Global Temporary Taable

I am using a global temporary table with "on commit preserve rows" in
order to pass a ref cursor back to the calling program.  The data is
returning fine.  However, I want to drop the table after the cursor is
returned.  If I insert a drop table statment inside of the procedure I
am getting the following error:

ORA-14452: attempt to create, alter or drop an index on temporary
table already in use.  If I close the session and go through TOAD I
can see the table but still can't drop it.  I get the same error.

I've researched via the internet and understand in a perfect
environment a "real" table is the way to go.  However, receiving
strong pushback from the customer.

Thanks For your help
0
neil2391 (1)
6/25/2004 5:47:08 PM
comp.databases.oracle.server 22828 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 25 Jun 2004 10:47:08 -0700, neil@blueslate.net (Neil) wrote:

>I've researched via the internet and understand in a perfect
>environment a "real" table is the way to go

In a 'perfect' environment you don't need permanent temporary tables.
Fix your database design and/or your queries.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0
Neil wrote:

> However, I want to drop the table after the cursor is
> returned.

Please explain WHY you want to DROP the table.

If I understand Oracle's intent properly, GTTs are intended to have a
permanent definition, supplied by the DBA ideally ONCE in the life of the
database).  The term TEMP is relative to the data, not the definition.

Without understanding your requirements, to me it appears that your design
is fundementally in conflict with the intent and implementation of temp
tables.

/Hans
0
forbrich (429)
6/25/2004 6:46:51 PM
Neil wrote:

> I am using a global temporary table with "on commit preserve rows" in
> order to pass a ref cursor back to the calling program.  The data is
> returning fine.  However, I want to drop the table after the cursor is
> returned.  If I insert a drop table statment inside of the procedure I
> am getting the following error:
>
> ORA-14452: attempt to create, alter or drop an index on temporary
> table already in use.  If I close the session and go through TOAD I
> can see the table but still can't drop it.  I get the same error.
>
> I've researched via the internet and understand in a perfect
> environment a "real" table is the way to go.  However, receiving
> strong pushback from the customer.
>
> Thanks For your help

The term "global temporary table" is used because

a) the table is permanently defined (hence the term "temporary")
b) the data is local to your session (hence the term "local")

:-)

Seriously though, a couple of things

i) you don't need a temp table to pass a ref cursor around.  ref cursor
point to a resultset which does not need to "exist" as a temporary table

ii) if you are heading down the gtt route - you just populate it, use
the data, and then forget about the data.  It vanishes as soon as you
exit the session.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

On 25 Jun 2004, neil@blueslate.net wrote:
> I am using a global temporary table with "on commit preserve
> rows" in order to pass a ref cursor back to the calling
> program.  The data is returning fine.  However, I want to drop
> the table after the cursor is returned.  If I insert a drop
> table statment inside of the procedure I am getting the
> following error:
>
> ORA-14452: attempt to create, alter or drop an index on
> temporary table already in use.  If I close the session and go
> through TOAD I can see the table but still can't drop it.  I
> get the same error.
>
> I've researched via the internet and understand in a perfect
> environment a "real" table is the way to go.  However,
> receiving strong pushback from the customer.

Just stop dropping the table.  Leave it there.  GTTs are used for
session-based data but they aren't to be constantly dropped.
They are tables, but their data is temporary.

If you have a connection pool, then you will need to clear it out
every call.

--
Galen Boyer
0

Oracle databases on a server

SqlSpec

install oracle database server at home
Hi I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers B. Baz wrote: > Hi > > I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - > possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM > especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Cheers > B. Practical minimums: - Pentium 600 - 512M Ram - 5G free disk - NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...) - Prefer Linux or perhaps Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro It is theoretically possible to go dn to 256M RAM but that becomes more an exercise in frustration. /Hans ...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

Sqlserver 2000 database on Oracle 9 server
Hi! how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. or how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. Thanks Hubert Mayr wrote: > Hi! > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > or > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > Thanks > Oracle Transparent Gateway. Heterogeneous services. ASCII files. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1073922683.284194@yasure>... > Hubert Mayr wrote: > > > Hi! > > > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > > or > > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > > > Thanks > > > > Oracle Transparent Gateway. > Heterogeneous services. > ASCII files. I have read some articles about this, but I am a little confused about the difference between "Oracle Transparent Gateway" and "Heterogeneous services". I want to create a database link so that the application (logging on to Oracle) will not know whether the table is actually stored in Oracle or in SQL Server. Do I need Oracle Transparent Gateway to make this possible or ...

WINODS NT SERVER Oracle
I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, i.e., one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the workarounds. Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. Do same problem exist with pcAnywhere, VNC desktop, Citrix client. Thanks, Prem On 19 Feb 2004 18:38:10 -0800, premmehrotra@hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote: >I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing >the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service >Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, >i.e., >one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the >workarounds. Because Microsoft is Microsoft and Microsoft doesn't support the BEQ protocol used by Oracle for this purpose. The only lousy workaround is to use set local=<tns service name> prior to connecting to sql*plus in a cmd window. Also you can't use the lsnrctl program to start and stop the listener for the same reason. You need to bounce the service. > >Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console >wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. OEM? It works! Need to save the init.ora on the Oracle Enterprise Management Server, using OEM, but that is about there is. Or dump Microsux T...

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table > spaces, data.... > > how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > > I appreciate ur help, > > thx > > Plactoon And the version and size are irrelevant? ;-) -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On 1 Aug 2006 15:18:38 -0700, "Plactoon" <elsersupremo@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi everyone, > >I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all >equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to >change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table >spaces, data.... > >how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > >I appreciate ur help, > >thx > >Plactoon That would be an inadvisible ...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v$database view sybrandb wrote: > dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > > in a oracle server? > > Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. > There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. > There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. > There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) > Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker > Senior Oracle DBA dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing > databases in a oracle server? Depends what you mean by "database" and "server". If "server" means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the Oracle instances ("databases"), on most ...

Strange Network Error on Oracle Database Server
Hi Oracle Gurus, We are experiencing a strange Oracle database server(Windows 2003) behaviour When we try to start Oracle database from services -- It does not start the database and in Oradim.log we see following error -- ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error and in sqlnet.ora -- Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim.exe)(HOST=host02)(USER=SYSTEM)))) However, If I try to manually start the database by login in as sys, it gets started. I have already tried following (a) Recreate the service using Oradim.exe (b) Removed sqlnet.ora file from C:\Oracle\Ora90\network\ADMIN What can be the possible reason(s) for this. Thanks If you can connect to the database instance, even if it is "idle", the service must have started. Without the service having started, you cannot connect via sqlplus.exe even on the server console (on win32). Perhaps it is taking a relatively long time for the database instance to be completely open - and the error message that you show above is a timed out connection attempt? Is the ORACLE_SID of interest "ORCL"? When you re-created the OS Service, did you set the startmode to auto or manual? Is there an init.ora in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database folder that has an IFILE entry to the real parameter file? Is the service owned by a...

Oracle management server with only one database going to 9i
We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I have done some research into Oracle Management server. I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will only be monitoring one database, possible two. The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that fact that I can use RMAN for backup, but the real reason was using it for event monitoring. We do not have the man power to continuely look at the alert log, and we are always creating scripts to monitor table sizes, etc. I was wondering if this would be a good thing, and is it commonly used for one database. I am also looking at how much overhead it needs. Size RAM ect. Is there a good READ about this? Is there any best practices for moving to 9i? handl@mts.net (Laura) wrote in message news:<e0ddcf8.0407060608.634328b7@posting.google.com>... > We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. > > I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. > Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I > have done some research into Oracle Management server. > > I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will > only be monitoring one database, possible two. > The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that > fact that I ...

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time". This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database... Thanks! "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cefcd14e-1ffa-4c85-9fa3-6dab448fc3c4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be > able to use the followi...

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files, redologs. Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work" for recent month to the second server: dbf files control files and redo logs. Then start new server on right? Is it all I have to do? Or I will meet any problems? Regards On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote: >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... >on left and hardware the same server on right > >SUN server SUN server >Solaris >Oracle database > >And now. >Left server is working. >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all >filesystems. >After that server and database were operating back for one month. >Now. >I have second SUN identical server on the right. ...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database
Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server "B" with an Access database. I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on "B". How can i do this? Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? thanks On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <m0...@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > "B" with an Access database. > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > "B". How can i do this? > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > thanks You can attach odbc tables in Access, but performance sucks big time when Access tries to resolve queries on remote tables. Keep all your data in Oracle and use passthrough queries so that Oracle does the clever stuff. (Or keep everything in Access - but concurrent access sucks). C. On 30 Apr, 14:28, "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" <..> wrote: > On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <molok> wrote: > > > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > > "B" with an Access database. > > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > > "B". How can i do this? > > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > > thanks > > You can attach odbc tables in Access, ...

US-IL-Oracle Database Admin (Client Server)
US-IL-Oracle Database Admin (Client Server) Job title : Database Admin (Client Server) - B (4-6 yrs) Order type : Contract (Temporary) Start date: February 28, 2005, Projected end date (Contract only): May 7, 2005 Working hours: From 8:00 To 17:00 Rates: Best Candidates required: 1 Work location: IL Job requirements: G4B1 Database AdministratorClient Server - B: 4 - 6 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING: RESPONSIBILITIES: Ensures the database environment is highly reliable, provides the required functionality, is efficient, and cost effective. Accountable for the creation of the logical and physical data models. Troubleshoots daily program problems to assist program users in accessing and manipulating computerized data. Analyzes and creates programs to streamline production jobs. COMPETENCIES: Establish and maintain data bases for user testing purposes and production; consult with business analysts, data modelers and designers on procedures pertaining to new and existing files; provide input to the data models (functionality, efficiency and usability); responsible for the technical aspects of one or more databases including availability/reliability; assist in the definition of the database requirements; analyze existing databases and their interfaces looking for opportunities to improve their efficiency; and resolve technical problems. QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelors degree or equivalent training or work experience; understanding of customer's...

Web resources about - Global Temporary Taable - comp.databases.oracle.server

Temporary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Report: Facebook To Open Temporary Vancouver Office To Recruit, Train Engineering Talent
Facebook will set up a temporary office in Vancouver , British Columbia, where it will conduct “boot camps” to train recent software engineering ...

Facebook brings post insights back to Pages Manager app after temporary removal
A recent update to Pages Manager for iOS has returned detailed post insights to the product after a version earlier this month was released without ...

TFRs: Temporary Flight Restrictions Aviation Pilot NOTAMs for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes ...
Get TFRs: Temporary Flight Restrictions Aviation Pilot NOTAMs on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

QR Code Temporary Tattoo SCANS!!! - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Embed metadata on your skin with these temporary QR Code tattoos. You can personalize the 2D barcode with plain text, website URL, email address, ...

Paul McCartney - Temporary Secretary - YouTube
please comment~~~~~ lyrics :::: Mister Marks Can You Find For Me Someone Strong And Sweet Fitting On My Knee She Can Keep Her Job If She Gets ...

Temporary speed reduction on Abu Dhabi-Dubai highway - The National
Radars along a stretch of the road will be set at 121kph, down from 141kph, as roadwork is carried out.

Labor dilemma on temporary protection visas for refugees
... internal debate over whether to shadow the Abbott government closely on refugee policy or oppose the government's tough plan to restore temporary ...

Apple Watch Diary: A (temporary) world without Apple Pay
I said last summer in my Apple Watch Diary series that Apple Pay arriving in the UK was the tipping point for me in transforming the Watch from ...

Which Temporary Profile Picture Frames Are Available on Facebook?
Facebook’s temporary profile picture frames are now available for more and more sports teams, causes and events, but did you know that there ...