Database 9i with App Svr 10g on Windows Server 2003: good idea or no?

Any information please on using Oracle 9i (9.2.0.3.0) in conjunction with
Application Server 10g?

Both on Windows Server 2003 platform.

Experts, is this a workable (certified?) combination?

Any reason to consider earlier (some say buggier) version
of AS? Is there anything in AS 10g that will not be happy talking to
Database 9i (9.2.0.3.0) on Win2K3.

Appreciate any advice on this configuration, including "you must be
crazy!" Have just heard good things about AS 10g versus its previous
incarnations.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike <bishopsbitter@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Any information please on using Oracle 9i (9.2.0.3.0) in conjunction
> with Application Server 10g?
> Both on Windows Server 2003 platform.

- Use 9.2.0.4 instead of 9.2.0.3.
- Wait until OracleAS 10g (9.0.4) comes available for Windows.

Combination should be certified. If you want the infrastructure database
to be of version 9.2.0.4, you must create the repository with the
Repository Creation Assistant (RepCA).

> Any reason to consider earlier (some say buggier) version
> of AS? Is there anything in AS 10g that will not be happy talking to
> Database 9i (9.2.0.3.0) on Win2K3.

Avoid 9iAS 9.0.2.x if you can wait until you have 10g. The 10g (9.0.4)
version is much more stable and easier to configure/install/use.

Sander

0
sander8600 (14)
2/17/2004 8:13:11 PM
Mike <bishopsbitter@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1034fkqonpus1ef@corp.supernews.com>...
> Any information please on using Oracle 9i (9.2.0.3.0) in conjunction with
> Application Server 10g?
>
> Both on Windows Server 2003 platform.
>
> Experts, is this a workable (certified?) combination?
>
> Any reason to consider earlier (some say buggier) version
> of AS? Is there anything in AS 10g that will not be happy talking to
> Database 9i (9.2.0.3.0) on Win2K3.
>
> Appreciate any advice on this configuration, including "you must be
> crazy!" Have just heard good things about AS 10g versus its previous
> incarnations.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

That is one of those "amazing and stupendous" products that is
projected to be certified but not available for download.  As opposed
to the W2K version, which is certified but not available for download.

I take it to mean there is some problem, although whether the problem
is with the product is difficult to determine.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Hopefully this will all be wrong by the time usenet propagates it.
> That is one of those "amazing and stupendous" products that is
> projected to be certified but not available for download.  As opposed
> to the W2K version, which is certified but not available for download.
>
> I take it to mean there is some problem, although whether the problem
> is with the product is difficult to determine.

Not at all. After the build has completed on Unix, the NT porting group
starts porting it to NT. Instead of holding the Unix product until the NT
product is ready, it is made available. Indeed you will have to wait
longer for the NT product - if you don't want that, you could for example
use Linux.

The Win2k version that _is_ certified _and_ available is 9.0.2, maybe you
should search harder ;-)

http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/ias/devuse_9ias_r2.html

I would however wait for 9.0.4 if you can.

Sander
0
sander8600 (14)

Oracle 8i and 9i Database concurrently on Windows 2000 Server
I am trying to install Oracle 8i and 9i Database server on same machine , but I am getting getting various errors.. I cannot start TNSListener servive of both 8i and 9i simultaneously. If i try to login to 8i Database using scott / tiger or try to create a database , I get "Tns protocol error". Cannot complete Net8 configuration and Database configuration while installing 8i Database server. Please help me for same as i tried installing 8i for many times. I have kept different home names for both 8i and 9i. Forms 6i and D2k 4.5 is already installed on the M/c. Is there any sequence for these installations. "Mayura" <mayura.jadhav@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1140675978.019512.31510@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to install Oracle 8i and 9i Database server on same machine > , but I am getting getting various errors.. > > I cannot start TNSListener servive of both 8i and 9i simultaneously. > If i try to login to 8i Database using scott / tiger or try to create a > database , I get "Tns protocol error". Check MetaLink Note 306905.1. Regards, Dimitre Mayura wrote: > I am trying to install Oracle 8i and 9i Database server on same machine > , but I am getting getting various errors.. > > I cannot start TNSListener servive of both 8i and 9i simultaneously. > If i try to login to 8i Database using scott / tiger or try to create a > database , I get "Tns protocol erro...

oracle database 9.2.0.8 32bit and windows server 2003 64bit
Hello! What about configuration like in subject... What about memory limits on 32bits? Can i rise sga more then 2GB? on 64 bit system but using 32 bit database? Any suggestion? Regards - MJ On 15 apr, 11:16, "hehehe" <m...@m.ccc> wrote: > Hello! > > =A0 =A0 What about configuration like in subject... What about memory lim= its on > 32bits? Can i rise sga more then 2GB? on 64 bit system but using 32 bit > database? Any suggestion? > > Regards - MJ Obviously, with only a little bit of thinking, you would have reached the conclusion, limits are determined by the OS of the database server. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA thx. I will check Uzytkownik "sybrandb" <sybrandb@gmail.com> napisal w wiadomosci news:b5d54371-bf21-439b-85c3-ae21dafc21be@3g2000yqk.googlegroups.com... On 15 apr, 11:16, "hehehe" <m...@m.ccc> wrote: > Hello! > > What about configuration like in subject... What about memory limits on > 32bits? Can i rise sga more then 2GB? on 64 bit system but using 32 bit > database? Any suggestion? > > Regards - MJ Obviously, with only a little bit of thinking, you would have reached the conclusion, limits are determined by the OS of the database server. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA On Apr 15, 5:16=A0am, "hehehe" <m...@m.ccc> wrote: > Hello! > > =A0 =A0 What about configuration like in subject... What about memory lim= its on &g...

massive performance drop Oracle 9i on multi processor system (Windows Server 2003, Oracle 9i, 9.2.0.6.0)
The performance of some complex PL/SQL functions has dropped dramatically since migrating from Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.0) on Windows Server 2000 to 9i (9.2.0.6.0) on Windows Server 2003. We found out, that Oracle 9i performance on a multi processor CPU machine (our server has 4 XEON CPUs, Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS) is highly dependent on init.ora parameters; unfortunately our trial and error approach to find the proper settings (we searched Oracle Tech Net (OTN) and google groups without success) did not help so far. We are testing performance behaviour with some business critical PL/SQL procedures that do authorization calculations for our application. Simplified these functions do a lot of inserts, deletes and selects in/from tables (being used as temp tables in lack of in memory temp table support of oracle 9i). We can monitor the progress within the stored procedure by using UTL_FILE functions to write a log file into the file system of the server; we real time monitor the log file using "tail -f". <PL/SQL do something> UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE(); <PL/SQL do something> UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE(); [...] When setting "CPU_COUNT = 1" in init.ora the function will typically run up to 10 seconds, when setting "CPU_COUNT = 4" it will take more than 2 minutes (!!!) We experimented with the following other parameters so far: db_writer_processes (set to 4 in combination with cpu_count = 4) fast_start_parall...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

Application Server 10g (10.1.3) on Windows 2003 Server
Hi, It's my first post here. I'm trying to install AS on W2k3 but on the final screen an error occure: Configuration assistant "OPMN Configuration Assistant" failed. What should i do? I have no experience with AS. Thx for any help. vartan kamilwojcik82@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > It's my first post here. I'm trying to install AS on W2k3 but on the > final screen an error occure: > Configuration assistant "OPMN Configuration Assistant" failed. > What should i do? I have no experience with AS. Thx for any help. > vartan Read the installation log file and find out why. -- Daniel Morgan University of Washington Puget Sound Oracle Users Group On 30 Sep 2006 13:52:39 -0700, kamilwojcik82@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, >It's my first post here. I'm trying to install AS on W2k3 but on the >final screen an error occure: >Configuration assistant "OPMN Configuration Assistant" failed. >What should i do? I have no experience with AS. Thx for any help. >vartan If the *configuration assistant* failed (so the installation is OK), look in %ORACLE_HOME%\cfgtoollogs and/or %ORACLE_HOME%\opmn\logs -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA ...

oracle 10g RAC installation on windows 2003 server
hi all i tried to install oracle 10g RAC in Windows 2003 server Enterprise Edition as per the document given in oracle site,but i get OUI- 25031 at the "configuration Assistants" page while installing CRS(Cluster Ready server) My Configuration: Servers : HP DL380 - 2 Nos Clustered OS on Both Nodes NODE 1:Primary Server ---------------------------------- Host Name: xxxxxa Domain Name:abc.local Public IP: 192.168.6.21 Public IP Name : xxxxxa.abc.local PrivateIP:10.0.0.1 Private IP Name: xxxxxa-priv Virtual IP:192.168.6.15 Virtual IP Name: xxxxxa-vip.abc.local Node 2 Secondary server ------------------------------------ Host Name: xxxxxb Domain Name:abc.local Public IP: 192.168.6.22 Public IP Name : xxxxxb.abc.local PrivateIP:10.0.0.2 Private IP Name: xxxxxb-priv Virtual IP:192.168.6.16 Virtual IP Name: xxxxxb-vip.abc.local User for Both Nodes is Administrator OS:Windows 2003 server Enterprise Edition Oracle : Oracle 10g Release 2 (10.2) for Microsoft Windows (32-Bit) Physical RAM:6GB Paging File:Min -6GB Max-12GB Local Hard Disk(On Both Nodes):E:\ -50GB Common Storage - 1 TB(EMC Storage) Disabled write Cache on both nodes Automount enabled on both nodes Configured Priv ip of both nodes on both nodes in //system32/drivers/etc/hosts Configured Public and Virtual IP in DNS error while 1) cluster configuratin storage "Thrown when the ip address of the host cannot be determined" - Retry 2)Configuration Assistants OUI -25031 Some of the configuration assis...

Oracle management server with only one database going to 9i
We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I have done some research into Oracle Management server. I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will only be monitoring one database, possible two. The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that fact that I can use RMAN for backup, but the real reason was using it for event monitoring. We do not have the man power to continuely look at the alert log, and we are always creating scripts to monitor table sizes, etc. I was wondering if this would be a good thing, and is it commonly used for one database. I am also looking at how much overhead it needs. Size RAM ect. Is there a good READ about this? Is there any best practices for moving to 9i? handl@mts.net (Laura) wrote in message news:<e0ddcf8.0407060608.634328b7@posting.google.com>... > We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. > > I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. > Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I > have done some research into Oracle Management server. > > I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will > only be monitoring one database, possible two. > The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that > fact that I ...

Standard Configuration of Windows 2000/2003 Server to act as Domino APP + Mail Server
Hello All Is there a guide to follow what steps are required in the configuration of a windows 2000/2003 server to act as a domino APP + Mail Server I.e lock down server, disk structure, services etc. Thank you :{) home@127.0.0.1 wrote: > Hello All > > Is there a guide to follow what steps are required in the configuration of > a windows 2000/2003 server to act as a domino APP + Mail Server > > I.e lock down server, disk structure, services etc. > > Thank you > > :{) > > You need almost no native processes running as D...

SqlSpec

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

Oracle databases on a server

installing Oracle 10g on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise problem. Help !
when i tried to install Oracle 10g (Standard) onto Win Server 2003 at the end of instlalation i got following errors: "DIM-00019: create service error. O/S-Error: (OS 1388) A new member could not be added to a local group because the member has the wrong account type." i click on ok and then i got: "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" i click on ignore and i got again: "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" i click on ignore and at the end i got: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the following error- 'job_queue_processes' must be greater than or equal to 1. Fix the error(s) and run EM Configuration Assistant againt in standalone mode. You can retry configuring this database with Enterprise manager later by manually running d:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\bin\emca script." I was logged as Administrator into Win Server 2003. What is the problem and how to solve it ? Thanks to all ! Nino -- 31.1.2005 20:04:52 Nino wrote: > when i tried to install Oracle 10g (Standard) onto Win Server 2003 at the > end of instlalation i got following errors: > > "DIM-00019: create service error. > O/S-Error: (OS 1388) A new member could not be added to a local group > because the member has the wrong account type." > > i click on ok and then i got: > > "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error" > > i click on ignore and i got again: > > "ORA-12...

Why Oracle 10g doesn't work with Windows Server 2003
Hello I've installed Oracle 10g successfully on Windows 2000 Server, and o Windows XP Pro... with no problems at all... But I couldn't start the database on Windows Server 2003, th OracleDBconsole and Oracle...TNSListner refused to start Hoping that you've already solved this problem.. Regard Did you follow the install instructions? Is another version of oracle already installed and running? Do you meet all the pre-requisites? Ghaith wrote: > Hello, > > I've installed Oracle 10g successfully on Windows 2000 Server, and on > Windows XP Pro... with no problems at all... > > But I couldn't start the database on Windows Server 2003, the > OracleDBconsole and Oracle...TNSListner refused to start. > > Hoping that you've already solved this problem... > > Regards What is in the log files? -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Comments embedded. Ghaith wrote: > Hello, > > I've installed Oracle 10g successfully on Windows 2000 Server, and on > Windows XP Pro... with no problems at all... > '10g' covers a lot of territory ... so which release, exactly, did you attempt to install on Windows 2003, on which processor, with what architecture? > But I couldn't start the database on Windows Server 2003, the > OracleDBconsole and Oracle...TNSListner refused to start. > You did, of course, receive an error message ... i...

Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 Advance Server vs Solaris 10 ?
Dear Users, Kindly help me with below query of mine. For a web application, which is a suggested combination (considering stability/performance/maintainen for web application) ---- Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 Server ---- Oracle 10g on Solaris 10 -- Currently we are using Oracle 9i on Solaris 8. It will be helpful if i can get views based on your experience with above oracle 10g and OS. There is one more thread on oracle on solaris vs windows but i coud'nt get specific solution from that hence posting again (sorry abt that) Thanks in Advance On Mar 27, 7:10=A0am, Hardesh <hard...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear Users, > > Kindly help me with below query of mine. > > For a web application, which is a suggested combination (considering > stability/performance/maintainen for web application) > > =A0 =A0 ---- Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 Server > =A0 =A0 ---- Oracle 10g on Solaris 10 > > -- Currently we are using Oracle 9i on Solaris 8. > > It will be helpful if i can get views based on your experience with > above oracle 10g and OS. > > There is one more thread on oracle on solaris vs windows but i coud'nt > get specific solution from that hence posting again (sorry abt that) > > Thanks in Advance Why would it make a difference to the web application? The app connects to the database via SQL*net, odbc or jdbc so it should be irrelevant on which O/S the database runs. My *preference* would be Solaris,...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

application server on windows server 2003
Hi I am developing a client server application a small component of which should open a terminal window with an application (say AutoCAD) running on it on the server. All clients should be able to view this application on their respective machines. Can anyone suggest if I can use any existing services for this ? For opening a terminal window in Server 2003 I found that I can use Remote Desktop Connection. However I think I need something like a VNC server but am not sure what or how to use. Can anyone suggest as to how I can proceed for this ? Any help/hints/suggestions would be appre...

mail server on windows server 2003
Hi Gurus I would like to run a mail server on 2003 that does the following: 1. collect emails from several other mail servers (e.g. mail.myisp.com) using the pop3 method. 2. allow people connected to the servers domain/network to - send emails from their outlook program - receive emails in their outlook program - send emails locally (without going through our ISP) to other people who are connected to the server (e.g. from Jo to Mike who are both connected to the server domain). My questions are: 1. can MS Windows Server do this, OR 2. would you recommend a program f...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't...

Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server
Hi, Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. Thank you RA On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > Thank you > RA Wow you must have missed all the good spots. Try Jeffery Hunters site over at http://www.idevelopment.info or Howard Rogers site at http://www.dizwell.com/prod Be prepared to take their recommendations and follow their documentation exactly. Jeffrey has a nice article on a complete 2 node install of RAC using vmware ... think he uses a clone of red hat in the article. On 30 mayo, 00:24, hpuxrac <johnbhur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > > Thank you > > RA > > Wow you must have missed all the good spots. > > Try Jeffery Hunters site over athttp://www.idevelopment.infoor > Howard Rogers site athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod > > Be prepare...

Web resources about - Database 9i with App Svr 10g on Windows Server 2003: good idea or no? - comp.databases.oracle.server