Checking value set via "set transaction" or "alter session"

This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't
find anything on either.

Can anyone shed some light on how to determine the value I have used
for "set transaction" (say to "read only") and for "alter
session" (say to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT)?

Lots of info on setting, haven't been able to find anything about
checking these once they've been set.

Thank you, Jack
0
jreid (14)

On 8 mar, 07:16, Jack <jr...@stirlingonline.com> wrote:
> This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't
> find anything on either.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on how to determine the value I have used
> for "set transaction" (say to "read only") and for "alter
> session" (say to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT)?
>
> Lots of info on setting, haven't been able to find anything about
> checking these once they've been set.
>
> Thank you, Jack

Which Oracle version?
When and from where do you want to check those parameter values?
0
vitalisman (104)
3/8/2008 9:16:21 AM
Jack wrote on 08.03.2008 07:16:
> This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't
> find anything on either.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on how to determine the value I have used
> for "set transaction" (say to "read only") and for "alter
> session" (say to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT)?

For the NLS parameter see:
<http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/statviews_4220.htm#sthref2021>

For the transaction state I don't know.
Check out the Reference manual for this:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/toc.htm
Thomas Kellerer wrote on 08.03.2008 10:36:
> Jack wrote on 08.03.2008 07:16:
>> This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't
>> find anything on either.
>>
>> Can anyone shed some light on how to determine the value I have used
>> for "set transaction" (say to "read only") and for "alter
>> session" (say to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT)?
>>

> For the NLS parameter see:
> <http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/statviews_4220.htm#sthref2021>
>

> For the transaction state I don't know.
> Check out the Reference manual for this:
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/toc.htm

And the sys_context function might also be interesting for you:

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/functions165.htm#i1038176
Jack wrote:
> This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't
> find anything on either.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on how to determine the value I have used
> for "set transaction" (say to "read only") and for "alter
> session" (say to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT)?
>
> Lots of info on setting, haven't been able to find anything about
> checking these once they've been set.
>
> Thank you, Jack

Probably in a manner similar to how Oracle handles:
SET CONSTRAINTS ALL IMMEDIATE;
which is implemented as a transaction callback which is a type of state
object.

When you initially create a transaction you allocate a ktxcb structure
from a segmented array. You can see these structures in X$KTCXB and once
the transaction has started in V$TRANSACTION. If you do a state object
dump (SYSTEMSTATE level 10), you can see the transactions currently in
progress for each session (and process).

I would expect this is similar.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
On Mar 8, 4:38 am, Thomas Kellerer <FJIFALSDG...@spammotel.com> wrote:
> Thomas Kellerer wrote on 08.03.2008 10:36:
>

> > Jack wrote on 08.03.2008 07:16:
> >> This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't
> >> find anything on either.
>
> >> Can anyone shed some light on how to determine the value I have used
> >> for "set transaction" (say to "read only") and for "alter
> >> session" (say to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT)?
>
> > For the NLS parameter see:
> > <http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/statvi...>
>
> > For the transaction state I don't know.
> > Check out the Reference manual for this:
> >http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/toc.htm
>
> And the sys_context function might also be interesting for you:
>
> http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/fun...

Thanks! This is definitely the solution for the NLS_DATE_FORMAT (and
the supported other parameters set thorugh the context).

Ex:

-- check_sys_context.sql
-- 03/08/08 - created

DECLARE

v_session_parameter   VARCHAR2(50);

BEGIN

v_session_parameter := SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV', 'NLS_DATE_FORMAT');

DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('The value of the parameter is: ' ||
   v_session_parameter);

END;
/

-- end of script

SQL> @check_sys_context
The value of the parameter is: YYYY-MM-DD:HH24:MI:SS

jreid (14)
3/8/2008 7:38:31 PM
On Mar 8, 4:16 am, vitalis...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 8 mar, 07:16, Jack <jr...@stirlingonline.com> wrote:
>
> > This seemed like it would be a simple question to answer, but I can't
> > find anything on either.
>
> > Can anyone shed some light on how to determine the value I have used
> > for "set transaction" (say to "read only") and for "alter
> > session" (say to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT)?
>
> > Lots of info on setting, haven't been able to find anything about
> > checking these once they've been set.
>
> > Thank you, Jack
>
> Which Oracle version?
> When and from where do you want to check those parameter values?

Sorry, my bad. DB version 10.2, I'd like to find these out through PL/
SQL.
0
jreid (14)
3/8/2008 7:39:07 PM
On 8 Mar, 19:38, Jack <jr...@stirlingonline.com> wrote:
> Thanks! This is definitely the solution for the NLS_DATE_FORMAT (and
> the supported other parameters set thorugh the context).
>
> Ex:
>
> -- check_sys_context.sql
> -- 03/08/08 - created
>
> DECLARE
>
> v_session_parameter =A0 VARCHAR2(50);
>
> BEGIN
>
> v_session_parameter :=3D SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV', 'NLS_DATE_FORMAT');
>
> DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('The value of the parameter is: ' ||
> =A0 =A0v_session_parameter);
>
> END;
> /
>
> -- end of script
>
> SQL> @check_sys_context
> The value of the parameter is: YYYY-MM-DD:HH24:MI:SS
>
> PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.- Hide quoted text -

Or even:

DECLARE
BEGIN
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('The value of the parameter is: ' ||
SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV', 'NLS_DATE_FORMAT'));
END;

HTH

-g
0
gareth2106 (865)

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

Setting "text" value to "option" element in IE
I'm creating a select entirely through JavaScript and very strangely IE doesn't show the text in the option elements. Here part of the code: this.form_country=document.createElement("select"); var option; for(var i=0; i<arr.length; i++){ option=document.createElement("option"); option.value=arr[i].code; option.text=arr[i]._value; alert(option.value+" - "+option.text); this.form_country.appendChild(option); } It works perfeclty on FireFox, funny thing is that the alert works properly but there is no way to see any text inside :S Any idea? Of cou...

Gary Sokolich """"""

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

(VIM) Interaction between "set bt=nnowrite" and "set autoread" ?
I have an instance of VIM that I keep running all the time, displaying a file that is being modified by an external process. I do "setlocal ar" so that the display automatically updates when the file is modified. This works fine. However, I noticed that if I (accidentally) modify (edit) the buffer, then when the file gets modified externally, it does not auto-reload. This, of course, makes sense, but is not desired. So, I looked around the help files and found the bufftype variable, and it looks like "se bt=nowrite" is what I want. This makes the buffer behav...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"copy to" not honoring "set default to"
Under xHarbour, the "copy to" command doesn't seem to honor the "set default to" command. In the first program of the application, I have the following statements: set default to C:\POS\DATA set path to C:\POS\DATA;C:\POS In debug mode, if I do a View/Sets, I see: Path "C:\POS\DATA;C:\POS Default "C:\POS\DATA" which is correct according to the statements above. But if I execute the following statements: use ICVANSBK.DBF new copy to ICVRSPNS.TXT delimited the file goes to the POS directory and not the POS\DATA directory. Thi...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

Setting decimal sign ("+" AND "-") in DecimalFormat ?
How do I specify that a DecimalFormat should ALWAYS prepend the decimal sign? I thought DecimalFormat("-00000.00"); would be ok, But in that case a negative number will start with a double minus: --0034.56 Is there really no other way than System.out.println("Number=" + ((number >=0)? "+" : "") + sdf.format(number)); Mark On 21-2-2005 20:17, Mark Sizzler wrote: > How do I specify that a DecimalFormat should ALWAYS prepend the decimal sign? > > I thought DecimalFormat("-00000.00"); > > would be ok, But in that case a n...

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely...

Is there any """Anti Stringizing operator #"""
Hi everybody:D I've a string that contains the name of a class. Some members told that I can use """Stringizing Operator (#)""", but the problem is here, that I have the string, & I want something vice- versa. As we know with """Stringizing Operator (#)""", we can get the stirng name of a class or ... str <--- #ClassA But I want to instantiate a class that I have just it's name as a string. ClassA * clsA = new ??? <--- Str ??? How can I do it? I don't want to use """HardCoding"&qu...

"plot", "imshow" and "quiver"
Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, the YDir parameter under Axis Properties is set to "reverse" by default. To me this seems counter intuitive. Why wouldn't YDir be "normal" by default? When set at "normal" it turns out that my image is actually flipped upside down. On the contrary, when use "quiver" command to plot a vector field, the YDir is set at "normal" by default. Even though this makes more sense to me, because "reversed" YDir is the correct way to display an image (as in "imshow"), the result of "quiver" is that the vector fields this time depict the objects as if they are upside down... So every time I use "quiver" I always add the following line to revert the objects back to its normal orientation... set(gca, 'YDir', 'reverse')... In addition, "plot" uses "normal" setting for YDir. The only issue I have is that I use these commands fairly frequently in my job and sometimes they can get a little bit confusing in terms of display. So I wonder why MATLAB hasn't standardized them so that the objects always get displayed the same way. It's just a comment I have. Thank you. "Clare " <flyingclare@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hefvdk$3md$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi all. So recently I made the discovery that when use "imshow" command, > the ...

How to set up "Do" or "While" loops for several seperate commands
Hello math friends, I have written a program to calculate the (k-m)-rank of a partition. It involves repeating 7+ lines of code 77 times. I understand how to set up "Do" and "While" loop commands for a single, complex command, but don't understand how to do it for 7+ seperate lines of code. Can someone explain? I would be happy to foward the program, if you would like it. Thanks, Diana Mecum Hi Diana, write all your commands in a single cell, but separate them by a semicolon ';' x = 1; Do[ x += 1; Print[x], {i, 10}] Bye Ben ...

Matlab compiler, errors with "get" and "set"
Hi, I'm receiving errors for "get" and "set" commands like follows: Warning: File: c:\matlab6p5p1\toolbox\matlab\uitools\movegui.m Line: 216 Column: 9 References to "get" require the C/C++ Graphics Library when executing in stand-alone mode. You must specify -B sgl or -B sglcpp in order to use the C/C++ Graphics Library. Also, if using the -W option, you must specify either the mainhg or libhg wrapper type. A run-time error will occur if the C/C++ Graphics Library is not present when "get" is called. For some time I didn't receive these errors,...

converting from "cooked" to "raw" oracle database
i'm working on a database which consists of datafiles in filesystems (referred to as cooked in some technical documents). i want to look at the performance difference with all the files raw i.e. using logical volumes to store the data. i know its possible to backup raw files using the dd command. what i'm interested in finding out/understanding is how to perform the opposite process i.e. convert from a 'cooked' to 'raw' storage system for an existing instance containing data. can i use a dd command to copy data from file to logical volume? is an export/import the only option? i'm going to be performing a number of tests myself and will post findings here. any other knowledge on subject appreciated. stre...@yahoo.co.uk wrote: > i'm working on a database which consists of datafiles in filesystems > (referred to as cooked in some technical documents). i want to look at > the performance difference with all the files raw i.e. using logical > volumes to store the data. i know its possible to backup raw files > using the dd command. what i'm interested in finding out/understanding > is how to perform the opposite process i.e. convert from a 'cooked' to > 'raw' storage system for an existing instance containing data. can i > use a dd command to copy data from file to logical volume? is an > export/import the only option? i'm going to be performing a number of > tests myself and will post finding...

Web resources about - Checking value set via "set transaction" or "alter session" - comp.databases.oracle.server