Database link to a MS SQL Server 2000

Hi NG,

we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server.

There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines
directly.

Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise?

thanx
abbas

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 00:13:02 +0200, "Abbas" <ar.newsgroup@web.de>
wrote:

>Hi NG,
>
>we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server.
>
>There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines
>directly.
>
>Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise?
>
>thanx
>abbas

Look into using Heterogeneous Services in your Net administrators
manual.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0

Do as Sybrand told you, look at the Heterogenous services of Oracle.
Oracle even supports natively DRDA towards a DB2 z/OS mainframe,
and they also support SQL Server. They all end-up like a database link
with a totally quallified names in the "from" clause.

Be aware of that distributed joins between different DBMS systems
might cause huge performance problems, keep the functionality
when dealing with multiple DBMS systems simple, no distributed queries
pulling data from several distinct DBMS systems.

//Bjarke
0
bjarke (14)
6/11/2005 4:43:57 AM
Thank you very much for all the hints.

I need the link between the Oracle and SQL only to syncronize a few tables once a day. So I think there will not come up a
performance problem.

thanx again...

Regards,
Abbas

"Abbas" <ar.newsgroup@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d87qht$eae$02$3@news.t-online.com...
> Hi NG,
>
> we have to replikate some data between an oracle DB and an application with MS SQL Server.
>
> There is no possibility to load and push the data on the client mashine. We have to replicate the data on the server mashines
> directly.
>
> Is there a possibility to create a DB link from oracle to MS SQL Server or otherwise?
>
> thanx
> abbas

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services,
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit ...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services,
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

[...]

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

trouble getting a connection from MS SQL Server 2000 database server from WSAD
Hi , I have java servlet that creates a connection from connection pool . and I am getting the following errror.I am working on WSAD 4.x. I am using Microsoft SQL Server 2000 JDBC Driver Implementation class: com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver.SQLServerDataSource and provided all the required jar files located at. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC\lib.also i have given the resoure properties. WebSphere DataSource:CMProperties for DataSource "MSSQLServerConDev" DataSource Properties [com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver.SQLServerDataSou...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > &...

Restore SQL Server 6.5 database in SQL Server 2000
Hi, Do you know if it is possible to restore database (backup) from SQL Server 6.5 in SQL Server 2000? Best Regards, Wojtek -- (Remove bez.syfu get my e-mail address) ...

Oracle-to-SQL Server database link
Is anyone working with databases on both Oracle and SQL Server and using an Oracle database link to successfully query a SQL Server database? The Oracle database is running under AIX. It looks like the Oracle is working fine - database link is established - but the response to querying the SQL Server database is ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed This appears to me to be possibly a situation where the SQL Server is not 'trusting' the Oracle machine to query its database. I have checked to make sure that the port numbers on both sides are the same (when differnet, the er...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

Linked Server from SQL-Server 2000 to Oracle 8.1.7
We have a linked server, which worked fine, but we have just changed the collation sequence, in SQL-Server, from SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to Latin1_General_CI_AS. Now trying to use the Linked server, we get the following message: "Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error. OLE DB error trace [OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005: The provider did not give any information about the error]." Ha anyone seen this before, because I am not sure why changing the ...

Restore of Case Insensitive Database to a Case Sensitive Database
Yesterday I received a response to my CI/CS Collation problem and the recommendation was to try and restore a CI Collation database to a CS Collation database. After creating a blank CS database a full restore (Force restore over existing database) does change the Collation to CI. I'm unsure as to how I can restore without changing the Collation. Any suggestions? Hi. Check out this article: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/vg_database_comparison_sp.asp If appears that if you can put the CI db on another box and create a linked server to it you should be able to bring over every...

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying tha...

Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Folks, I was asked the following question today and decided to turn to your collective wisdom: Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE database on a different host? What tools would one need in order to accomplish the above? Regards Paul Christidis * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * Hi Paul, take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. http://...

Exporting MS SQL Server or Oracle Databases to MySQL
I also posted similarly in mailing.database.mysql I have created a rather large (60 table database) website dealio in PHP that works with MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and presumably any other data base I add to the wrapper functions that I created. All the development was done in Oracle, but now its time to create that large datastructure again in MySQL -- now I've built this all in notepad for Oracle (twice) and built it in SQL Server using the SQL Server import tools (pretty nice) -- is there anything that I can do that to get this datastructure and maybe even the data into MySQL using...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do k...

migrate Progress database to MS SQL Server 2000
We have a customer who wishes to migrate from Progress to MS SQL Serve 2000 and build a new application on the latter Can someone tell us how we can implement the migration? Please not that we are not familiar with Progress developmen Thanks in advanc -- panagiotis@mel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- panagiotis@melo's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=817 View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7937 In article <panagiotismelo.1gulha@progresstalk.com>, panagiotis@melo <panagiotismelo.1gulha@progresstalk.com> wrote: > We have a customer who wishes to migrate from Progress to MS SQL Server > 2000 and build a new application on the latter. > Can someone tell us how we can implement the migration? Please note > that we are not familiar with Progress development > Thanks in advance You realize you are asking a bunch of Progress people to aid you with loosing a potential customer for our skills? Why do they want to migrate to MS SQL Server for anyhow? ...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. Regards Kevin "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, w...

SqlSpec
Do you wish you had comprehensive, easily navigable documentation for your SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, and Access databases? Are you a SQL Developer or DBA that just inherited a huge, complex database with no supporting docs and don't know where to start learning how it's put together? Are you an independent contractor working with SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, or Access? Your clients would LOVE you if you could provide comprehensive documentation about the databases you build. Are you a Project Manager who is tired of developers making chan...

Upsized ACCESS Database to SQL Server 2000 with AS/400 Link
I have upsized an Access database into SQL Server and manged to get the data in place ok. The wizard created an Access Project which I have started to modify. However, I am also trying to get data from an AS/400. Specifically for a currency/exchange rate file. I only want ot copy the records since the last copy otherwise there are a vast number of records. I have created a linked server to the AS/400 within SQL Server, and created a view, within my specific database which allows me to look at all the data in the table. However, my problem is that I want a VB routine, in the Access Project, ...

> -----Original Message----- > From: Paul H. Christidis [mailto:phchristidis@raytheon.com] > Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 5:39 PM > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K > > > Folks, > > I was asked the following question today and decided to turn > to your collective wisdom: > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to > connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his > input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE > database on a differ...

migrate Progress database to MS SQL Server 2000 #2
I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about movin to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do about it Is there a migration tool -- panagiotis@mel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- panagiotis@melo's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=817 View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7937 Yes ther is. You'll find it between your ears. Regards...Dan. "panagiotis@melo" <panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com> wrote in message news:panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com... > > I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about moving > to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do about it. > > Is there a migration tool? > > > -- > panagiotis@melo > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > panagiotis@melo's Profile: > http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8173 > View this thread: > http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=79374 > crossmerge.com ? Regards...Dan. "panagiotis@melo" <panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com> wrote in message news:panagiotismelo.1gvuzm@progresstalk.com... > > I am afraid that our customer has already made up his mind about moving > to MS SQL server and there is nothing that we can do...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention t...

Web resources about - Database link to a MS SQL Server 2000 - comp.databases.oracle.server

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

IObit Driver Booster debuts new fix-it tool, widens driver update database
... The update also includes various optimizations to improve user experience, performance and stability, plus widens the tool’s driver database ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...