,

I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into
an oracle 9i instance.  Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris Boerman

0
cboerman (1)

cboerman@comcast.net schreef:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into
> an oracle 9i instance.  Any suggestions/thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Boerman

Of course. It's called downgrading.

Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're:
1) skillful
2) lucky

You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this.
Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G?
Why do you think these are called "new"?

So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works.
Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel
<frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote:

>cboerman@comcast.net schreef:
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into
>> an oracle 9i instance.  Any suggestions/thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris Boerman
>>

>Of course. It's called downgrading.
>
>Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're:
>1) skillful
>2) lucky
>
>You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this.
>Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G?
>Why do you think these are called "new"?
>
>So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works.
>Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works.

I don't see why there should be so much 'luck' involved. I've done
this back in 8->7.3.4 days, and I wouldn't think the process has
changed much.

If I recall correctly, you need to run catexp from 9i on 10g database
and then use the 9i exp binary to do the actual export.

-Andrey
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
remove NSPAM to email

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller. Jim Matt wrote: > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! Actually, to get the same set of options ...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Oracle database works properly but from designers tools I can't connect to database
I've installed Oracle 10G on my computer. I can log in using system account. by plsql. I've installed designer and tried to log from designers plsql to the same databse also using sys account - I could not't, I got ora-1017 error. What I'm doing wrong, why plsql from database installation connects me and one from designer installation disallow me from connecting ? I need databse just to run designer for entity and processes diagrams. I need Barkers notation so I can only use Oracle Designer because it's the only tool with Barkers notation. Hope to get some help from You, Jacek On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:10:05 -0800, Jacek Maria Jackowski wrote: > I've installed Oracle 10G on my computer. I can log in using system > account. by plsql. I've installed designer and tried to log from > designers plsql to the same databse also using sys account - I could > not't, I got ora-1017 error. What I'm doing wrong, why plsql from > database installation connects me and one from designer installation > disallow me from connecting ? I need databse just to run designer for > entity and processes diagrams. I need Barkers notation so I can only use > Oracle Designer because it's the only tool with Barkers notation. > > Hope to get some help from You, > Jacek [oracle@oracle16 ~]$ oerr ora 1017 01017, 00000, "invalid username/password; logon denied" // *Cause: // *Action: [oracle@oracle16 ~]$ Have you tried using...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each section in the tutorial covers topics such as concepts, design, required software, setup and application usage. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/74/2/opt-dev/?12788#12788 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2004 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

[Oracle 9i Personal Edition] Start oracle database...
Hi, I've installed the Oracle 9i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 machine. I've choosed to install only the software and to skip the creation of a database during installation procedure. I've restarted the machine and I've made next step to create a database manually (following the "Oracle 9i Administration Guide": 1. I've created a Password File with the command orapwd in the $oracle_home directory The password I've choosed is "secret". 2. I've created an initialization file in the oradata directory with the name init$db_name.ora 3. I connect with the command sqlplus as user "sys/secret as SYSDBA" to launch the command "create database" B U T at this point when i insert a usr/pwd (i have tryed with sys/change_on_install as sysdba, system/manager, sys/secret, scott/tiger, all...) in Windows98 appears a dialog box (the same obtained clicking on the menu voice "Start Oracle database") that ask for a password: not a username/password, only a password. I've inserted the same passed to the orapwd command and all known password but it say that it's incorrect. After this I've disinstalled all and reinstalled responding "yes" when Universal Installer ask to install a database. In this way all run correctly. Probably in Windows98 u have to permit the installation of a db to use oracle. Probably the installation of ...

Free Ebook Oracle Database & Oracle 9i
Free Ebook Oracle Database Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book http://www.downloadfreepdf.com On Mar 24, 6:53 am, "steveo" <selectcm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Free Ebook Oracle Database > > Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book > > http://www.downloadfreepdf.com It's all free over at http://tahiti.oracle.com also ...

Oracle 9i client 10g database
Hi, I looked for a thread (and I'd think this would have been a common one), can you connect a 9i sqlnet client to a 10g database? From my 9i client box I keep getting : > sqlplus jstrauss/jstrauss@tsprd SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Sun Apr 11 23:15:33 2004 (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. ERROR: ORA-12541: TNS:no listener Whereas the same thing works on the 10g box ~$ sqlplus jstrauss/jstrauss@tsprd SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Sun Apr 11 23:15:37 2004 Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved. Connected to: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options SQL> Thanks Jay Jay wrote: > Hi, > > I looked for a thread (and I'd think this would have been a common one), can > you connect a 9i sqlnet client to a 10g database? > > From my 9i client box I keep getting : > > >>sqlplus jstrauss/jstrauss@tsprd > > > SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Sun Apr 11 23:15:33 2004 > > (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. > > ERROR: > ORA-12541: TNS:no listener > > Whereas the same thing works on the 10g box > > ~$ sqlplus jstrauss/jstrauss@tsprd > > SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Sun Apr 11 23:15:37 2004 > > Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved. > > > Con...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are > on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out > the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 > live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is > inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update > rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How > to ensure that these select/update does not fail. > > Kishan Thakker How much data? Which version of 9i? Which version of 8? How much downtime is possible? -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org ...

Rename Oracle Database in Oracle 9i ?, Has anyone tried to do that so far
Hello Everyone, I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. Your response will be appreciated. Thanks, Sanjoy rath. "Sanjoy Rath" <sanjoy_rath@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d2a7db61.0404090738.6a3aff5a@posting.google.com... > Hello Everyone, > > I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. > Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. > > Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. > > Your response will be appreciated. > > Thanks, > Sanjoy rath. look it up on metlaink "DJ" <nospamplease@goaway.com> wrote in message news:dBzdc.87$e32.40@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net... > > "Sanjoy Rath" <sanjoy_rath@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:d2a7db61.0404090738.6a3aff5a@posting.google.com... > > Hello Everyone, > > > > I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. > > Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. > > > > Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. > > > > Your response will be appreciated. > > > > Thanks, > > Sanjoy rath. > > look it up on metlaink > > and dont cross post to every single group you can find - very annoying > Oracle 9i ...

Unable to connect to Oracle 9i database via Oracle 6i Developer
I've successfully installed Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle Forms Developer and Forms Server 6i (Patch 2) on a stand-alone PC running on Windows XP Pro but cannot connect to my Oracle databases via Developer's various functions -- Graphics Builder, Query Builder, Schema Builder, Procedure Builder, and Translation Builder. As you know, these functions want to connect to a database but I get this error at the Connect screen: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name As info, the user name and password are fine for both Oracle 9i and Developer. Oracle 9i works fine. I can connect to my databases (Demo and OpsData) with no problem in 9i's SQLPlus window. It's the connections via Developer that's the problem. (In case you need to know, Oracle 9i reside in the C:\Oracle\ora92 directory with ora92 as the HOME. Developer 6i resides in the C:\Oracle\ora9i directory with ora9i as its HOME.) The TNSNAMES.ORA file for Oracle 9i reads as follows: # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools. OPSDATA = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = OpsData.jgyk801) ) ) INST1_HTTP = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CON...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Web resources about - Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database - comp.databases.oracle.server