Global Temporary Table

Hello Oraclegurus,

        I would like to know if i am doing the right thing or not??

       I've created a global temporary table "tempcomp".

         "create global temporary table tempcomp (col1 number,col2
char,col3varchar2)" .

         I looked into these groups and it was mentioned somewhere
that default is "on commit delete rows"... I am assuming that the rows
are being deleted after commit and not stored .

       We have a web application  which would be calling a stored
procedure which inserts into a global temporary some values we need
the values only for temporary time i.e., till user wants to study
those values .

        The web client users could be many and they all connect the
application with their respective id but the database connectivity is
using only one database userid "scott" and accessing the schema and
shcema procedures.

         The procedure call does inserts into the temporary global
table.

         The data that would be inserted could be like this 'bike'
'big' 'bum' etc

        question: If one web user queries the table .... "where col2
like 'b%'

      will he get the data which was inserted on execution of
procedure by the first user who caused the inserts 'bike' 'bum'etc
...????

        or each web user is a seperate session and the select query
will be unique for each user ...?????

       Please let me know if i am using the right thing by using
global temporary table !

    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Raj.
0
rjdave (3)

Raj wrote:

> Hello Oraclegurus,
>
>         I would like to know if i am doing the right thing or not??
>
>        I've created a global temporary table "tempcomp".
>
>          "create global temporary table tempcomp (col1 number,col2
> char,col3varchar2)" .
>
>          I looked into these groups and it was mentioned somewhere
> that default is "on commit delete rows"... I am assuming that the rows
> are being deleted after commit and not stored .
>
>        We have a web application  which would be calling a stored
> procedure which inserts into a global temporary some values we need
> the values only for temporary time i.e., till user wants to study
> those values .
>
>         The web client users could be many and they all connect the
> application with their respective id but the database connectivity is
> using only one database userid "scott" and accessing the schema and
> shcema procedures.
>
>          The procedure call does inserts into the temporary global
> table.
>
>          The data that would be inserted could be like this 'bike'
> 'big' 'bum' etc
>
>         question: If one web user queries the table .... "where col2
> like 'b%'
>
>       will he get the data which was inserted on execution of
> procedure by the first user who caused the inserts 'bike' 'bum'etc
> ..????
>
>         or each web user is a seperate session and the select query
> will be unique for each user ...?????
>
>        Please let me know if i am using the right thing by using
> global temporary table !
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>     Regards,
>     Raj.

The data that is inserted into a global temporary table is private to the
session that put it there. If I insert 'bum', and you insert 'big', and
fred does a select, fred sees no rows whatsoever. If I do a select, I see
'bum'; if you do a select, you see 'big'. No-one, under any circumstances,
sees the entire set of rows that happen to be present at any one
nano-second.

Regards
HJR

See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!

hjr (2065)
10/18/2003 8:03:01 AM
Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Raj wrote:
>

>>Hello Oraclegurus,
>>
>>        I would like to know if i am doing the right thing or not??
>>
>>       I've created a global temporary table "tempcomp".
>>
>>         "create global temporary table tempcomp (col1 number,col2
>>char,col3varchar2)" .
>>
>>         I looked into these groups and it was mentioned somewhere
>>that default is "on commit delete rows"... I am assuming that the rows
>>are being deleted after commit and not stored .
>>
>>       We have a web application  which would be calling a stored
>>procedure which inserts into a global temporary some values we need
>>the values only for temporary time i.e., till user wants to study
>>those values .
>>
>>        The web client users could be many and they all connect the
>>application with their respective id but the database connectivity is
>>using only one database userid "scott" and accessing the schema and
>>shcema procedures.
>>
>>         The procedure call does inserts into the temporary global
>>table.
>>
>>         The data that would be inserted could be like this 'bike'
>>'big' 'bum' etc
>>
>>        question: If one web user queries the table .... "where col2
>>like 'b%'
>>
>>      will he get the data which was inserted on execution of
>>procedure by the first user who caused the inserts 'bike' 'bum'etc
>>..????
>>
>>        or each web user is a seperate session and the select query
>>will be unique for each user ...?????
>>
>>       Please let me know if i am using the right thing by using
>>global temporary table !
>>
>>    Thanks in advance.
>>    Regards,
>>    Raj.
>

> The data that is inserted into a global temporary table is private to the
> session that put it there. If I insert 'bum', and you insert 'big', and
> fred does a select, fred sees no rows whatsoever. If I do a select, I see
> 'bum'; if you do a select, you see 'big'. No-one, under any circumstances,
> sees the entire set of rows that happen to be present at any one
> nano-second.
>
> Regards
> HJR

And you might end up with seeing nothing, too, depending
on your web application - only when it uses a persistent
(stateful) session.
--
Regards, Frank van Bortel

0
fvanbortel (757)
10/20/2003 8:28:11 PM
even though the data is session-specific, keep in mind that their may not be
a persistent session for the users in your web application -- for instance,
the PL/SQL webtoolkit automatically does a commit after executing the
procedure called via the URL -- so that would delete the rows in the temp
table, and even if it didn't, they user would never return to the same
session again to be able to retrieve the temp table contents

what is you web app architecture? if you aren't using a tool that has
dedicated persistent connections, oracle's temporary tables aren't going to
help.

Mark C. Stock
www.enquery.com
(888) 512-2048

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr@dizwell.com> wrote in message
> Raj wrote:
>
> > Hello Oraclegurus,
> >
> >         I would like to know if i am doing the right thing or not??
> >
> >        I've created a global temporary table "tempcomp".
> >
> >          "create global temporary table tempcomp (col1 number,col2
> > char,col3varchar2)" .
> >
> >          I looked into these groups and it was mentioned somewhere
> > that default is "on commit delete rows"... I am assuming that the rows
> > are being deleted after commit and not stored .
> >
> >        We have a web application  which would be calling a stored
> > procedure which inserts into a global temporary some values we need
> > the values only for temporary time i.e., till user wants to study
> > those values .
> >
> >         The web client users could be many and they all connect the
> > application with their respective id but the database connectivity is
> > using only one database userid "scott" and accessing the schema and
> > shcema procedures.
> >
> >          The procedure call does inserts into the temporary global
> > table.
> >
> >          The data that would be inserted could be like this 'bike'
> > 'big' 'bum' etc
> >
> >         question: If one web user queries the table .... "where col2
> > like 'b%'
> >
> >       will he get the data which was inserted on execution of
> > procedure by the first user who caused the inserts 'bike' 'bum'etc
> > ..????
> >
> >         or each web user is a seperate session and the select query
> > will be unique for each user ...?????
> >
> >        Please let me know if i am using the right thing by using
> > global temporary table !
> >
> >     Thanks in advance.
> >     Regards,
> >     Raj.
>

> The data that is inserted into a global temporary table is private to the
> session that put it there. If I insert 'bum', and you insert 'big', and
> fred does a select, fred sees no rows whatsoever. If I do a select, I see
> 'bum'; if you do a select, you see 'big'. No-one, under any circumstances,
> sees the entire set of rows that happen to be present at any one
> nano-second.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> --
> See my brand new website, soon to be full of
> new articles: www.dizwell.com.
> Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!

mcstock (24)

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time". This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database... Thanks! "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cefcd14e-1ffa-4c85-9fa3-6dab448fc3c4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be > able to use the followi...

Global Temporary Table with column of type ROWID and Oracle Updates
All, I have proposed a solution which uses a global temporary table to remember an updated record via its rowid. Concerns have been risen that this will cause trouble in case of an update of the Oracle version (currently 10.2.0.2) to another version with a changed format for ROWID type columns. My reply was that during an upgrade of DB software there will be no segments of the global temporary table because of the way Oracle allocates segments (see [1]): only on first insert in a session a segment will be allocated and consequently only then data blocks will be formatted. So there should be no issue at all even if the format of ROWID changes. Is my reasoning correct? (I could not find anything relevant to this in metalink.) Thanks! robert [1] http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/schema.htm#sthref773 On Dec 16, 7:23=A0am, Robert Klemme <shortcut...@googlemail.com> wrote: > All, > > I have proposed a solution which uses a global temporary table to > remember an updated record via its rowid. Concerns have been risen > that this will cause trouble in case of an update of the Oracle > version (currently 10.2.0.2) to another version with a changed format > for ROWID type columns. =A0My reply was that during an upgrade of DB > software there will be no segments of the global temporary table > because of the way Oracle allocates segments (see [1]): only on first > insert in a session a segment will be allocated a...

Howto Create global temporary table in Oracle 8.0.5
Hi Guys, I did create a temporary table in Oracle 8i without any problem. However, How can I create a temporary table in Oracle 8.0 CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE table (a RAW(8),b RAW(8)) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS; I executed this statement and I got this error ERROR at line 1: ORA-00901: invalid CREATE command It looks like a new feature in Oracle 8i How can I create a temporary table in Oracle 8.0? Thank you very much Claude ciao > It looks like a new feature in Oracle 8i > How can I create a temporary table in Oracle 8.0? <troll> set compatible to 8.1.7.0.0 and restart the database instance, perhaps? </troll> You can't get there from here. You'd be far better to do this in 9.2.0 or later, where optimizer dynamic sampling can sample stats for the GTT at runtime. You might even consider upgrading all of the way to 10.1 and apply the 10.1.0 patchset 2 (10.1.0.4) and CPUOct2005 patchsets. You might even consider upgrading all of the way to 10.2. -bdbafh No luck, I cannot start the database with compatible at 8.1.7.0.0 I got this error ORA-00401: the value for parameter compatible is not supported by this release Is there another way to create a temporary table for this version of oracle. I need it for a trigger I want to save some values < before delete > into a table and then reuse those values <after delete > I use a temporary table in oracle 9.2.0, I have to do the same trick in oracle 8.0.5. Do you know another way...

query sql server/oracle table from Db2 or join db2 table with sqlserver table
My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to db2 on the mainframe. TIA Roger ...

query sql server/oracle table from Db2 or join db2 table with sqlserver table #2
My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to db2 on the mainframe. TIA Roger Roger wrote: > My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I > need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I > also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. > How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? > I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to > db2 on the mainframe. You need to look at Websphere Information Integrator along with the relational wrappers for MS SQL server and Oracle. Ian, its a canned CRM application that currently connects to DB2. I cannot run the app on Websphere. A few years could use relational connect and create federated nickname on db2. Can I still do that ? TIA On Apr 27, 6:01 pm, Ian <ianb...@mobileaudio.com> wrote: > Roger wrote: > > My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I > > need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I > > also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. > > How can I accomplish this ? Do i n...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Linking SQL Server tables to Oracle Tables DSN-Less
Hi, i have an oracle database and an SQL Database i query both and at the mo i have to query one then put records in an array then query the other than update the array. Is there a method in VB6 that i can simply link the two (dsn-less connection)?? If anyone as a solution you would save me hours !! Cheers Gaz gonkowonko@gmail.com wrote: > i have an oracle database and an SQL Database i query both and at the > mo i have to query one then put records in an array then query the > other than update the array. > > Is there a method in VB6 that i can simply link the two (dsn-less > connection)?? BDE (Borland Database Engine) is similar to ODBC and it allows heterogenous database joins - e.g. you can select a table from one BDE data source and joined it (using SQL) with another BDE data source. Have done this a few times in Delphi (but never put that code into production). The vast majority of times this type of thing is not a bright idea. It can (and usually do) cause havoc with performance. > If anyone as a solution you would save me hours !! I would rather solve this at server side then in VB at the client side. Oracle provides a transparent interface into other databases, including SQL-Server. From the client side the SQL-Server table will look like a normal Oracle table. -- Billy Hey Gaz, You can use Oracle Heterogeneous Services to allow ODBC based Database Links to be created in the Oracle Server, after which you can query the SQL Server t...

Global Temporary Tables
Hi, I am inserting records to a global temporary table(say A) in which a trigger is fired and im getting results from other global tempory tables(say B, C, D,..)... This is my scenario... I am able to fetch the results from the global temporary tables B,C,D,...when inserting directly in the table A from the front end. But I am not able to fetch the results from the global temporary tables B,C,D,...when inserting thru a web service (in dotnet)in the table A from the front end. Can somebody explain the reson for the above and give a solution to fetch the records from the global tempory tables thru webservice..Thanks in advance. ...

Global temporary table
Hi all! I dont know how to declare and use a global temporary table in my java stored procedure.... I used these statements: sql="declare global temporary table session.temp(recordinteger,eventtype character(20)) not logged"; Statement st=con.createStatement(); st.execute(sql); For inserting I'm trying to do.. sql="insert into session.temp values(2003,'fatal error'); st.executeUpdate(sql); But its flagging an error.With just the declare statement there is no error.But i read somewhere that a temporary table space needs to be created.I dont kn...

Oracle databases on a server

Global Temporary Tables
Each, Am wanting to create a temporary table within a PLSQL package. Have used EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'create global temporary table temp_status........' Problem now is that package wont compile due to insert statements for this table. Compiler has no idea about this temp table or its structure. I take it temporary tables arent designed for this use are am i missing something here? Cheers Roy Munson wrote: > Each, > > Am wanting to create a temporary table within a PLSQL package. Have > used > > EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'create global temporary table temp_status........' > > Problem now is that package wont compile due to insert statements for > this table. Compiler has no idea about this temp table or its > structure. > > I take it temporary tables arent designed for this use are am i > missing something here? > > Cheers Please read the concepts manual about global temporary tables, and forget those M$ programming practices. There can be no valid reason to create (global temporary or other) tables, using pl/sql (a.k.a. on-the-fly). And now that you're asking - yes you completely missed the purpose of global temporary tables - as well as the Oracle transaction model, I assume. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel "Roy Munson" <mtproc@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:853055e7.0504220914.5e7640b8@posting.google.com... > Each, > > Am wanting to create a temporary table within a PLSQL package...

SqlSpec

To retrive a table from one database to and another database(same table)
hi i have emp table in one database , how to retrieve same table another database through query analizer give code ,,, Hi, use the three part notation: SELECT * FROM database.owner.Objectname (replace owner by schema for SQL2k5) HTH, Jens Suessmeyer. --- http://www.sqlserver2005.de --- Hi surya While the first database is "Current" as would result from: Use FirstDatabaseName select * from OtherDatabaseName..Emp -- -Dick Christoph "surya" <suryaitha@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142588469.061525.268810@u72g2000cwu.googlegr...

SQL Server tables to Oracle
Please inform can I transfer sql server tables to Oracle, without using sql loader and external table concept. How................ "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle.dba@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1154276611.924501.12530@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Please inform can I transfer sql server tables to Oracle, without using > sql loader and external table concept. > How................ > You can use DTS packages from within SQL Server. The only thing you need to do is install the Oracle client libraries on the SQL Server box and define a connection to the Oracle instance. Matthias Hoys wrote: > "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle.dba@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:1154276611.924501.12530@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >> Please inform can I transfer sql server tables to Oracle, without using >> sql loader and external table concept. >> How................ >> > > You can use DTS packages from within SQL Server. The only thing you need to > do is install the Oracle client libraries on the SQL Server box and define a > connection to the Oracle instance. And then manually rename the table names to upper case. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:23:32 -0700, aman.oracle.dba wrote: > Please inform can I transfer sql server tables to Oracle, wi...

EXPLAIN and Global Temporary Tables
I have my developers explaining the stored procedures that they write using visual studio. These stored procedures are for DB2 os390. In one case, one of the developers has defined a global temporary table that he uses to put the input parms into and then uses it to join against to create a dataset. When he runs explain (both visual explain, and CA's explain) it chokes on the SESSION.TABLE saying that it doesn't exist. Is there anyway I can have them explain these when they have global temporary tables defined? ...

Temporary table in SQL Server
Hello! 1. Short Intro There is my application, I wrote in Access 2002 (.adp), but database is located on MS SQL 2000 Server. I have 2 forms (Form1, Form2). In the Form1 user could select something and click OK, which executes Form2. In the Form2 I want present a table which will be transformating later into several updates to main table in database. Because there are multiple simultanous activities, I want to use temporary table (ie. #temp), because its name and content is local to connection. 2. Problem When I try to make something like this: Dim strCnn As String Dim strSQL As String Dim...

Permission to the Oracle database table
Hello. I need some administrative help. Is there possible to give read grants to one user, and to give another one (to the same table) only write grants? Or better - is it possible to store procedure that will have access to the table and user has only rights to this procedure, not to the table? Thanks a lot for any advice. Yes, you can grant one user read, and another write access, as long as it is not the owner of the table; the owner always has all rights. Your last option is also possible, and it the correct approach as far as I am concerned. User A is owner of the tables, account is locked. User B is owner of packaged procedures, and has been granted access to the tables of A. Make this a direct grant, not through a role. Account B is locked, too. All application users are granted execute rights on packages of user B. App user c can have other packages granted than app user d. This is -imho- the only way to write database indepenent applications: your packages are platform specific, your front end just calls procedures. There is even an other variation, supported by Oracle development tools like Designer: have yet an intermediate user that owns the so called table API procedures; these procedures do all manipulation and business rule constraint checking, and are being called by the application layer (which would be owned by user B in the above example) Hth, Frank van Bortel ...

Global temporary tables performance
Hello, I'm trying to use a global temporary tables with a bulk insert, and the performance for the temporary table is about 5 times LESS than those of a real table - shouldent it be the opposite way? Here is my example: -- Create real table and a temporary one create table realTable( id number(15) ); create global temporary table tmpTable(id number(15)) ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS; -- Insert 50000 records with bulk operation -- into the rea table and the temporary one, and getting the time it took declare tableSize constant number := 50000; type ty_numTable is varray (50000) of number(15); numTable ty_numTable := ty_numTable(); st pls_integer; en pls_integer; begin -- Fill up a data array numTable.extend( tableSize ); for i in 1 .. tableSize loop numTable(i) := i; end loop; -- -- Inserting data to the real table st := dbms_utility.get_time(); forall i in numTable.first .. numTable.last insert into realTable values (numTable(i)); en := dbms_utility.get_Time(); dbms_output.put_line( en-st ); -- Time taken for the insert -- -- Inserting data to the temporary table st := dbms_utility.get_time(); forall i in numTable.first .. numTable.last insert into tmpTable values (numTable(i)); en := dbms_utility.get_Time(); dbms_output.put_line( en-st ); -- Time taken for the insert end; The output is: 11 57 Do you have any idea? TIA. Ronen S. Known bug (at least I think is't known, I've mentioned here a couple of times). if you do a sn...

Web resources about - Global Temporary Table - comp.databases.oracle.server

Temporary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Report: Facebook To Open Temporary Vancouver Office To Recruit, Train Engineering Talent
Facebook will set up a temporary office in Vancouver , British Columbia, where it will conduct “boot camps” to train recent software engineering ...

Facebook brings post insights back to Pages Manager app after temporary removal
A recent update to Pages Manager for iOS has returned detailed post insights to the product after a version earlier this month was released without ...

TFRs: Temporary Flight Restrictions Aviation Pilot NOTAMs for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes ...
Get TFRs: Temporary Flight Restrictions Aviation Pilot NOTAMs on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

QR Code Temporary Tattoo SCANS!!! - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Embed metadata on your skin with these temporary QR Code tattoos. You can personalize the 2D barcode with plain text, website URL, email address, ...

Paul McCartney - Temporary Secretary - YouTube
please comment~~~~~ lyrics :::: Mister Marks Can You Find For Me Someone Strong And Sweet Fitting On My Knee She Can Keep Her Job If She Gets ...

Temporary speed reduction on Abu Dhabi-Dubai highway - The National
Radars along a stretch of the road will be set at 121kph, down from 141kph, as roadwork is carried out.

Labor dilemma on temporary protection visas for refugees
... internal debate over whether to shadow the Abbott government closely on refugee policy or oppose the government's tough plan to restore temporary ...

Apple Watch Diary: A (temporary) world without Apple Pay
I said last summer in my Apple Watch Diary series that Apple Pay arriving in the UK was the tipping point for me in transforming the Watch from ...

Which Temporary Profile Picture Frames Are Available on Facebook?
Facebook’s temporary profile picture frames are now available for more and more sports teams, causes and events, but did you know that there ...