Erwin, fact tables and bitmap indexes on foreign keys

In general it is considered good practice to create bitmap indexes on
the foreign keys of fact tables in a dimensional schema (as stated in
many books and in the Oracle Datawarehousing Guide).
My question is this: I'm using Erwin as a modeling tool and I couldn't
find a way to tell it to use bitmap for the FK indexes. I have to
delete the indexes created by default (which are B-Tree) and replace
them manually with bitmap indexes.

Did anybody experience the same problem? Any solutions?

Foreign keys referring table in other database
Hi ! IDS 11.50.FC6 I need to set up constraints between tables in different databases. According to the documentation the tables used in a foreign key definition must be in the same database. I have also tried to use synonyms and views thar refers the table in the other databas but no success. One idea is to use ER to replicate the tables in question, another would be to write triggers that does a check against synonyms. Any other ideas anybody ? TIA Ulf --_29528b80-cd1d-4bdd-9635-bd292cc1552a_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Tr...

Is Primary Key always the index of the table in Oracle?
Can someone explain to me if the Primary Key always the same as Index of the table in Oracle? If not, how are they related? Thank you in advance! On Mar 6, 10:22 am, "Kaka" <kaka....@gmail.com> wrote: > Can someone explain to me if the Primary Key always the same as Index > of the table in Oracle? If not, how are they related? Thank you in > advance! I don't think that primary Key is same as index only. Infact primary key apply a index on column as well as it applies not null and unique constraint and can be use to bind table with another table using foreign key in it. Kaka wrote: > Can someone explain to me if the Primary Key always the same as Index > of the table in Oracle? If not, how are they related? Thank you in > advance! > Index is a structure Oracle uses in accessing the table, when it feels it is faster to do so. Indexes have one or several attributes of the table and a reference to the rows in the table that have those values. The index can be built so that there can be only one row associated to the attribute(s). If this is the case, one cannot add another row with same values without violating the constraint. Since primary key is a constraint that an attribute or attributes of the table can have only one row per one value of the attribute (or set of attributes if there are more than one), almost all RDBMSs make an index for the primary key. But, you can add more indexes to the table, and remove them if you l...

Foreign key references a table in an other schema of the database
Hello, First, I wish you a happy new year ! I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN. I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put every privileges possible but nothing to do. Any idea ? Laurent Laurent RUHLMANN wrote: > > Hello, > > First, I wish you a happy new year ! > > I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner > of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN. > I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN > but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put > every privileges possible but nothing to do. > > Any idea ? > > Laurent Are you using Object or System priviledges? The problem you have seems to relate to object privs. (See Chapter 25 of the 9iR2 DBA manual - topic is too large to discuss here.) "Laurent RUHLMANN" <lruhlmann@ingesoft.fr> a �crit dans le message de news:btjb10$ne6$1@s1.read.news.oleane.net... > Hello, > > First, I wish you a happy new year ! > > > I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner > of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN. > I'm trying to create a for...

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time". This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database... Thanks! "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cefcd14e-1ffa-4c85-9fa3-6dab448fc3c4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be > able to use the followi...

query sql server/oracle table from Db2 or join db2 table with sqlserver table
My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to db2 on the mainframe. TIA Roger ...

Getting a full table scan when using an indexed foreign key field in the where clause
I am seeing an indexing issue in our MySql databases with simple queries that reference an indexed foreign key field in the where clause. Depending on the number of foreign key IDs included in the where clause, the query will sometimes result in a full table scan (as reported by EXPLAIN). Here's an example of a query that has this issue. Note that we're seeing this issue across multiple tables, and multiple databases for different apps: SELECT * from contacts WHERE organization_id IN (2,3,4,5,6,7) In this example, the organization_id field is a foreign key to the orga...

query sql server/oracle table from Db2 or join db2 table with sqlserver table #2
My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to db2 on the mainframe. TIA Roger Roger wrote: > My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I > need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I > also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. > How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? > I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to > db2 on the mainframe. You need to look at Websphere Information Integrator along with the relational wrappers for MS SQL server and Oracle. Ian, its a canned CRM application that currently connects to DB2. I cannot run the app on Websphere. A few years could use relational connect and create federated nickname on db2. Can I still do that ? TIA On Apr 27, 6:01 pm, Ian <ianb...@mobileaudio.com> wrote: > Roger wrote: > > My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I > > need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I > > also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. > > How can I accomplish this ? Do i n...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Unknown primary keys and foreign keys ina database
I would like to connect to a database and determine, on the fly, what columns are the foreign and primary keys for each table.&nbsp; Is there any way to do this using the LabView Database connectivity toolkit or a SQL query? Thank you! Brad Found it, thanks!&nbsp; For future reference (for anyone who might search for this topic) Go to: Tools -&gt; Options -&gt; View and check "system" and "hidden" objects to explore the structure of these tables.&nbsp; It's not recommended to edit them directly for obvious reasons, but will at least give an idea...

How to change columns on which there are primary keys, foreign keys and indexes?
Hi I've got databases (both SQL Server 2000 and 2005) wherein an ID column is used in many tables. I now need to extend this field from nvarchar(20) to nvarchar(32). It's nvarchar since it contains both numbers and letters. How do I go about this? Do I drop PKs, FKs and indexes, alter the columns to nvarchar(32) and re-create PKs, FKs and indexes? I've read about disabling constraints. It isn't possible to disable PKs? But is it okay to disable FKs and alter column which is part of the FK? Dropping / disabling PKs, FKs and indexes will not impact the content of the tables?...

Drop all indexes in a table, how to drop all for user tables in database
Hi, I found this SQL in the news group to drop indexs in a table. I need a script that will drop all indexes in all user tables of a given database: DECLARE @indexName NVARCHAR(128) DECLARE @dropIndexSql NVARCHAR(4000) DECLARE tableIndexes CURSOR FOR SELECT name FROM sysindexes WHERE id = OBJECT_ID(N'F_BI_Registration_Tracking_Summary') AND indid > 0 AND indid < 255 AND INDEXPROPERTY(id, name, 'IsStatistics') = 0 OPEN tableIndexes FETCH NEXT FROM tableIndexes INTO @indexName WHILE @@fetch_status = 0 BEGIN SET @dropIndexSql = N' DROP INDEX F_BI_Reg...

Re: Primary key, Foreign key and indexes in Informix #3
----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Hamm" <ahamm@mail.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 3:42 AM Subject: Re: Primary key, Foreign key and indexes in Informix [On indices on potential FK columns with poor data distribution] > If you do > adequate testing in development then any software faults should be caught > before it ever gets to production. Heh, the famous last words :-) I am still in favour of some kind of db-level consistency checking - be it using referential constraint, check constraint, trigger.... No such thing as perfectly tested application. BTW, good old Informix 5 was terrible with this kind of indices - not only when inserting or updating; since meaningful distribution statistics were missing, the optimizer very often got it completely wrong. Bonzi sending to informix-list Dragi Raos wrote: > >> If you do >> adequate testing in development then any software faults should be >> caught before it ever gets to production. > > Heh, the famous last words :-) yup - very famous. An alternative which would be just as rigorous would be to use a trigger on the production database. Set the trigger to fire on insert or update of the field, and it can do a lookup into the little reference table. That way you get the strong validation without having to suffer the cost of the FK index. > I am still in favour of some kind ...

Finding index keys in a v large table that are not in a large table.
Ok, I have two tables called audit and audit_summary. Both are indexed on audit_seq (audit is non unique and audit_summary is unique):- Audit defn:- audit_seq, message_number, message_text Audit_summary defn:- audit_seq, <various other fields parsed out of the message text> In an online transaction processing system, many records can be written into the audit table all with the same audit_seq per transaction. Every so often, a job starts up that gets all the new audit_seqs that are not in the audit_summary table and inserts the new records into it. These tables are getting pretty big eg Audit is >15Million rows and Audit_summary is around a few million. Anyone have any thoughts on the most efficient way to extract the new audit_seqs in the audit table? select audit_seq,message_text from audit where audit_seq > (select max(audit_seq) from audit_summary) is no good as there is potential for audit_seqs to get skipped. I created two test tables called big (~ 1 Million rows) and small (~100K rows) both with columns audit_seq,object_id. I then ran the following:- 1 select big.audit_seq, object_id 2 from big, (select audit_seq 3 from big 4 minus 5 select audit_seq 6 from small) seqs 7* where big.audit_seq = seqs.audit_seq SQL> / 804033 rows selected. Execution Plan ---------------------------------------------------------- ...

Linking SQL Server tables to Oracle Tables DSN-Less
Hi, i have an oracle database and an SQL Database i query both and at the mo i have to query one then put records in an array then query the other than update the array. Is there a method in VB6 that i can simply link the two (dsn-less connection)?? If anyone as a solution you would save me hours !! Cheers Gaz gonkowonko@gmail.com wrote: > i have an oracle database and an SQL Database i query both and at the > mo i have to query one then put records in an array then query the > other than update the array. > > Is there a method in VB6 that i can simply link the two (dsn-less > connection)?? BDE (Borland Database Engine) is similar to ODBC and it allows heterogenous database joins - e.g. you can select a table from one BDE data source and joined it (using SQL) with another BDE data source. Have done this a few times in Delphi (but never put that code into production). The vast majority of times this type of thing is not a bright idea. It can (and usually do) cause havoc with performance. > If anyone as a solution you would save me hours !! I would rather solve this at server side then in VB at the client side. Oracle provides a transparent interface into other databases, including SQL-Server. From the client side the SQL-Server table will look like a normal Oracle table. -- Billy Hey Gaz, You can use Oracle Heterogeneous Services to allow ODBC based Database Links to be created in the Oracle Server, after which you can query the SQL Server t...

Database Design Problem with Hibernate Primary Key and Foreign Key
hi, I am a newbie to Hibernate. It seems to me that Hibernate does not allow you to declare both id and composite-id in .hbm.xml mapping. That was why i have a triple primary key in my ENROLLED table as following: CREATE TABLE ENROLLED ( SID INTEGER NOT NULL, CID INTEGER NOT NULL, ENROLL_SINCE DATETIME NOT NULL, EID INTEGER NOT NULL auto_increment, COURSE_ROLE_ID INTEGER DEFAULT 0, LAST_LESSON_ID INTEGER, COMPLETE_BY_DATE DATETIME, GRADE VARCHAR(10), STATUS_ID MEDIUMINT(9), IS_AVAILABLE CHAR(1) DEFAULT 'Y', CREATION_DATE DATETIME NOT NULL, LAST_UPDATED DATETIME NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (SID, CID, ENROLL_SINCE), UNIQUE KEY (EID), FOREIGN KEY(SID) REFERENCES USERS ..... and my QUIZ_GRADES table need to reference the ENROLLED table. That was why I had EID as unique key. CREATE TABLE QUIZ_GRADES (QUIZ_ID INTEGER NOT NULL, EID INTEGER NOT NULL, PASS CHAR(1), CREATION_DATE DATETIME NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(QUIZ_ID, EID), FOREIGN KEY (QUIZ_ID) REFERENCES QUIZES ON DELETE CASCADE, FOREIGN KEY (EID) REFERENCES ENROLLED(EID) ON DELETE CASCADE)TYPE=INNODB; However, Hibernate complained as following: "******Foreign key (QUIZ_GRADES [EID])) must have same number of columns as the r eferenced primary key (ENROLLED [SID,CID,ENROLL_SINCE]) net.sf.hibernate.MappingException: Foreign key (QUIZ_GRADES [EID])) must have sa me number of...

Index and foreign key
Hello, Excuse me for my poor english. I would kike know if create index on the foreign key it's necessary or if Oracle, are optimized for using foreign key whithout index. Best regards Olivier depends on the version, depends on if you're concerned with performance or concurrency indexes on FKs can help join performance until some release of 9i (don't remember which -- it might even be 10g, but i know it's been discussed in these forums before) indexes on FKs were necessary to minimize locks when a PK value was updated (but not necessarily when other columns in the PK records where updated) -- mcs "Olivier Cr�vecoeur" <Olivier.Crevecoeur@ulg.ac.be> wrote in message news:brsfea$1eom@aix4.segi.ulg.ac.be... | Hello, | | Excuse me for my poor english. | I would kike know if create index on the foreign key it's necessary or if | Oracle, are optimized for using foreign key whithout index. | | Best regards | | Olivier | | Hello Olivier, Unindexed foreign keys can cause a dead-lock during concurrent primary keys updates/deletes under any current Oracle version including 9i. I'd be very much impressed if this problem were fixed in 10g... So if you anticipate updates/deletes to the primary key, the foreign keys have to be indexed. Also, an unindexed foreign key is a performance issue if: -- you have an 'on delete cascade'; -- you query from the parent table to the chil...

Indexes and Foreign Keys
I've read conflicting thoughts about indexes and foreign keys. One train of thought has it that you always create indexes for all foreign keys. The other train of thought said that not all foreign keys really need an associated index. Are there general rules of thumbs to use concerning this? "Dereck L. Dietz" <dietzdl@ameritech.net> wrote in news:akHQf.31462$2O6.26201@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com: > I've read conflicting thoughts about indexes and foreign keys. > > One train of thought has it that you always create indexes for all > foreign keys. The other train of thought said that not all foreign > keys really need an associated index. > > Are there general rules of thumbs to use concerning this? > > > You should always create indexes for all foreign keys; otherwise the whole child must be locked when updating the parent table. That's what I currently do. After reading the conflicting ideas I just was wondering if I was doing anything wrong by creating indexes for my foreign keys. "ianal Vista" <ianal_vista@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns97838BAF5D450ianalvistahotmailcom@70.169.32.36... > "Dereck L. Dietz" <dietzdl@ameritech.net> wrote in > news:akHQf.31462$2O6.26201@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com: > > > I've read conflicting thoughts about indexes and foreign keys. > > > > One train of thought has it that you always create indexes for ...

all foreign key should have index?
Is it necessary that all foreign key should have index? SELECT * FROM user_constraints WHERE CONSTRAINT_TYPE = 'R' AND INDEX_NAME IS NOT NULL Above query does not return any row in my database.Is it bad? Only indexes used to support PK and UK constraints can be determined by querying dba_constraints directly. The indexes that exist to support FK constraints, if they exist, are not available without doing a little more work. Unfortunately, the Reference manual (9.2)does not list the fact the index_name is only populated for PK and UK constraints. Queries to find these indexes have been posted in the past. Try searching the archives. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell wrote: > Only indexes used to support PK and UK constraints can be determined by > querying dba_constraints directly. The indexes that exist to support > FK constraints, if they exist, are not available without doing a little > more work. Unfortunately, the Reference manual (9.2)does not list the > fact the index_name is only populated for PK and UK constraints. > > Queries to find these indexes have been posted in the past. Try > searching the archives. > > HTH -- Mark D Powell -- > Mark, with all due respect, you do not address the "should there be" or "is this bad" issue. The the OP: as always: it depends. Has been addresses before. No, there is no law that there should be indexes on FK columns. But, consider locking mechanisms...

all foreign key should have index?
Is it necessary that all foreign key should have index? SELECT * FROM user_constraints WHERE CONSTRAINT_TYPE = 'R' AND INDEX_NAME IS NOT NULL Above query does not return any row in my database.Is it bad? > Is it necessary that all foreign key should have index? It is not necessary from a theoretical standpoint. It is necessary, from a practical standpoint, if the table pointed to is fairly large, and you want to be able to validate the foreign key references in a reasonable period of time. > SELECT * FROM user_constraints WHERE CONSTRAINT_TYPE = 'R'...

Oracle databases on a server

Web resources about - Erwin, fact tables and bitmap indexes on foreign keys - comp.databases.oracle.server

Chemical plant cost indexes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chemical plant cost indexes are dimensionless numbers employed to updating capital cost required to erect a chemical plant from a past date to ...

Google Now Indexes 620 Million Facebook Groups
... 1.96 billion pages across all of Facebook. The total number of groups on Facebook is now approximately the same number of pages Google indexes ...

Mortgage slide drives down living cost indexes
Mortgage slide drives down living cost indexes

Living in fantasy land care of property and share indexes
The property industry is doing exactly the same thing as the share market.

Apple's surging valuation distorting stock market indexes
The rapid escalation of Apple's profits and corporate valuation are overshadowing the performance of other companies so much that analysts are ...

Google Video now indexes MySpace, Yahoo Video, and others
In an effort to restore relevance, the largely redundant Google Video service …

Wall Street ends down but indexes notch sharp weekly gains
... U.S. stocks closed slightly lower on Friday, retreating from the previous session’s record highs on a drop in financial shares, but major indexes ...

Evening Wrap: Apple Stock Beats Indexes For Week; Netflix Gets A Boost; Oracle Reflections
The new iPhone 5 really was old news by Friday. The shares closed new-gadget-launch week at $700.70, up $2.00 Friday, or a miniscule 0.29%. For ...

Torrent.fm torrent site indexes over 30 million files - BGR
A new torrent -indexing site comes from Spain using search technology financed by the government and developed by a P2P veteran who managed to ...