Foreign key references a table in an other schema of the database

Hello,

First, I wish you a happy new year !

I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner
of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN.
I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN
but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put
every privileges possible but nothing to do.

Any idea ?

Laurent

0
lruhlmann (10)

Laurent RUHLMANN wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First, I wish you a happy new year !
>
> I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner
> of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN.
> I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN
> but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put
> every privileges possible but nothing to do.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Laurent

Are you using Object or System priviledges?

The problem you have seems to relate to object privs.  (See Chapter 25
of the 9iR2 DBA manual - topic is too large to discuss here.)
0
forbrich (429)
1/8/2004 11:01:49 AM
"Laurent RUHLMANN" <lruhlmann@ingesoft.fr> a �crit dans le message de
> Hello,
>
> First, I wish you a happy new year !
>

> I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner
> of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN.
> I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN
> but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put
> every privileges possible but nothing to do.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Laurent

EXTERN have to grant REFERENCES privilege on the referenced table to PATTERN.

Regards
Michel Cadot

0
Michel
1/8/2004 11:49:43 AM
"Laurent RUHLMANN" <lruhlmann@ingesoft.fr> wrote in message news:btjb10$ne6$1@s1.read.news.oleane.net...

> First, I wish you a happy new year !

2u2.

> I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN
> but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put
> every privileges possible but nothing to do.
>
> Any idea ?

CONNECT EXTERN/<password>
GRANT REFERENCES ON <table> TO PARTERN;

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto

0
wizofoz2k1 (351)
1/8/2004 12:58:14 PM
Thank you

"Noons" <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au.nospam> a �crit dans le message news:
3ffd53aa$0$18747$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> "Laurent RUHLMANN" <lruhlmann@ingesoft.fr> wrote in message
>
> > First, I wish you a happy new year !
>
> 2u2.
>

> > I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of
EXTERN
> > but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to
put
> > every privileges possible but nothing to do.
> >
> > Any idea ?
> >

> CONNECT EXTERN/<password>
> GRANT REFERENCES ON <table> TO PARTERN;
>
> --
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au.nospam

0
lruhlmann (10)
1/8/2004 1:16:28 PM
"Noons" <wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message
| "Laurent RUHLMANN" <lruhlmann@ingesoft.fr> wrote in message
|
| > First, I wish you a happy new year !
|
| 2u2.
|

| > I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of
EXTERN
| > but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to
put
| > every privileges possible but nothing to do.
| >
| > Any idea ?
| >

| CONNECT EXTERN/<password>
| GRANT REFERENCES ON <table> TO PARTERN;
|
| --
| Cheers
| Nuno Souto
| wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au.nospam

+ 2 cents:

this privilege must be granted directly to the schema that will create the
FK reference (as shown) -- it cannot be granted to a ROLE (ORA-01919),
except for the PUBLIC role

-- mcs

0
Mark
1/8/2004 1:20:41 PM
"Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote in message news:<3ffd4378$0$17144$626a54ce@news.free.fr>...
> "Laurent RUHLMANN" <lruhlmann@ingesoft.fr> a �crit dans le message de
> > Hello,
> >
> > First, I wish you a happy new year !
> >

> > I'm working with Oracle 9i and I have two schemas on my database. The owner
> > of tables in the first schema is PARTERN, the other one is EXTERN.
> > I'm trying to create a foreign key in PARTERN references a table of EXTERN
> > but Oracle tell me tha I have not suffisant privileges. I have tried to put
> > every privileges possible but nothing to do.
> >
> > Any idea ?
> >
> > Laurent
> >

> EXTERN have to grant REFERENCES privilege on the referenced table to PATTERN.
>
> Regards
> Michel Cadot

Be sure to grant it directly to the user and not through a role.

HTH,
Pete's
0
empete2000 (213)
1/8/2004 3:16:30 PM
Does any1 know if this changed in 10g?

--
"Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX@Xenquery .com> wrote in message news:rvudnUxcS9ixxGCiRVn-gQ@comcast.com...

> this privilege must be granted directly to the schema that will create the
> FK reference (as shown) -- it cannot be granted to a ROLE (ORA-01919),
> except for the PUBLIC role

0
wizofoz2k1 (351)

Foreign keys referring table in other database
Hi ! IDS 11.50.FC6 I need to set up constraints between tables in different databases. According to the documentation the tables used in a foreign key definition must be in the same database. I have also tried to use synonyms and views thar refers the table in the other databas but no success. One idea is to use ER to replicate the tables in question, another would be to write triggers that does a check against synonyms. Any other ideas anybody ? TIA Ulf --_29528b80-cd1d-4bdd-9635-bd292cc1552a_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Tr...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

How do I reference a table in one database from a SQL script running in another database?
I am construvcting a number of databases, some of which contain sensitive data and most of which do not. I am attempting to handle the security issues involved in protecting sensitive data in part by putting it in its own database. If the sensitive data is in a database called d_SensitiveData, and in that database there is a table called 't_A' (I know, not very informative, but this is only a trivially simple example :-), and I have a script running in a database 'NotSensitiveData' (i.e. there is a statement at the beginning of the script "USE NotSensitiveData"), ho...

To retrive a table from one database to and another database(same table)
hi i have emp table in one database , how to retrieve same table another database through query analizer give code ,,, Hi, use the three part notation: SELECT * FROM database.owner.Objectname (replace owner by schema for SQL2k5) HTH, Jens Suessmeyer. --- http://www.sqlserver2005.de --- Hi surya While the first database is "Current" as would result from: Use FirstDatabaseName select * from OtherDatabaseName..Emp -- -Dick Christoph "surya" <suryaitha@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142588469.061525.268810@u72g2000cwu.googlegr...

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time". This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database... Thanks! "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cefcd14e-1ffa-4c85-9fa3-6dab448fc3c4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be > able to use the followi...

I am trying to set up a database using the database connectivity toolkit and 8.5. I have tables setup and each one has an autoincrementing primary ID key.
I have very little experience with databases, but I have to set one up. I am setting up a relational BD, I have several tables set up, each has a primary key set up as a ID, autoincrement. &nbsp; How can I not send this column data, and let it autoincrement like it should so that it is a unique entry. I keep on getting an error that says that the number of colums don't match. Is there any way to do this. &nbsp; I want the database to keep track of the line count for this, and increment when each new entry arrives.&nbsp; Does this make any sense? The insert data VI has a Columns input which is a 1D string array. Each element in the array corresponds to an element in the cluster, so you can just use the names of the columns and not use the ID column. I think that is what I was doing, but it did not like it, I kept getting an error saying that the array that I was sending did not have the same number of columns as the table I was sending it to. When I read the database and list out the tables and the columns, I see that ID as one column in each table. That is my problem, It seems like I have to define each element and I have to send the same number of elements as there are in the table. I am using that as the primary key so I can not by definition send that a null, it has to be&nbsp;unique.&nbsp;&nbsp; questionable wrote: It seems like I have to define each element and I have to send the same number of elements as there are in the table. No, the...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Unknown primary keys and foreign keys ina database
I would like to connect to a database and determine, on the fly, what columns are the foreign and primary keys for each table.&nbsp; Is there any way to do this using the LabView Database connectivity toolkit or a SQL query? Thank you! Brad Found it, thanks!&nbsp; For future reference (for anyone who might search for this topic) Go to: Tools -&gt; Options -&gt; View and check "system" and "hidden" objects to explore the structure of these tables.&nbsp; It's not recommended to edit them directly for obvious reasons, but will at least give an idea...

Oracle databases on a server

Database Design Problem with Hibernate Primary Key and Foreign Key
hi, I am a newbie to Hibernate. It seems to me that Hibernate does not allow you to declare both id and composite-id in .hbm.xml mapping. That was why i have a triple primary key in my ENROLLED table as following: CREATE TABLE ENROLLED ( SID INTEGER NOT NULL, CID INTEGER NOT NULL, ENROLL_SINCE DATETIME NOT NULL, EID INTEGER NOT NULL auto_increment, COURSE_ROLE_ID INTEGER DEFAULT 0, LAST_LESSON_ID INTEGER, COMPLETE_BY_DATE DATETIME, GRADE VARCHAR(10), STATUS_ID MEDIUMINT(9), IS_AVAILABLE CHAR(1) DEFAULT 'Y', CREATION_DATE DATETIME NOT NULL, LAST_UPDATED DATETIME NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (SID, CID, ENROLL_SINCE), UNIQUE KEY (EID), FOREIGN KEY(SID) REFERENCES USERS ..... and my QUIZ_GRADES table need to reference the ENROLLED table. That was why I had EID as unique key. CREATE TABLE QUIZ_GRADES (QUIZ_ID INTEGER NOT NULL, EID INTEGER NOT NULL, PASS CHAR(1), CREATION_DATE DATETIME NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(QUIZ_ID, EID), FOREIGN KEY (QUIZ_ID) REFERENCES QUIZES ON DELETE CASCADE, FOREIGN KEY (EID) REFERENCES ENROLLED(EID) ON DELETE CASCADE)TYPE=INNODB; However, Hibernate complained as following: "******Foreign key (QUIZ_GRADES [EID])) must have same number of columns as the r eferenced primary key (ENROLLED [SID,CID,ENROLL_SINCE]) net.sf.hibernate.MappingException: Foreign key (QUIZ_GRADES [EID])) must have sa me number of...

Delete a record from a table in a Database with Database Connectivity
I can't find the function from the Database Connectivity library that allows me to delete a record from a table of the database. I tried to use DB Tools Free Object.vi function but this one deletes only the table created with a query. &nbsp; Thankyou Hi, I have the same problem to delete a record&nbsp;from a table in a Database. I couldn't understand your answers very well. Can anyone give some more&nbsp;details? If you&nbsp;already have got the solution, could you let&nbsp;me know? Thank you very much! Jane&nbsp; I have used the sql query as described above a...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

SqlSpec

Sample OLAP database schema/data for MySQL database?
Are there any publicly available database schemas plus data for testing OLAP tools? I'm looking to create a simple database schema in MySQL to test out some of the open source OLAP products. Last I looked, Mondrian had a Sourceforge-downloadable version of the "standard" Food Mart database. Seth davout wrote: > Are there any publicly available database schemas plus data for testing OLAP > tools? > > I'm looking to create a simple database schema in MySQL to test out some of > the open source OLAP products. > > > -- Seth Grimes Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor grimes@altaplana.com http://altaplana.com 301-270-0795 Check out the databaseanswers website. They have a huge number of example data models. Also, google gov sites as they have many data models in pdf on the internet -- Sincerely, John K Knowledgy Consulting, LLC www.knowledgy.org knowledgy@knowledgy.org Atlanta's Business Intelligence and Knowledge Management Experts "davout" <davoutXXXYYYWWWZZZ@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:2cKdnXqh1dbQ_4PbRVnyhAA@pipex.net... > Are there any publicly available database schemas plus data for testing > OLAP tools? > > I'm looking to create a simple database schema in MySQL to test out some > of the open so...

Web resources about - Foreign key references a table in an other schema of the database - comp.databases.oracle.server

Wikipedia talk:Reference desk/Guidelines/Medical advice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I disagree with this implication that this section of the guideline represents the consensus. If you look at the last few years of discussion ...

Tony Abbott, Mike Baird write references for Bronwyn Bishop Liberal preselection rival
Bronwyn Bishop's preselection chances are dealt a blow, with Tony Abbott and Mike Baird writing references in support of a Liberal Party official ...

Lattice and MediaTek to Collaborate On Reference Smartphones For SuperMHL over USB-C
Lattice Semiconductor and MediaTek have joined forces to create reference smartphones with 4K video outputs using USB Type-C connectors and cables. ...

Canonical chooses Linux-friendly Dragonboard 410c as Ubuntu Core on ARM 64-bit reference
... only dream about with its venerable Windows. Even though Linux can run on damn-near anything, it is beneficial for developers to have a reference ...

All of The Simpsons’ best movie references compiled in one video
After 27 seasons on the air, it only makes sense that The Simpsons would reference every show, movie, book and pop culture artifact that it possibly ...

"Oleaginous spiked on March 8th, after the word was used by New York Times columnist David Brooks, in ...
Says the Merriam-Webster Dictionary website. Brooks is not the only writer who has seen fit to employ this adjective when describing the senator ...

Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are trolling each other with corny Jim Carrey references
Republican presidential rivals Donald Trump and Sen. Ted Cruz are trading barbs using corny references to actor Jim Carrey. Trump fired first ...

Deadpool's Best Easter Eggs And Pop Culture References
... in for a very different superhero movie when Deadpool finally made it to the screen. One full of violence, vulgarity, and pop culture references, ...

Cop sorry for image of mushroom cloud, reference to Islam
... Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts police officer has been placed on administrative leave for posting an image of a mushroom cloud with a reference ...

Arrow: Easter Eggs and DC Comics References In "Taken"
Man, that episode of Arrow was harrowing, epic, and exhausting.Let's get right into this whole [...]