Database copy -- recover database question

I am coping SAP/Oracle database R3Q to Q02,

For R3Q:
SQL> connect / as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> alter system switch logfile; (4 times, we have 2 groups , 2
memebers per group)
System altered.
SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
SQL> shutdown
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.

For Q02:

Copy all database & online redo logs to correcponding destination
directory.

CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "Q02" RESETLOGS  ARCHIVELOG
--  SET STANDBY TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE
    MAXLOGFILES 255
    MAXLOGMEMBERS 3
    MAXDATAFILES 254
    MAXINSTANCES 50
    MAXLOGHISTORY 3176
LOGFILE
  GROUP 1 (
    '/oracle/Q02/origlogA/log_g11m1.dbf',
    '/oracle/Q02/mirrlogA/log_g11m2.dbf'
  ) SIZE 50M,
  GROUP 2 (
    '/oracle/Q02/origlogB/log_g12m1.dbf',
    '/oracle/Q02/mirrlogB/log_g12m2.dbf'
  ) SIZE 50M,
  GROUP 3 (
    '/oracle/Q02/origlogA/log_g13m1.dbf',
    '/oracle/Q02/mirrlogA/log_g13m2.dbf'
  ) SIZE 50M,
  GROUP 4 (
    '/oracle/Q02/origlogB/log_g14m1.dbf',
    '/oracle/Q02/mirrlogB/log_g14m2.dbf'
  ) SIZE 50M
-- STANDBY LOGFILE
DATAFILE
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata1/system_1/system.data1',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_1/r3q.data1',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_2/r3q.data2',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_3/r3q.data3',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_4/r3q.data4',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_5/r3q.data5',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_6/r3q.data6',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_7/r3q.data7',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_8/r3q.data8',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_9/r3q.data9',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata1/r3q620_1/r3q620.data1',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata1/r3q620_2/r3q620.data2',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata1/r3q620_3/r3q620.data3',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata1/r3q620_4/r3q620.data4',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_5/r3q620.data5',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_6/r3q620.data6',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_7/r3q620.data7',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_8/r3q620.data8',
"q02.sql" 62 lines, 2213 characters
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_5/r3q620.data5',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_6/r3q620.data6',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_7/r3q620.data7',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_8/r3q620.data8',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q620_9/r3q620.data9',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q620_10/r3q620.data10',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q620_11/r3q620.data11',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata1/r3qusr_1/r3qusr.data1',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/roll_1/roll.data1',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_10/r3q.data10',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_11/r3q.data11',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata4/r3q_12/r3q.data12',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata3/r3q_13/r3q.data13',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q_14/r3q.data14',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q_15/r3q.data15',
  '/oracle/Q02/sapdata2/r3q_16/r3q.data16'
CHARACTER SET WE8DEC
;

SQL> recover database using backup controlfile
ORA-00279: change 573410321 generated at 07/27/2004 22:11:01 needed
for thread
1
ORA-00289: suggestion : /oracle/Q02/oraarch/Q02arch1_8320.dbf
ORA-00280: change 573410321 for thread 1 is in sequence #8320
Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}

*****************************************???
/oracle/Q02/origlogB/log_g14m1.dbf
*****************************************???

Log applied.
Media recovery complete.
SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
Database altered.

Question: why media recovery is needed? I've switched all redologs to
database and close database before database copy. All database files
should be in consistant status and should be "open resetlogs"
successfully without media recovery.

Thanks
JamesYang@163.net
0
jamesyang

James wrote:

> I am coping SAP/Oracle database R3Q to Q02,
>
> For R3Q:
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> Connected.
> SQL> alter system switch logfile; (4 times, we have 2 groups , 2
> memebers per group)

Sounds like a little bit of confusion, then. Because if you only have two
groups, three log switches is sufficient to cycle right through them all
and back round again. That the groups have multiple members is irrelevant
to that.

> System altered.
> SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace;

Right... you take a backup of the control file (though only to trace, which
has issues of its own. Bear with me).

> SQL> shutdown

> Database closed.
> Database dismounted.
> ORACLE instance shut down.
[snip a perfectly standard trace file, which you could have usefully done
too!]

> SQL> recover database using backup controlfile

Wrong command. I don't know why people insist on doing this, but they
invariably do. There was a rash of posts doing it unnecessarily a few
months back. The phrase 'using backup controlfile' has a very specific
meaning: "I am using a control file which was backed up some time ago".
You, like most other people I see using that command, are doing no such
thing. You are using a control file which has just been re-created from
scratch by virtue of the trace script technique.

That script contains a long list of the location of every single data file
for a very good reason: it's an instruction to the system to visit every
one of those files and ask what its SCN is. The brand new control file is
then created with the highest SCN found force-written into its own header
block. Accordingly, you don't have a backup control file at all. You have a
brand, spanking new, gleamingly refreshed indeed, control file. And the
command should therefore have been 'recover database'.

> ORA-00279: change 573410321 generated at 07/27/2004 22:11:01 needed
> for thread
> 1
> ORA-00289: suggestion : /oracle/Q02/oraarch/Q02arch1_8320.dbf
> ORA-00280: change 573410321 for thread 1 is in sequence #8320
> Specify log: {<RET>=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}
>
> *****************************************???
> /oracle/Q02/origlogB/log_g14m1.dbf
> *****************************************???
>
> Log applied.
> Media recovery complete.
> SQL> alter database open resetlogs;
> Database altered.
>

> Question: why media recovery is needed?

> I've switched all redologs to
> database and close database before database copy.
> All database files
> should be in consistant status

But when you tell Oracle your control file is out of date when it isn't, you
are setting yourself up for quite a lot of unnecessary hassle, aren't you.

Did you try a simple 'recover database'? What happened if so?

Regards
HJR

> and should be "open resetlogs"
> successfully without media recovery.
>
> Thanks
> JamesYang@163.net

0
hjr (2065)
8/29/2004 10:01:27 AM
Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> James wrote:
>

>>I am coping SAP/Oracle database R3Q to Q02,
>>
>>For R3Q:
>>SQL> connect / as sysdba
>>Connected.
>>SQL> alter system switch logfile; (4 times, we have 2 groups , 2
>>memebers per group)
> SQL> shutdown
> Database closed.
> Database dismounted.
> ORACLE instance shut down.
[...]
>>SQL> recover database using backup controlfile
>

> Wrong command. I don't know why people insist on doing this, but they
> invariably do. There was a rash of posts doing it unnecessarily a few
> months back. The phrase 'using backup controlfile' has a very specific
> meaning: "I am using a control file which was backed up some time ago".
> You, like most other people I see using that command, are doing no such
> thing. You are using a control file which has just been re-created from
> scratch by virtue of the trace script technique.

[...]
>>Question: why media recovery is needed?
>

>>I've switched all redologs to
>>database and close database before database copy.
>>All database files
>>should be in consistant status
>

> But when you tell Oracle your control file is out of date when it isn't, you
> are setting yourself up for quite a lot of unnecessary hassle, aren't you.
>
> Did you try a simple 'recover database'? What happened if so?
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

>>and should be "open resetlogs"
>>successfully without media recovery.
>>
>>Thanks
>>JamesYang@163.net

What Howard said was correct.  But I would take it one step further.
You don't need to recover your database in this scenario, and you don't
need to switch any redologs, and you don't need to create a backup
controlfile -- since you have the luxury of performing a cold (closed
database) backup.

If you copy every file of a closed database (datafile, tempfile,
controlfile, online redo log file) to another server in the same
directory locations, how is the software to know?  Every byte is in the
right place, so it will start up OK, just as if it were the original.

Now, the Oracle documentation will tell you that you should never make
backup copies of your online redo log files, for some very good reasons.
However if you understand those reasons and are willing to take
responsibility for your actions, you can indeed backup your (closed
database) on-line redo log files to another server and successfully
startup your database with no explicit recovery required.

Think "image backup at the OS level".  Again, this only works with a
closed database file-level copy.

In the case where your copy cannot use the exact same directory
structure as your source, you can use the following (s)pfile parameters
to adjust for that:

db_file_name_convert
log_file_name_convert

--Mark Bole

0
makbo (354)
9/2/2004 1:36:45 AM
"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr@dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<4131a992$0$11963$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
> James wrote:
>
> > System altered.
> > SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace;
>
> Right... you take a backup of the control file (though only to trace, which
> has issues of its own. Bear with me).
>
> > SQL> shutdown
>
> > Database closed.
> > Database dismounted.
> > ORACLE instance shut down.
> [snip a perfectly standard trace file, which you could have usefully done
> too!]
>
> > SQL> recover database using backup controlfile
>
> Wrong command. I don't know why people insist on doing this, but they
> invariably do. There was a rash of posts doing it unnecessarily a few
> months back. The phrase 'using backup controlfile' has a very specific
> meaning: "I am using a control file which was backed up some time ago".

Because "backup controlfile to trace" and "using backup controlfile"
appear commutative.  It's just unfortunate historical syntax.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.  Regarding not having a potato peeler, the Oracle
way would be to say "Larry has determined that customers prefer
Joel Garry wrote:

> Because "backup controlfile to trace" and "using backup controlfile"
> appear commutative.  It's just unfortunate historical syntax.

Agreed. It might be an idea if there was an 'alter system generate
controlfile script' command. Or something.

failing that, just some commonsense would do.

Regards
HJR
0
hjr (2065)

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com... I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote: Have you tried the Shell command? If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an >already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but >does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening ...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

copying data from one database to another database
I want to copy data from our production database to the development database. I want to move only the data. I do not need the table structure, constrains or anything else. I think I can use the db2move command to export out all the data like the following: db2move dbname export -tc schema1 When I load the data into our development database, will it recreate the tables? My problem is that I do not want to recreate the structure. I want to make sure that I am copying over only the data. Is db2move the best utility to move the data between two databases without making any stru...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Question about move large amount of data from database to database
guys, I have a project need to move more than 100,000 records from one database table to another database table every week. Currently, users input date range from web UI, my store procedure will take those date ranges to INSERT records to a table in another database, then delete the records, but it will take really long time to finish this action (up to 1 or 2 hours). My question is if there is some other way I should do to speed up the action, I am thinking about use bcp to copy those records to datafile and then use bcp to insert it into SQL Server table. Is this the right way to do it or ...

Copy Prdoduction database to Test database on different machine
Hi all, I want to make a copy of the production database to a different machine and then reload the database for testing purpose. This must be done during the night when nobody is on the production system. On both machines: OS: Linux RH 8.0 Oracle: 9.2.0.1 Same directory structure. Which steps do I have to take or which scripts do I have to run? With kind regards, Herman Pool > Which steps do I have to take or which scripts do I have to run? imp/exp with FULL=Y option or if your tablespaces already exist exp each of your users and import them from system with fromuser and touser these are easily scripted thanks Herman Pool wrote: > Hi all, > > I want to make a copy of the production database to a different > machine and then reload the database for testing purpose. > This must be done during the night when nobody is on the production > system. > > On both machines: > OS: Linux RH 8.0 > Oracle: 9.2.0.1 > Same directory structure. > > Which steps do I have to take or which scripts do I have to run? > > With kind regards, > > Herman Pool I had a similar requirement recently, although you seem to want to do it nightly? It might be worth to check the RMAN documentation on duplicate. When properly set up the only script you need might be rman> connect target / rman> connect auxilliary database <privileged user>/<password>@duplicatedb rman> duplicate target database to duplicatedb; Howeve...

Database question, Vb6 SP5, DAO, Access database
I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not received any answers. Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here (with changes) in hopes of getting an answer. Jim Y Using a database is still new for me. I do not know all the terms, so I hope I can explain my question. I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO. It works with no known problems (yet), I had to add/modify the database and program to include an additional variable. This program has been installed on a friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version. My que...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle #3
Hi Mark. >>Then creating current directry <your database.dbs> > >I think you mean it creates a directory called <your database>.exp. Yes, thanks. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 _________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail sending to informix-list ...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle #2

Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??
Hello, I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle database to IBM DB2 database? Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your Oracle version back-leveled? Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone used to convert to DB2. Thank you. Charles On 6 Feb, 01:52, "Charles Davis" <cdavis10...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 database? > > Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? > > Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your > Oracle version back-leveled? > > Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone > used to convert to DB2. > > Thank you. > > Charles I'm no DB2 basher, however, from you post you seem to be insinuating that disk space is the driving force for this conversion. Is this the case? HTH -g Charles Davis wrote: > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 database? Check your in-box at the email address you use here. I have passed you a contact that I consider as close to non-partisan as I could think of (and more importantly, I don't know what she'll say over a beer). Cheers Serge -- Serge Rielau DB2 Solutio...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

database control for several database
How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? On Oct 25, 11:09 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? > > yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? Are you talking about this: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b40002/structure.htm#sthref90 jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Single women come home, look in the refrigerator, then go to bed. Married women come home, look in the bedroom, then go to the refrigerator." - heard on radio. ...

How can I backup database from database itself
Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the database? I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself, and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'. Tnx in advance Dragan ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200, Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote: > Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the > database...

Extracting a Database to a seperate Database
Is it possible to extract part of a database and create it in a seperate database? I have a large database and would like to take about 10 screens out and put them into a seperate file? Is there a quick and easy way of doing this or must I delete and re-create the new database? Falcon in article Pnh1c.8696$Db4.1479@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk, Falcon at ernie-no-spam-faulkner@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 3/3/04 4:18 AM: > Is it possible to extract part of a database and create it in a seperate > database? > > I have a large database and would like to take about 10 screens out...

Web resources about - Database copy -- recover database question - comp.databases.oracle.server