Copy data from one database instance to another on the same server

I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live
database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database that
is on the same server.

What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or
must I use an external tool?

Thanks

CJM

0
cjmnews04 (80)

"CJM" <cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live
>database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database
>that is on the same server.
>
> What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or
> must I use an external tool?
>
> Thanks
>
> CJM

I've tried using the Import From Database feature in OEM, but when I enter
the Host Credentials I get the following error:

0
cjmnews04 (80)
11/2/2006 11:49:36 AM
"CJM" <cjmnews04@REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live
>database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database
>that is on the same server.
>
> What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or
> must I use an external tool?
>
> Thanks
>
> CJM

I've tried using the Import From Database feature in OEM, but when I enter
the Host Credentials I get the following error:

RemoteOperationException: ERROR: Wrong password for user

I've looked around for a solution to this but all the examples found point
towards a permissions issue on Windows. unfortunately our server runs Linux!
Anybody experienced this problem on a Linux box?

Any alternative methods of copying the data?

Thanks

Chris

0
cjmnews04 (80)
11/2/2006 11:53:26 AM
CJM wrote:
> I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live
> database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database that
> is on the same server.
>
> What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or
> must I use an external tool?
>
> Thanks
>
> CJM

You Oracle utilities Export and Import.   To export from Live, from the
command-line on the server:

exp system/<system_password>@<live_db> file=<filename>
log=<log_filename> owner=<schema_name> [
tables=<comma_separated_list_of_table_names> ]

To import into Test:

imp system/<system_password>@<test_db> file=<filename>
log=<log_filename>  fromuser=<schema_name> touser=<schema_name>

HTH

-g

0
gareth2106 (865)
11/2/2006 12:07:47 PM
Depending on the size of the tables, you could also create a DB link in
your Dev database pointing to the schema in the production database,
and then ...
small tables > create table abc as select * from abc@myprod;    or
large tables + 10g > datapump with db link

just 2 more ideals

0
dbaguy_ott (71)
11/2/2006 4:27:30 PM
Good point about the temporary tables. To make things easy, make sure
your environment has this set
export ORACLE_HOME=<path to oracle home>
export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin;./$PATH
export ORACLE_SID=<Sid of DB you are exporting>

Also, if you cannot do it, ask you nearest DBA : )

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> CJM schreef:
> > I have some data in a couple of temporary tables in a schema in the live
> > database. I want to copy the data to the same schema on a test database that
> > is on the same server.
> >
> > What is the best method of doing this? Can I use SQL Developer/PL/SQL, or
> > must I use an external tool?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > CJM
> >

> If they are really temporary tables, the methods
> described won't work. You can:
> - use an insert into remote table from temporary
>   table during the session
> - use an insert into local table from temporary
>   table, and use one of the methods described
>   by others.
>
> The fact you use temporary tables and want to
> copy them, makes me fear your mistake oracle for
> an other product, and you are not using temporary
> tables at all.
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

0
mfullerton (23)

"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If they are really temporary tables, the methods
> described won't work. You can:
> - use an insert into remote table from temporary
>  table during the session
> - use an insert into local table from temporary
>  table, and use one of the methods described
>  by others.
>
> The fact you use temporary tables and want to
> copy them, makes me fear your mistake oracle for
> an other product, and you are not using temporary
> tables at all.
> --

Sorry... I meant temporary as in
tables-that-I-have-created-for-a-temporary-purpose, not Temporary Tables!

I wondered whether it might be misconstrued and should have used another
phrase.

0
cjmnews04 (80)
11/3/2006 10:31:48 AM
I looked at using EXP/IMP but the environment wasn't set up correctly
(ORACLE_HOME not set etc) so while my colleagues was looking into that I
looked at using SQL*Plus. Initially, I was going to use the DB Link/'Create
Table As...' method, but then I came across this method:

copy from uid/pwd@DB to uid/pwd@DB2 replace TABLENAME using Select * from
TABLENAME;

....and it worked a treat.

Thanks to all those who helped.

Chris

0
cjmnews04 (80)

Copying database instance from one server to another
Hello All! I want to copy database instance from one server to another. Servers configuration: 1) Server from Red Hat Linux 7.3 and Oracle 8.1.7 2) Server to Red Hat Linux 9 and Oracle 8.1.7 (without database instance) I have copyed $ORACLE_BASE/admin and $ORACLE_BASE/oradata from one server to another. After this, I have set same oracle environment variables on new server. The following errors occured when I trying to startup instance ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// -bash-2.05b$ dbstart Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel SVRMGR> Password: Password: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel SVRMGR> LCC-00161: Message 161 not found; product=SVRMGR; facility=MGR ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel SVRMGR> Server Manager complete. Database "MYDB1" warm started. //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Can anybody help please? As far as I know, copying "admin" was not a good idea. If I were you, I would have created a new database in the new server (via DBCA) with the same name, settings and block size of the one you wanted to move. Then I would have replaced only this database's directory inside ORADATA with the one from the old server, recreating the controlfiles with a script and adjusting the param...

copying data from one database to another database
I want to copy data from our production database to the development database. I want to move only the data. I do not need the table structure, constrains or anything else. I think I can use the db2move command to export out all the data like the following: db2move dbname export -tc schema1 When I load the data into our development database, will it recreate the tables? My problem is that I do not want to recreate the structure. I want to make sure that I am copying over only the data. Is db2move the best utility to move the data between two databases without making any stru...

copy a database from one SQL server to another.
Hello: I'm new in the SQL server world. But I need to copy one SQL database on machineA to machineB. By looking at the tool bar, I think export will do the job for me, is anybody can provide the detail info? DO I need to create an empty database on MachineB first, any documentation repository I can read and learn? Thank you so much! Sincerely, QG Three different approaches can be found in the following links: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304692 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q224071 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-...

2005 Copy database objects from one server to another
I just upgraded to SQLServer 2005 Standard. I do development in a database on one server. When a solution is completely tested, I move it to the operational database on a different server. With SQLServer 2000, I could just open the .adp file and do File->Get External Data->Import to move the objects. That does not work with 2005. What is the recommended method for moving objects from one database to another? Obviously, the objects that changed will not be the same every time. Thanks! Jer Jer (jerry.w.black@saic.com) writes: > I just upgraded to SQLServer 2005 Standard. I do de...

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files, redologs. Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work" for recent month to the second server: dbf files control files and redo logs. Then start new server on right? Is it all I have to do? Or I will meet any problems? Regards On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote: >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... >on left and hardware the same server on right > >SUN server SUN server >Solaris >Oracle database > >And now. >Left server is working. >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all >filesystems. >After that server and database were operating back for one month. >Now. >I have second SUN identical server on the right. ...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

copy tables from one oracle server to another one
Hello, We're basically in a situation where we want to copy some tables from one oracle database in to another oracle database.Both of these oracle databases sits on different server and have same platform windows 2003. I'm basically new to oracle world so I don't know much about export/import utilities. Oracle environment is 9.2.0.0 on both the server. Thanks, kulkarni.ninad@gmail.com wrote in news:1191426900.151609.3860@ 19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com: > Hello, > > We're basically in a situation where we want to copy some tables from > one oracle database in to another oracle database.Both of these oracle > databases sits on different server and have same platform windows > 2003. I'm basically new to oracle world so I don't know much about > export/import utilities. Oracle environment is 9.2.0.0 on both the > server. > > Thanks, > > "copy some tables" does not sound a database cloning, so indeed export/import sounds a good plan. Oracle has good documentation on web. You could also start with this: http://www.orafaq.com/faqiexp.htm On Oct 3, 10:55 am, kulkarni.ni...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > We're basically in a situation where we want to copy some tables from > one oracle database in to another oracle database.Both of these oracle > databases sits on different server and have same platform windows > 2003. I'm basically new to oracle world so I don't know...

copy data from one database to another
Hi I am trying to go about copying data from one database to another. The source database is SQL server, and the destination is an Oracle database. While I can access both database' fine, and insert into the oracle database fine, I am having trouble copying data from the SQL DB to the Oracle DB. What I was initially trying to do was copy all the required data into a resultSet, and then transfer this into the Oracle DB. But i probablt cannot insert this block of data in the resultSet directly into the Oracle db i supposed??? If anyone could suggest a better more efficient way to transfer the data i would be grateful. Please see below a snippet of the code for transferring the data. For the moment I am only copying rows between a certain timestamp. Its seems to run fine, and I am not getting an error, but when I check the Oracle database, there is no data in it. //setup the drivers DriverManager.registerDriver(new sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver ()); DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver()); //connect to the MySQL database Connection connSQL = DriverManager.getConnection( "jdbc:odbc:Owenreagh", "username", "password"); System.out.println("connected to SQL DB successfully"); //connect to the Oracle database Connection connOra = DriverManager.getConnection( "jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:1521:DBn...

copying data from one server to another
Hi all I am trying to copy data from one database server to another. I only want to copy one table's data, not the entire database. The part that I am having trouble with is connecting from one database server and connect to another then telling it to insert into the second database server. Not sure if this is how it works. any help is appreciated. thanks Harold You can add linked server and use it to copy the table data across server. Creating linked server is done using sp_addlinkedserver: EXEC sp_addlinkedserver 'RemoteServer', N'SQL Server' Based on security sett...

how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server
I am on Redhat Linux 9 and using Oracle 10G (10.0.1.3?). I know how to create a Oracle database instance and use EM database control to administer the database. To access database control from a browser, Oracle asks to enter a URL: http://server_name:5500/em The URL does not specify the ORACLE_SID. I however want to create several database instances on the same box. Will Oracle automatically set up a different port (e.g., 5501) for second instance. All the documentation I have found on Oracle's web site refers to a single database instance on a server. Appreciate any pointers. Thanks a lot, Prem You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid Control or DB Console. Jining Han Jining Han wrote: > You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your > database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid > Control or DB Console. > > Jining Han I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to access many instnaces on the same server using database control. Prem Of course you can, a DB Console for each database, and you can choose that as your preferred approach, too. But I really think it's a waste of resources and a big inconvenience. You are probably better off with the "tradictional" desktop console. Just my 2 cents. Jining Han <premmehrotra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

RE: moving a database from one server to another.
How is the machine currently being archived? Have you considered just doing a straight restore from an archive? Same OS/same IDS disks set up the same so same chunks available. Unless you have very good reason to need to reorganise the data this appears to cry out for a quick and simple ontape -r. Keith -> -----Original Message----- -> From: spamfreeemail@despammed.com -> [mailto:spamfreeemail@despammed.com] -> Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:50 PM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: moving a database from one server to another. -> -> -> NT 4.0, IDS 7.3 -> -> Hi all I'm moving a small database (4gb) from one server to -> another as -> a favour to a mate. -> -> I'm savvy with IDS on Unix but have never used it on Windows. -> -> The database doesn't have any blobs. And the source and target -> operating systems and Informix versions are identical. The target -> machine has much more disk and memory. -> -> Looking through the manual it looks a little different to Unix. -> -> May I ask you a few questions? (Pardon my ignorance in advance). -> -> Should I use onunload/ onload or dbexport/dbimport? -> -> Do I need to run these commands through a command shell or is there a -> nice menu driven system to use? -> -> Do I need to specify tape block sizes or does the block size default? -> -> Are there any "undocu...

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table > spaces, data.... > > how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > > I appreciate ur help, > > thx > > Plactoon And the version and size are irrelevant? ;-) -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On 1 Aug 2006 15:18:38 -0700, "Plactoon" <elsersupremo@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi everyone, > >I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all >equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to >change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table >spaces, data.... > >how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > >I appreciate ur help, > >thx > >Plactoon That would be an inadvisible ...

Opening files from one server to another (connect to Apache/Oracle server)
Hi, We have a web setup where we're using two servers, one of which is using an ASP application running a SQL Server database, the other is using Oracle with Apache. Basically, we want users to be able to open files such as Adobe Acrobat PDF documents (which are stored on the Oracle server) via clicking links in pages on the other (SQL) server. We have security set up that each site requires a user ID and password to access site content, so we need to figure out how we can make the sites communicate that when the file link is clicked, the file is opened. We currently get a 404 (Forbidden) message. I've been told that there are stored settings in some header section (not sure if this would be Apache or Oracle doing this) to handle the user ID and password security, so my guess is we need info as to how we can make the sites handshake with this protocol. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Brian ...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

Oracle management server with only one database going to 9i
We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I have done some research into Oracle Management server. I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will only be monitoring one database, possible two. The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that fact that I can use RMAN for backup, but the real reason was using it for event monitoring. We do not have the man power to continuely look at the alert log, and we are always creating scripts to monitor table sizes, etc. I was wondering if this would be a good thing, and is it commonly used for one database. I am also looking at how much overhead it needs. Size RAM ect. Is there a good READ about this? Is there any best practices for moving to 9i? handl@mts.net (Laura) wrote in message news:<e0ddcf8.0407060608.634328b7@posting.google.com>... > We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. > > I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. > Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I > have done some research into Oracle Management server. > > I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will > only be monitoring one database, possible two. > The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that > fact that I ...

export table from one database to another on different server
i've one dev and one prod, one of the table in dev database having 70 millions records and need to export to one of the table in prod database. both machine got 2 nic, one 10/100 mbps and the other 1gbps speed. databases on raid5. the transmission between two servers is very slow, it's transmitting 1000 rows per 4 secs. sql 2000 with sp3 on both machines, i'm using dts. please advice to speed up. thanks, Pat A fast way to transfer data between 2 SQL Servers is via DTS. You can specify the 'fast 'load' and 'table lock options to maximize performance if the target ...

Moving Progress database from one SCO server to another.
Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an old SCO 5.0.4 server running a warehouse/distribution app using Progress. They have a newer server on which they have installed SCO 5.0.7 and copied the Progress files over. They say they can open the Progress application on the new server, but if they try to input data, it freezes. Is it possible to simply copy Progress over like that and expect it to work? If so, then maybe this is a permissions problem? TIA Al AB typed (on Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:03:57PM -0700): | Someone has come to me asking for help. They have an...

SqlSpec

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

Oracle 8i, copy database on new server and replay redologs
Hello, I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). The database is in archive log mode. The backup is done with : - a "cold backup" every night by the copy of all the files : all the dbf datafiles, control files, redolog file and init file. - There are two exports by day with the tool EXP. I have an another server (sort of backup server) named SRV2 with the same installation of Oracle 8i ; The same instance name, the same paths for the files : .dbf, .ctl, redo and init.ora . I can copy all the files of my cold backup from SRV1 to my second server SRV2 and start the instance with the commande : ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; In this case I have my database in state of the last cold backup. My question is : Can I replay the archived redologs of the day ? Explanation : - I have a cold backup of the last night : 01h00 AM. - My production base crash at 12h00 PM. - From 01h00 AM to 12h00 PM, 20 redologs have been archived and save on a network share. --> If I copy my cold backup (from 01h00) on the second server SRV2 and all the archived redo logs to this server (20 files) can tell to Oracle to replay the archived logs on the cold backup before open it ? I have tried to do a recover database but nothing happen. Is it possible to do it ? Thanks a lot Fabrice Comments embedded. On Jul 8, 12:35=A0pm, Fabrice <t...@test.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). > The database i...

Copy data from access database (JET) to sql server problem
This may or may not be a labview problem, but I have a set of data which has an issue if I try to copy the data from within access (2003)&nbsp;to an mssql (2000 sp3?)&nbsp;database.&nbsp; I was wondering if anyone else had this problem when trying to move to a different db? &nbsp; I am just doing a "Insert into sqldb values select * from accessdb" command, which works find from access to access, and from access to sql within sql, but not access to sql from within access.&nbsp; Britoa, Are you performing these commands in LabVIEW or from some other DB Admin tool?&nbsp; I wasn't sure if you were using LV to perform these operations or not, from your last sentence when you said from within access. The commands are using access, but I was seeing if anyone else came across such issues with labview saved data (it's a flattened cluster)&nbsp; The data saves and loads within labview just fine from both SQL and the accessDB, but when trying to move the data from access to sql, I get those issues.&nbsp; It's... strange. Britoa, Take a look at <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;thread.id=256336" target="_blank">this post</a>, it has some links that may prove useful. ...

Web resources about - Copy data from one database instance to another on the same server - comp.databases.oracle.server