Database 9i with App Svr 10g on Windows Server 2003: good idea or no?

Any information please on using Oracle 9i (9.2.0.3.0) in conjunction with
Application Server 10g?

Both on Windows Server 2003 platform.

Experts, is this a workable (certified?) combination?

Any reason to consider earlier (some say buggier) version
of AS? Is there anything in AS 10g that will not be happy talking to
Database 9i (9.2.0.3.0) on Win2K3.

Appreciate any advice on this configuration, including "you must be
crazy!" Have just heard good things about AS 10g versus its previous
incarnations.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike <bishopsbitter@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Any information please on using Oracle 9i (9.2.0.3.0) in conjunction
> with Application Server 10g?
> Both on Windows Server 2003 platform.

- Use 9.2.0.4 instead of 9.2.0.3.
- Wait until OracleAS 10g (9.0.4) comes available for Windows.

Combination should be certified. If you want the infrastructure database
to be of version 9.2.0.4, you must create the repository with the
Repository Creation Assistant (RepCA).

> Any reason to consider earlier (some say buggier) version
> of AS? Is there anything in AS 10g that will not be happy talking to
> Database 9i (9.2.0.3.0) on Win2K3.

Avoid 9iAS 9.0.2.x if you can wait until you have 10g. The 10g (9.0.4)
version is much more stable and easier to configure/install/use.

Sander

0
sander8600 (14)
2/17/2004 8:13:11 PM
Mike <bishopsbitter@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1034fkqonpus1ef@corp.supernews.com>...
> Any information please on using Oracle 9i (9.2.0.3.0) in conjunction with
> Application Server 10g?
>
> Both on Windows Server 2003 platform.
>
> Experts, is this a workable (certified?) combination?
>
> Any reason to consider earlier (some say buggier) version
> of AS? Is there anything in AS 10g that will not be happy talking to
> Database 9i (9.2.0.3.0) on Win2K3.
>
> Appreciate any advice on this configuration, including "you must be
> crazy!" Have just heard good things about AS 10g versus its previous
> incarnations.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

That is one of those "amazing and stupendous" products that is
projected to be certified but not available for download.  As opposed
to the W2K version, which is certified but not available for download.

I take it to mean there is some problem, although whether the problem
is with the product is difficult to determine.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Hopefully this will all be wrong by the time usenet propagates it.
> That is one of those "amazing and stupendous" products that is
> projected to be certified but not available for download.  As opposed
> to the W2K version, which is certified but not available for download.
>
> I take it to mean there is some problem, although whether the problem
> is with the product is difficult to determine.

Not at all. After the build has completed on Unix, the NT porting group
starts porting it to NT. Instead of holding the Unix product until the NT
product is ready, it is made available. Indeed you will have to wait
longer for the NT product - if you don't want that, you could for example
use Linux.

The Win2k version that _is_ certified _and_ available is 9.0.2, maybe you
should search harder ;-)

http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/ias/devuse_9ias_r2.html

I would however wait for 9.0.4 if you can.

Sander
0
sander8600 (14)